• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Suggestions for a new layering system

Megastink

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
Eastern PA, USA
I’ve been wearing insulated Field & Stream camo for years and it’s served me well. Pretty warm on sits, but really sweaty on stalks and walks. I hunt the hills of northeastern PA and walks aren’t always easy.
I have a pair good under armor base layer that I want to keep. What I want is a mid layer that will be my outer layer during warmer temps/early season, and an outer layer for long sits in the cold. Temps can be up to 70* during early bow and feet of snow during late rifle season when im
Sitting. That middle layer will get a workout, as I do like to walk around. So flexibility and durability are a must. Here’s a synopsis:
Base layer: Got it.
Mid layer: wind stopping, durable, flexible, water proof/resistant; leaning towards Kuiu attack pants for the bottoms, AFTCO reaper hoodie on top. I need to find a jacket to replace the Reaper if it’s going to be wet, as the Aftco is not waterproof.
Outer layer: warmth. Will only be wearing when it’s cold out. Needs to be easily removed.

If it helps, I’m 5’6”, 42wx29L. looking for suggestions and experiences. Thank you!

I’ve been wearing insulated Field & Stream camo for years and it’s served me well. Pretty warm on sits, but really sweaty on stalks and walks. I hunt the hills of northeastern PA and walks aren’t always easy.
I have a pair good under armor base layer that I want to keep. What I want is a mid layer that will be my outer layer during warmer temps/early season, and an outer layer for long sits in the cold. Temps can be up to 70* during early bow and feet of snow during late rifle season when im
Sitting. That middle layer will get a workout, as I do like to walk around. So flexibility and durability are a must. Here’s a synopsis:
Mid layer: wind stopping, durable, flexible, water proof/resistant; leaning towards Kuiu attack pants for the bottoms, AFTCO reaper hoodie on top. I need to find a jacket to replace the Reaper if it’s going to be wet, as the Aftco is not waterproof.
Outer layer: warmth. Will only be wearing when it’s cold out. Needs to be easily removed.

If it helps, I’m 5’6”, 42wx29L. looking for suggestions and experiences. Thank you!

Waterproof...not Gore-Tex brand though if that matters. There’s matching pants also. The jacket fits true to size. I went with one size larger on pants since I usually have base layer and fleece underneath and it’s perfect. Full disclosure, the waterproofing works but I haven’t owned them long enough to put them through the wringer yet.
They’re currently on sale with free and fast shipping. 🍻

How much you want to spend? I recommend beyond clothing and they have a handy guide to help you which is based off the military ECWCS system.

The Krytos line is their imported line (same quality really) and the axioms is the berry compliant line

So many choices, but it does come back to cost. I’ve tried a number of midlayers specifically Kuiu, Firstlite, stone glacier, Sitka, and Arcteryx leaf. I like my Arcteryx naga hoody the best, but you’re talking about a 200$ mid layer hoody. I rifle hunt central to western PA and northern MD counties so I do hike in with a stand and clothes. When I’m in MT for a late season rifle hunt I’m wearing the same base and mid layer as well. If you want camo the FL Klamath might be a good choice or Sitka fanatic for early season use. I don’t consider mid layers durable in the sense of pick resistance. I’d be talking more soft shells at that point in which case Kuiu kutana holds up well. I want my mid layer breathable and quick dry times.

Reactions: jrassy
Agree with SSzelong.... my mid layer is NOT waterproof/windproof, but my outer layer is. I generate a ton of body heat when I start moving and want the clothes to breath. Outer layer rides in my pack and can come out if I want to sit, or if wind/rain pick up.

Reactions: JHOFF
I'm in NE PA as well GORE TEX for outer layers to disperse all that wicked moisture. if you can afford to pay for merino wool that's the way to go i don't like how wool feels so i don't use it .i wear all wicking base layers in 3 weights polypro/fleece is the heaviest i wear .i have mil surp stuff and even stuff from old navy .Their workout clothes are great as a light layer in early bow season For outer layers i lean towards scent lock /scentblocker i buy them when they are on sale and when they do clearance sales i try to not pay full freight .Start looking now the deals are there .I also use fleece outer layers for stalking . i hunt 3c 3d mostly how bout you ?

