• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Student Debt?

Being a Navy Nuke isn't a bad route either. The only issue I have with community colleges are sometimes the professors/courses are lackluster (exists at traditional colleges as well). I also wouldn't mind my kids picking up a trade and work towards starting their own business.

College in general has gone down a bad path of diluted education. I honestly feel bad for managers now.

Vocational Technical Colleges.
Highly underrated.

In-state tuition at The University of Texas from 1996-2000 was right around $100 per credit hour. I wrote a check to the registrar’s office before each semester for $1500-1800. 3 morning classes on MWF and 2 morning classes on TTH allowed me time to commute to my after school job. 5-6 hr shifts 4-5 days per week earned me food money, gas money, car insurance money, date money, and tuition money. My parents paid the fees for AP exams and I turned that investment into the equivalent of 2 semesters of full time schooling.

The tuition calculator at utexas.edu currently estimates tuition at ~$6000 per semester…

Not sure but I can tell you certain races who only need a Pulse to get into a good school while others need years of great grades, testing; have about a 60% failure rate in the first year.

Its almost like, allowing people who haven't earned the right to be there; won't be successful.

But that's what happens when gov sticks their hands in everything and demands you let less qualified people in based on their skin color.

Same shit different day.

Wasn't there a supreme court ruling on that being racial discrimination?

Nevermind, I just looked it up. The decision is pending. Hopefully with this court we can see positive movement on this front.
See ---> Students for Fair Admissions v. President and Fellows of Harvard College

You don't know what everyone's financial situation is.
it doesn't get better eating out and drinking over-priced coffee.
if you are rich enough to afford to eat out 2-3 times a day, you don't need to complain about student loans. jmo.

In-state tuition at The University of Texas from 1996-2000 was right around $100 per credit hour. I wrote a check to the registrar’s office before each semester for $1500-1800. 3 morning classes on MWF and 2 morning classes on TTH allowed me time to commute to my after school job. 5-6 hr shifts 4-5 days per week earned me food money, gas money, car insurance money, date money, and tuition money. My parents paid the fees for AP exams and I turned that investment into the equivalent of 2 semesters of full time schooling.

The tuition calculator at utexas.edu currently estimates tuition at ~$6000 per semester…
similar increases here, with tuition triple what it was 20 years ago.
of course, not because more professors or higher salaries, but mostly additional administration costs, because they have to have diversity officers, and support programs for everything.

not at all, but sorry you misunderstood.
my daughter didn't escape debt completely, and she worked...and i was referring to people that racked up over $100k in debt or something far beyond tuition and boarding costs. heck, my daughter saved us a lot just going to a state school in our state. tuition is $14k vs $43k for kids from out of state.
if she chose university of michigan (for example) it would have been $52k vs $12k if we lived there.
i suspect a lot of kids chose schools because they could get the money, not because it made financial sense.

I don't know many that racked up that much beyond tuition, room and board. I am sure those individuals exist but they are in the minority. The issue is the cost of tuition, even state schools are becoming outlandish.

I would rather my tax money go toward education or healthcare than some transgender study or arming Ukraine.

I don't know many that racked up that much beyond tuition, room and board. I am sure those individuals exist but they are in the minority. The issue is the cost of tuition, even state schools are becoming outlandish.

I would rather my tax money go toward education or healthcare than some transgender study or arming Ukraine.
Living costs are crazy. Out of school tuituion rates are nuts too. Some states have insane instate.
For example, it was cheaper for NJ residents to go to out of state schools than their own in state schools.

Room+Board+Tuition+books+Fees can easily be 20-25K a year at an instate school.

Reactions: AngryKoala
Can be good or bad, definitely depends on the individual. The same can be said for college as well. Driven individuals seem to thrive no matter the path.
Yea they are great till you find out they are a scam, non accredited and you are still taking out huge loans.

The best thing is to go into the trades. Linemen, Electrican, Plumber, Elevator, ect. You get paid while you apprentice, school is free and in 4 years you have your licence and make great money + OT.

