• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Action?

This may get slightly convoluted and may need a separate thread, as it may be deemed outside the scope of the OP's original post:

In a free floated rifle, which may be an elementary consideration in building a long range rifle system, having a greater contact/surface area/depth relationship between the barrel and action, will simply strengthen the overall rifle. This will translate to a more robust and 'rigid' platform, where barrel harmonics and consistency come into play. If nothing else, having a stronger, more mission capable system will translate to more confidence and sometimes that is all that is needed to take a shooter to the next level. Like my friend the badger says "FTE!"

So much wrong with this...…...don't know where to start. Your assumptions about the relationship between the action/barrel joint and barrel stiffness fwd of that point is tenous at best and unless you show some empirical evidence or at least FEA/beam mechanics analysis it's not believable.

lets see, I've had 4 Accuracy International Rifles (AIAE, AIAW, 2 AX308) 2 KAC SR25 (MK11mod0, EC) multiple GA Precision, so, quite a few actually...I didn't say surgeon was bad, I said it was the only one I have ever had that broke and everything I listed as issues Surgeon has admitted they are in course of rectifying ...but hey I just tell the truth...
Let's see...…………..believe this or believe Mike Rescigno, the maker of TacOps rifles?

Choices, choices.…..

Edit: don't GAF about how many rifles you've had. How many have you made that are in the hands of the most elite police units in the country?

Let's see...…………..believe this or believe Mike Rescigno, the maker of TacOps rifles?

Choices, choices.…..

Edit: don't GAF about how many rifles you've had. How many have you made that are in the hands of the most elite police units in the country?

this is not about mikes credibility, quit being a fanboy, I stated factual observations, and you can not handle it....and this is what a broken fucking extractor looks like after 35 rounds

Attachments

• IMG_9558.jpg
    IMG_9558.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_9559.jpg
    IMG_9559.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 113
You should have gotten the Surgeon with the Remington extractor. Preserves the integrity of the gas seal rings and is far less problematic than any of the "improved" versions.

but a failure is a failure...
I understand that. What you don't seem to understand is that it means absolutely nothing in terms of the quality of a product.

ALL products have had at least one sample fail in the market. Every single one. Even the actions that you own which haven't failed you have failed for someone else.

well data is not available, if it was I would give you a capability analysis, of course we are talking about attribute data so the analysis would be somewhat superficial; a $1300 custom action should not break and deadline in 35 rounds, its fixed now and running great now, but if I wanted broken shit id buy cheap shit.

I Simply Stated:
Only field failure I've had on any rifle in 25 years
comes unfinished
trigger fitment was finicky
there are other options out there, that are lighter and come 100% ready to go

all facts, all true I Get that you like Mike R, and Surgeon but that does not change the facts I stated....I am done

Reactions: morganlamprecht
but a failure is a failure...

I know and have seen a few AI's that have failed. But that anecdotal experience alone doesn't really mean much about AI's reliability.

Surgeon's are good actions, regardless of your one anecdotal experience. Likewise, I think AI's are great actions, irregardless of the fact that I've seen multiple AI's fail.

Every single action brand and model has had a few failures throughout the course of their history. Surgeon's by and large are excellent actions, as are many other actions, that also have anecdotal stories of failure.

Reactions: Aries64
well data is not available, if it was I would give you a capability analysis, of course we are talking about attribute data so the analysis would be somewhat superficial; a $1300 custom action should not break and deadline in 35 rounds, its fixed now and running great now, but if I wanted broken shit id buy cheap shit.

I Simply Stated:
Only field failure I've had on any rifle in 25 years
comes unfinished
trigger fitment was finicky
there are other options out there, that are lighter and come 100% ready to go

all facts, all true I Get that you like Mike R, and Surgeon but that does not change the facts I stated....I am done

Your experience alone doesn't invalidate thousands of other users, which have had excellent experiences with the product.

I get it, your preference is not a Surgeon, and you were bit in the past. But your experience alone does not make it a bad action.

AI's aren't to my preference for numerous reasons, but that doesn't mean those rifles are junk or lesser then any other top quality rifle.

Reactions: Aries64 and BCX
I don’t have a preference, I use what I have, and what works...(‘this is not including my precision ar15s and hunting rifles)...the only thing I prefer is a rifle that goes bang and can shoot 1/2 minute or less.

Kelbly, origin, surgeon, Remingtons, AIs, Sako, Badger, it’s all good, surgeon is the only one to go tits up on a hunt....but that’s all I stated in the first fucking place; but maybe I should lie about that to the op According to the fan boys

Attachments

• B42A96EB-E490-409B-A1E8-7A470761E0F1.jpeg
    B42A96EB-E490-409B-A1E8-7A470761E0F1.jpeg
    543.7 KB · Views: 101
  • CBB038C4-9A83-4B97-B655-A3C7973BE8D1.jpeg
    CBB038C4-9A83-4B97-B655-A3C7973BE8D1.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
This is a perfect example of why the M16 style or the Sako extractors are NOT used in my builds. If you had a Remington style and it failed during your hunt you could keep an extra in your stock pack and just pop one in and you’d be back in the hunt. I hope The Big One didn’t get away...

Mike R.

This is a perfect example of why the M16 style or the Sako extractors are NOT used in my builds. If you had a Remington style and it failed during your hunt you could keep an extra in your stock pack and just pop one in and you’d be back in the hunt. I hope The Big One didn’t get away...

