• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tac Ops Rifles

It's my second TacOps, working now on my 3rd!

The March matches the build I think perfectly, it's my first and I'm impressed!

Damn, that's a good looking rifle...

I've got a 66 I'm waiting for that will be chambered for the FGMM 190gr SMK. Haven't seen any available for some time. Has anyone tried the Black Hills that seems to have some availability? As an alternative, do you have a load that will shoot alongside the factory load?

TIL that those barrels are torqued on seriously tight. I would not want to be the poor soul who has to take the old barrel off of a TacOps rifle.

I've got a 66 I'm waiting for that will be chambered for the FGMM 190gr SMK. Haven't seen any available for some time. Has anyone tried the Black Hills that seems to have some availability? As an alternative, do you have a load that will shoot alongside the factory load?
I've only shot 190gr. FGMM, and sparingly so at that. (To me, any closer than at least 1,200 yards is a waste of money/ammo with a .300WM, especially now). There's no place within a 5 hour drive for me where the X-Ray 66 can stretch it's legs a bit, so I've rarely shot it.

While it's an apples & oranges comparison, in years past I fed my 22" barreled X-Ray 51 SW & Black Hills 175 SMKs' in Mid-Range (600 Yard) matches with pretty good results (3x20 Agreggate Score 584-15X shot off Harris Bipod). The best 20-rd. Relay I ever shot was a 197-9X at my first and only visit to a range I was unfamiliar with. If you can get ahold of Black Hills 190gr. Match ammo you should give that a try in your X-Ray 66.

Keith

@Aries64 Thanks much for the response. I'll pick up one of the boxes of Black Hills 190s. I'm a little concerned that some of the currently advertised is annotated factory seconds and some not. It does not lend confidence. WTF, this whole place is about pulling the trigger :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.

I PM'd you one other question and much appreciate your post. QH

4473 completed. Headed back to 90210.

tempImage0mfd8a.png

Listen don't worry a few of you guys will get the AL Dente treatment on the action baking , Frank was one of them LOL

Mike R.

Last edited:
No worries from me, at all. I was simply sharing a photo of my baked (9 hours) Surgeon action as part of my Tac Ops rifle journey.

Mike goes beyond the extra mile-like his action process for example-to help ensure that the end result is a reliable and amazingly accurate rifle that has been described as a masterpiece.

Thanks to all of you that have posted in this thread...especially the photos of your rifles and your groups. I plan to do the same in the coming months.

Last edited:
Reactions: JakeM
So what's going on with the actions?

I just like looking at the nice rifles that I can't afford.
If I’m correct. I believe he is heat treating them a second time to get them stiffer. This is so he can cut Tac Ops proprietary threads and torque the barrel on at 500 ft lbs. He does this so the barrel doesn’t flex in the action as it heats up, this in turn (almost or all the way) eliminates cold bore shifts and helps with precision. @MikeRTacOps might need to explain it if I’m off.

Reactions: LeftyJason
E55655DE-E309-48BE-B69E-2BF465B9766A.jpeg
I was finally able to receive my left handed Delta 51 surgeon in 308 here in Canada. After several months of waiting and problems with shipping and customs, the rifle finally got here last week. I set up the scope today. And I hope I can go shoot it soon. But with -25C or -13F this week, I will wait until there are warmer days. I must say that the rifle is awesome and feel great in my hands. I will post some pictures of my first shooting session.

Thanks again Mike !

It's gotta be a great feeling to finally get your hands on it after not just the usual wait, but the added tribulations. Don't let mother nature boss you around! Grab your marshmallow suit and get out there! ;-)

It's gotta be a great feeling to finally get your hands on it after not just the usual wait, but the added tribulations. Don't let mother nature boss you around! Grab your marshmallow suit and get out there! ;-)
You are right, it really is an incredible feeling to have received the rifle. It feels amazing in my hands.

I will definitely go shoot soon. Even if it's cold. Do not worry ! 😉

Reactions: DJL2
View attachment 7788585I was finally able to receive my left handed Delta 51 surgeon in 308 here in Canada. After several months of waiting and problems with shipping and customs, the rifle finally got here last week. I set up the scope today. And I hope I can go shoot it soon. But with -25C or -13F this week, I will wait until there are warmer days. I must say that the rifle is awesome and feel great in my hands. I will post some pictures of my first shooting session.

Thanks again Mike !
Finally a LH photo.

I wasn't sure @MikeRTacOps was doing LH rifles. Maybe my two AIs need some company

Last edited:
@Nik H - it's time. You shot one of my Tac Ops rifles at Woodcock Rifle Range last year. I'm happy to let you try the other two as well.

Reactions: kthomas
@Nik H - it's time. You shot one of my Tac Ops rifles at Woodcock Rifle Range last year. I'm happy to let you try the other two as well.
Let me know...glad to meet you and try them out. I thought you only had the one plus an AI. Which models do you have?

Let me know...glad to meet you and try them out. I thought you only had the one plus an AI. Which models do you have?
Lima 51 308 - the rifle you shot
Xray 51 in 6.5 creedmoor
Delta 51 lightweight 308

We can pick a Saturday or Sunday when the weather warms up a bit

Reactions: Nik H
Lima 51 308 - the rifle you shot
Xray 51 in 6.5 creedmoor
Delta 51 lightweight 308

We can pick a Saturday or Sunday when the weather warms up a bit
You let me know. I shoot in the cold but know a lot of people hate it.

I shoot mostly prone so I would love to try whichever one is designed to shoot best from prone. If you have a range nearer to you that has a place to shoot prone, I would love to come up there. Woodcock sucks for shooting prone.

You let me know. I shoot in the cold but know a lot of people hate it.

I shoot mostly prone so I would love to try whichever one is designed to shoot best from prone. If you have a range nearer to you that has a place to shoot prone, I would love to come up there. Woodcock sucks for shooting prone.

In my experience, the only thing you can't shoot prone is slingshots and rubber bands ... but that's just me. =)

In my experience, the only thing you can't shoot prone is slingshots and rubber bands ... but that's just me. =)
There is some truth to that but some stocks are better configured for shooting prone IMHO. I am familiar with the A4 and A5 McMillan stocks and I would take an A5 in the prone over an A4.

Reactions: brianf