• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 10x42 or Something Else

commandernavi

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2012
Texas
Hi all,

So I have been doing a lot of research over the past few months on upgrading a rifle scope and essentially have (almost) come to the conclusion that I should get an SWFA SS 10x42 for my new Remington 700 SPS Tactical.

I was deciding between this one and a Vortex HS that Midway sells in seasonal runs for 500, but have gotten a lot more advice in favor of this one. I haven't asked here, however, so was wondering what you guys think regarding this scope. Should I just get it for 300 dollars or get something else like a Falcon Menace or something? I was hoping to spend about 500 or less. I heard I can't really go wrong with this scope.

Additionally, could you guys recommend a good set of rings and a rail at a reasonable price for mounting it please? All the recommendations I received on these were very expensive and I don't know how much added performance I would get out of them.

Thank you very much!

I started with the SWFA SS 10x and still have it as a backup scope. It is very solid and got me through my first precision rifle course with targets out to 800 yds with no issues at all.

I also have a SS 3-9 which I managed to score used for a great price. You might see if you can find one of those in the $400 range. There isn't much practical difference between 9x and 10x.

Good to hear! Is there any reason you would recommend the variable over the fixed power? Also do you have any good recommendations for rings or mount?

I have the ss 10x with side focus
great scope for the money. but for me if I am wanting to do load testing the crosshair is a little to thick for shooting tight groups, but it works great for hunting

I have SS 12x42 with Milquad reticle. I use it for load developement or precision at the range. It has done very good for me there.
Reticle is nice and thin for precision. I expect I'll be using this scope for a long long time, and glad to do so.

I've got a 12x SS mounted to one of my rifles. Field of view is only .7m smaller than the 10x (advertised) so I went with it instead. I'm really liking the mil-quad reticle.

Good to hear! Is there any reason you would recommend the variable over the fixed power? Also do you have any good recommendations for rings or mount?

I don't personally have any rifles that are "range only". I've taken all my rifles hunting and the fixed 10x is a bit limiting in that regard. I keep my scopes mostly dialed to minimum until I'm on target and adjust up from there based on time and conditions.

For rings, I've used Badger Ordnance from day 1 and have 0 complaints.

I have the 10x SWFA. I use it in the AR 10/15 platform. Use the LaRue Tac mount for using on different rifles. I do like the paralex adjustment feature and on the AR 10 it is good to go on the IPSC steel at 1 K. For precision shooting and finding bullet holes at 100 to 400 I need to use a spotting scope, that is the case for just about any 10X scope even my SB 10x40. The one I have is not the HD version.
-Dan

I love the SWFA 12x scopes for long range target shooting. The jump from 10x to 12x goes a long way in helping see fine detail at longer ranges in my opinion. -And the 12x reticle doesn't seem as tight and crowded as the 10x mil-quad. I would only stay with the 10x (or go to the 3-9) if I was hunting and need a larger FOV. If the gun is a dedicated target shooter and will be shot prone of from a solid rest most of the time, think about the 12x. I think the swfa line is the best bang for your buck out there in the $500 and less category.Its generally agreed that TPS rings are a great way to go on a budget.

Last edited:
I have a couple 12x and a 10x and very pleased with all of them. I've also had great success out of Burris Extreme rings, as well as EGW bases.

Thanks guys! I am just a bit concerned about going above 10x just in case I do decide to ever use it for hunting. I heard that anything above 10 is simply too much for most practical applications except extreme long range. What are your thoughts on this?

How does the glass on the 10x compare with HD glass on other models for triple the price? When does the difference become noticeable?

Also, what about Seekins? Does anyone have any experience with them?

Lastly, is there any honest place you could recommend I look to save even more money when I purchase (e.g. buying a used SS from a resell site)? It's not really a problem, but it would be nice to put a few extra $$ toward ammo and get the same exact gear for less. :)

I wouldn't hunt with a fixed 10x if I thought I could encounter an animal (maybe running) at closer than 50 yards. But, I would feel pretty good about a mini red dot mounted offset on my 10x scope. It's pretty easy to quickly snap the rifle canted sideways and shoot up close to 50 yards. Great compromise to me. The Burris fast fire III looks really cool for a little over $200, same with the Docter. Again, thats the only way I personally would feel comfortable hunting (at least out west) with a fixed 10x and above. Fixed 6x would be my limit, imo.

100_0540.jpg
not my image

The SS fixed power scopes have a long history of working and working damn well.
Some are not fond on the light transmission. I don't know if the newer models are improved in that regard or not.

For 300 dollars (when on sale), you are NOT going to beat the weaver grandslam tactical.
The glass is very good and it is a variable.
Very important for a field rifle. My Dad has two now. VERY nice scopes.

I will admit, the parallax adjustment on the SS is a very nice feature.

The great news is, you can't go wrong with either one.

I have a Falcon 4-14x with the EMD reticle. Nothing but pleased with it's performance also.
I would also suggest you take a look at the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 with the mil-dot reticle. Comes in around your 300 dollar mark and they are dandy little scopes with an excellent warranty.

Thanks! Could you by any chance find a link to the Weaver scope you described so I can check it out? I found some on MidWay but don't really know what kind you recommend.

i use the 20x on rem vs 308 and fine, was looking at 6-24 type but always have on max any was so a straight 20 is fine, out to 1000m easy. yes they are no S&B but track just fine.

have wanted to try one of the SWFA 12x for a while---had my head set on the 10X HD, but like the idea of the 12X and a Fastfire red dot

have wanted to try one of the SWFA 12x for a while---had my head set on the 10X HD, but like the idea of the 12X and a Fastfire red dot

Same here, I think that would be an awesome combo. The Burris Fastfire III's are out now, and also the Docter II plus's are on closeout around the web.

Arg. Still so hard to pick. I think since I am not totally sure what I will be using the rifle for and it is my first gun, I will just go with the 10x since it is what the guy from this video series (link below) seems to recommend and I think it is a solid first choice that I have had my sights set for a while. It is a compromise for sure and I am a bit hesitant about the mil-quad, but I don't think (I may be totally wrong and you can laugh at me later for not taking your advice) that the difference would be great enough to warrant the slightly smaller fov and less light transmittance. Also, if I choose to ever upgrade, I will be more able to put it on an AR15 without having too much mag. Also, after talking to some people, I am a bit wary of the variable optics in this price range. Any other thoughts?

I also think I will get these rings and mount:

TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings

Talley 1 Piece Base

REVIEW - SWFA Super Sniper 10X - SNIPER 101 - YouTube

Thank you so much for input!