• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Super Sniper Variable Power

Re: Super Sniper Variable Power

Being Mil/Mil might make it a better choice for a Mk12 copy than the appropriate Leupold.

Like the poster above, I am a bit confused as well, and this is a genuine question, so please don't blast me for asking. At 2x the price, why would you choose the variable SS over the fixed 10x? I understand that the glass may be better, but does that justify the purchase? The power range alone would deter me (perhaps because my eyes aren't what they were in my 20s and 30s, and I like the extra magnification), and I like the turrets on my 10x. I guess what I am asking is what's the draw? Is it the better glass or is there a particular application for which the variable is better suited that makes it a better choice? I have never had the experience of a situation that the field of view @ 10x was an issue, but I suppose that could be the case in some instances as well?

csi:cyberspace,

I'm not going to try to make a case of the 3-9 SS vs the 10x42 SS.

But if you cannot see the advantages of a 3-9 FFP Mil/Mil variable in hitting a target or even better, a moving target, at near rather than long ranges vs a fixed 10 power with MIL/MOA adjustments, then no amount of comparison can justify the 3-9x42 SS price.

But to put the 3-9x42mm price into a market perspective let's look at it's variable competion:

Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope = Mil/MOA adjustments, SFP reticle = $929.

IOR 2.5-10x42MM = Mil/MIL, FFP reticle, ILLM, $1050

That's the 3-9x42mm base competition not the 10x42 SS. On a price basis alone, the SS Variable seems like a friggen bargain to me. I personally like having choices, and the more FFP Mil/Mil scopes the better. The 3-9x42 may not be for you, but once you used a MIL/MIL scope it's hard to go back to MIL/MOA, no matter how fine it's optics are, nor it's price.

YMMV. Regards,

Bob

Bob,
As I said, the fov might be an issue for some. I am just asking for opinions as to just how much of an issue it really is. As I said, I have never had any trouble with my fixed 10x scopes, and was just wondering if the glass was the biggest issue or the fov. or if it was something else. Personally, I like MOA/MOA, hence the purchase of my USO. But I still like my 10x super sniper too. I'm just trying to get a handle on what folks' think are the selling points if you will of the variable SS. I didn't want a one vs the other case, just looking for the rationale.

csi:

Not trying to get you to NOT like your 10x42MM SS.
smile.gif

The SS Variable has FFP and MIL/MIL adjustments for under a grand. That's an attractive price point to be at.

When you look at the universe of scopes featuring FFP and MIL/MIL:

<span style="font-weight: bold">FFP plus MIL/MIL variables:</span>

Hensoldt
S&B
Premier
USO
NIghtforce
Leupold (sort of except for funky 0.05 mil adjustments)
IOR
SS
Falcon

<span style="font-weight: bold">MIL/MIL Fixed</span>

S&B
USO
Falcon

<span style="font-weight: bold">MOA/MOA variable:</span>

USO
Nightforce
Wonder Optics gen 3

<span style="font-weight: bold">MOA/MOA Fixed</span>

USO
Wonder Optics gen 3

We lived for years with MIL/MOA scopes and got along well. But MIL/MIL is better all around.

Of course if you just hunt, never dial and never range, an SFP scope and any reticle that's useful is OK too.

As far a MOA/MOA goes, if it works for you, then it works. But if you use a spotter, and nobody makes one with a MOA reticle, then translation can get a bit complicated.....unless of course you have a USO MDMOA Spotter
cool.gif

Regards,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob,
As I said, the fov might be an issue for some. I am just asking for opinions as to just how much of an issue it really is. As I said, I have never had any trouble with my fixed 10x scopes, and was just wondering if the glass was the biggest issue or the fov. or if it was something else. Personally, I like MOA/MOA, hence the purchase of my USO. But I still like my 10x super sniper too. I'm just trying to get a handle on what folks' think are the selling points if you will of the variable SS. I didn't want a one vs the other case, just looking for the rationale.</div></div>

I have both a fixed 10x42 Super Sniper (a couple of years old) and a new Variable 3-9x42 Super Sniper.

The variable SS does have better glass. Whether that alone justifies the price difference is a personal choice.

Variable SS has better knob design than the 10x42: knobs are a little easier to reset and the clicks on the 3-9x42 are a bit crisper. Both track perfectly though. Then there is the double-turn scale on the elevation knob of the variable SS and mil clicks.

From a usability standpoint, 3-9x42 is definitely a more versatile choice. For example, in low light I can dial down to 6x or so for a larger exit pupil and get an appreciably brighter image than I would on a 10x42.

Similarly, for closer targets I can take advantage of the wider field of view at lower magnifications.

The eyepiece on the variable SS is a bit slimmer, so if you are mounting the scope on a gun with potential bolt handle clearance issues, the variable allows lower scope mounting.

A couple of things that that the 10x42 SS has going for it is a long track record of durability and parallax adjustment.

