• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Summer quick meals.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
I hate heating up the Kitchen in Summer, so I do some Hobo Meals (nothing perishable/fresh) in the microwave.

Just perfected a new one, Chicken Chop Stewie.

Combine 1/2 cup water, thoroughly crush a cube of chicken buillon, add 1/2 of it to 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil and the water in a clean butter tub, microwave 1-2min.

Add 1/2 cup Instant Rice, cover and set aside.

Combine 1/2 tin of Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup (don't add the water) with the other half cube of crushed Chicken Buillon. Throw in a splash or two of Lite Soy Sauce. Microwave 1 minute.

Open one tin of Canned Chicken Breast (about 12oz.), roughly chop the chunks down to about 1/2-3/4" in size, add to the Cream of Chicken Soup, in a microwaveable container that holds at least 64 oz. Microwave on 1/2 power or less, for 4-5 minutes.

While that's nuking, thoroughly drain a can of La Choy Chop Suey Vegetables. When nuking's done, add the veggies and nuke on full for another minute or two.

In three wide, shallow soup bowls, divvy up the rice, divvy up one can of La Choy crisp noodles, ladle out the Stewie/Suey conglomeration on top of all that, and eat.

Provide Soy Sauce on the side.

None of the La Choy cans are the big wide ones, the right size is about the same size as a regular soup can.

Hot meal, quick and simple. Cool kitchen, and most folks can devour this and enjoy it.

Oh, and this ain't even pretending to be Chinese.

I call it Hobo Cookin', stems from a misspent youth; cobblin' up quick meals on Scout trips.

You Folks please feel free to add your own..., um,... 'Summer Quick Recipes' too... (Bachelor Gourmet...?)

Greg

Re: Summer quick meals.

I have a hobo bread sandwich recipe to die for. This one's easy and doesn't add any heat in the kitchen. Take two slices out of the middle of a loaf of bread, add the "heel" or end slice in between, and that's it. If you are extra fancy use two slices of white with a slice of wheat in between. I ate many a bread sandwich in my college days. Not as flavorful as your dish but filling.

Two simple staples around our house, normally depending on time of year are:

1. Brown some ground beef in a skillet, add a can of sliced new potatoes and a couple of cans of tomato paste (adding water to make a thick sauce) and sometimes peppers or onions or whatevers left over in the pantry. Cook it all down into a sort of simple goulash.

2. Brown some ground beef, add some minced onion or garlic and liberal use of Old Bay seasoning. Add some cooked rice to it, as sort of a dirty rice.

Its cheap, fast and even my kids love it.

My Wife takes ground beef and browns it, adds a small tin of tomato sauce, and a drained can of cut green beans. Serve with bread and butter on the side. It's a traditional family treat.

Last Resort Lunch at Construction Office Trailer in the Boonies:
One envelope chicken flavored Ramen
Cup of Hot water from the water cooler
One heaping teaspoon powdered creamer
Three Morel mushrooms found growing behind the trailer, chopped
voila! Cream of Mushroom Chicken Ramen ---Tasty!

Jersey tomato, white bread, salt, mayonnaise

Slice tomato, sprinkle with salt, place between slices of good white bread and slather with mayonnaise.

No heat, no muss, no fuss, delicious, and no margarine tubs were tortured in the microwave.

Pepper optional.

I like to throw this mess together....
About a cup ea. Sliced Yellow Squash ,Broccoli & Zuccinni put in skillet / steamed till 1/2 cooked ...set aside in another container & use same skillet to cook
90/10 lean hamburger meat 1# seasoned , Browned then Drained and put back on stove Med Heat - add Veggies and cover till cooked completely or to your liking
Spoon onto a plate , then pour a good Splash (I use 1/2 jar..LOL ) of PACE Picante sauce over top and cover with handfull of Shredded Cheese

Pig Out !

Add 2 lbs of sharp cheddar cheese to all recipes above and you got a winner winner chicken dinner!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jersey tomato, white bread, salt, mayonnaise

Slice tomato, sprinkle with salt, place between slices of good white bread and slather with mayonnaise.

No heat, no muss, no fuss, delicious, and no margarine tubs were tortured in the microwave.

Pepper optional. </div></div>

This guy has the right idea. add some sliced onions and cucumbers with a biit of dressing and youve got a meal. If you want to really top it off Blanch a half dozen ears of silver queen corn and as Andy Griffith used to say

UmmUmm good.

I used to make sandwiches in the morning, bread, cheese, meat only (I hate vegetables and mayo/ketchup). Leave it in a pickup with windows rolled up, come noon the cheese is melted and voila you have grilled salami sandwich.

I hate heating up the kitchen too, so most things are done outside over a bbq/fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a hobo bread sandwich recipe to die for. This one's easy and doesn't add any heat in the kitchen. Take two slices out of the middle of a loaf of bread, add the "heel" or end slice in between, and that's it. If you are extra fancy use two slices of white with a slice of wheat in between. I ate many a bread sandwich in my college days. Not as flavorful as your dish but filling. </div></div>

that's some funny shit

This is a summer time favorite.....

Take a large sweet onion and quarter it....then take a cucumber and peel and slice (1/4" slices or larger)...place all in a quart canning jar and fill with apple cider (red) vinegar and screw the lid on. Place in refrigerator and allow to cool. You can do just the onions or cucumbers but we like to mix them together. Plastic containers with snap on lids work can work as well but we got LOTS of canning jars.

Salt and pepper to taste.

This doesn't fit the bill on the heat side, but it's quick, and requires minimal ingredients.
Boil a few frozen chicken breasts. Don't use too much water, as you want to have flavorful stock left, and without having to boil it down forever.
When they are thawed, and nearly cooked, take them out and slice them into 1/2" thick strips.
Cook some rice in the chicken-broth.
Dust the chicken with some fajita seasoning. Thrown them in a pan with a little oil and brown them.
Put the rice on a plate. Add a generous dash of Tony Chachere's, and put the chicken on top.
Pretty simple, and I've generally got rice and frozen chicken on hand. I've never timed it, but I'd say it takes around 15 minutes.
CW

Along the lines of simple. Take a 1qt. Pyrex bowl, the one with the handle on it. Pour in about 1 cup or more depending on how hungry you are & add just enough water to cover the rice. Add butter or margarine, as much or as little as you like. Microwave on high for 5 1/2 minutes. While the rice is in the microwave open & drain a can of tuna packed in water. When the rice is done stir in the tuna Lawry's seasoned salt to taste. You have cooked and eaten with only the Pyrex & a fork to clean up. On special occasions or Holidays I add a small can of mushrooms.
Semper Fi

I use a double decker Oster steamer to make chicken and rice with mixed vegetables. Put a half cup of rice in the rice bowl, add 1/4 cup water to rice, and the chicken parts on top of that
Season to taste.
Set timer for an hour, go mow the lawn.
Place vegetables in upper steamer, season, steam for about half hour.
Serve with cheddar on the side.

Fired up the grill and boiled some water in the house on the stove. I threw a kielbasa on the grill and some wild rice in the water added a few corn on the cob and done in 20 min. Not including the time for the water and grill to get ready but tat does not count because I was doing other stuff while waiting for that