I've used Arktis gear for years.
Not cheap, but excellent kit.
BA windproof smock is hard to beat, big pockets to carry all your gear.
Wool or cotton singlet and rugby shorts are my base layer, then add to suit conditions.

Wool or cotton singlet and rugby shorts are my base layer, then add to suit conditions.

You lost me at cotton. If someone told me to wear a cotton base layer I sure as shit hope it’s warm out, I’m day hunting, and that they were joking. Wool yes. Retains body heat when wet, but with a slower dry time than synthetic. Cotton retains water incredibly well and won’t dry out until you find a clothes dryer or a hanger next to your cabin’s wood stove. Plenty of good companies out there, but Fruit of the Loom gets a hard pass from me for a base layer

You lost me at cotton. If someone told me to wear a cotton base layer I sure as shit hope it’s warm out, I’m day hunting, and that they were joking. Wool yes. Retains body heat when wet, but with a slower dry time than synthetic. Cotton retains water incredibly well and won’t dry out until you find a clothes dryer or a hanger next to your cabin’s wood stove. Plenty of good companies out there, but Fruit of the Loom gets a hard pass from me for a base layer
45°C in the shade here, cotton for the hot days, woollen for cooler nights, etc.
Soak my shem in water to cool neck and cotton as a cooler against body.
Works for me, especially when tabbing across flats, after ferals.
The rugby shorts don't chafe, and you can air the goolies.
Layers change in accordance to terrain and climate.
Fruit of The Loom🍇🤣
Do you wear the matching panties as well?😉

Last edited:
I've even started running lightweight wool for warmer weather hunts/backpacking trips. It doesn't start to stink as quickly after a few days in the backcountry, and dries pretty quickly if you ring it out in the creek.

Reactions: thejeep
I use Firstlite religiously and love their stuff. Their CS is top freaking notch as well, and they are headquartered in my home state of Idaho.. If you call them, tell them what you are doing, they will make honest recommendations based on your NEEDS. Ask me how I know. 1 (208) 806-0066

ETA: I have zero affiliation with Firstlite, other than the fact that I own their stuff and love it.

Army surplus ECWS system.

How quiet is the Gore-Tex layer when moving through brush?

I have a cabelas jacket now that is supposed to be a brushed short fleece to be quiet. It’s not bad in a tree stand, but everything within 5 feet catches on it when walking. And it makes a lot of noise as the brush is pulled off.

I also hunt NE PA and southern NY.

How quiet is the Gore-Tex layer when moving through brush?

I have a cabelas jacket now that is supposed to be a brushed short fleece to be quiet. It’s not bad in a tree stand, but everything within 5 feet catches on it when walking. And it makes a lot of noise as the brush is pulled off.

I also hunt NE PA and southern NY.
There’s a good chance we’re hunting the same woods then!

Base layer must wick and be breathable to keep moisture away.

Have you thought about an electric jacket/vest? Turn it on during sits and off while hiking.

Base layer must wick and be breathable to keep moisture away.

Have you thought about an electric jacket/vest? Turn it on during sits and off while hiking.

I’m good with base layers. Looking for a breathable shell that will keep me dry. I normally peel off layers to walk in or out. But any rain/snow while I’m walking and I’m wet.

Years ago it seemed like everyone had a blaze camo option. Now no one does. It’s a pain in the ass having to deal with that vest on top of everything else.

So far the ECWCS is looking like the most cost effective solution. I need to find one in person to see just how noisy the outer shell is.

I also live in 5C! I archery hunt around here, but I do most of my rifle hunting in 3D.

I’m hunting state land in PA. The area east of RT 100 between Fogelseville and 309. And Hickory Run west of Turnpike. Actually, east of turnpike is 3C, I think?

