• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Substitutes in 308

AR-180

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2006
The Triangle, NC
I’ve seen it posted that BR2s and CCI LR primers are substitutable. I’ve also seen that LC LR weighs basically the same as Lapua brass in 308.

My experience confirms both of these.

DE9B390E-1487-4FE8-A028-EF71AEDE4BE1.jpeg

Reactions: simonp
I have had good luck with LC brass as long as I weight sort them. I jus aint gonna shoot good Lapua brass through semiauto

Reactions: Jonathan Swift
I’ve seen it posted that BR2s and CCI LR primers are substitutable.
But... they sure don't cost the same....

BR2 were priced like $130 /k and CCI 200 were $95 /k based on the last availability examples from PV.

But yes, if we are just talking about normally stable loads and not being picky about tuning, they can be substituted.

Any component substitution bears the warning that a careful work-up is prudent.

Brass is also one of those topics where the substitution has obviously worked, but the scrutiny on performance is the rub.

If we take any load that is marginal, and the substitution moves it in the wrong direction, then we have ourselves to blame.
We also need to be prepared for the idea that re-tuning would likely be required in cases where the performance standards are high.

YMMV