Living costs are crazy. Out of school tuituion rates are nuts too. Some states have insane instate.
For example, it was cheaper for NJ residents to go to out of state schools than their own in state schools.

Room+Board+Tuition+books+Fees can easily be 20-25K a year at an instate school.

Usually out of state is more expensive but yea 10k+ is typical.

Yea they are great till you find out they are a scam, non accredited and you are still taking out huge loans.

The best thing is to go into the trades. Linemen, Electrican, Plumber, Elevator, ect. You get paid while you apprentice, school is free and in 4 years you have your licence and make great money + OT.

Whoa. Not all vo-techs are scams just become some very high profile ones were.
Same applies to online colleges.
Oklahoma and Texas both have some nice vo-tech's that I can think of off the top of my head. As with any educational institution make sure you do your research before signing up.

As fare as I can determine it that you bought something, an education, just like I bought my car or house. So because I made a poor investment should I have my debts forgiven and get a free car or house?

Sounds good to me.

Does that work for you, Potato Joe?
Hey,

I will preface this with: I am a registered Democrat, but I am a rational adult and I make my own decisions based on facts, including my conceal carry permit and support of the second amendment. I stumbled upon this site while grumbling about idiots crying for their student loans to be forgiven. What!?! I have MULTIPLE college degrees, for which I worked my tail off and paid my way through school each step of the way. This student loan forgiveness BS rubs the wrong way. Since I paid in full for my education (NO help from anyone other than myself), can they finish paying off my mortgage on my house for me instead? I mean, really. It’s disgusting. It sets a bad example for those currently attending college, and it sets a bad precedent in general. Thanks for letting me vent… I appreciate y’all.

Hey,

I will preface this with: I am a registered Democrat, but I am a rational adult and I make my own decisions based on facts, including my conceal carry permit and support of the second amendment. I stumbled upon this site while grumbling about idiots crying for their student loans to be forgiven. What!?! I have MULTIPLE college degrees, for which I worked my tail off and paid my way through school each step of the way. This student loan forgiveness BS rubs the wrong way. Since I paid in full for my education (NO help from anyone other than myself), can they finish paying off my mortgage on my house for me instead? I mean, really. It’s disgusting. It sets a bad example for those currently attending college, and it sets a bad precedent in general. Thanks for letting me vent… I appreciate y’all.
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Hide. Have a tough skin and you'll be ok. Just look out for Lowlight, he's an evil one for sure. ;)

Sounds to me like you might be a 'DINO' Democrat In Name Only.

So the folks that created this fucked up mess/regulations are going to "fix" it with more of my tax dollars?
Asking for a friend.
See anything wrong/familiar with this ^^^.

R

Hey,

Mind if i ask you why you are a registered democrat?

Mind if i ask you why you are a registered democrat?
yeah, i don't want it to seem like an attack or pile on, but i am curious what democrat policies are still attractive to folks.
i won't get into the fact that they never actually deliver anything they promise...

Reactions: DIBBS and Jgunner
yeah, i don't want it to seem like an attack or pile on, but i am curious what democrat policies are still attractive to folks.
i won't get into the fact that they never actually deliver anything they promise...
Thats all i wanted to know as well.

Thats all i wanted to know as well.
open borders - mass immigration
crt - wypipo are evil
make all drugs legal and let people die
lgbt+ indoctrination in schools
ban firearms
defund the police
keep chronically failing public schools open and let the kids suffer and fail
eliminate 1st amendment and make criticism of the government illegal
wage war on small businesses so only big box stores survive
give china anything it wants, and cover for them when they kill millions
abortion on demand up to 3 months postpartum....

did i miss anything?

Reactions: Maxwell and Maggot
I agree with you. When kid is applying to college, they have no financial education background, and can't fully understand what does it mean to take a loan. They don't understand all the responsibility, but it may be the only way to get a degree. I found a statistic, that "The number of people with student loans outstanding is now 43.4 million"
It's easy to judge those who took a loan, and can pay it off, but we may not see the whole picture. But as long as there is demand, there will be supply

As long as the federal gov’ment makes funds available to CHILDREN the schools will keep raising prices.

