• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuff you don't mix: ARC Rings, LPVOs, Wood Furniture, Suppressed Single Shot

I've been meaning to come back around to this thread.

I own two #1's. A wood/blued .45-70 and a 1A 7x57. The .45-70 may be the most fun rifle I own. A buffalo rifle that points like a quail gun with an old VXIII 1.5-5 on it. More accurate than it should be for what it is. Last time I bothered shooting a group, it was about 1.25 MOA with 405 Remington JSP's over 50 grains of 3031. While a touch heavier, I think it balances just a tick better than the 7x57. I've played with all kinds of loads with this rifle and it's never really disliked anything. Paper patched 270-SAA's for my .45 Colt over 15 grains of Trail Boss at 1260fps. are a hoot!

The 7x57 is a killer. Just a straight up deer rifle. Not a varmint rifle. Not a match rifle. Just 7-1/2 lbs. all up of short, light, packable goodness.
It's never grouped under 1 MOA. It's never grouped over 1.5 MOA (3 shot groups. She's a whippy barreled bitch). Last time I shot a group, it put 3 175 SGK's in a dead on 2" triangle at 200 yards. She also likes old 175 Hornady RN's close up over the same 49 grains of RL-22 for 2500fps.
She wears a 2-7x32 Monarch. I've been having weird urges to get the forend bedded. MAYBE get the trigger touched up (it's a pretty crisp 4-4.5lbs. now), a new recoil pad (not sure how long Ruger searched to find a rubber polymer that hard, same goes double for the .45-70), and, while it may be a unicorn, a mil/mil FFP gloss (light, small, and classic looking) scope would make that little rifle sort of a long range sleeper. I keep thinking that 162 ELD-x's at 2,700 would be VILE waaaay on out there.

#1's have their challenges. The rib that looks so classic doesn't lend a lot of favors to scope mounting latitude, and it can cause issues if installed crooked or it it's butted up firm against the receiver. Most don't realize it, but #1's have an internal hammer that swings into the firing pin, resulting in a pretty slow lock time. Aesthetically, wood and finish on #1's varies far and wide. My two have okay wood. I've seen everything from some pretty beautiful walnut, to low grade firewood. My biggest problem with my two is that they are pretty and I do baby them a bit much, they stay in the safe more than they should.

I guess my point, after all that prattling on, is that the OP's rifle shows what you can do with a #1!

I've been meaning to come back around to this thread.

I own two #1's. A wood/blued .45-70 and a 1A 7x57. The .45-70 may be the most fun rifle I own. A buffalo rifle that points like a quail gun with an old VXIII 1.5-5 on it. More accurate than it should be for what it is. Last time I bothered shooting a group, it was about 1.25 MOA with 405 Remington JSP's over 50 grains of 3031. While a touch heavier, I think it balances just a tick better than the 7x57. I've played with all kinds of loads with this rifle and it's never really disliked anything. Paper patched 270-SAA's for my .45 Colt over 15 grains of Trail Boss at 1260fps. are a hoot!

The 7x57 is a killer. Just a straight up deer rifle. Not a varmint rifle. Not a match rifle. Just 7-1/2 lbs. all up of short, light, packable goodness.
It's never grouped under 1 MOA. It's never grouped over 1.5 MOA (3 shot groups. She's a whippy barreled bitch). Last time I shot a group, it put 3 175 SGK's in a dead on 2" triangle at 200 yards. She also likes old 175 Hornady RN's close up over the same 49 grains of RL-22 for 2500fps.
She wears a 2-7x32 Monarch. I've been having weird urges to get the forend bedded. MAYBE get the trigger touched up (it's a pretty crisp 4-4.5lbs. now), a new recoil pad (not sure how long Ruger searched to find a rubber polymer that hard, same goes double for the .45-70), and, while it may be a unicorn, a mil/mil FFP gloss (light, small, and classic looking) scope would make that little rifle sort of a long range sleeper. I keep thinking that 162 ELD-x's at 2,700 would be VILE waaaay on out there.

