• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor for .338 Lap Mag?

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
Who makes the best suppressor for the .338 Lapua Magnum?

I would like to use it on my .308 and .30-06, how well would it work if I did so?

Re: Suppressor for .338 Lap Mag?

+1 I'm looking for the same thing...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'am awaiting the AWC Systms Thundertrap for both my .338's and my .308. I have one of their Archangels for my .22's. Contact Chris at AWC. I should be clear for delivery by September. </div></div>

Have that very suppressor..... you won't be disappointed!

A good 338 can will work dandy on a 308 and 30-06. It might not be AS quiet as a 30 caliber can, but it will be close.

Keep in mind that a good volume rule to keep in mind is

Powder volume of the case
------------------------- = 100-150+
Air volume of the can

IE - Let's assume the target case has an internal powder volume that works out to 1 cubic inch, the can needs to have 100-150 cubic inches.

If the 338 can will take care of a 338LM it will do the 308 no problem.

Supersonic bullet noise is going to be the downfall of all of these ideas.

Im a big fan of the surefire 338 can. I posted video a while back. Awesome!

Is there a clear choice on who makes the best can?

Is there a can that isn't quite the best but costs a lot less? (Value for the money?)

just wondering---anyone ever try a 50 can on a 338? I know it will be loader but am wondering if it would still do a fair enough job. Obviously I ask because I already have a 50 can and dont want to spend another fortune if it will do reasonably well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ER72....what's the SF can run for $$$? </div></div>

I got it a couple of years ago and I think it was like $1800. Super quiet. Reduces recoil a ton and makes it easy to shoot. Lots of fun too!

Best one I've seen so far was the AAC Titan , the titanium model is said to be as quiet but I can't see forking out that kind of money.

It works great better than the ohers we tested.

Actually the Ti Titan is about 6dB louder than the steel version, probably because it is 1.8" diameter instead of 2". The benefit is it's half the weight. If you're looking for pure suppression the stainless Titan (~40oz) is the best I've heard. If you need light weight also, the Ti version is excellent but costs over $3000, and the Surefire .338 can might be worth considering too.

Curiosity, but do you have machine shop access, specifically lathe access?

For the money involved, if you have the space, you can build a suppressor of that size on a little 6x24" lathe and still have money left over for extra tooling and stuff for other projects.

A Form 1 costs $200 plus materials, another 600 for even a low grade little lathe and you're still ahead of the game.

Conqueror, do you think the Ti Titan is louder also because of the QD?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curiosity, but do you have machine shop access, specifically lathe access?

For the money involved, if you have the space, you can build a suppressor of that size on a little 6x24" lathe and still have money left over for extra tooling and stuff for other projects.

A Form 1 costs $200 plus materials, another 600 for even a low grade little lathe and you're still ahead of the game. </div></div>

Can you farm out custom parts with that form?
600.00 will buy about a shift of cnc time.

TC

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">I think you'd have to be present for the whole process and take the parts with you at the end of the day. Maybe pressing start on the machine would be a good idea too.</span>

I think I was wrong.

You cannot have the suppressor built off the licensed premises if you are a mfg, as an individual you cannot have parts for a suppressor made by anyone that does not have an 07/02 license. Parts are regulated just as a complete suppressor. You could, as an individual, rent a shop/machine and do the work yourself, but if you pay or contract someone else to do the work, they would be manufacturing a suppressor part and need an FFL/tax stamp as an mfg.

Just to stay on topic, I went with the Surefire can and got an extra mount to put on a .308 rifle. It works great on both.

You have to make it yourself, nobody but you can make the parts as I understand the law.

If you bought a lathe and the pieces needed like I mentioned it would probably not be too hard to resell if you decided it's not worth the space it takes up.

I have a feeling that wouldn't happen though. The money saved pays for a lot more Form 1's...

I have talked to the ATF a couple times reguarding the building of suppressors and I was told that you can take the parts to a machine shaop and they can build them for you but you must be their the entire time and when you leave you must take ALL of the parts. You are not contracting out the building of the suppressor simply the machining of parts if the the suppressor will be assembled by you weather that be screwed together or welded.

On the topic of the thread , the AAC (stainless steel) Titan suppressor was tested against several other well know suppressors and it was the most quiet of the bunch , but it is a thread mount and heavy but considering it was being mounted on an 18 pound gun that was 50+" long so what.

Anyone know a good dealer for the Surefire suppressor (preferably one that offers military discounts)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: konabully</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at Elite Iron and their website:

http://www.EliteIron.net

Dale & Kathy Poling are great people and build a kick-ass suppressor.

</div></div>

When I get back from my deployment I just might have to gift myself a TRG package from these people.

Is there any website I can go that describes how to make a suppressor?

Jong , try here , their is a section about "silencer smithing" and alot of those guys have made several of their own cans , I've made a few and not minding that they are a little bit bigger and heavier than most commercial cans you can make them more effective

who is the best person to go thru for a Surefire 338LM can?

I've got a steel Titan coming but would like to try both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jong , try here , their is a section about "silencer smithing" and alot of those guys have made several of their own cans , I've made a few and not minding that they are a little bit bigger and heavier than most commercial cans you can make them more effective</div></div>

I think you forgot the link......I'm guessing it was this one.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/

I will have 14 cans ready for 338 2 are sold ones mine so 11 sell one is .5 inches shorter than the rest they are 1.875 by 10 inches all titanium and inconel

Price is Tba

The tubing this size is very hard to find

I hope to demo my 338 Norma magnum with the can in September at Tiger Valley team sniper match

David