Remove the opportunities for stupid choices and watch the prices follow.

Tax the schools dowery to pay off the loans. 😈

If you're a "kid" at college age it's either because your parents failed you, or college isn't a good fit for you. That's no excuse to put a burden on everyone else. Kids in other parts of the world have been working 60 hour weeks and helping to support their family for years by the time they hit 18. Some time ago, the same could be said for kids in the US.

My 12 year old is 20 feet away from me right now in my office. He works eight to ten hour days three days a week during the summer at $10 an hour. By the end of the summer he plans to build a 6mm variant off of an origin with his own money. I'll cover the glass. By the time he reaches high school, he'll be full time during the summer and part time during the school year. Hours will vary depending on his courseload and extracurricular activities. I did the same when I was his age.

For the love of God, raise your kids to be productive and teach them basic money management. I have no interest in paying for their basket weaving degrees.

Everyone wants to blame the government. Frankly, that's bullshit. Whatever happened to taking responsibility?

if you want to have adult like rights and privileges, you have to have adult like responsibility. "I didn't know" is not a fucking excuse for not paying the debt you sign on the dotted line for.

Yes, availability of loans has driven tuition costs increasing well above inflation for 20+ years… That does not change accepted personal responsibility for debt.

As fare as I can determine it that you bought something, an education, just like I bought my car or house. So because I made a poor investment should I have my debts forgiven and get a free car or house?

Sounds good to me.

Does that work for you, Potato Joe?
If you are the right shade of brown… yes.

Bribing the electorate with their own money….

DeTocqueville was right, even if I can’t spell it before coffee and I am too lazy to look it up.

Sirhr

They do this for teachers in the form of a grant. 5 years in a poverty area and 15k of the student loan debt is paid off. This usually amounts to 30ish percent.

College loans are predatory at $400/credit hour at a typical public 4 year college. They require fluff classes to lengthen the time spent at the institution. Wages have not kept up with the cost of college.
Because colleges do the math to the exact penny on how much they can extract from the student loan program… by making the student an indentured servant… and price their college accordingly. While professors make 300k for teaching 2 classes and their time is spent looking for ways to turn students into communists.

College prices reflect availability of loans. Stop the loans and the price of college drops over night.

Why is it that a student at 17 can get 200,000 in college loans. But the bank won’t touch a young person with ambition for a $20,000 business startup loan?

Ummmmmmm….

Sirhr

i survived on top ramen. bisquick, $0.25 pot pies and white rice.

these days, kids eat lunch at the campus panera bread.

once they graduate they whine about student debt while sipping on starbucks coffee.
Don’t forget the $1,599 latest model phone and $2000 - $3000 a year spent on data and phone plans and Hulu for phone, computer, car, parents basement…

And the electric car.

And the latest fashions and trips so they can Instagram themselves and aspire to be “influencers.” Instead of building useful careers.

Sirhr

Damn. I've accumulated quite a lot of debts. I think I will have to go to more than one remote job because of it. I'm freelancing as it is. I learned web design in six months. At the same time, I'm studying at university. I do my design work sitting on asa miami campus. I use local WiFi. Maybe I'm just unlucky. But I want more money to live a good life. I want to eat good food, work, get paid, and still be a model student. I demand a lot from myself, but that's how I've had it my whole life. I want to excel and make my parents proud. I'm the first person to get a college degree in our family. What can you tell me about all this? I want to feel your support.
Pay as much as possible as you go.
Drive a 10 year old econobox with roll up windows.
Eat ramen and saltine crackers if you must and don't get too wrapped up in chasing females.
Stay focused and committed while you stretch your dollar.

After a long day laboring in the hot sun, a glass of ice-cold water will taste better than the finest scotch or champagne. True appreciation requires a frame of reference. Suffer a little bit now and the satisfaction you seek will be magnified in time.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Because colleges do the math to the exact penny on how much they can extract from the student loan program… by making the student an indentured servant… and price their college accordingly. While professors make 300k for teaching 2 classes and their time is spent looking for ways to turn students into communists.