ILya

Ok, I got it now. I think I may try one at some point. I am a bit resistant to make the change to mils because MOA is what I have learned, but who knows.... Thanks for the input guys. Never too old to learn something new eh?

Cyber, dont be intimidated by mils, I was a mil/moa trained sniper and ran that way for years. I went with a Falcon mil/mil and in 30 minutes was faster and more efficient, so much more natural it was rediculous.

Well I'm building a .308 AR (DMPS lower). I think this might be the scope I put on it until I can buy something higher end. Also would be my first experience with mil/mil. Hmmmm.

UPDATE:

Just a heads up for those interested in the SWFA SS 3-9x42MM Variable:

You can buy it of course from the SWFA website for $599.95, plus shipping and you get the scope, nothing else.

OR

You can buy it from SWFA on E-Bay. The SWFA listing on E-Bay, again is for $599.95. BUT.....you also get included in that price:

S.S.A.L.T mount 30mm w/1" inserts
SS-TAC Picatinny rail top
2.25" SS Sun Shade
Set of Butler Creek flip ups
Mil Dot Master
SS Ball cap w/Super Chicken logo
SS Khaki Koozie (beer wrap)

The E-bay deal is better than listed on SWFA's website, and you can sell the mounts, rail, and mildot master, if you don't need em'.

Thanks,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastcam1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good Evening, Variable SS looks good. How does it compare to the new Weaver Tactical if anyone has got a look at the prototypes. (Weaver FFP 3-15x50mm (Tactical Grand Slam-Mil Dot)). SWFA has them listed on the website but I can't find a review on them.

800362 3-15x50 Mil Dot 30mm
• Powerful 5x magnification
• Fully multi-coated lenses w/ extra hard coating on exterior lenses
• First focal plane reticles
• Waterproof / fogproof / shockproof
• Side focus parallax adjustment
• Reset-to-zero turrets (no caps to lose)
• Argon purged tubes to eliminate internal fogging
• One-piece construction
• 30mm tubes
• Mil Dot reticles

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/tactical.aspx </div></div>

No mention if the Weaver Tactical turrets are mil or moa. Since there is no mention, I'm guessing the dreaded moa?
Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm $649.95
Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical 30mm $724.95

Pretty close in price with the side focus. Not sure that is an improvement. More magnification is nice.

If it is mil/moa they can keep it as far as I'm concerned.

A comparison between the Super Sniper variable and the Falcon Menace 4-14 FFP would be interesting...

Well, I just bought one off ebay, so the glass better be as good as you guys made out! lol

I despise ebay, but this is going on an AR, so it would just be stupid not to get a free mount and rings.... Plus, this will add on to my ongoing free coozie collection! Those guys at swfa know how to build a package! I've wanted to check out the mil-dot master just to see how useful it could be, but didn't want to throw down the cash.... This fixes that problem!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE:

Just a heads up for those interested in the SWFA SS 3-9x42MM Variable:

You can buy it of course from the SWFA website for $599.95, plus shipping and you get the scope, nothing else.

OR

You can buy it from SWFA on E-Bay. The SWFA listing on E-Bay, again is for $599.95. BUT.....you also get included in that price:

S.S.A.L.T mount 30mm w/1" inserts
SS-TAC Picatinny rail top
2.25" SS Sun Shade
Set of Butler Creek flip ups
Mil Dot Master
SS Ball cap w/Super Chicken logo
SS Khaki Koozie (beer wrap)

The E-bay deal is better than listed on SWFA's website, and you can sell the mounts, rail, and mildot master, if you don't need em'.

Thanks,

Bob </div></div>

and a link:

Super Sniper 3-9x42 FFP MIL/MIL scope

Can a user of this scope confirm that it is 30mm tube? I see that the SWFA Egay page says 30mm but their website does not say and them giving you a mount that has 1" inserts seems quasi-queer if the scope is 30mm?

Please confirm.

It's a 30mm. The 1 inch inserts are a cnvenience if you have a 1 inch scope and want to upgrade later.

Thank you sir......

So are any of you testers done with the scopes and looking to unload them yet???
whistle.gif

We originally put that auction on ebay from a customers request to utilize a coupon he had. We also just put it on our site for you anti ebayers.

It’s not under any category so you have to search SFWA1 on our site to find it.

Or just click this link
http://swfa.com/Super-Sniper-Kit-P42152.aspx

SWFA,

So now you tell us, after we had to buy it though dastardly EBAY. Actually I was wondering why I could not find that deal on your website. I guess I did not look hard enough.

In any event, I got mine delivered through you via EBAY, last week, and hope to wring it out very soon.

If I may make a suggestion, perhaps you might want to consider two different package deals with your SS variable. One the same as you have, on the second, drop the S.S.A.L.T mount and the SS-TAC Picatinny rail top, and add a SWFA SS Kill Flash ARD.

