• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tackdriving AR10 Load at Max.

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
Ok, Ok, It's only 1/2 MOA, but this is my AR10A4 with stock chrome lined 20" barrel, free floated. 45gr Varget, 168 Amax, Fed brass, WLR primer, oal 2.81" @ 2610fps. I am waiting for the 90F weather to test for excessive pressure, but want to know if this load is going to beat my rifle up prematurely. Mild primer flattening, & a shiny ejector mark seem to be the only pressure signs. This rifle usually prints around MOA with pet load of 43.5gr H4895 & 168 Amax, Win Brass, CCI br primer. Opinions?

Re: Tackdriving AR10 Load at Max.

Got any pics? On my AR10 the ejector marks are the first pressure sign, I can get deep ones before the primers start looking scary.

No pics right now. I will on the next test run.I am trying to get away from the max loads because I don't want to stretch the primer pockets to bad on this Fed brass, but the load rocks.

I doubt you will find much difference at 90F or even 100F for that matter with Varget. Try 45.5 with the CCI BR2 or FGMM 210M. I use Win brass. It is harder than Federal. It seems to me A LOT of AR10's leave ejector marks even with mild loads. I was popping primers out of FGMM factory ammo and the brass is toast.

That's a pretty common load. I really don't think you'll have any problems.

I get mild ejector wipes on my AR brass long before I hit unsafe pressures. I'd run it.

I shot a bunch of FGMM 168's out of my DPMS LR308 this past weekend. The brass was toast. I would have to file the ejector marks down just to reload! I guess the Federal brass is just that soft.

My primary concern is the rifle. I have about 500 pcs of Win brass, once fired. About a year ago I stumbled on a honey hole of once fired Fed brass straight from the LE range, about 3100 pcs. My AR10 doesn't hurt the brass too bad, & when primer pockets get stretched, I have 5000 Wolf LR primers on standby. I have been handloading for 8 years & just recently lost some primers for the first time on a .223 load.
Thanks for the replies!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a pretty common load. I really don't think you'll have any problems.

I get mild ejector wipes on my AR brass long before I hit unsafe pressures. I'd run it. </div></div>

This seems to be true for me as well. I've heard that it is common on AR10s from guys who have been loading for it longer than I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ok, Ok, It's only 1/2 MOA, but this is my AR10A4 with stock chrome lined 20" barrel, free floated. 45gr Varget, 168 Amax, Fed brass, WLP primer, oal 2.81" @ 2610fps. I am waiting for the 90F weather to test for excessive pressure, but want to know if this load is going to beat my rifle up prematurely. Mild primer flattening, & a shiny ejector mark seem to be the only pressure signs. This rifle usually prints around MOA with pet load of 43.5gr H4895 & 168 Amax, Win Brass, CCI br primer. Opinions? </div></div>

How did you achieve your free floating floating barrel? I have this rifle as well though with the collapsible stock. I'm not getting that kind of accuracy but then I haven't expected to find it; self fulfilling prophecy perhaps?

You meant WL<span style="text-decoration: underline">R</span> primers right?

Looks like you have found the magic!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ok, Ok, It's only 1/2 MOA, but this is my AR10A4 with stock chrome lined 20" barrel, free floated. 45gr Varget, 168 Amax, Fed brass, WLP primer, oal 2.81" @ 2610fps. I am waiting for the 90F weather to test for excessive pressure, but want to know if this load is going to beat my rifle up prematurely. Mild primer flattening, & a shiny ejector mark seem to be the only pressure signs. This rifle usually prints around MOA with pet load of 43.5gr H4895 & 168 Amax, Win Brass, CCI br primer. Opinions? </div></div>

How did you achieve your free floating floating barrel? I have this rifle as well though with the collapsible stock. I'm not getting that kind of accuracy but then I haven't expected to find it; self fulfilling prophecy perhaps?

You meant WL<span style="text-decoration: underline">R</span> primers right?

Looks like you have found the magic! </div></div> I removed the stock hand guard & barrel nut and replaced it with a PRI carbon fiber hand guard which threads on to the upper receiver & does not touch the barrel. This rifle has about 800 rds thru it, most of them in load testing. It has the older 1/10 twist medium wt. chrome lined barrels, which is fat under the hand guards. I ran some Tubb's final finish abrasive bullets thru about 200rds ago, don't know if that helped or not, JP trigger. WLR primers.

Ok. I think I jumped the gun a little. Another 20rds of 45gr Varget 168gr Amax yesterday, and all 5 shot groups were averaging 1.5 MOA.Too much coffee maybe.

Bolt swipe and ejector marks are a sign of an over pressured gas system and bolt timing not a high pressure load as far as chamber pressure. Try a heavier buffer and you may cure all your brass damage problems. FGMM runs fine in my 10t with no brass damage and it is a bone stock gun.

Man these AR10's are hard to load for. I cannot make my AR 10T to shoot under 1 moa (but then again this was the first 60 rounds through the rifle). Now I'm wondering maybe I should have bought a DPMS 308
shocked.gif
. Haha! Hopefully I'll get better, goodluck with yours.

Joseph