• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire 60 rounders , troubles ?

Pinco Palla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2002
Italy
I've heard of some troubles running the new Surefire 60 rounders , it seems that it does not work reliably.
If you shoot it half way, you can’t refill it, or it jams up and you have to empty it all the way.
Some guns don’t like it.
Too bad, I was hoping it would be a great product for ARs.
Any feedback here please ?
Tnx ,
PP out

Re: Surefire 60 rounders , troubles ?

Must login...

Care to share the cliffs notes version?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both of my 60rd SF mags now have MagPuls on the bottom.

The grey mag has just a few rds shy of 2000 trouble free rounds downrange
The cammie mag appx 200 trouble free rounds downrange.

The original MagPuls were on all of my working GI mags. They provided protection to those mags, and if they were on all of the metal mags, we'd have a lot fewer mag issues

S/F

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com

005LF.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We loaned one of our 60 Rd SureFire mags out to a local SWAT cop.
During a speed reload drill, he dropped in on the hard deck and the base plate popped over the retaining tab.

The magazine still functioned without a burp, but this was something preventable

S/F

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com

080_floorplate.jpg
</div></div>

Is this what you are talking about? May be old news?

gearscout

As far as the ship date of the new mags, Surefire representative Ron Canfield tells us the company has delayed both models if the HCM to make minor changes to the mags to guarantee they function in the broadest number of AR platforms possible. The new ship date is June 30, 2011.

Tolerances vary widely across the spectrum of AR manufactures and while Surefire’s current design works fine in milspec Colt rifles, it runs less reliably in some commercial ARs.

The best we can figure is that the HCM, being based on the USGI service mag, works just fine with M4 and M16 rifles that adhere to Colt’s technology package. Commercial M4 Rifle manufacturers that deviate at all from the spec present a problem for the HCM because they are already using a steeper, M4 style feed ramp (M4 feed ramps are steeper than older M16 feed ramps). Some of these guns also cycle faster and harder which lead to a condition called bullet bounce. I witnessed this firsthand at SHOT Show 2011 when I shot the SF HCM in a brand new LMT rifle that was running a little faster than a milspec Colt M4. At first, I thought the gun was short-stroking, but it turns out it was a case of bullet bounce. Somewhere around round 60 on the second mag, the LMT stopped with the bolt carrier held up about an inch from it’s fully seated position. We switched over to a Colt M4 and carried on through 3 more 100 round mags without a stoppage.

Bullet bounce happens when the top bullet in the magazine is upset as it’s fed. The tip of the bullet hits the steeper M4 feed ramp and bounces back instead of sliding smoothly up and into the chamber. In some fast/hard cycling guns, this can cause bullet setback (the bullet gets pushed back into the casing, reducing OAL) which will turn into a partial bolt override when the shortened round fails to feed. To prevent bullet bounce, Surefire is likely adjusting the lips on the HCM to feed a little more smoothly. This jives with what I was told by Mr. Canfield when he told me, “we’re adjusting the ribs at the top of the magazine to make it compatible with more commercial ARs.”

2 reviews on Midway

Gregory Davis of Lincoln, AR
3.00 stars
Date Posted: 10/5/2011
I just received two surefire 60 round magazines. My first attempt to run 60 rounds through a magazine resulted in two failures to feed. In both cases after around 30 rounds the springs/follower stopped putting any pressure on the rounds. In both cases I had to remove the magazine and shake a loose round out of the chamber. I could literally shake loose rounds out of the magazine as there was not any pressure to hold them in. Pushing down on the rounds, i.e. compressing the springs/follower several times freed it up to start feeding again. I would not put myself in a situation where I had to depend on these magazines for flawless function.

Was this review helpful? Yes No 0 found it helpful | 0 did not
Tom F of Fort Worth, TX
2.00 stars
Date Posted: 11/8/2011
Uh Oh! I hope this thing needs breaking in somehow. At round number 34 the follower got stuck. After smacking it a few times it finally went up. But managed to stop after each round until round number 41. Then it ran normally. I hope it starts running or it is back to Midway. Thats too much money to spend on a mag that is not reliable.

I have one, it has been trouble free for me. But I have not shot it a ton.

I have heard less than favorable 1st hand reviews from some of the top 3 gunners. I won't be buying one. Realistically, a mag change is very quick with standard mags that are known to work..........that is if you seat them all the way.......damn it!

Quality 30 rounders and aim, an army study showed one round every two seconds can be effective for suppression if the rounds are close. What do you want from an AR lift and shift tactics? Make a bunch of noise? I say buy a stack of good 30 round mags for the same money load 3-10 rounds each and practice reload drills. It seams to me there is to much focus on new gadgets and not enough on shooting and training.

I just picked one up this past Sunday and used it on Monday at our Monthly Swat Training and it ran perfect and balanced out nice on my 12" MK18.

It's been hit-or-miss with these mags. FWIW, we are doing a T&E on one for my agency in hopes to put them in all of the M4s in the squad cars. I have shot it and been very satisfied. We only have about 500rds through the mag right now, but it's worked flawlessly for us.

In an AR it works reliably but in a SCAR it malfunctions every time. The follower binds and causes FTF malfunctions. I think there is some operator tuning that needs to occur and they will be just fine. They're brand new and will no doubt have some growing pains.