• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surplus 175 FMJ

Buckoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2008
Hatfield, Pa
Has anyone used any surpluse .308 175 FMJ BT? If so how consistent/in-consistent and accurate is it? Worth pickin up or stick with A-max or SMK. I'll mostly be under 600 but want to take to 1000

thanks,

Re: Surplus 175 FMJ

It's not a match bullet, but for cheap practice or shooting rocks it's fine. Some of the accuracy tests I've read about from various guys who did buy them say they're good for MOA in rifles that are normally 1/2-3/4 MOA rifles.

I shoot surplus 150 FMJ's from my 30-06 for "plinking" rounds, they will hit a 12" steel plate at 600 without much issue at all.

The 175 LC FMJBT (nominally 173-175.5gr) bullet was originally made for machine guns, to extend their effective range. They were found to be suitible for small arms, amd accurate at longer distances than the standard 150gr ball rounds. They became the basis of the M72 match load, and were later adapted to M118 loading. Soemwhere over the final decade of their production, the equipment employed by the arsenal in their manufacture fell into increasing disrepair, proper refurbishment became prohibitive, and it was determined that a commercial substitute was needed. Experience with the Sierra 168 suggested Sierra be approached to devise a substitute and the 175SMK resulted. IMI/Isreali ammunition uses a 175gr bullet of their manufacture, which is superior to the LC 173-175.5gr Match FMJBT.

Greg

dang Gred 17700 posts, is that a record? Thanks for the info. If I read between the lines you'rs saying the bulk 175's aren't accurate enough for what I'm after? I mean machine gun heads are just to throw lead right? You've got some serious niche on info, brother. Please advise, and thanks

No, the 'good ones' were definitely accurate enough, but they have disappeared from the market by and large. What's left is the later stuff, which can be less consistent (or not, if there's a date, look for pre 1970, and that date's just a SWAG on my part). I think that unless you're shooting beyond 500yd, or in a hypercritical match situation, the LC 175's are adequate at the very least.

As for the post count, it's just a product of longevity; I've been here since the beginning.

Greg