• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Survivorman ???

knockemdown

suburban redneck
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
Is Les Shroud the "real deal" on Survivorman?
What sayeth the Hide?

Entertainment is always staged, on today's Reality TV...I take it all with a grain of salt.
"Survivorman" is ....kind of like the Pro Bowl.... it's ok , for a production based on the real thing, (Not the real deal)
Mind over matter...". If you don't mind it don't matter."

I'm sure there are some aspects of the show that are staged, just like anything else but Survivorman seems more practical and much easier to watch then anything that has Bear Grylls in it.

I tend to think Survivor Man is the real deal. We already know Bear Grylls is fake and he only came out of the closet after being busted so it's possible that Les Shroud is fake but of all the "reality" TV shows out there I'm giving Les Shroud the most credit as it really does appear to be the most legit.

Typical reality bs I remember an episode where he was at a DEW line station( Distant Early Warning Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) in the Canadian arctic. So he finds a car battery lying on the ground and uses it to create a spark to light a fire.

I have to confess I've never watched more than 10 minutes of a couple episodes. Kind of reminds me of another survival type show from a couple years back.... Gilligan's Island. At least that one has some fluffy type actresses in it.

Wasn't there some controversy with Dual Survival? One of the guys on it was claiming to be a recondeltarangersealteamsixsniper and it was found out that he wasn't exactly forth coming with his resume.

Thats why these shows need to be taken with a grain of salt. If I want to learn about survival, there's a guy around here who knows it all. About everything. He's even got the 24k posts to prove it.

Thanks for the responses, I basically agree with the concensus above. Have always surmised that Les Shroud was the most "believable" character, and Survivorman was the most tolerable of this type of show to actually sit & watch.

However, a friend in Utah passed along the following web link, titled: Analysis
Apparently, an avid group of Utah backpackers sought out to seek out and chart the 'survival' adventure Les Shroud took in the wilds of Utah's canyonlands. The 'Analysis' link provides supportng photographs from the actual sites at which the show was filmed. Apparently, one camp location was quoted on the show as being 3 days from any road and without water proved to be little more than 100yds from a HIGHWAY! A highway where any number of gallons of cold liquids could be stored in a Yeti cooler, LOL. The rest of the trek is equally fraught with inconsistencies...

Just wanted to pass the above link along. The analysis is remarkably well mapped out, and the supporting photgraphic evidence is rock solid. Don't know the guys who took the time to do all the work, but they sure did a fantastic job in finding these locations and putting the puzzle together, years after the show was filmed!

Draw you own conclusions, but from the data collected in the link, it appears that 'Survivorman' is as big a joke as the other pee drinkin' phony...

Here's the link again
Analysis

Is Les Shroud the "real deal" on Survivorman?
What sayeth the Hide?

Les Stroud, is the real deal. Nothing is quite staged on his shows however he does start each episode with a set of different things to use during the show, which ranges from just about nothing to a car to strip for items of use. He does all his own filming which he mentions quite often means that when he takes a shot of himself walking away from the camera, guess what??? he then has to turn around and go fetch his camera. Midway through season 3 he had to call it quits because it was taking too much of a toll on his body, but just recently he came back with some episodes. He never tries to BS anything, if he does not know something he fesses up, and he does not always succeed at everything. He has had close calls with hypothermia and heat exhaustion, and also a jaguar. So to sum it up he is THE REAL DEAL, and yes obviously I am a fan of the show.

I've always liked Survivor Man. He did one show where he demonstrated his filming techniques. He is by himself and showed how he did a long shot of him walking a long way down a snow covered hill. He has to set the camera, walk down the hill for the shot, then return and get the camera and make the same trek.
As others have said, some of his equipment is provided at the beginning. Such as an abandoned vehicle, snowmobile or raft.
From then on, he is by himself with nothing but an emergency transponder. He doesn't go back to the hotel at the end of the day.
He has only been extracted one time, when there was a jaguar stalking him at night in some Central American country.

Although, I did have a problem with his most recent show where he found a canoe. Kind of strange.

I think you guys might want to read through the provided link.

Photos prove that Les' "Camp 1" in the Utah episode was about 100yds off a highway, lol! yet, Les claimed in the show that he was airlifted there by helicopter, because the location was "remote"...
Later, he mentioned that the 'crew' would have to fly back in there (with the helicopter, remote location & all) and clean up his camp, lol. Why fly, if "Camp 1" was proven to be barely 300 FEET from a major highway?

That is just one hole in the storyline behind that show. Check out the link and supporting photos...

I thought the Jaguar episode was less an extraction and more a run for the nearest village?

One thing about Les is he does things that make sense to me. Like he isn't just running across the hills, climbing up or down cliff faces, eating raw stuff, or getting naked to cross frozen rivers. I see that stuff and think "that dude is crazy, why would you risk injury/sickness?" Les eats bugs, at least he cooks them first.

In the end all those shows are interesting in the way that you ask yourself what you would do in similar situations. How would I get water or shelter?

I thought the Jaguar episode was less an extraction and more a run for the nearest village?

One thing about Les is he does things that make sense to me. Like he isn't just running across the hills, climbing up or down cliff faces, eating raw stuff, or getting naked to cross frozen rivers. I see that stuff and think "that dude is crazy, why would you risk injury/sickness?" Les eats bugs, at least he cooks them first.

In the end all those shows are interesting in the way that you ask yourself what you would do in similar situations. How would I get water or shelter?

You are correct about the jaguar episode, he ran for it to the nearest village, however he was extracted once up in the canadian artic I think it was , because his path back was getting cut off by melting ice, so the crew came in and pulled him out.