• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Stupid question of the day

sawman556

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2012
Bucks County, PA USA
I warned you. What does this screw do? What happens if you remove it for say a cat-tail?

screw.jpg

No swoooshing for me. SWFA should've put a little throw lever on this thing. I bought the one they have for it but it sucks ass. Not only doe's it use like a little fucking #4 screw but the thing will scratch the snot out of your scope. They could have used a steel insert or something which might have kept the tiny screw from stripping. I'll probably get it to work once I'm done being pissed that I paid 60 bucks for it.

I use the po'boy throw levers on some scopes.
Buy the universal coaster here, you get 2 in the package.
Coasters | Breakaway Tackle & Development
They are not pretty, but they work.
For metal zoom rings, I cut a little strip of innertube (rubber band will do, too) between the coaster and the zoom ring; this also eliminates the possibility of bitching up the finish on the scope.

Joe

edit; here's a picture I found on the interweb of a po'boy throw lever installed

Attachments

• throw lever.jpg
    throw lever.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I use the po'boy throw levers on some scopes.
Buy the universal coaster here, you get 2 in the package.
Coasters | Breakaway Tackle & Development
They are not pretty, but they work.
For metal zoom rings, I cut a little strip of innertube (rubber band will do, too) between the coaster and the zoom ring; this also eliminates the possibility of bitching up the finish on the scope.

Joe

edit; here's a picture I found on the interweb of a po'boy throw lever installed

Thanks my friend. I got the thing on there this afternoon. Tapped it with 8-32 and Loc-tited a set screw in there which snugged it up pretty good. The rubber band inner tube idea is a good one but there is no way it would fit between the scope and throw lever. I put a little grease on the lugs of the thing in case there is any movement put it seems like a good fit. Not sure why they use that little fucking screw though. IDK.

Thanks my friend. I got the thing on there this afternoon. Tapped it with 8-32 and Loc-tited a set screw in there which snugged it up pretty good. The rubber band inner tube idea is a good one but there is no way it would fit between the scope and throw lever. I put a little grease on the lugs of the thing in case there is any movement put it seems like a good fit. Not sure why they use that little fucking screw though. IDK.

Yeah, the rubber band should be unnecessary with a properly fitting purpose made throw lever.

The po'boy solution is made out of plastic and might slip on a metal zoom ring, so it's a win/win in that application.

Incidentally, I bought 2 throw levers to fit DMR/ERS/XRS Bushies from GAP recently and then decided to sell off one of the scopes.
The extra throw lever fit on my new Steiner 5-25x56 but was just a little small.
I needed a longer screw so I went to the local ACE hardware store but all they had was Phillips head stainless screws in 2-56 thread.
The OEM screw was a grade 8 SHCS (socket head) but the Phillips head fastener did the job just fine. Let's face it, you can't apply much torque to a 2-56 screw anyway... nor do they have a lot of clamping force. Nonetheless, the grip of the anodized throw lever on the anodized zoom ring is sufficient. Good thing, it would be a shame to put a po'boy contraption on an alpha scope.

Joe