• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 1-6X24HD Pics

Re: SWFA SS 1-6X24HD Pics

I can't wait. I wonder how the group buy is going to go down....

This scope is an incredible package. I can't wait to get my hands on one for a review.

I ordered mine
smile.gif
... What butler creek caps and ss throw lever will work with this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does everyone just expect there to be a group buy on this or have they announced they are doing one?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We are contemplating a group buy to start April 15th but have not worked out the details in regards to what products will be offered.
</div></div>

Another keeping fingers crossed for a group buy.

So, are they available of is it just pre-orders? Has anyone been successful in ordering one?

Not available yet, I would hold off for group buy, expect group buy info in the next 30-60 days. Worth the wait.

Like the looks of this. One question, how low of an adjustment does the illumination have i.e How Dim? NV safe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the looks of this. One question, how low of an adjustment does the illumination have i.e How Dim? NV safe?</div></div>

would like to know this too

From what I can see is that there will be capped and uncapped versions ???

Aron-

I believe they come capped and you can order thread protectors if you will be running them uncapped.

One versions that includes both caps and thread protectors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SSHD16x24D-3.jpg
</div></div>

This is my coyote gun scope, right here.

I currently have the SS 1-4x which is awesome for the task here in the east. I'll bet the extra 2x will be quite nice when I'm out west this fall.

Is the magnification level the only difference between the 1-4 and the 1-6?

Ive never used or seen a SWFA scope in person. Can anyone that has one or used one comment on their Glass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't wait. I wonder how the group buy is going to go down....</div></div>

That's already in the works!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronson90</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't wait. I wonder how the group buy is going to go down....</div></div>

That's already in the works!!!
</div></div>

Any details you care to share????
grin.gif

I'm sold. I'd love to demo one this year on the 3-Gun circuit! That said, I'm selling all my other 3-Gun scopes except the one that I'm going to use at the Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun next week (gotta have one after all until these hit the street).

Anxiously waiting!!!!

Rich

<span style="font-weight: bold">ETA: I would REALLY like to know how bright this is in bright sunny conditions as this above everything else is a selling point that most low power variable manufacturers completely neglect or discount in importance.</span>

Pretty excited about this scope as well as hopefully a group buy. However, I am wondering if anyone can comment on the Elcan SpecterDR in comparison (I know this particular 1-6X is not quite out yet but assuming it will be more or less equivalent to the 1-4X with a bit higher magnification).

Durability is one major concern I have. I read about a fellow on another forum about how dropped his SWFA SS 1-4 just a small distance to a hard surface and it survived but had some considerable cosmetic damage. From what I understand the SpecterDR's are built like tanks (and have a corresponding weight as well). Of course I would never plan on dropping a scope or worse yet dropping the rifle with scope hitting first, but sh%* obviously happens, especially under training or other difficult situations.

Has anyone used both the SWFA SS 1-4x and the Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x (or 1-6X)? Please comment on speed of acquisition, use of the Specter as a reflex, field of view, glass quality, brightness of illumination, etc.

It seems like the Specter combines red dot, intermediate range capability, BDC and it is built like a tank. I know this optic gets a ton of praise but it is very pricey as well.

I had a Specter DR, I have used the 1-4SS.

The Elcan is useless w/o illumn on 1x. The SS was fine in daylight with out it. The Elcan is heavier then my 2.5-10x24NF w/ mount & MRD. The Elcan is a heavy, expensive beast.

The Elcan feels a little more like a red dot at 1x, and felt more forgivable for head placement, however I would rather have a 1-4SS over an Elcan any day.

^Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Elcan feels a little more like a red dot at 1x, and felt more forgivable for head placement, however I would rather have a 1-4SS over an Elcan any day. </div></div>

I love my existing cheap red dot (SPARC) and believe this you have mentioned about the SpecterDR would make me like it quite a lot. I'm guessing you prefer the SS 1-4X more for its 4X over Specter. Can you expand on that. Do you not find the BDC useful in the Specter?

Do you feel the weight of the Elcan doesn't pay off in making it have a ruggedness similar to an ACOG?

If you can get a Elcan Specter DR for $1600, then it may be a great choice. If you are paying $2000+, I would say you are a fool.

Well, let me by silly about this for a moment:

The Elcan is a damned heavy optic:
DSCI0224.JPG

This whole setup is LIGHTER and CHEAPER then an Elcan Specter DR. Have a Red dot, and 2.5-10x.

