• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor ultra9/Hyperion?

Mja454

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2022
Sarasota,Fl
Hey guys new to the forum. I want to get my first suppressor. I shoot a Bergara 6.5cm. I was at the range the other day (manatee) and I guy beside me was shooting a 308 with a Cgs can on it (Hyperion). I was amazed at how it sounded. Sounded like a air gun. I’ve looked all over the internet and you just dont find much people talking about them. I see a ton about the thunderbeast. If you guys could help me out and persuade me what I should get I’d appreciate it. Accuracy over sound reduction is more important to me. I’ll be mostly bench shooting and possibly try some matches down the road. Thanks guys

What’s most important to you? Length, weight, maximum suppression? For a can that size the thunder beast magnus is supposed to be the best there is currently. I submitted paperwork to the atf yesterday on one. Hyperion is a great can, dead air nomad L and LT are right up there too but if you’re buying a can that size get the best which is the magnus.

Hey guys new to the forum. I want to get my first suppressor. I shoot a Bergara 6.5cm. I was at the range the other day (manatee) and I guy beside me was shooting a 308 with a Cgs can on it (Hyperion). I was amazed at how it sounded. Sounded like a air gun. I’ve looked all over the internet and you just dont find much people talking about them. I see a ton about the thunderbeast. If you guys could help me out and persuade me what I should get I’d appreciate it. Accuracy over sound reduction is more important to me. I’ll be mostly bench shooting and possibly try some matches down the road. Thanks guys

https://pewscience.com/rankings

CGS is making some of if not the best stuff available atm. The Hyperion will be even quieter on 6.5cm. So if you were impressed with it on 308 you'll really like it on 6.5. It's the most impressive silencer I've heard on a bolt gun. As is their Helios qd ti for 6-7" silencers.

CGS are precision rifle silencers, accuracy will not be negatively impacted. You will be very happy with your purchase.

QfN7un7.jpg

cvV3zkf.jpg

I have had both. Very similar suppressors overall from a performance standpoint. Technically the hyperion is a step quieter, about equal to a 338 Ultra. Thunder Beast has answered this with their new Magnus. My only real gripe with the Hyperion is you're forced into a direct thread attachment style. For some thats a benefit though.

Thanks guy for the reply’s. Size and weight is not a factor for me. Just looking for the best suppressor that doesn’t affect the guns accuracy and then silencing it. Hey @Supersubes the SR mount is that what your taking about instead of direct thread? I have a fat b muzzle brake already so I don’t mind just swapping them when I need to.

Thanks guy for the reply’s. Size and weight is not a factor for me. Just looking for the best suppressor that doesn’t affect the guns accuracy and then silencing it. Hey @Supersubes the SR mount is that what your taking about instead of direct thread? I have a fat b muzzle brake already so I don’t mind just swapping them when I need to.
The SR is tbac’s locking system. The ultra 9 takes the 30cb brake. The new magnus can be ordered for the SR style, CB style, or HUB style. The HUB style can use anything, as its just a standardized rear thread that accepts many mounts from many companies. This is flexible, but susceptible to tolerance stacking.

The CB is probably your best bet for the mount, as the SR is not needed. Id also say you should consider the Magnus over the U9. Think of it as a slightly fatter but quieter ultra 9.

Reactions: Mja454

The Magnus has the sr, cb or hub.
Hub is 1.375x24.

There are numerous options available for 1.375x24.

Hyperion is direct thread. It is actually designed to be direct threaded to a 25⁰ tapered barrel.

Honest question cause I’m curious, can the Hyperion and other 3d printed suppressors be recored/repaired?

Honest question cause I’m curious, can the Hyperion and other 3d printed suppressors be recored/repaired?

No. They have removable front caps though. So if you get a cap strike thats an easy fix. Iirc to date they have not had a single dmls can sent in for a baffle strike or core damage though.

Thank you guys for all the help. I’m going to go with the magnus cb. I’m located in Florida what’s the best way to get one? All the places I see that are selling them are sold out.

Thank you guys for all the help. I’m going to go with the magnus cb. I’m located in Florida what’s the best way to get one? All the places I see that are selling them are sold out.
Look on tbacs website for any prominent dealers near you, as they likely have some on order( its a new model for tbac). Then get on a list with that dealer.

Mile high shooting has the hub version in stock if that interests you. I’m going to use mine with the area 419 hellfire adapter.

Other good options you shouldn't overlook...

Dead Air Nomad-L or Nomad-LT
Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L
TBAC Magnus HUB
Energetic Armament LUX

I have the first 2 listed (Nomad-LT and OCL Hydrogen-L) and they are both VERY quiet and phenomenal cans I highly recommend them. They are lightweight, have excellent suppression, excellent sound signature, good tone, both are great companies making quality products with good customer service. Both cans are threaded 1.375x24 HUB threads, which allows you to pick whatever HUB threaded mounting systems you would like. They both also sound excellent on AR's and semi-autos. I have plenty of videos on my YT channel of each, if you're interested in hearing how they sound on a range of different cartridges and platforms. I upload about every 2-3 weeks, and just got back several rifles I was having threaded at the gunsmith, in even more cartridges to test.