#1's have their challenges. The rib that looks so classic doesn't lend a lot of favors to scope mounting latitude, and it can cause issues if installed crooked or it it's butted up firm against the receiver. Most don't realize it, but #1's have an internal hammer that swings into the firing pin, resulting in a pretty slow lock time. Aesthetically, wood and finish on #1's varies far and wide. My two have okay wood. I've seen everything from some pretty beautiful walnut, to low grade firewood. My biggest problem with my two is that they are pretty and I do baby them a bit much, they stay in the safe more than they should.

I guess my point, after all that prattling on, is that the OP's rifle shows what you can do with a #1!
Both of those sound awesome. I wouldn't mind a big bore #1 but I have been so committed to caliber consolidation for about 5 years now, I really don't want to give in now (.22LR, 9mm, 5.56, 300 BLK, 6.5 CM).

As for the trigger, I went with Jard and its really freaking good, definitely much better than I thought one to be capable of being. I have it set a bit on the light side, so its definitely one you don't go inside the trigger guard on until you are ready, specifically on game when nervous. I may set it back a bit heavier this year now that I think of it.

Since I moved to all FFP on my comp/defense guns I found a perfect host for my K18i with flip-top elevation turret. The glass is too good to sell and the added value of being able to dial will work perfect for my 6.5CM #1. Likely a collaboration of parts that no one would say would look good, but I think it just...works. Honestly, I tried to find another forum category where this made more sense to post, but nothing really fit. I frequent the optics forum the most and thought it was worthy of a share. You can click the image for full resolution.

I’ve liked everything I’ve seen you do Burdy! I’ve always had an affinity for the No 1 and almost picked one up in 375 Ruger a few years back.

So if you put your Kahles on here, what do you have on your 3gun AR(s) now?

I like it and like the idea of an LPVO on there.

I’ve been fascinated with lever guns recently and think they make for another application for LPVO, still not sure if I should go with a 357 to match my pistol or go big or go home with BHA’s model 90 460 S&W that can also shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt for great versatility.

I’ve liked everything I’ve seen you do Burdy! I’ve always had an affinity for the No 1 and almost picked one up in 375 Ruger a few years back.

So if you put your Kahles on here, what do you have on your 3gun AR(s) now?

I like it and like the idea of an LPVO on there.

I’ve been fascinated with lever guns recently and think they make for another application for LPVO, still not sure if I should go with a 357 to match my pistol or go big or go home with BHA’s model 90 460 S&W that can also shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt for great versatility.
Thank you sir. I like your 454/45C idea, I think it would make a lot sense as would an LPVO lever gun.

I moved to the Vudu 1-10 for my Run and Gun setup. Shockingly, it cost me nothing in weight to move from the 30mm tube Kahles 1-8 to the 34mm 1-10 in my chosen mount setup and my Aadland front cap from the K18i fit perfectly. Both of those were surprises.

I removed the throw lever so it wouldn't dig into my back while running and used the self cling tape to make up for it. It actually works very well and seems maybe even quicker since on this optic you can turn the entire objective...I just grab the whole tube and start cranking. The Vudu finally checked almost all of my boxes for a RnG optic: 1.) Tree reticle with NUMBERED mils and small floating center dot 2.) FFP 3.) Reticle visible without illumination at all magnification levels, 4.) Forgiving eyebox 5.) Exposed AND locking elevation turret
I'll run my first match with it in August but I have high hopes.

PXL_20220613_160405346 (2).jpg

PXL_20220430_204031379.jpg
PXL_20220430_204016944.jpg

I will be curious to hear how you like the Vudu compared to your Kahles, but I understand your reasoning behind why. Also interesting you chose a Spuhr mount they are surprisingly light weight for how "beefy" they are.

I will be curious to hear how you like the Vudu compared to your Kahles, but I understand your reasoning behind why. Also interesting you chose a Spuhr mount they are surprisingly light weight for how "beefy" they are.
Lowest 34mm cantilever I could find. I must say I like the protection it provides on the tube though.

Reactions: Glassaholic