• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Suppressor transfers

GRP7099

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2011
Ohio
I am in the process of purchasing my first suppressor. I found one on an online gun sales site and inquired about it. The seller was in Florida and I'm in Ohio. The seller told me that it would cost me around $2000 to have it transfered to Ohio. It was a used Gem Tech 7.62 for $650! Is this amount true for a transfer? This is my first experience with an NFA item.

Re: Suppressor transfers

It's a $200 transfer tax to get it to your dealer, then another $200 to get it to you.
Generally only in state used suppressor sales make financial sense.

I believe all that is necessary is a form 3 transfer to a dealer in your state. You will wait about 2 months for the form 3 to clear at which point the dealer in florida will mail it to the dealer in Ohio. Then you will be able to file a form 4. The form for costs $200 and will take about 6 months to clear. After the form 4 clears, you will be able to take your suppressor home.

The form 3 is a tax free transfer. It may be the case that the dealer in Florida does not want to deal with this kind of transfer. If he is willing to transfer it, he will no doubt want the suppressor paid for up front (before filing the form 3).

I do not know the specific information needed to transfer on form 3, but your class 3 dealer in ohio should be able to communicate with the dealer in Florida to get it done.

I have never heard of a $2000 transfer from one state to another.

Although if the suppressor is on a form 4 with the dealer instead of a form 3, things might be different. Someone else might know more. Good luck.

If the suppressor is still owned by an individual in Florida, it would be a $200 transfer to his dealer, then a free form 3 transfer to your dealer in Ohio, then another $200 transfer from your dealer to you. Lots of wait time, lots of tax money. This plus whatever your dealer charges you for the transfer, here it runs $50-$100. It would be more cost effective probably to buy in state, but $2000? Where did he come up with that?

The dealer in Florida said it was on a form 4 with him. He said the cost wasn't worth it. I just didn't know the difference. I was just wondering if I was going to run into this again.