Mike R.
Does this mean you don't use Surgeon actions for magnum cartridges or are you able to get magnum bolts with Remington extractors?

Mike R.
Nailed it.

I’m thinking about a build with a 1581xl and a cadex dual strike chassis.

How does everyone like the 1581xl compared to what’s one the market?
How easy is it to remove the firing pin from the bolt?

things I don’t like is how small the ejection port is.
Also that action could easily accommodated a cheytac sized cartridge if Surgeon wanted too

Last edited:
Anyone know what the max barrel OD is for the 1581XL?

I have a 1.45” barrel but their website mentioned 1.35” being the minimum but doesn’t say if it’s the max OD.

also is it easy to take the firing pin out of the bolt? I can’t find any instructions on that.

Action width is 1.45, 1.45 should work. Just make sure it will work if you go w a chassis. Bolt removal is just like a REM 700!

Action width is 1.45, 1.45 should work. Just make sure it will work if you go w a chassis. Bolt removal is just like a REM 700!

im thinking about the Cadex dual strike chassis which itself can accommodate a 1.8” barrel OD.
The AI chassis I believe is limited to a 1.35” OD.

Just installed my BA in the AI chassis tonight. 1.350 shank is the largest i would go. Hopefully it still shoots, if not going back in the Manners....

Cadex Dual strike is a TANK, i think its around 8lbs?

Forend is shorter on the Dual Strike compared to a AIAX. Primary reason i went that route.

Cadex Dual strike is a TANK, i think its around 8lbs?

close. 7lbs and some change.
The lite strike is around 6lbs but barrel OD is reduced to 1.35”
I have a Cadex Shadow40.

I’m wanting to build a 33XC and I’m considering the 1581xl but it’s a little expensive for what it is. I really want it for its flat base receiver. I could go with a Bat, Pierce, or Stiller action and have a cheytac and a lapua action all in one. Decisions decisions.

Anyone know what the max barrel OD is for the 1581XL?

I have a 1.45” barrel but their website mentioned 1.35” being the minimum but doesn’t say if it’s the max OD.

also is it easy to take the firing pin out of the bolt? I can’t find any instructions on that.

I haven’t personally tried 1.450”, but I think it would be pushing it. The barrel shoulder may go slightly behind the upper most facets on the receiver.

The picture is with a 1.375” shank for reference. Not overly accurate, but placing a .025” feeler gauge on the barrel shank against the receiver is about flush with the upper most receiver facets.

If I had a 1.450” barrel in hand, I’d probably try it. Worse case, if it daylights at the receiver, turning down the shank is simple. If I was ordering a blank, I’d probably spec 1.425” or less if the stock/chassis was a limiting factor.

B6D54812-05A3-47C8-AED3-9C7FFC10E028.jpeg

Reactions: BCX and JB.IC
I haven’t personally tried 1.450”, but I think it would be pushing it. The barrel shoulder may go slightly behind the upper most facets on the receiver.

The picture is with a 1.375” shank for reference. Not overly accurate, but placing a .025” feeler gauge on the barrel shank against the receiver is about flush with the upper most receiver facets.

If I had a 1.450” barrel in hand, I’d probably try it. Worse case, if it daylights at the receiver, turning down the shank is simple. If I was ordering a blank, I’d probably spec 1.425” or less if the stock/chassis was a limiting factor.

View attachment 7524429

awesome. Thanks for the info!

close. 7lbs and some change.
The lite strike is around 6lbs but barrel OD is reduced to 1.35”
I have a Cadex Shadow40.

I’m wanting to build a 33XC and I’m considering the 1581xl but it’s a little expensive for what it is. I really want it for its flat base receiver. I could go with a Bat, Pierce, or Stiller action and have a cheytac and a lapua action all in one. Decisions decisions.
If you have a Cadex Shadow 40 go the 338 Snipetac route. I looked at the 33 XC but I’m so heavily invested into the 338 LM AI can’t justify it now. I’m sure down the road when a repeater can be set up w the XC I may give it a try!

I think people went away from Surgeon due to the new management and how they run business. CS is not like what it used to be (supposedly - never had any dealings with them).

The actions are still great as they always were (as far as I know), but with all the great options these days, people tend to choose the companies that have great CS and support the customers.
Surgeons CS has came around. Every time i call now, i actually speak w someone. Last year it was a shit show but i never gave up LOL. Surgeon was actually nice enough to sell me a AIAX chassis for my XL last week. All other venders had no stock.

Reactions: kthomas
If you have a Cadex Shadow 40 go the 338 Snipetac route. I looked at the 33 XC but I’m so heavily invested into the 338 LM AI can’t justify it now. I’m sure down the road when a repeater can be set up w the XC I may give it a try!

need a lapua sized cartridge for the new ELR light weight class rule. So 33XC it is. I’m thinking about giving the AI AX chassis a try since I have two Cadex chassis in other action sizes.

Im at 22.5 lbs w my set up.

Im at 22.5 lbs w my set up.

thats good to hear. What’s the details of your setup? I know I won’t be flutting my barrels. But I’d like to get it to 24-25lbs with everything

Surgeon XL repeater, AIAX chassis, TT Diamond Flat shoe, Bughole bag rider, TT 5-25 w Eratac adjustable, Terminator T-4, Bartlein 1-9 twist 1.350" x 5" straight taper to 1.125" @ 30" fluted, Altas 5H bipod. Have a spare barrel w same contour 1-9 - 1-8 waiting if i decided to go 33 XC w solids.

Reactions: JB.IC