College prices reflect availability of loans. Stop the loans and the price of college drops over night.

Why is it that a student at 17 can get 200,000 in college loans. But the bank won’t touch a young person with ambition for a $20,000 business startup loan?

Ummmmmmm….

Sirhr

100%. The only issue would be access would be more difficult. There are ways to navigate through that though.

They just need to do away with student loans. The market will fix itself.
Correct. Good universities will have good, employable graduates. Who will appreciate their educations. And as a result, will give back to the University's Endowment. Which can grow and be used to fund scholarships for the deserving who cannot afford an college education.

And cultivate business at universities, instead of rejecting capitalism. And then the business community will fund scholarships and infrastructure and send their employees to get educated, etc. And endow the place further.

Noone is going to pay for a brainwashing indoctrination center except retards who want to get indoctrinated and sell their life away doing it. Then complain about student debt. FUCK them.

You graduate with an engineering degree and you make money instantly and have zero problem getting a job. You get an accounting degree... same thing. Or nursing. Or computer science. You know... things that require work and standards. You want to do feminist studies or garbage like interpretive dance or African "We was Kangs" studies... then you are an idiot and noone should be paying for your retarded choices.

As for the poor (and the talented)... my best friend in college and still one of my best friends today... was dirt poor from the Burnt Hills area of NY. Dad was a railroad worker who got laid off and his only family income was what he got from the National Guard. ROTC scholarship paid for a 4 year engineering degree and gave him a stipend. He served 4 years as a Jr. officer then resigne his commission and re-enlisted as an E-5 to go to Special Forces school. Retired from SF after 25 years... The Army got their money's worth. His older brother did the same thing... got a Silver Star at Easting. His younger brother... worked as a driver for Coca-Cola as a high-school student and they gave him a full-ride scholarship through the corporation. Three boys got college with not a penny of debt in a family that had no money... at all. We all graduated between 1987 and 1990. So it's not like this was some Norman Rockwell shit.

Do something useful. And you can get educated for doing it.

That especially includes the trades -- the most useful pursuits of all. Because nothing and I mean nothing runs if the guys who make it work... don't show up. Noone 'needs' a college education. We ALL need people who can work to build things. Whether educated via apprenticeship or College. You need to be useful or you're useless.

Sirhr

Sirhr

Reactions: Emerson0311
Correct. Good universities will have good, employable graduates. Who will appreciate their educations. And as a result, will give back to the University's Endowment. Which can grow and be used to fund scholarships for the deserving who cannot afford an college education.

And cultivate business at universities, instead of rejecting capitalism. And then the business community will fund scholarships and infrastructure and send their employees to get educated, etc. And endow the place further.

Noone is going to pay for a brainwashing indoctrination center except retards who want to get indoctrinated and sell their life away doing it. Then complain about student debt. FUCK them.

You graduate with an engineering degree and you make money instantly and have zero problem getting a job. You get an accounting degree... same thing. Or nursing. Or computer science. You know... things that require work and standards. You want to do feminist studies or garbage like interpretive dance or African "We was Kangs" studies... then you are an idiot and noone should be paying for your retarded choices.

As for the poor (and the talented)... my best friend in college and still one of my best friends today... was dirt poor from the Burnt Hills area of NY. Dad was a railroad worker who got laid off and his only family income was what he got from the National Guard. ROTC scholarship paid for a 4 year engineering degree and gave him a stipend. He served 4 years as a Jr. officer then resigne his commission and re-enlisted as an E-5 to go to Special Forces school. Retired from SF after 25 years... The Army got their money's worth. His older brother did the same thing... got a Silver Star at Easting. His younger brother... worked as a driver for Coca-Cola as a high-school student and they gave him a full-ride scholarship through the corporation. Three boys got college with not a penny of debt in a family that had no money... at all. We all graduated between 1987 and 1990. So it's not like this was some Norman Rockwell shit.

