• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Substitute for varget

NC_shooter

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2017
Youngsville, NC
I’m pretty new to reloading for prs style shooting. I started out using varget for my .308 but just ran out and cannot find any anywhere which really sucks because I just did get my a&d 120 with v3 auto throw up and rolling yesterday only to reload 50 cases before I ran out completely. So any of you experienced long range precision guys out there have any reccomencations for a substitute or possible replacement for varget until it becomes available.
.308 1:10 twist 24” pushing Berger 175 vld’s

Reactions: Ragin_cajun
IMR 4064. Load typically is about the same except but work up.
Agreed. Also IMR4320.

For future reference to the OP:

And:
1574005611661.png

While I find that IMR 4064 works just fine in my .308, it's kinda temperamental in getting consistent metering for consistent loads. I've found that H4895 has done really well for me as has AR-Comp. Currently I'm loading AR-Comp (I think of it as Reloader 14) in my .308, 1:10, 26" Krieger barrel. Both these powders meter well and I like that they are not temp sensitive, much like Varget, which are two of the attributes I like about Varget. One other thing I like about AR-Comp is that it burns cleaner than Varget.

I am relatively new to reloading as well. FWIW, I tried N140 just because I had some from an experiment with a .223, and to my surprise, it was grouping really nice - equal to and some cases better than my 4064 loads. I am running an 11tw and 175 SMKs.

I seemed to have good luck with Benchmark when I loaded 168SMKs for my bolt gun. I ended up with a max charge per the book if I remember right but they always worked good for me

Two of my favorite "other than Varget" powders for the 308 in 155's to 175's are 8208 XBR and AR Comp. Both flow through a powder hopper really well, give good velocity, S/D - E/S and are less temperature sensitive than many other powders.

Reactions: mjeter
8208XBR gets 2720 with 175SMKs in a 24” barrel. More than accurate enough for PRC/NRL/hunting. Benchmark if speed is less of a concern and precision the top priority. Both are more temp stable than 4064 per my requirements. Both meter like a dream. Year long shooter in Texas.

Tried Varget. Changed to much from jug to jug, hard to find at times, meters funny.

I've used 4064 for a long time. Always had decent luck with it for my purposes.

I’m going to suggest something a bit different, bear with me. When I can’t find Varget it seems some of the substitute powders like 4064 is also in short supply.

Take a look at AR comp, which while double base, is temp stable, and I’ve found to be just as accurate with the 175 Berger’s and 178 Hornadys. You’ll need a different charge weight, but having two load recipes is useful. YMMV.

I’ve used a lot of varget,h4895,4064, and 748. I think that shootersworld powder is worth a look. I think it’s on sale at powder valley

Imr4064 has always been my go to I've got a 1 pound of varget that hasn't even been used.