• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Switching AR to left handed...Questions!

Drew_1312

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2009
Rochester, Indiana
Hey everyone...

Just to give everyone an idea of what I'm wanting to accomplish, here's what's going on. I've got an 11.5" AR and I just picked up my suppressor last week. We also had firearms training last week so I was able to get some good trigger time in with my suppressor. I'm using the Noveske Switchblock, which helps eliminate some of the blow back. However, I'm left handed, so what gases that do come out of the ejection port are directed right in my face. Not a huge deal, but I thought about getting a left handed upper so any gases that do come out will be directed away from me.

Now I was under the impression that I could simply get a left handed upper receiver and left handed bolt carrier group, swap them out and be good to go. Apparently that's not the case. When I called Stag Arms to make sure that this is all I would need to do, I was told that I need a barrel that has an ambidextrous barrel extension! Their suggestion was to replace the entire upper with one of their's...of course! I just had my gunsmith do some work to mine so I'm really wanting to avoid having to do this.

I did some research on the internet (and all it's infinite wisdom) and found some conflicting information...go figure! I found some people stating that you absolutely have to have the ambi barrel extension, while other don't bother. Some guys have said that it isn't a big deal and their rifles run fine without it.

I need some input from guys that have dealt with this issue. If I just swap out the upper receiver and bolt carrier group with a left handed one, will the rifle still function and be reliable. This is a patrol rifle / entry gun so reliability is most important. Or do I just say screw it, and deal with the blow-back!

Thanks in advance...ANDY

2011_0503Image0019.jpg

Re: Switching AR to left handed...Questions!

would a gas buster charge handle or the RTV silicone trick fix this? nice looking build by the way

The gas is not really coming out of the ejection port. It's coming out of the charging handle cutout on the rear of the receiver. Have you tried to mod to your charging handle with JB weld? it knocks all the gas away from me and Im running a 10.5" Noveske upper with switch block.

Edit: some gas is coming back out of the ejection port BUT thats not what's hitting your in the face....

I think what your doing is just wasting your money and time. Stick with what you have already. Do you wear shooting glasses?

Yes I wear glasses.

I've shot it right handed and left handed...Not trying to say that it's "side sensitive", just that there is more perceived blow back shooting left handed.

There are companies that make a lefty upper that you can swap into. I shoot left and right suppressed and don't find it to ba an issue. Gas buster will help as well.

Thanks for the input guys. My primary goal here is to not waste my time or money. I think I'll try the RTV trick first and see if it helps. If it doesn't, then I'll probably just deal with what little blow back there is.

ANDY

The shop I work at does this often. You have to use an ambi bolt group and barrel extension. You can't use you switch block either because it's pinned and i'm not sure if novese sells the pin blocks so other people can pin them. You're pretty much going to have to build a new upper or just deal with the gas issue. Is your superssor on the gun all the time you're on duty?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tight group</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't put RVT on your gun. Not on a duty gun anyway. That's just silly! </div></div>

You dont put it on the rifle. You fill in parts of the charging handle.... essentially making a gas buster charging handle. Or you can do out and spend $90.00 on the real deal GASBUSTER handle.

Do they even make a Left handed Gas Buster Handle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tight group</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't put RVT on your gun. Not on a duty gun anyway. That's just silly! </div></div>

You dont put it on the rifle. You fill in parts of the charging handle.... essentially making a gas buster charging handle. Or you can do out and spend $90.00 on the real deal GASBUSTER handle.

</div></div>

for a fellow lefty in case you don't have the link for left Noveske's:

Lefty Noveske

But, I would just buy me a gas buster charging handle and move on with it. It works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tight group</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't put RVT on your gun. Not on a duty gun anyway. That's just silly! </div></div>

</div></div>
i understand what you're saying. bad idea. with a duty rifle you shouldnt "half ass" you gear. get the right parts and make sure its right for you. would you jb weld the breaks on your car? ...no...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for a fellow lefty in case you don't have the link for left Noveske's:

Lefty Noveske

But, I would just buy me a gas buster charging handle and move on with it. It works.

</div></div>
very nice!

PRI suggests lefties to not use it because of the port design in the handle.

From PRI Link
"The M84 Gas Buster® charging handle with the NEW Combat latch for the M-16 / AR15. The new Combat latch is 17% larger then the military latch plus has a flat rippled front, for better grip. The Gas Buster® charging handle is a safety device with ergonomic design that diverts harmful gases, oil and dirt away from the shooter. The Gas Buster® is less effective for the left hand shooter based on the porting in the handle. The Gas Buster® will not work with Ruger's AR."

