• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor blew up

So to those that have seen failures and the can has to be replaced does the manufacture cover the new tax stamp fee? Tax stamps.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I think it would be up to the manufacturer if the covered it or not. Hopefully YHM will see that this wasn’t neglect and it was a manufacturing flaw and cover the tax stamp.

And be sure to thank gemtax for causing this ruling.
Before Batfe changed it years ago, many manufacturers would swap a tube with your old s/n.
Actually Brittingham was fixing gemtech junk, with AAC parts. Resulting in gemtech crying to Batfe for a ruling on re-using a s/n. This is what caused the ruling change,
which goes back to Dater/Brittingham early days.
Stupid shit.

How short of a 308 barrel was he shooting it on? Could the higher pressures from say a 16” 308 do it if the can was only rated for say an 18”-20” 308?

That's good to hear. I'm looking to pick up a couple of Resonator R2 cans whenever they get back in stock. They seem like the best buy in a suppressor considering the price.

Okay then, stupid question for the engineering-interested: Why are they engraved?

No I don't mean why does ATF require engraving, but why engrave on the tube directly? Would it be implausible to have, say... a small thicker area — machined or or welded on — for a dataplate that could take the engraving without sacrificing strength? Or something?

This is how Energetic Armament serializes their cans - a welded band as close to the mounting point as possible.

Reactions: shoobe01
That's good to hear. I'm looking to pick up a couple of Resonator R2 cans whenever they get back in stock. They seem like the best buy in a suppressor considering the price.
I currently am awaiting an R2 I have purchased as well. Was impressed by article here comparing 27 suppressors, https://www.silencercentral.com/blog/we-tested-27-rifle-suppressors-heres-what-we-found/

Now these are bolt action types but in the end I think the R2 wins in terms of best sound reduction and is half the price of similar cans a top of the list. That said, in semi-automatics its baffle design can lead to not quiet so good results at the shooter's ear from what I saw in some videos. It wasn't terrible but the sound was significantly louder at the shooter's ear than the muzzle.

Reactions: Arc Light
We did a bunch of testing with a variety of anti-seize compounds many years back. The idea at the time was to see if we could come up with something to prevent crap from sticking to the baffles. So for some of these tests we coated the inside of the blast chamber and the rear faces of all the baffles with nickel high temp, copper or graphite anti-seize and blasted away. What we found was that it didn't make much difference in the rifle cal stuff as it all got blasted away after a few shots. No carbon build up was ever seen and we never melted any of the anti-seize. In the 22LR cal cans it actually seemed to help a bit unless you went too long between cleanings. About 500-1000rds seemed to be ok. Stuff scraped off better than without anything but it was still messy and anti-seize isn't cheap. In the 22LR cans there was no evidence of any more carbon buildup than without anti-seize. So the BS meter is usually pegged when I hear that running anti-seize on the barrel threads has gummed up a suppressor. It just doesn't make any sense to me after goobing the crap out of them and seeing no issues to have a micro tiny amount suddenly create chaos. In addition to that we've done a number of endurance tests with belt feds and high powered stuff to see how the cans react to high temps.....the answer is not so well if its too hot. Despite overheating things we still never saw any difference in buildup between running and not running anti-seize. We normally run the high temp nickel because the graphite is really intended for other purposes and copper is something we never used around aircraft when I was working on them so nickle is what's left.

One detail about anti-seize. The grease used is a carrier, not the material that does the work. It is used to keep the actual anti-seize in suspension so that it can be applied. The reason parts seize up is called galling. It is a process by which metal parts weld themselves together in spots and with threads this really screws things up.....or should I say that it locks it up. Usually dissimilar metals won't gall together so running stainless can on a chromemoly barrel will be ok and vice versa. There are some materials more prone to this than others as well. Titanium galls on everything. Its really bad. Some stainless can gall on a wide range of things too. What normally leads to this is the carbon crap scraping away the surface of the threads exposing nice clean metal that will weld to the metal on the opposite parts threads where it has been scraped clean. What the anti-sieze actually does is deposit microscopic flakes of some other metal or graphite on the surfaces and this will help prevent the welding. Even after the grease has been burned away the anti-seize still works fine because its the nickel, copper or graphite that is doing the work. Just a dab ul do ya.

I find carbon buildup on the muzzle face of my barrels after shooting for a while though the actual bore and exit are always clear. The carbon buildup is concentric and I've not seen any change in accuracy with the buildup. For the last 22 years or so I've been shooting suppressed and building suppressors so I have some real world experience.

Last thing I want to add is that the manufacturers aren't making their materials from scratch. They buy tubing and bar from a supplier. Each of these materials is made in a way that always has a possibility of flaws that can't readily be detected. Inclusions in the steel or titanium can be as bad or worse then engraving or nicks or scratches. If you have a flaw and engrave over the top of it you end up with a failure at some pressure lower than what the can should handle if it were flawless. These things happen and most manufacturers will take care of it unless you're a real trouble maker. Help them help you out and let them do their jobs. They need to know if there is something wrong as it will help down the road for everyone.

