Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 6x vs. Weaver GS 3-10x vs. Leupold Mark AR mod1 3-9x.... For 22lr trainer

Crosshair

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Kenai AK
Hey fellas, just wondering what you all think about the sub $350 mil/mil scope options for my Rem AAC-SD 22. I'm leaning towards the SS 6x due to the supposed 140+ moa of internal adjustment and 10 mils worth of holdover in the reticle. I prefer variable scopes, but the fixed 6x seems about perfect for the 22lr.... I ommited the Bushnell 10x; thinking to much magnification potentially. Do you think the Weaver or Leupold would be a better buy for the versatility?

Tried to make this thread a Poll, didn't get it done in time.

Last edited:

SomeOtherGuy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2012
UP Michigan
I own two of those, the 6x SS and the Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 (Midway mil/mil version). Both are very good values.

SS Pros:
ruggedness
adjustable focus down to 10m
very good turrets

Cons:
fixed power
big (long and diameter)

Grand Slam Pros:
Optical clarity (for the price)
zoom
small size/weight

Cons:
sloppy turrets
fixed focus/parallax

I'm actually putting the SS 6x on a .22 rimfire trainer shortly. I think it's a great fit for that use. I think the GS is a great budget mildot for a centerfire.

eclipse57

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2010
Grapevine, Tx.
I have the Weaver on my Savage 22 and it is a good scope for the money. Admittedly I have not shot it past 200 yards.

At my age and my eyes, I feel like a scope with side focus would suit my needs better. I will probably seek out one of the Vortex/Midway USA exclusive 5-15X scopes for the Savage 22. I have one on my Savage 10FP and like the idea of matching scopes for my trainer and my centerfire.

BCP

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
  • Dec 4, 2008
    CA
    Hey fellas, just wondering what you all think about the sub $350 mil/mil scope options for my Rem AAC-SD 22. I'm leaning towards the SS 6x due to the supposed 140+ moa of internal adjustment and 10 mils worth of holdover in the reticle. I prefer variable scopes, but the fixed 6x seems about perfect for the 22lr.... I ommited the Bushnell 10x; thinking to much magnification potentially. Do you think the Weaver or Leupold would be a better buy for the versatility?

Tried to make this thread a Poll, didn't get it done in time.

SWFA 6x or 10x mil mil, I may have a 10x mil mil for sale if you're interested. Both of them have around 36mils total adjustment.

Crosshair

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Feb 27, 2013
    Kenai AK
    Thanks for the input guys, I'm leaning towards the SS, but now am considering the 10x aswell. Do you think it is too much scope for a 22? I might occasionally take a shot at a grouse at say, 10 yards... It looks like they can focus that close but I wonder if field of view would suffer too much. I'm sure Id like it when trying to stretch it out towards 400 yards for fun. Hmm... Maybe I should just man up and get the ss 3-9.

SomeOtherGuy

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Feb 29, 2012
    UP Michigan
    The 3-9x SS is a great scope too. No focus/parallax but you don't really need it if you're OK using lower magnification at closer distances. I think a fixed 10x would be too much to attempt taking a shot at game at 10 yards.

fireEMT5

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Nov 3, 2010
    S.E. Minnesota, USA
    No question the SS 3-9 is a great scope. I won't be parting with mine. You'll have to up your budget to get one or wait for the SS3-15 to start shipping and you may see some SS 3-9's for sale on here or the sample list.