• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

Re: SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomstick308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are other FFP reticles normally thicker than this one? seems like people are always saying that FFP is not going to be good for target shooting since its too thick. But at .05 mil its only covering .18 inches at 100 yds... that doesnt seem unreasonable to me. </div></div>
Quite a few are thicker. Some are thinner. I feel this thickness is a pretty good compromise that fits the power range of the scope very well. While some like the looks of thinner reticles better, you're right--it's hard to think of anything in which the thickness of this reticle would cause any real problems.

I was excited about other optics, but nearly wet my pants when I saw this. The SS line is truly impressive. Thanks JonA and Lowlight for taking time to post thoughts, pics and videos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but nearly wet my pants when I saw this.</div></div>

Well, I won't say that I nearly wet my pants... but my brakes were smoking when I stopped going in another direction!!

DK

Thanks for your time with this Jon. Your insight to this glass is greatly appreciated!!

DK

Thanks Jon A for all the info and pics on this thing. Enought for me such that I've placed my order (and cancelled my PST 6-24x50 FFP mil/mil that I ordered in April 2010).

Much appreciated!

hello

so if i whant to place the order for one ss5-20 scope, and i click on like in facebook,

so which is the discount code??

hide500 is the code ??? or i need to do something else,

so please i need help

thanks in advice

gus

Hey, anyone know if SWFA STILL has enough in the shipment to cover ALL orders to XX May 2011??? Like to today?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, anyone know if SWFA STILL has enough in the shipment to cover ALL orders to XX May 2011??? Like to today? </div></div>

I bet SWFA knows...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fan300mag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">realy thanks is done

i new scope ss5-20 will come to mexico,

realy thanks

gus </div></div>

Call the ATF, they'll hook you up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: super-tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fan300mag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">realy thanks is done

i new scope ss5-20 will come to mexico,

realy thanks

gus </div></div>

Call the ATF, they'll hook you up. </div></div>

SO SO mean hahahahahaha !!!! Good one!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OT I know, but Jon, I'm digging in your rings bro. </div></div>
Thanks, man.

In case anybody hadn't noticed, all the pics at the beginning of the thread are back up. Here are a couple more on a hunting rifle you may like:

PICT0419.JPG

PICT0422.JPG

Bambie can't get far enough away.....

Jon, will the scope produce a reasonably parallax-free and in focus image down at 25 yards on lower magnifications? I'm thinking of putting one of these on my .22, hence the reason for asking about close range focus/parallax issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, you won't have a problem doing that on the lower powers. </div></div>

Thanks Jon, that made up my mind. Looks like my .22 gets a scope upgrade too. Is it wrong to have 6 of these things on order?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, you won't have a problem doing that on the lower powers. </div></div>

Thanks Jon, that made up my mind. Looks like my .22 gets a scope upgrade too. Is it wrong to have 6 of these things on order?
grin.gif

</div></div>

Holy crap!!! Will you adopt me?!! ;-)

Spent 4 hours this morning with the SWFA SS-HD and did a test using the FFS calibrate scope tool.

The process:

1. First mount the 48" level along the target board.
2. Measure from the target to the center of the scope 100 yards exactly <span style="font-style: italic">(used a 100m tape measure)</span>
3. Bag the scope and rifle in so it's secure.
4. Starting with the reticle at the tope of the level click to the bottom
4. Count the clicks, with the SSHD = 133
5. Input variables to the program and hit compute.

ANSWER

SH_FLG_SSHDFFS.jpg

I also tested it shooting it at various mils adjustments using the turrets and reticle together and it was dead on.

That is pretty slick.

What would it display in the Actual Turret Click Value window if it was 132 or 135 clicks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is pretty slick.

What would it display in the Actual Turret Click Value window if it was 132 or 135 clicks?

</div></div>

"Return to Sender"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is pretty slick.

</div></div>

"Return to Sender" </div></div>

heh heh

Thanks Frank. Carrying it out to the thousandth is pretty precise.

Does anyone know if I will have any clearance issues with leupold high rings on a Remington 700 with factory bolt handle? My concern is with the bolt handle hitting the ocular. I know it's an easy fix, but if I have to order new rings, I will go ahead and do it.

You should be ok. I would read the how to chose the rings thread at the top of the scope section.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomstick308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are other FFP reticles normally thicker than this one? seems like people are always saying that FFP is not going to be good for target shooting since its too thick. But at .05 mil its only covering .18 inches at 100 yds... that doesnt seem unreasonable to me. </div></div>

I believe that .05 mil would cover 1.8 inches at 1000 yeards.

Still not a big deal, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the scope is going to have illumination, I think I would rather have the control on the parallax knob vs. on the objective as long as it doesn't make the combined knob too long. It just seems less obtrusive/cleaner lines. The updated photo with the super chicken knob hopefully is an accessory and not the final configuration. </div></div>

I got one on order, but if it comes in with that super chicken on it, out comes the Krylon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't hate the "bird head" as my son calls it. I'm getting it tattoo'd across my chest. </div></div>

You wouldn't be the first! Well maybe on the chest you would.

entry000000000404_e.jpg

Ok, So being a total noob I have to bite on this.
I looked at the web site, but could not find any explanation of why SWFA has the "Super Chicken", "Bird Head" or "Rabid Chicken" as their logo - So come on guys, what's the reason?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oakfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, So being a total noob I have to bite on this.
I looked at the web site, but could not find any explanation of why SWFA has the "Super Chicken", "Bird Head" or "Rabid Chicken" as their logo - So come on guys, what's the reason? </div></div>It has its roots:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper%27s_Badge
150px-Scharfschabz.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oakfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, So being a total noob I have to bite on this.
I looked at the web site, but could not find any explanation of why SWFA has the "Super Chicken", "Bird Head" or "Rabid Chicken" as their logo - So come on guys, what's the reason? </div></div>It has its roots:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper%27s_Badge
150px-Scharfschabz.jpg
</div></div>

I did not know that. I respect it more now...

Am I the only one that thinks that its fucked up that a German sniper patch from WWII is on this scope? I know my grandfathers wouldn't appreciate it. Confirmed kills...really, I hope that it wasn't anyones grandfather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one that thinks that its fucked up that a German sniper patch from WWII is on this scope? I know my grandfathers wouldn't appreciate it.</div></div>

Who cares? The Allies won WWII pretty decisively, last time I checked.

Just like bible verses on ACOGs, any outrage over this will be something being made out of absolutely nothing.