Frank

Very nicely put without attacks or name calling of others. I find explaining from my viewpoint as you just did helps others to consider your viewpoint as not an attack on them personally. When someone starts calling me names instead of discussing the merits, the discussion is over.

I just want to say Thank You to Frank and Snipershide for providing me the Ignore button which is used during this thread.

It just makes life a little more pleasant not having to read the nonsense some choose to spew.

Carry on.

Chet

Please help this ignorant newbie, WTF is the 'ignore' creature?

So as you read a post within a thread, you can click on the user name of the person (or just hoover over it) who posted a comment.

At the bottom second button from the left is Ignore. By clicking this you will not see any further post from that member.

I find it useful.

Regards.

Chet

Reactions: Sid Post and rsb
Mooseknuckles, did this issue get fully resolved?
Repaired can received?
Appreciate any update.
Thank you.

I’ll do everyone a solid tomorrow, I’ll call the ATF myself and ask them to expedite all pending form 4’s. Can’t hurt to ask..

Yea they would tell you sure guy....

But seriously the ATF will often expedite a stamp for a warrenty replacement

So the can was fully replace with a new one but yankee hill did not cover the tax stamp. Also he had to start the process all over again. The can is at the ffl’s but he has to wait for approval all over again. He is not to happy about it but at least the can was replaced. The only thing I didn’t understand is why yankee hill didn’t replace the can with the same titanium can? Instead they sent one of there new stainless cans.

So the can was fully replace with a new one but yankee hill did not cover the tax stamp. Also he had to start the process all over again. The can is at the ffl’s but he has to wait for approval all over again. He is not to happy about it but at least the can was replaced. The only thing I didn’t understand is why yankee hill didn’t replace the can with the same titanium can? Instead they sent one of there new stainless cans.

I didn’t read the entire thread but If you blew out the can...would you want the exact same can as a replacement....????

You think YHM would just kick in $200 to save face in a situation like this. If my can was destroyed to no fault of my own, I had to redo my tax stamp, pay another $200 and wait 8-12 months for my replacement it be the last can I owned with their name on the side

If this is determined to be a legit failure, send the guy $400 and ask what other suppressor he’d like to wait for in the meantime as well. In a market where there’s so many options you’d want to set yourself apart in reassuring your customers they made the right choice

Last edited:
First shot of the day it blew out the side.

Just a question. I am by no means an expert and I try to stay in my lane (or be aware of my limitations)... but do you know what the weather was like the day the can blew up?

This thread got me curious about the failure and what could cause it...so I read a little bit about the properties of titanium. Some of the sources said that if Titanium is cold it gets brittle and is substantially easier to break. As the metal heats up it becomes more malleable. A simple theory could be that of the perfect mix of weather (more specifically cold to some degree) and a higher pressure round. Black Hills is awesome ammunition. Everything I've ever shot of theirs I've liked but (at least from what I recall) they have a tendency to load the ammo a bit warm vs the competitors.

Of course I have no idea if any of this is plausible but it could make sense based on my reading of Google.

Edit: I also found this old thread which I found some of the comments to be somewhat interesting.

Last edited:
I didn’t read the entire thread but If you blew out the can...would you want the exact same can as a replacement....????

You think YHM would just kick in $200 to save face in a situation like this. If my can was destroyed to no fault of my own, I had to redo my tax stamp, pay another $200 and wait 8-12 months for my replacement it be the last can I owned with their name on the side

If this is determined to be a legit failure, send the guy $400 and ask what other suppressor he’d like to wait for in the meantime as well. In a market where there’s so many options you’d want to set yourself apart in reassuring your customers they made the right choice
That is what I thought. We stopped up at the ffl to pick up some ar lowers and he showed me that they gave him a different can. I assumed he was getting the same one.
I have a silenceco can and if if failed because of a flaw and I didn’t receive the same suppressor I would hope it would be an upgraded can or the same model. If not I would be looking at a different company.
@alamo5000
The weather that day was pretty mild. I think it was mid 40s, maybe 50 degrees out. He has shot it in weather as cold as 20 degrees before and had no issues.
So I just look quick on YHM’s site. The send him the Resonator k2 r30 can. They do not make the same can he had. But they do have a titanium one that would be equal to what he had. So instead sending him the equal can that is 1300 dollars they sent him a 600 dollar one. I’m going to have to talk with him and the ffl to see what can be done about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakwa
In my personal opinion this is not playing out well for either party.

Customer should receive another titanium can.

YHM should cover the replacement can and tax stamp.

JMHO

Yeah I’m fairly confident there is a pricing disparity between a ss and a ti can. Hope they give your buddy a gift certificate or something if they are sending him a cheaper can.

In my personal opinion this is not playing out well for either party.

Customer should receive another titanium can.

YHM should cover the replacement can and tax stamp.

JMHO
I was wrong, they did cover the tax stamp. I talked to my buddy earlier today.
@Powder_Burns
yes there is a pretty big price difference in the cans. Almost 600 dollar difference. My buddy doesn’t want to call and bitch at YHM about it, so I might do it for him and see if I can make it right.

Just read through the whole thread. Following.