2011-01-21%252019.10.35.jpg

This is also LIGHTER & CHEAPER then a Elcan Specter DR.

Now if you are running an Eotech & Eotech Magnifier, then the Elcan might be a lighter solution, because the Eotech & L3 Mag is a horrible solution.

Now don't get me wrong, but Elcan is a damned cool optic. However it is far from ideal for most folks. I think the main desire that many want it for is just because the Seals are using it. Those people forget, or don't know that the SOCOM stopped buying the Elcan, and that the big army is looking for a different solution then the Elcan.

But back to the topic this thread is about.

The SS is lighter then the Elcan, it is cheaper then the Elcan. 1x will work with out illumination on the Elcan. You won't be stuck with ARMS mounts on the SS*. The SS won't have a point of impact shift when you move from 1 to 4 (or 1-6) power. You can also use the intermediate powers on the SS.

Personally I don't feel that the Elcan is as rugged as the ACOG, but that might just be me. I don't trust the Elcan external adjustments as it uses a weak spring that I have observed to not pull the optic to the same position each time. (Not sure if I worded that right)

*I have had issues with ARMS mounts. I was told my uppers were out of spec. So I guess my Armalite/Bushmaster/BCM/Colt/CMMG/LMT/Spikes/White Oak uppers are all out of spec. :-(

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">ETA: I would REALLY like to know how bright this is in bright sunny conditions as this above everything else is a selling point that most low power variable manufacturers completely neglect or discount in importance.</span>
</div></div>

THIS X10000000

AZ sun is brutal when it comes to drowning out lighted reticles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive never used or seen a SWFA scope in person. Can anyone that has one or used one comment on their Glass? </div></div>

Outstanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobH.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

THIS X10000000

AZ sun is brutal when it comes to drowning out lighted reticles. </div></div>

So you guys use illumination in bright sunlight? I see people post a lot about "daylight visible" but never asked if people use it. I have a Tac30 and its reticle is daylight visible but I have never needed it during daylight. I might have to give it a try sometime and see what it's all about.

I have had the chance to try the 1-4SS and the illumination was visible in the Florida sunshine. Brightness did have to be near max, but that also applies to Aimpoints & Eotechs in our nice daylight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobH.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

THIS X10000000

AZ sun is brutal when it comes to drowning out lighted reticles. </div></div>

So you guys use illumination in bright sunlight? I see people post a lot about "daylight visible" but never asked if people use it. I have a Tac30 and its reticle is daylight visible but I have never needed it during daylight. I might have to give it a try sometime and see what it's all about. </div></div>

Yes sir. The point is that with the dot on (and visible even in bright daylight) you can use both eyes and bring the reticle in to your FOV instead of actively "aiming". Some call it BAC, but I'll say that it was used well before anyone put a name to it. Having a nice bright red dot or circle or circle + a cross, makes for faster target acquisition and shot execution in CQ as well as shots out to say 75-100. It's the same as having an Aimpoint (M68) or EOTech on a carbine/rifle. The point is to have a 1x (or low power magnification) red "dot" to hit targets with. This is not as important at say 6x when you're likely hitting targets at >300 and want less visual obstruction from 'flares' from illuminated reticle edges.

This one feature (daytime illuminated) is why the Swaro Z6i and S&B short dots are still super popular and folks are willing to pay the $$$. Because it can be used as a CQ optic as well as a medium/long range scope.

Rich

This looks like the optic I'm looking for to replace the 1-4X I've got on my 5.56 AR now.

I like the reticle in the current scope, but I love the reticle in this one.

I HATE the lack of illumination in bright sunlight in my current scope, and PRAY that this scope's illumination in sunlight is as advertised. (Frankly, I'm flabbergasted that ANY decent scope manufacturer would DARE put out a '1 to whatever' optic (clearly intended for the CQB role) that doesn't have a 'BRIGHT!' setting.

Will wait for group buy pricing.

As others have said the low power variable market is really heating up here. Will be very interesting to see if SWFA can stay on top. It would be immensely valuable if someone could pull off a similar comparison to the 1-4x one by hide member hookie. Contenders here would be among some of the new/upcoming 1-6x/1-8x options:

-SWFA SS 1-6x
-Leupold Mark 6 1-6x
-Swarovski Z6i 1-6x
-Bushnell Elite Tactical CQB 1-6.5x
-Schmidt and Bender PMII Short Dot 1-8x ?
-US Optics SN-8? 1-8x (true, built in, optional reflex sight?)
-??