That especially includes the trades -- the most useful pursuits of all. Because nothing and I mean nothing runs if the guys who make it work... don't show up. Noone 'needs' a college education. We ALL need people who can work to build things. Whether educated via apprenticeship or College. You need to be useful or you're useless.

Sirhr

Sirhr

The inability to achieve has always been a characteristic of an unmotivated individual. One of the great things about America is economic class does not limit one's potential.

What if the narrative is being sold as poor college grads and it's really bankers/shareholders looking for more gov handouts?...

R
Forgive student debt and we get to pay for it.
Bail out the lenders and we also get to pay for it.

Deadbeat losers are fucking us either way.

Sirhr

Sirhr
I know I'm the odd man out and I'm going to ruffle some feathers, but I don't see a stellar future for tradesmen in the long term. I'm seeing too many private equity groups getting involved. Look at the HVAC industry right now.

First comes horizontal integration, then they shift to vertical. Once they acquire major suppliers they jack up the prices for the independent guys to the point where they can't compete. Then they hire those independent guys they put out of business. Then lobbyists to protect their interests.

We're seeing this in smaller industries right now. Safelite Autoglass is a good example. Little guys are getting knocked off left and right. I'm getting bad vibes all around.

I know I'm the odd man out and I'm going to ruffle some feathers, but I don't see a stellar future for tradesmen in the long term. I'm seeing too many private equity groups getting involved. Look at the HVAC industry right now.

First comes horizontal integration, then they shift to vertical. Once they acquire major suppliers they jack up the prices for the independent guys to the point where they can't compete. Then they hire those independent guys they put out of business. Then lobbyists to protect their interests.

We're seeing this in smaller industries right now. Safelite Autoglass is a good example. Little guys are getting knocked off left and right. I'm getting bad vibes all around.
Which works to a point.

But the reality is that the 'handy' will always be useful.

"My name is Tuttle." Buttle... Tuttle.... the handy are always capable of being... handy.

Sirhr

And on a more serious note... if the 'handy' don't want to go to work for Blackrock or Safelite, they will be 'handy' working for niche needs that don't attract corporate attention.

The 'tinker' may come back into fashion. As the 'tinker' can do anything. But is master of nothing. So noone wants him. But everyone wants him. Because he can do anything.

So... be handy.

Like I said, if you are not useful you are useless! ;-) Lots of useful people around here.

Sirhr

Reactions: Emerson0311
And on a more serious note... if the 'handy' don't want to go to work for Blackrock or Safelite, they will be 'handy' working for niche needs that don't attract corporate attention.

The 'tinker' may come back into fashion. As the 'tinker' can do anything. But is master of nothing. So noone wants him. But everyone wants him. Because he can do anything.

So... be handy.

Like I said, if you are not useful you are useless! ;-) Lots of useful people around here.

Sirhr
This is the truth. Right now it doesn’t pay( I am living this), but in the future when the university educated get desperate, the skills that every truck driver I have lunch with will be in desperate need. Thing is, I’m the kid, at 50. In 10 years 70% of them will be dead.

Hey there! It's understandable that student debt can be a challenging situation to navigate. However, it's important to remember that investing in education and acquiring skills can open doors in the future. As you mentioned, the skills that are currently in demand may change over time, and having a solid education can provide opportunities in a changing job market.
pbox.php

There is a lady who runs a "let me help you find your next career" service.

She spent $30k on student loans to become an opera singer per her website.

And she doesn't even work in that industry now.

• Haha
Reactions: Milf Dots
Hello. I hear so many people with 100k plus loans, really curious to see the reasoning behind peoples decision to take out that much loans. How much loan is too much? I graduated from Rutgers 2 years ago as an in state student and had 45K in loans. Did Not think too much of it at first until after started working and realizing the difference between "making" and actually taking home. I met fellow grads from this other for profit school of pharmacy in my state with 150k plus in loans and I just feel so bad for them having student loans eat up all their take home pay for the next 10 years

Nephew had over 100K in student loans. Studied abroad, earned his master's. At 30, he has almost repaid the entire debt.