I’m good with base layers. Looking for a breathable shell that will keep me dry. I normally peel off layers to walk in or out. But any rain/snow while I’m walking and I’m wet.

Years ago it seemed like everyone had a blaze camo option. Now no one does. It’s a pain in the ass having to deal with that vest on top of everything else.

So far the ECWCS is looking like the most cost effective solution. I need to find one in person to see just how noisy the outer shell just throw a fleece jacket over it if noise is an issue .
just throw a fleece jacket over it for noise they also sell water proofing treatments for cloths

Nikwax TX. Direct Wash-in Waterproofing and Grainger make spray on and wash in that leave no scent unlike silicone sprays .was out in 3d today ice storm and fog visibility was down to 10 yards by nightfall​

I’m hunting state land in PA. The area east of RT 100 between Fogelseville and 309. And Hickory Run west of Turnpike. Actually, east of turnpike is 3C, I think?
I’m unfamiliar with any public land in that area. I’ve been bow hunting around Nockamixon lately as I live close. No deer yet, but sign everywhere. I need to find some private land around here because there’s too many other hunters. I counted 8 latter stands on a three hour still hunting the other day. I’m thinking of hunting and camping in Hickory run next season. I might also apply for my PA Elk tag.

I’m unfamiliar with any public land in that area. I’ve been bow hunting around Nockamixon lately as I live close. No deer yet, but sign everywhere. I need to find some private land around here because there’s too many other hunters. I counted 8 latter stands on a three hour still hunting the other day. I’m thinking of hunting and camping in Hickory run next season. I might also apply for my PA Elk tag.

You must be a bit south of me. I’m just south of the turnpike tunnel. Read up on the elk tag - you can buy a point each season. Then you can apply those towards a tag and have a better chance of getting a tag when you want.

Reactions: Megastink
Icebreaker merino is the best hands down.

Remember it’s underneath everything, it doesn’t have to be camo or made by a hunting brand. It can be neon pink and still do the job.
Especially if you are using one of those Creeeeedmors.

How much you want to spend? I recommend beyond clothing and they have a handy guide to help you which is based off the military ECWCS system.

The Krytos line is their imported line (same quality really) and the axioms is the berry compliant line
Great stuff. The non Berry compliant line is also nice in that you can look like a normal person and not a Larper.

Reactions: Megastink
I will say, that a wool base layer is awesome if you build any sweat walking.
Keeps odor down WAY better than anything synthetic.
I just was on a 5 day hunt where I wore the same base layer every day. not huge hikes, but averaged 7 miles a day and almost 30 degree temp swings.
for sure got sweaty every day.
no stink at the end. And yes, I put my nose right in it to sniff.

The Ecws goretex is super loud in my experience. But most of it is.

I wear soft shell or wool middle layers for breathability during movement. I never like sweating too much if I can avoid it.

Lots of options.
i need new pants and have been looking at the Beyond stuff myself.
I like an athletic, almost mountaineering style fit due to a lot of long hikes in CO for hunting, so my needs are different than others.

I will say, that a wool base layer is awesome if you build any sweat walking.
Keeps odor down WAY better than anything synthetic.
I just was on a 5 day hunt where I wore the same base layer every day. not huge hikes, but averaged 7 miles a day and almost 30 degree temp swings.
for sure got sweaty every day.
no stink at the end. And yes, I put my nose right in it to sniff.

The Ecws goretex is super loud in my experience. But most of it is.

I wear soft shell or wool middle layers for breathability during movement. I never like sweating too much if I can avoid it.

Lots of options.
i need new pants and have been looking at the Beyond stuff myself.
I like an athletic, almost mountaineering style fit due to a lot of long hikes in CO for hunting, so my needs are different than others.
I'm also in the Rockies and hunt a lot on foot. Beyond is what you want. They have multiple baselayer options, some wool. I find they are good, but not better than other companies. Their other layers are superb.

I have a ton of wool.
i have camo stuff for archery season.

Just looking for a solid color soft shell for colder weather stuff.
including a set for hiking and winter peak bagging (how to avoid crowds in CO)