Thanks for the heads up,

Bob

Yea this kit is designed for an AR15 shooter. I'll work on the other kit you have mentioned.

Brady

SWFA - Brady,

Yes, I figured the package was geared to a AR15 shooter. But your new scope is also a good choice for light tactical bolt guns. Mine is currently mounted on a bolt Rem 700 LTR in 308. I'm considering another one for my bolt Rem XCR Compact in .223.

Thanks for considering other options,

Bob

Bob - I'm with you. It seems a natural fit for a good bolt action 223 (practice rifle) or a gas 308.

Rich

Will this thing come with a serial number, so that I can finally get bushnell to send me an end, for the objective on my 16x?

The scope arrived today! I mounted it on the AR, but haven't taken it out to compare with the 16x. Just from handling it though, I am impressed! The turrets are much better than the ones on the fixed models! The clicks are much more defined and do not have a hint of the "mushiness" that the fixed version was notorious for. IMO, the variable clicks are not nearly as audible as the ones of the fixed model, but they can be heard. The glass looks great, but as I said I haven't taken it outdoors yet. The only real complaint, I have with the scope, is that the indicator marks on the inner tube of the turrets are hard to see when the windage is dialed to the far left or the elevation is dialed down... I haven't sighted it in, but I hope that the zero is further up and to the right than where it was set at the factory. If not, I will more than likely have to etch an extension line onto the elevation turret, because it is easily confused with the 1 that is printed one click to the left of the indicator line.

As for the mount, it seems to be a very solid piece! I had a little trouble aligning the screws while mounting the ring with the picatinny rail on top. I did not want to strip them and did not plan on using it anyway, so I just put it back in the box. I'll probably pull it out later and figure out whether or not it was a user error or if the screw holes aren't true..... I torqued the ring caps to 20"lbs and the mounting screws to 60"lbs... All of the fasteners torqued down just fine and did not show any sign of stress from misalignment or poor quality.... Time will tell.

The coozie is pretty cool too! However, I am not a fan of the slap style coozies.....
frown.gif

I'd prefer the normal style with a bottom in it lol

not to thread hyjack, why does the price of their scopes go down with the higher magnification?

The prices are the same for the fixed mags with the exception of the 10xm with the side parallax knob....

I haven't been able to get out to the range with mine yet.... Just checking out the glass though it is definitely better than the 16x! Of course it will perform better since it is a lower magnification, but I think it is just flat out better glass! The lack of a parallax adjustment takes a little getting use to, but a quick zoom in/zoom out will adjust your eye to get rid of any fuzziness.... That's all I have got for now....

any more user reviews of this scope?

Cheers,
Rath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any more user reviews of this scope?

Cheers,
Rath </div></div>

yes would like to read more reviews about this scope.

Lowlight just got one. No review yet, but the thread is started somewhere in Optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea this kit is designed for an AR15 shooter. I'll work on the other kit you have mentioned.

Brady </div></div>

did you get a chance to work on a second kit ? thanks.

What are the size of the mil dots in the variable SS. 0.25 or 0.20 mils?

Thanks,
Maarten

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea this kit is designed for an AR15 shooter. I'll work on the other kit you have mentioned.

Brady </div></div>

did you get a chance to work on a second kit ? thanks. </div></div>

Here you go. Not sure if this one will be on our swfa.com site though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:L:LCA:US:1123

Brady

gents, get on this deal!

Every time I use this scope I have to remind myself I paid only $600 for it. Its awesome.

Rath

I sent an email to SWFA and asked the same question. I quote their reply;

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">"Lifetime, transferable"</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thebolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent an email to SWFA and asked the same question. I quote their reply;

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">"Lifetime, transferable"</span></span> </div></div>

That's good to know! Hey SWFA! I see for instance on a Vortex Viper scope at the SWFA site, at the bottom of the specs "Warranty: Unlimited Transferable Warranty", probably would be a good thing to add after all of the SWFA SS scopes too. Might increase WARRANTY claims, but should help sales!

Wish I had read this thread yesterday. I drove all the way from Temple to Red Oak this morning. All I got extra was a white cardboard box. Not even any documentation? The scope is very nice thats the main thing.

for those looking at the new FFP mil/mil SS 3-9x42, there are more "kits" in this configuration minus the AR mount on the bay, and it's a hell of a deal. There were at least 10 left when I bought mine last week.. Just a friendly heads up for a smokin' buy..!

Seeee!!! I used the search function!
laugh.gif

More long term stories? Has anyone yet to kill one from use? Not pounding tent stakes with it on youtube!

Also through reading this thread I saw one guy mention it had too thick of a reticle for all but the finest LR shooting...since YMMV is it thicker than common FFP Mildot's?

yall think these are better than the falcon menace 4-14x50? I know the falcon has more magnificaiton but what about tracking ability?