Of course I realize it probably could not be until summer at the earliest when all competitors will be available.

I don't think they'll have any problems keeping up. In that price range, the only thing close is the Bushnell and it doesn't have turrets that are well suited to running them exposed (zero reset will bite you).

It's really the only option in that price range if you want an FFP scope with true 1x, turrets that can be run uncapped and more than 4x magnification. All of the other scopes with those features cost twice as much, or more.

I hear you uscbigdawg, that makes good sense. I'm usually hunting with my 1-4x in low light and have the illumination on and it does make for better quick shots with both eyes open. I really have just never tried it set on bright in bright sunlight.

Looks good, there are a lot of good optics hitting the market in April! Weeeeee! There goes my wallet
wink.gif

Where should we look for a Group Buy announcement? This thread or somewhere else?

Also, my plan is to use one on my SCAR 17s and another on my RFB. How do SS 1-4s hold up to 7.62x51? Any issues there? The SCAR, in particular, has a reputation of being hard on scopes.

Just FYI, the Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x is not a contender. The reticle is nowhere near bright enough for daytime use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vereor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just FYI, the Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x is not a contender. The reticle is nowhere near bright enough for daytime use. </div></div>

Is that from personal experience in bright daytime conditions or from a review? Either way it is pretty damning. Thanks for sharing.

As per the SWFA sales manager "late spring to early summer". Sounds like July if you do not want to be too optimistic and then disappointed. This is for basic availability, not necessarily a group buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swamp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As per the SWFA sales manager "late spring to early summer". Sounds like July if you do not want to be too optimistic and then disappointed. This is for basic availability, not necessarily a group buy. </div></div>

If they do group buy in April does that mean they will be shipped for the group buyers at that time I wonder.......

^ I have no idea.

It would probably be insightful to look back at the schedule for the SS 1-4X in terms of the timing of the announcements for beta testing sample availability, group buy announcement, shipping on group buy and finally general availability. Things will probably play out roughly along the same schedule. Any of the 1-4x old group buy folks recall the timelines for that product?

First orders of the SS 1-4x arrived at SWFA and also in customers hands in mid Feb 2011. However, I am not sure if those first shipments were group buy packages or not. Either way mostly irrelevant since the schedule for new scopes this year is clearly not the same at SWFA as it was for them last year.

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-ss-hd-14x24-scopes-finally-available_topic27632.html

Is it kosher to post links to other forums here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swamp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First orders of the SS 1-4x arrived at SWFA and also in customers hands in mid Feb 2011. However, I am not sure if those first shipments were group buy packages or not. Either way mostly irrelevant since the schedule for new scopes this year is clearly not the same at SWFA as it was for them last year.

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-ss-hd-14x24-scopes-finally-available_topic27632.html

Is it kosher to post links to other forums here? </div></div>

I was in on the initial orders of the SS 1-4x and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a group buy.

There was a group buy for the SS 5-20x initially, which I was also in on.

Man am I glad I found this thread. And John A thank you for the review!

I just found this scope on SWFA the other day, while looking for an optic I could use on my AR 15, in the brush, but also stretch out a little. I have the SS 5-20X HD on my bolt gun and can't say enough good things about it. I could see bullet holes at 300 yards two weeks ago while doing load development for my new .260 barrel. I'm sure this 1-6X will be just a high quality optic as the 5-20X. I'm going to have to get one.

up for a group buy. let's have one, please...

Group buy, group buy, group buy.

I don't need a mount but a scope, cat tail, lens cap combo would be nice.

I want and will get in on a group buy as soon as it is available. However, if you refer to my post above with direct contact with the SWFA Sales Manager he said likely availability is late spring to early summer. Thus, realistically I would guess we won't be getting these until the beginning of July.

Hi All, FNG here new to this forum. Can anyone tell me how the group buy thing works please? Aside from being new to the forum I've not done anything like that before and am not sure how it works.

Is there a general announcement on the snipers hide forum or would you need to look elsewhere as well? Can anyone get in and if so what do you need to do? What kind of discount could you reasonably expect on an item such as this one selling for 1k? Any insight on these questions is greatly appreciated.

I loved the review and am very interested in buying this scope as well. Thanks in advance for any reply's.