I have a Hyperion and it is pretty amazing. I also submitted my paperwork for a 338 Ultra and Dominus the other day. I don't think you can go wrong with either, and I look forward to shooting them all side by side.

Lots of great options in that category.

I would think of the following and let it help drive your decision:

- What price do I want to spend?
- What suppressors are currently in stock to purchase?
- What mounting system do I want to use?

Mile high shooting has the hub version in stock if that interests you. I’m going to use mine with the area 419 hellfire adapter.
I saw that I was hopping to find a cb one. I see they have a ultra 9 cb 6.5 in stock I wondering how much of a difference is it really worth the extra 300$? Tbac YouTube videos show a 4.7 db difference at the ear from the magnus and ultra9

Lots of great options in that category.

I would think of the following and let it help drive your decision:

- What price do I want to spend?
- What suppressors are currently in stock to purchase?
- What mounting system do I want to use?
Price is really not a issue more is it worth the extra 300$ I called mile high yesterday to check on if they have the magnus cb still waiting to hear from them. My next choice would be the ultra9 if I can’t get the magnus.

I saw that I was hopping to find a cb one. I see they have a ultra 9 cb 6.5 in stock I wondering how much of a difference is it really worth the extra 300$? Tbac YouTube videos show a 4.7 db difference at the ear from the magnus and ultra9
The way I look at it is there’s no reason not to get the quietest can for the size you’re willing to go with, I’m actually really happy I didn’t get an ultra 9 before the magnus came out.

There’s certainly nothing wrong with the CB mount but there’s tons of good options for 1.375” mounts like area 419 and plan B. I’ll be using the area 419 on mine so I can seamlessly switch to the hellfire match brake if I want.

The way I look at it is there’s no reason not to get the quietest can for the size you’re willing to go with, I’m actually really happy I didn’t get an ultra 9 before the magnus came out.

There’s certainly nothing wrong with the CB mount but there’s tons of good options for 1.375” mounts like area 419 and plan B. I’ll be using the area 419 on mine so I can seamlessly switch to the hellfire match brake if I want.
I see mile high has the magnus hub in stock which is tempting to buy. But then I’ll have to buy the Area 419 hub or I’ve seen dead air makes a adapter that’s left hand threads so it’s easier to tighten and take off. But the adapter hub and muzzle brake is another 230$. I’ll be up around 2000$ for this setup.

I see mile high has the magnus hub in stock which is tempting to buy. But then I’ll have to buy the Area 419 hub or I’ve seen dead air makes a adapter that’s left hand threads so it’s easier to tighten and take off. But the adapter hub and muzzle brake is another 230$. I’ll be up around 2000$ for this setup.
The HUB and CB magnus are the same price, but the CB comes with a 30cb brake. So if you werent going to put it on a bunch of guns, the CB would be most cost effective. Area 419 makes the adapter for CB cans.

I never said it was going to be cheap.

im going to call around Monday and see if anybody has a cb in stock if not I’ll get the hub. I know either way I’ll be getting one of the best suppressors on the market and that’s a good feeling!

Reactions: Jnull
@TBACRAY Ray If was to buy the magnus hub would you suggest the deadair xeno adapter and brake? Since it’s left handed threads.
This is kind of a funny subject. Tbac only made the HUB magnus because of public demand. Theyre quite open about disclaiming the use of any HUB adapters because they cant control them as they can with the CB, which they make and test in house. Id be surprised if Zack opines at all on one HUB adapter over another.

My vote as well.

Not LH thread, however not sure how much that really matters anyways.

Rearden makes great stuff, and I find the taper thread to be the most elegant solution out there.

Loctite the hub adapter into the suppressor and you won't have any issues with it coming off. Rearden also puts wrench flats on their muzzle devices and adapters (unlike Q), so any small problems don't turn into big issues.

I think my best bet it’s just to wait for a magnus cb. It seems like that’s what Tbac recommends. I gotta admit I didn’t realize there was this much different in setups for mounting your suppressors.

I think my best bet it’s just to wait for a magnus cb. It seems like that’s what Tbac recommends. I gotta admit I didn’t realize there was this much different in setups for mounting your suppressors.

While I can 100% see why TBAC would recommend that (and there's certainly good reasons for them to do so), if you go with a quality mounting system, like what Rearden MFG supplies, I don't think you will encounter issues.

While I can 100% see why TBAC would recommend that (and there's certainly good reasons for them to do so), if you go with a quality mounting system, like what Rearden MFG supplies, I don't think you will encounter issues.
No issues with the Dead Air KeyMo on my end going from different brands of suppressors and different types of suppressors.

Reactions: Mja454 and kthomas
I doubt we're going to endorse any HUB mount systems for the main reason that we can't really be responsible for them because we don't make them. The HUB version was made for people who already had an investment in another system that they knew worked well for them.

