• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tangent 5-25 or new Schmidt 6-36

Hope nobody is holding out for a tremor 3 in a 636 🤣🤣🤣 prolly be $9999.99

That Hitler meth must be hitting the perfect spot this time of year after you just finished huffing the last few grams of Russian gas. :ROFLMAO:

That Hitler meth must be hitting the perfect spot this time of year after you just finished huffing the last few grams of Russian gas. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously....prolly hedging their upcoming power bills into that haha

I guess it’s only in the US that prices have exploded…
Capitalism.

I guess it’s only in the US that prices have exploded…
Capitalism.

That's correct, Schmidt clearly has it out against the USA, they did this around 2017 if memory serves and after their sales tanked they lowered their prices, they seem intent on keeping them crazy. As much as I like EO, I do not like that they are the sole distributor in the USA, I think that really hurt Schmidt.

Preordered both tt735 and SB 636. Schmidt seems to have better price in Canada now…..

Reactions: Gil P.
Local S&B Importer here in Aus is expecting stock late Jan Early Feb.......4 6-36,s coming in initial order.

Aus pricing.....AUD $6300ish for STD turrets and AUD $7200 for MT .5cm

Not to bad pricing..... pretty much on par with ZCO 8-40

I had the ZCO 8-40 and didn't think much of it ...will be interesting to see how the S&B compares..

Local S&B Importer here in Aus is expecting stock late Jan Early Feb.......4 6-36,s coming in initial order.

Aus pricing.....AUD $6300ish for STD turrets and AUD $7200 for MT .5cm

Not to bad pricing..... pretty much on par with ZCO 8-40

I had the ZCO 8-40 and didn't think much of it ...will be interesting to see how the S&B compares..

That's like less than $5k of our $
I'll bet they get sold here for probably at least $1k more than you are paying.

Care to elaborate?
Yep...No worries..

I had 6 ZCO,s ..."4" 5-27,s and "2" 8-40,s ...

When myself and a few friends were doing comparisons between all the ZCO,s the 8-40,s were noticeably "Softer" than the 3-27,s at any given power.
All who looked and compared commented on this factor. It is obviously expected at the higher power ranges , BUT from 15-27 the 8-40 was lacking compared to the 5-27.
There are variations , even amongst scopes in the ZCO class.......for instance of the "4" 5-27,s one sample stood out prominently from the others !! it was staggeringly sharp and clear ...noticeably better than the other 3.
Going from this particular sample back to the 8-40,s the 8-40,s were of the impression you just could not dial in the focus correctly.

My original intent was to mount the 8-40 on my Desert Tech HTI 375CT, but i went with the NF ATACR 7-35 IMO its optically as good...even a little better at 30-35 power. .

The 3-27 that stood out, is at this moment the clearest optic i have ever looked through.......it haven't seen through a TT yet , but i have "2" 5-25,s coming and due shortly. One will go on my Desert Tech SRS

The BIG !!!! downer for me in relation to ZCO is NOT the optically quality, But the Mechanical quality....i had 3 of the 6 ZCO fail mechanically which is why i will never touch the brand again. I was VERY fortunate that my dealer here in Aus allowed me to return all the ZCO,s for a full refund as he had other customers with failures as well...so it wasn't just my batch.

I have the S&B 6-36 on order and hopefully it will arrive in the timeframe i have been told.....until then the NF ATACR is the best choice for my HTI.

