• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Surefire Mags?

Are the 60rd Surefire Mags reliable? Dependable?

I find the surefire mags to be reliable. I use my surefire mag with an ar that has a slidefire stock on it and just about every time I go to the range I do at least 1 mag dump , never had any feed issues . I reload the mag after range use but it never sits loaded much longer than a month so I cant comment on how they perform after they sit loaded for extended periods of time.

I've seen several come back with feed issues. I would rather go with a drum mag or link a couple 40rd mags together.

No feed issues, occasionally will fail to lock the bolt back on the last round. Good mag IMO, but way too pricey to justify getting more than one right now.

For the guys using these. Are they mostly range toys? or are you using them in patrol rifles as well?

For the most part they are reliable. Out of 15 or so guys issued them only a couple had problems. I have seen failure to feeds mostly when running full auto or when using a suppressor. Seems that the follower cannot always keep up when the gun is cycling faster than a standard carbine length gas system does.

I traded mine in for a Ready Mag. That way I can still have 60 rounds on my gun using standard mags. After I do a reload I can replace the mag in the Ready Mag slot. Another benefit is that if a mag shits the bed, I only lose 30 rounds, not 60.

I have three of them. They run fine full auto out of a 14.5 and 11.5 upper.

They can be a little OAL picky with reloads.

My agency did a T&E on one that we still have in circulation. It stays loaded year-round, and we've had it for two years. It gets very little use. The premise behind it was to have a primary patrol magazine with more rounds since most patrol officers never grab their Go-Bags when they pull out the long guns. Ultimately we decided to shit-can the idea to get a bunch of these and instead mandate that Go-Bags be kept within reach of the rifles (and not buried in the trunk). For the money, I just don't think they're worth it. You can get two PMAGs and a coupler for less than half the price of one 60rd SureFire mag. PMAGs are far more reliable. Our SureFire has been mostly reliable with a few hiccups here and there, but "mostly" just doesn't cut it for duty use.

Last edited:
I use them in my Sig 556 and Sig 556 SBR and never have a problem. I have heard they will malfunction but not mine. Maybe these stories were due to the weapon and not the mag?

I didn't have any issues until running a 10.5" suppressed on full auto. At that point I saw exactly what was posted above...follower just couldn't keep up. I think there is a bunch of tilt in them also. If you use anything but brass cases, you'll experience FTFs often. That said, with the right ammo Ive never had an issue even out of a 10.5 semi auto suppressed.

I'd be surprised if anyone considered these fit for duty use. A 60 rounder loaded up to capacity with 77gr SMKs seemed to be close to the weight of my entire rifle. I might even weigh one tonight just to see how heavy that SOB is. Made for an astronomically slow weapon IMO.

Yeah, the weight on it is atrocious. The mag itself unloaded is pretty hefty, but add the ammo and it gets downright brick-like. The weight balance/distribution is off too. The rifle feels far more off-balance than one with two mags coupled, or with a Redi-Mag attached. It hangs down lower than an AR mag, and it doesn't fit in most AR double-mag pouches. Frankly, I think it was a fleeting fad that is passing. Good intentions, but poor execution.

Mine worked fine until I wanted to use it for more than just sitting at a bench. I tried using this for a local rifle match (this was a couple years ago) and the mag kinda pooped out. Almost as soon as I started running, bumping, jarring, etc., it would have feeding problems.

I have 4 of them that just sit in a box in my storage unit.

Mine worked fine until I wanted to use it for more than just sitting at a bench. I tried using this for a local rifle match (this was a couple years ago) and the mag kinda pooped out. Almost as soon as I started running, bumping, jarring, etc., it would have feeding problems.

I have 4 of them that just sit in a box in my storage unit.

If you have magazines that don't work call Surefire and send them back. They will either fix or replace them. I have been running them since the start and I shoot them often. The one I started testing from the start now has 3,276 documented rounds on multiple different guns both suppressed and unsuppressed. I have had a total of 1 malfunction in that time period. Some of the early versions had issues and if anyone has one and it doesn't work correctly call us get a return merchandise authorization and send it back to be fixed or replaced.

Thanks Chuck! I wish everyone else had the level of customer service that you guys do. Surefire CS is by far tops in the industry.

If you have magazines that don't work call Surefire and send them back. They will either fix or replace them. I have been running them since the start and I shoot them often. The one I started testing from the start now has 3,276 documented rounds on multiple different guns both suppressed and unsuppressed. I have had a total of 1 malfunction in that time period. Some of the early versions had issues and if anyone has one and it doesn't work correctly call us get a return merchandise authorization and send it back to be fixed or replaced.

Good to know. I will refer anyone who brings it up at the shop to call you guys. Do you know what was causing the malfunctions in the early versions?

PM inbound.

I've shown Chuck (through video) what is going on with my mags. He's been more than eager to get this resolved, and for that he definitely gets kudos from me, personally (for whatever it may be worth).

I couldn't ask for better customer service than that!

**update**

SureFire (Chuck) has completely replaced my magazines. He was pretty aggressive about it too, and that's a good thing.

I really hope to get these out to the range in the next couple weeks to see these work their magic!

Thanks Chuck, and a big KUDOS to SureFire!!

I have 2 60 round Surefire mags. I have found they are not trust worthy. They work with ball ammo generally but try 77 grain bullets or longer bullets with a polimer tip and bad things happen or get them even slightly dirty and they become a salt shacker. I use 40 round P mags now with 5 round extensions.
Pat

They are a fun toy to play around with, but not reliable enough for me. Mine bit me in the ass at ironman and superstition mountain. If it is spotless clean it works well, but if some fine dust/dirt gets in it, it shits the bed. I still have and use mine, but I will never carry it in duty. PMAG all the way for that.

If you want more capacity get a Nordic Components 18 round extension and throw it on a PMAG for 48 rounds. That has never failed me.

The Nordic extensions are pretty good but I have had them fail with 77 grain bullets. They got hung up in the are the extension joins the mag. The new 40 round p mats with taren 6 round extenders are the way to go now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone has a SureFire magazine and is having feeding problems please call or email us and allow us to fix or replace them.

I've got 3, 2 of them have run like clockwork. The 3rd has had issues with follower tilt.

Sucks to be in MD, cause with our mag laws/limit - pretty much means I'm S.O.L. for the one that doesn't always act right. I could send it out, but not so sure if I could legally receive it back in MD.

Yes they are unreliable and are range toys.

They have been tested by in numbers by vetted industry pro's and found not suitable for anything serious.

Quad mags are nothing new, and have never been reliable.

Stick to USGI, Lancer or Pmags.

If you want a high quality drum mag, Look at X products. They make them in a bunch of mag patterns.