Our policy on third party stuff is pretty much, generally, that using it doesn't invalidate your warranty, but if it is what caused the problem and/or damage, that's not covered by our warranty. Can still be fixed at shop rate, etc. That's the policy for the booster-replacing third party back ends, or pistons, on the Fly 9.

I have a project in the works for myself that will use a Magnus in HUB mode for a specific reason and I think I'll just pick one of the better machined direct thread mounts (and then make sure to check for runout).

As for left hand threads, I've never messed with them on a rifle, but my experience with the Fly9 testing is that it was exceptionally annoying to have left-hand threads on the piston and have the booster/can interface be RH. I'd much rather have tightening tighten the whole stack and then just have the larger threads naturally retain better.

Reactions: Mja454 and kthomas
I doubt we're going to endorse any HUB mount systems for the main reason that we can't really be responsible for them because we don't make them. The HUB version was made for people who already had an investment in another system that they knew worked well for them.

Our policy on third party stuff is pretty much, generally, that using it doesn't invalidate your warranty, but if it is what caused the problem and/or damage, that's not covered by our warranty. Can still be fixed at shop rate, etc. That's the policy for the booster-replacing third party back ends, or pistons, on the Fly 9.

I have a project in the works for myself that will use a Magnus in HUB mode for a specific reason and I think I'll just pick one of the better machined direct thread mounts (and then make sure to check for runout).

As for left hand threads, I've never messed with them on a rifle, but my experience with the Fly9 testing is that it was exceptionally annoying to have left-hand threads on the piston and have the booster/can interface be RH. I'd much rather have tightening tighten the whole stack and then just have the larger threads naturally retain better.
Have you seen the JMac Customs Radial HUB brake... I think it would be a great setup on hunting rifles. Curious your thoughts...

I picked up my Hyperion from jail yesterday, and ordered a HUB Magnus. Planning on using the pieces from my Hybrid 46 which is convenient. I'm hoping to have them side by side in a couple of months.

I ordered a Magnus with the hub mount. I’ll probably either use a Xeno or maybe get Dead Air’s sig taper direct thread adapter and throw a CGS Hyperion muzzle device on the barrel.

Oh and I don’t know what host I’m going to put this on. Thinking about a new conversion for my Desert Tech SRS A2 or two.

I ordered a Magnus with the hub mount. I’ll probably either use a Xeno or maybe get Dead Air’s sig taper direct thread adapter and throw a CGS Hyperion muzzle device on the barrel.

Oh and I don’t know what host I’m going to put this on. Thinking about a new conversion for my Desert Tech SRS A2 or two.
The CGS muzzle device isn’t compatible with the Dead Air stuff…. You either use the Dead Air mounts or direct thread goes on the muzzle threads with no mount (this would be the same for any of the mounts regardless of manufacturer).

ETA: I would always prefer a mount with the bevel in front of the threads to keep the suppressor from carbon locking onto the mount. The CGS has the threads in front of the bevel, most others currently do not.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas

Rearden Atlas or direct thread

Reactions: kthomas
I have a Hyperion and it is pretty amazing. I also submitted my paperwork for a 338 Ultra and Dominus the other day. I don't think you can go wrong with either, and I look forward to shooting them all side by side.
Old thread, have you gotten them and had the chance to compare yet? I've already got a Hyperion, on .300 PRC, wondering if there might be a better option for this cartridge.

Old thread, have you gotten them and had the chance to compare yet? I've already got a Hyperion, on .300 PRC, wondering if there might be a better option for this cartridge.
Your only better option might be a 338 Ultra tbac. Perhaps the CGS 338 can?

TBAC Magnus is basically the same performance as the .338 Ultra G2, just 1.3” shorter with a .30 caliber bore, so it might actually be slightly quieter than the .338 Ultra G2.

Last edited:
TBAC Magnus is the same as the .338 Ultra G2, just with a .30 caliber bore, so it might actually be slightly quieter than the .338 Ultra G2.
Magnus is based on the 338 ultra, not the same. 338 is longer, different mount, 338 bore, etc.

Magnus is based on the 338 ultra, not the same. 338 is longer, different mount, 338 bore, etc.
I corrected my post, because I was talking about performance-wise on .30 caliber, or smaller, cartridges. Dimensionally, the .338 G2 is only 1.3” longer, other than that, same exact dimensions, other than bore diameter (like I already stated). They are both offered with the same mounting solution options.

I corrected my post, because I was talking about performance-wise on .30 caliber, or smaller, cartridges. Dimensionally, the .338 G2 is only 1.3” longer, other than that, same exact dimensions, other than bore diameter (like I already stated). They are both offered with the same mounting solution options.
The 338 would be the quieter option for sure. Having played with the Magnus and a hyperion, I don’t think he’d hear the difference at all.

Reactions: MerkZ and FuhQ
To me, the 338 is slightly quieter I think. I have not shot them side by side, but the 338 Ultra G2 has a lot more volume inside the can. The Hyperion is very quiet for what it is.

Reactions: MerkZ