I'm interested to hear how well it works for a lefty though. It seems like some of the gas your dealing with might be from the chamber and not necessarily from the charge handle. Have you tried using a heavier buffer or stiffer spring to increase the dwell time? Have you considered re-porting your barrel for use only with a suppressor? That way you have the correct porting and dwell time so you don't get as much blow back?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gas is not really coming out of the ejection port. It's coming out of the charging handle cutout on the rear of the receiver. Have you tried to mod to your charging handle with JB weld? it knocks all the gas away from me and Im running a 10.5" Noveske upper with switch block.

Edit: some gas is coming back out of the ejection port BUT thats not what's hitting your in the face....

I think what your doing is just wasting your money and time. Stick with what you have already. Do you wear shooting glasses? </div></div>

I agree with this observation.

To the OP, your beautiful gun may have not been through QC. Gas squirts through the charging handle spaces indicate the flow of gas is not all getting to where it needs to go. Check your carrier key alignment to gas tube, as well as gas rings, in addition to key alignment/tightness to carrier. With your short barrel and suppressor, your gun could lose a lot of gas and still function, that's to say, not short cycle.

Thanks for all of the responses and input from everyone. To address some of the questions...I am leaving the suppressor on the gun at all times and I want to avoid replacing my entire upper. Also, my Switchblock is not pinned it's a clamp-on. I'm certainly not trying to half-ass anything. I just figured the RTV was something to try and if I didn't like it or it didn't work I could just remove it.

To JSTARSZ: Thanks for the link and I have looked at that. From your post, I'm assuming that you're a lefty and that you're using a Gasbuster. How well does it work for you.

I am going to get a heavier buffer but I never thought about a stiffer spring...not a bad idea.

I don't want you guys to think I'm being a puss and bitching about what I've got because that's not the case. I noticed that my 11.5" suppressed has significantly less blow-back that what my 16" did, I'm assuming that's because I'm running the switchblock.

Shit...gotta go, I'll continue later!

If you would be willing, going to a gas piston system may reduce enough of the gasses to make it better for you. It would possibly be cheaper even than getting a new upper and getting an armorer to put everything back on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drew_1312</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To JSTARSZ: Thanks for the link and I have looked at that. From your post, I'm assuming that you're a lefty and that you're using a Gasbuster. How well does it work for you.</div></div>
I shoot a right handed M4 Rock River with a Gas Buster and an AAC M4/2000 suppressor and also a 10.5" Noveske 6.8mm. I had the same issues as you but was told to get the gas buster. It works well. Not 100% but works well enough as to not gas me to death. All my AR's are right hander’s and of course I shoot them the lefty way. I guess over time it is also something you just come to deal with when shooting AR's that some gas in the face is normal. It normally doesn't bother me.

i dont think you're being a puss. who wants hot gasses and unburnt powder in their face,,,,?

Sorry about leaving without finishing, forgot about a 9:00AM meeting.

Anyway...the reason I was thinking about going to a left handed upper was because I assumed that the majority of the gases were coming out of the ejection port. I just thought that swapping the upper to a lefty would be a simple and quick fix. I have always shot a right handed AR as a lefty and I've never had any issues. It's comfortable, easy to manipulate, and I'm proficient with it. I've been on our spec ops team for about 10 years and it's what I know.

This is my first suppressor so I knew that there would be some blow back. The gases that I do feel, are on my right cheek. Again, it's not terrible, just always looking to improve what I have. If the gases aren't coming out of the ejection port then I'm not even going to bother. I haven't been able to get out to shoot since firearms training, and I never really paid that much attention as to where they were coming from.

Again, thanks for the input and suggestions. It gives me plenty to think about.

ANDY

As a fellow southpaw, and an owner of a 11.5" commando, I felt your pain. I'm running an AAC M4-2000 on mine and the gas was killing me.

The Gas Buster is NOT an option for southpaws.

I swapped my upper receiver with a STAG left hand unit and it solved most of the problem. But not all. I did this prior to the evolution of Piston Systems.

Now, I'm in the process of switching back to a right-hand upper and installing a piston system. The piston system should eliminate 100% of the gas blowback from the charging handle and/or ejection port, as the gasses don't enter the receiver at all! They blow out the top, near the gas block.

I'm favoring the Osprey OPS-416. However, I am not opposed to the Adams Arms one. It depends on which one will fit in my YHM freefloat forend. If neither one does, then its going to be the OPS-416, as it's cheaper and I can put $$$ towards a new forend.

FTIW: CMMG also makes a piston system for LEFT HAND ARs. They are back ordered for many months (and more expensive), as I suspect they are currently supplying STAG Arms with the kit. STAG Arms now sells a left hand piston upper/rifle.

One last suggestion. If this rifle is going to be running a can most of the time, you can buy an adjustable gas block and tune down the gas. My new Armalite AR10 SuperSASS has one factory installed.

Not real convenient if you are running the rifle with the can 50/50, though.