• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire 60 Round Mag

ratrod54

Minuteman
Apr 16, 2013
Frisco, TX
I have searched the forum and cannot seem to find what I need so I figured I would post a question. The SF 60 has no anti-tilt follower. I researched this prior to buying one and had read good reviews. My first experience with it was awful. I am using it with a Rock River Lower and 300 Blackout AAC 9" upper. First three rounds wouldn't feed. They would jam at an angle before entering the chamber. One the fourth try,, when the round jammed at an angle, it forced the next two rounds to nose down and both wound up inside the mag, below the follower.

This thing needs an anti-tilt follower and I was curious to know if there are any options for these mags? Sorry if I have opened a topic which has already been discussed. If so, could someone post the thread and I will read through it and delete this one. Thanks in advance.

I have one, and also have problems with it. I only run 5.56 through it though. Never had anything end up below the follower either. I brought it up during a call with surefire about some lights and they were awesome about taking it in to work on, but since I live in maryland I have to have it sent to them from pa and back to pa in order to get the warranty work done. I have yet to do it since it isn't exactly high on my priorities right now.

I have one for 5.56 and a bump stock works perfectly never jammed. Its really fun :)

I was really surprised. I have heard mostly good reviews. I figured a failure to feed may happen but I never figured that I would get two rounds below the follower. I had only loaded three as I was sighting in my rifle. Maybe with more rounds the spring tension is better and keeps this from happening. I am going to go back tot he P Mags I have I guess until I can figure something out. I will give them a call and see what they have to say as well.

I have 2 of them, and with everything, I tested them both. I loaded 20 rounds of ball ammo in each, and proceeded to fire from rifle #1. Ran like shit through a goose. Same with mag #2 in rifle #1. Did the same with rifle #2. They never skipped a beat for me. I know this wasn't the most scientific test, but put my mind at ease. Best of luck, J

I use one, but just as a mag dump option only. Just wait until you bump or bang it against a hard object really good, it will jam up in the mag. Also, my experience with using it during a mag change and it falls onto the ground, it will fly into pieces. Again, just my experience with it.

They will not run with 300 BLK no matter what you do to them, and they are not made too. Straight from the whoreses mouth.

Good to know. I wasn't sure if I could run 300 BLK through it or not. I haven't tried any 223/5.56. Thanks for the replies.

Hmmn, guess I got lucky. Haven't used mine a ton but it hasn't had a single failure in the 200-300 rounds it's seen.

I got one more than a yr ago. Only 180rds through it so far. Had to take it apart initially because I couldn't get more than 10rds into it. I'll be using it at a match on the 22nd, so I hope it'll run. I'll bet your .300 BO is the issue though. :)

Too bad there is such a diversity of results. Clearly, some magazines run great, while others are problematic. The problem is that they are too spendy for me to be willing to take a chance on whether I get one that works or not. Having to send it back to the manufacturer sucks...I would prefer that surefire have it set up so I could return the mag to the shop where I bought it, and get another new one to try. I am not keen on paying out that kind of $ only to have to send it back...then I will forever know I had a bad part that someone was finally able to make work. I would always wonder if the mag would return to bad performance when I really needed it to work.

Not worth the risk for me...at least not yet.

I think the diversity seen is due to the manner in which people use them. I have yet to see one make it through one of the courses I've run. A LEO group showed up with several of them sprinkled among the group, they all had problems no matter what weapon they were used in. Keep in mind this was a tactical carbine course and shooting and moving from all positions along with mag changes were the norm. If the magazine is bumped,dropped or jarred, it causes the feeding problems that have already been pointed out, both in full auto and semi weapons. I have yet to see one work flawlessly like a normal 30 round magazine.

Of those people who said they have no issues with them, I've found they usually are firing from a static position, not subjecting the magazine to any movement or bumping either outside of or while in the weapon. If you drop it on the ground and pick it up and place it in the weapon the rounds will not feed properly. It's a hot expensive mess of a magazine and I advise people to stay away from them, especially those who rely on their weapon for a living. The agent pictured ended up giving away the 4ea SF 60 round mags to another student, who ended up having problems with them when ever he tried to use them. Save your money and just buy more regular mags that you know will work.

image.jpg