• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic .308 Load. Trail Boss or Titegroup?

XxMerlinxX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Columbia, S.C.
I've got two pounds of Titegroup already, but my LGS has some Trail Boss in stock as well. Which powder seems to give better results? Also, I've been told that I need to lube the bullets to avoid having them stick in a dirty bore. Any truth to this? If so, would a lanolin case lube work? Alox?

Last edited:
I've used TB to run some SIE 77s through a gem tech subsonic and it worked well. I forget the data but worked it up. I also did some subsonic 45-70 with 350 grain jacketed. That was a mistake and one lodged in barrel and had to pound it out with a 12ga alloy cleaning rod. I won't do that again. In my various load testing of 77s I think one of those or reject pile stuff I had was under charged. I noticed a bulge in my 556 MRP barrel between flash hider and piston gas block. Not sue what or when but something got lodged in there and shot out. Rifle still shoots fine as far as red dot close range distances. I'll change it out eventually but def keep a close eye on subs with jackets. I had good luck with trail boss (doughnut shapes fill cases better) and I think unique in the 45-70 I don't think I tried any others. I hand trickled all of these loads individually.

If possible a 300blk would be a lot simpler set up for subsonic in .308 cal.

I have used tight group and it works. Just watch your twist rate and make sure your heavy bullets are stabilizing at subsonic speeds before screwing on a can. Round nose bullets stabilize better than smk's.

Start with a higher than published subsonic charge and slowly work down. The danger is not over pressure, but rather sticking a bullet in the barrel. You really need a chronograph to do this right.

I will second the blackout statement. 300 blackout is made for subsonic 30 cal. The twist rates are faster and volume for powder is much less. It is just ideal for subsonic 30 cal.

I use trailboss for my 175smk subsonics at 9.7 grn 945 fps loads and works well out of my M40a5 clone. I haven't lubed any but I haven't had any issues yet. If I don't see a hole or hear the steel I still check the bore just to be on the safe side but haven't had one stuck yet. I worked my way down from 12 grns till I got stable under 1000 fps and you can barely hear it when shooting.

I use trailboss for my 175smk subsonics at 9.7 grn 945 fps loads and works well out of my M40a5 clone...I worked my way down from 12 grns till I got stable under 1000 fps and you can barely hear it when shooting.

This is sound advice. I wound up at 10 grains of Trailboss with my combination but you want to work the load down to avoid stuck bullets.

Yeah, load dev for subsonics is kind of the opposite of what we're used to: load high and work your way down. Do all of your testing without the suppressor first so that you don't risk baffle strikes from unstable bullet velocities. The trick is finding a powder charge that'll get you just below the speed of sound but also is making nice round holes in your target and not keyholing.

10.2gr TB under a 175 smk works well for me in a 1-11" 26" TRG. The sound of the firing pin is louder than the discharge. I've used these to 300yds :)

10.8 gr. TB behind a 170 - 180 gr. RN .30-30 bullet shoots 1 MOA from my 20 .308 LTR, 1:12 twist at 1050 fps

10.5 trailboss behind 190grn MK and some leftover Hornady 190's as well. Out of 12 twist 19" Remington factory varmint barrel. Loads of fun at longer range 200-400 although at 400 it's a crap shoot for me. A couple of notes. I sorted through all my Hornady brass I had and found two lots of 30 pieces each that had less than .1 grn deviation in weight after cleaning, sizing, trimming. I anneal these cases and cull any for "fun" rounds that have abnormal feeling seating tension when I seat the bullets. Only one of my cases has ever grown in length between loadings and that one has also given me consistently inconsistent seating pressure when seating a bullet so I think their may be something wrong with it. Cases last for ever like this as all I use them for is subsonic loads only. On my 11th reloading with them as a set. I also use a can for a 338 lapua on this rifle which gives me an extra margin for bullet instability should fouling cause a bad shot to keyhole the bullet. Have an 8twist mcgowen on order but they are taking forever.

Last edited:
I am another big fan of Trail Boss. I use 10.5gr under a 200 gr SMK and they have been very stable and accurate with an average velocity right around 1035 fps. They've worked very well out of my rifles and those of others I've made them for.

Someone needs to develop a good subsonic .308 bullet. For hunting, that will expand reliably at subsonic MVs.

Like these from Lehigh?

But they never tell you how many you get for $65..... If 25, WAY pricey, if 50 still a bit much, if 100, not bad, if 500 GREAT. :)

I would like one of the big makers to make a .308 bullet using pistol bullet technology. 200 - 240 grains. At a reasonable price.

As everyone is saying, between 9 and 11 works well. I have never stuck one in that range. 10 to 10.5 seems to keep them all around the subsonic barrier with 175 to 225 grainers.

175 grainers with 10.5 shoots well even at 400 + yards. Sure you need some cant in your base and little wind, but it is fun to hear that thing hit steel after taking FOREVER to get there.

A curiosity question about Trail Boss in rifle cartridges: I use it in 38 Special and 357 cases, where you can fill the case and not come close to the pressure limit - I'm not sure you're even up to black powder pressure - although compressed charges are a no-no. And I gather this is true for all the pistol cases - fill 'em up, not a problem, as long as you don't compress things.

Is that true in rifle cases as well? Can you fill up a 223 or 308 case (to the base of the seated bullet, that is) and not have a problem? As I say, just curious - I need all the velocity I can get from my 223 for long range stuff, and don't have a can, so wouldn't be looking at TB for personal use.