• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stolen Weapon Database

Re: Stolen Weapon Database

I agree that the website looks like crap (and probably wouldn't help), but what's the perceived danger? The government already maintains a database on stolen firearms (NCIC), and so what if someone else has the information? AR15.com maintains a database that is freely accessible by the public.

Hmm, let's see ... providing your personal information & the fact that you have firearms to someone you do not know & has no ties to a legitimate organization?

Hi everyone,
I try to stay out of forum discussions because I don’t want everyone to think that I am shamelessly trying to promote my website, but I wanted to clarify some of the questions and comments that were being made to help bridge the information gap between my intentions and your perceptions. To begin, I know the site has somewhat of a “ghetto” name that apparently seems to immediately draw suspicion. Unfortunately all of the good names I came up with were taken and I wanted something short and easily remembered. Had I not already introduced the site with this name I would change it, but hindsight is 20/20. With that being said, I assure you that I am not some sort of Brady zealot. I am a proud gun owner and huge supporter of gun ownership and everything it stands for. One of my good friends laughed hysterically when he heard that comment being referred to me. Regarding the site looking like crap; that is entirely my fault
blush.gif
. I wanted a simple, user friendly layout without any frills and being the not so artistic person I am, that is what I came up with. I know many of you are wondering why I created this site and the answer is that most people do not have access to NCIC and simply have no way of checking if a firearm is stolen aside from calling their local police department, which is generally a huge hassle for a simple question. My goal for this website was to create a database of stolen firearms that anyone can quickly and anonymously search. I made sure that this database could never be used to create a gun registry of any sort. The only personal information that is required is an email address to report a stolen firearm so a person with information regarding the gun may contact you, and it is never shown to the person contacting you, unless you reply back to them. I also encourage people on the FAQ page to create an anonymous email address through yahoo or hotmail if they are uncomfortable posting their real email address. I hope this will change your mind about my website and my intentions, and if not, I hope you will contact me through this forum or through the Contact Us link on my website and help me improve the site. Every penny of this website has come out of my pocket and I would like to see it become a useful tool. Our database is growing every day and currently contains over 700 stolen firearms from across the nation. If one of these guns is returned to the rightful owner and the thief is brought to justice I will be happy.

So enlighten me here...HOW do you catch the thief? I mean anyone can enter a ser. #. If there is no way to track who,what,where...then how does this work?
And do you REALLY think someone with a stolen gun or one that might be stolen is going to put that info on your website?

I understand that you might be trying to help people....but I really do not see your site going anywhere or getting off the ground. If a person reports their gun stolen to the police...it gets in the system where if the gun turns up at a pawn shop, used in a crime and recovered,etc....then the gun will be returned to the owner.

Good luck to you.

Peace,Stan

I can see some folks views but................ There are plenty of transactions made FTF, at shows, swap meets, yard sales or where ever that are never recorded. It would be nice to have someplace to look or put a number into especially if there may be any question. Sure we can always go to the local LE and have it run but before stepping into a pile of shit it would be nice to have a heads up. Lots of opinions can be said about this and I am fairly neutral at this point. Some people just aren't comfy asking LE questions, guilty or not.

I know, why worry if you have nothing to hide right?

BgBmBoo- If I gave the impression that this site is a substitute for NCIC, I apologize. That is not my intention at all. I feel the reason NCIC is so effective is because it is a centralized database that eliminates the need for calling around to every local LE agency to see if a firearm in question is stolen. That is what I wanted to create, a centralized database of stolen firearms that is accessible to everyone. Is it fool-proof or the greatest idea since sliced bread? Not at all, but maybe someone is about to buy a gun from an individual and for whatever reason, they don't want to call the police, and they enter the serial in my site and it comes back as stolen. That person could anonymously give the owner information about the location of the gun. This is of course a best case scenario, but the purpose is the same as all of the stolen firearm threads on almost every gun forum. I hope I have at least convinced you that I have no ill intentions if nothing else.
Thanks

I entered 12345678

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DISCLAIMER: All information in our database is user-supplied content. HotGunz.com makes no guarantee or warrantee as to the validity or accuracy of the information. Just because a serial number has/has not been reported to us as stolen does not guarantee that it is in fact stolen/not stolen. The only way to be 100% certain is to contact your local police department and request the serial number be ran through NCIC
</div></div>