• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Shooters Equipment - What the pros use...

After you adjust the firing pin in an AI, they do fine with higher pressure. I can run my .260 over 2900 with 140s if I want and won't pierce primers.

I shoot an AI in competition. It's heavier than most guys rigs but it seems to me I have fewer cycling issues and rarely do I get any zero drift. If you have one, try it out.

I have considered putting together a light weight match gun on a tikka but until I get through the program I just started I won't have much time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two NASCAR race cars. Which do you think would win going against each other? Both with same driver. Both top of their game but at different times. The second is an evolution to make it better and stay competitive in an evolving sport. Same with .308s being used years ago and now 6/6.5s perform better ballistically. You wouldn't see someone coming out and racing with Junior's car now would you? How do you think they would do?

1963-1963-chevrolet-impal_1600x0w.jpg

NSCS14_24_Gordon.jpg

I love the comparison.

.308220 -

I shot .308 for nearly 10 years before transitioning to .260 nearly 4 years ago. I love my .308 and it is still a sub half MOA gun, but it has only been out of the safe twice in the last 4 years. I have been hanging onto my .308 thinking I will let my kids shoot it when they are old enough. But the more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that I should sell it and buy the kids a .243 or .260 when they are ready for shooting long range with me. My .260 is so much more fun to shoot than my .308. Slightly less recoil, higher BC which leads to significantly less wind drift and aids in bullet drop (both of which make the rifle much more forgiving to shoot).

I do a little bit of competitive long range shooting. I know there are many guys here in this thread that could wipe the floor with me. From experience, I can tell you that the .308 is at a huge disadvantage to the 6 and 6.5 caliber rounds. If you have to hold 3 mils wind and someone with a 6 only needs to hold .8 you have a much larger margin of error if you happen to call the wind slightly different than it actually is.

Below is a link to a match I attended last month. It was not a national match, but there were some fantastic shooters there. Looking over the list, I don't think there was a .308 shooter that finished in the top 10.

Rob Wilkinson: King of Powder Keg | Com-Link

.308 is an okay way to get into long range shooting. 5 years ago, it was about the only way to get into the game without a custom or semi custom rifle. Now you can buy factory guns in 6.5 CM or .260, so why would you want to handicap yourself with a .308 if you know you are going to regularly shoot or compete at long range. Sure there is the argument that a .308 will make you learn to read the wind better, that may be a valid point. But from that same argument, a .22 LR would be superior to a .308 in learning to read the wind. I personally think reading the wind comes from experience in the field and can be learned with any any caliber.

There is a ton of knowledge to be gained by attending competitions. I attended the Silencerco Quiet Riot this year and had James Vick in my squad. He taught me a few things that have really elevated my game. My overall finish was pretty terrible at the Quiet Riot (Though I only happened to shoot one of the two days, it really wan't to terrible of a finish in my opinion). There have also been a bunch of local shooters that have really helped me improve my shooting over the last few years too.

I can tell you that there is not a single person at these competitions that would recommend that a shooter purchase a .308 if they wanted to regularly compete in long range matches (even the .308 shooters would give that advice). We have even had talk of putting .308 shooters in their own class or holding .308 only comps with no LRFs, wind meters or ballistic software (which sound like they could be lot of fun and that sort of match would absolutely show which shooter knows their stuff compared to the other members of the group).

There are lots of guys on this forum with years of top level competitive experience under their belts. They are great resources to go to with questions on gear or technique. Every one of them on this thread has not recommended a .308 for competitive long range shooting. I think that is saying something.

- Rob W.

Last edited:
Wow, a lot of outstanding information in this thread. Thank you to all for providing such great information. As a person who really wants to get into shooting matches, this helps. I have a 308, and will be transitioning to the 6.5s soon. I have learned the basics on .308, and am excited to see what the 6.5s have to offer.

Question for the pros:

I was considering buying the new AI AT. I noticed that on the list, there isn't many (I think only 2) who run AI. What's your opinion on running an AI for competitions? I know AIs tend to be a little heavier, when competing, do guys try use lighter rifles?

Thanks again! If anyone is in the SoCal area, is there a place to go and watch a match nearby, or go to learn more about them?

I think you will see more shooters using the AT platform now that you can change barrels so easily in the rifle system. I run an older DTA SRS and it has the same issue as an AI with a larger firing pin hole, though I am currently running near 2900 fps in my .260 with 139 scenars without piercing primers.

I am seeing a lot more AI chassis in precision rifle comps too. At the national PRS match that I attended this year, there were a number of guys running Ai chassis and I also saw a few AT rifles too. There were also lots of custom rifles in Chassis systems.

Let me know if you are looking for an AI AT. I am an FFL and am due to get a couple more AT rifles next week. I would love to have the opportunity to earn your business.

Last edited:
Guys, you don't necessarily need to bush an AI. See lowlight's post about adjusting the firing pin. It did wonders for mine.

Guys, you don't necessarily need to bush an AI. See lowlight's post about adjusting the firing pin. It did wonders for mine.

Understood. Just brought it up as a reason it's not seen as much. Most guys have that issue, try bushing it (no one does it) then they give up and sell it or it sits. Lowlight will post how to adjust the pin and 2 posts later people seem to have forgotten and start complaining again that no one bushes the ai bolts. I would love to try one in a match. I'm a big fan of that 2 stage and that bolt is pretty slick. Good to hear you can hit 2900 without piercing primers.

This info is great. But can anyone tell me the average barrel length. Thinking about building a rifle along this type for a personal use. Just wondering what the barrel length was. Thanks.

This info is great. But can anyone tell me the average barrel length. Thinking about building a rifle along this type for a personal use. Just wondering what the barrel length was. Thanks.

I can tell you it's in the 24-28" range no matter what you read in all the short barrel threads. People shooting these matches know that velocity and a flat shooting, wind bucking round can mean points and don't give them up so they can be cool on the internet. Can an 18" 6.5 or 6mm round make 1000? Yup but the trajectory is closer to a rainbow than a 26" barrel doing the same thing. You also don't have to push the longer barrels as hard to get the velocity.

Do yourself a favor and if you plan on building a match rifle in 6.5 or 6mm to go with something in that range.

Hey thanks Rob01. I was figuring plus my friends ( including builder Tooter Meredith) most of their rifles r 24 with add brake or a flat 26. Some the 26 inchers have. Brake. Thought that might b long.

Tactical Shooters Equipment - What the pros use...

An 18" barreled rifle has its place. But as Rob said, a match gun isn't one of them. I'm doing a switch barrel with a short 308 practice barrel to handicap my trajectory, and a long (prob 26") 260 barrel for comps.

It's interesting looking back at the equipment used in 2012. 5 years makes a huge difference. Would love to see a side by side chart of the gear used by the pros.

It's interesting looking back at the equipment used in 2012. 5 years makes a huge difference. Would love to see a side by side chart of the gear used by the pros.

Well you can always check it out at precision rifle blog. A lot of good information on that site.

Just curios why none of the Pros are using Steiner Glass. I just spent a pretty penny on the Military T5Xi Made in Germany model. I looked at all the Vortex except the AMG and they weighed a lot. The Steiner was almost a full pound lighter. Couldn't afford the Schmit I wanted. Still just curios why no one is using them.

Just curios why none of the Pros are using Steiner Glass. I just spent a pretty penny on the Military T5Xi Made in Germany model. I looked at all the Vortex except the AMG and they weighed a lot. The Steiner was almost a full pound lighter. Couldn't afford the Schmit I wanted. Still just curios why no one is using them.

I would guess that they are not a PRS team sponsor.

Reactions: TheBeard413