Attachments

• 22www.jpg
    22www.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220830_155556.jpgwwww.jpg
    20220830_155556.jpgwwww.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220830_155540.jpgwwww.jpg
    20220830_155540.jpgwwww.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220813_133037.jpgwwww.jpg
    20220813_133037.jpgwwww.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220813_133030.jpgwwww.jpg
    20220813_133030.jpgwwww.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220730_134248.jpgwww.jpg
    20220730_134248.jpgwww.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 20220730_123904.jpgwww.jpg
    20220730_123904.jpgwww.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220730_123854.jpgwww.jpg
    20220730_123854.jpgwww.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 33www.jpg
    33www.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 85
Let us know which is best.
"Which is best" is always relative at this level, it's more about which features are going to suit you more or fit your style of shooting. TT has toolless turrets, if this is going on a switch barrel rifle like an AI then this can be a time saver when switching between barrels and not having to dig through the range bag to find the right hex key to change your zero. If this isn't going on a switch barrel then it may not be that big of a deal. Schmidt offers locking and MTC clicks, will this be important to you, then this might sway you more in that direction. As you've mentioned before, you seem to prefer the P5FL reticle over the others, so for that reason alone it seems like you've already built a case around the Schmidt. Will it really make a difference if you hear the TT can resolve 3 extra lines on a resolution chart vs. the Schmidt? I would argue that the "preferred" reticle is going to help you more...

Yep...No worries..

When myself and a few friends were doing comparisons between all the ZCO,s the 8-40,s were noticeably "Softer" than the 3-27,s at any given power.
All who looked and compared commented on this factor. It is obviously expected at the higher power ranges , BUT from 15-27 the 8-40 was lacking compared to the 5-27.
There are variations , even amongst scopes in the ZCO class.......for instance of the "4" 5-27,s one sample stood out prominently from the others !! it was staggeringly sharp and clear ...noticeably better than the other 3.
Going from this particular sample back to the 8-40,s the 8-40,s were of the impression you just could not dial in the focus correctly.

My original intent was to mount the 8-40 on my Desert Tech HTI 375CT, but i went with the NF ATACR 7-35 IMO its optically as good...even a little better at 30-35 power. .

The 3-27 that stood out, is at this moment the clearest optic i have ever looked through.......it haven't seen through a TT yet , but i have "2" 5-25,s coming and due shortly. One will go on my Desert Tech SRS

The BIG !!!! downer for me in relation to ZCO is NOT the optically quality, But the Mechanical quality....i had 3 of the 6 ZCO fail mechanically which is why i will never touch the brand again. I was VERY fortunate that my dealer here in Aus allowed me to return all the ZCO,s for a full refund as he had other customers with failures as well...so it wasn't just my batch.

I have the S&B 6-36 on order and hopefully it will arrive in the timeframe i have been told.....until then the NF ATACR is the best choice for my HTI.
Appreciate that, this is good information to have. Regarding the scopes, what was the diopter process you used to dial each of them in? Years ago I used to do the recommended method of max mag, parallax at infinity and look at a clear sky or blank wall, but a number of years ago another Hide'r recommended fine tuning of the diopter on targets and it changed everything. I have a feeling that certain people like myself have such a huge range where the reticle appears to be in focus using the sky method that the diopter was never really getting set appropriately for my eye, I used to think the diopter was only for adjusting the reticle focus, but it manages so much more and I've since realized a poor diopter setting can make the difference between this scope looks great and this scope sucks. Being in Australia makes it a pain to have to deal with warranty issues where the scopes have to be sent back to the states and I'm sure that played a factor, but I do know that ZCO USA has really bent over backwards to address any issues in a timely manner. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences with ZCO, having negative experiences with multiple scopes certainly puts a damper on wanting to invest further. Also, I'm guessing you will get some serious backlash for your comments as honest as they are. Obviously, plenty of shooters have been very happy with their ZCO's with better experiences than yours and they will likely come to ZCO's defense in this case, but your experience is something that nobody can deny and it is unfortunate that you had to go through all that; I will say this, you have one good dealer down there who allowed you to return these purchases and pursue a different route, that is extremely helpful to have a dealer on your side.

I
Appreciate that, this is good information to have. Regarding the scopes, what was the diopter process you used to dial each of them in? Years ago I used to do the recommended method of max mag, parallax at infinity and look at a clear sky or blank wall, but a number of years ago another Hide'r recommended fine tuning of the diopter on targets and it changed everything. I have a feeling that certain people like myself have such a huge range where the reticle appears to be in focus using the sky method that the diopter was never really getting set appropriately for my eye, I used to think the diopter was only for adjusting the reticle focus, but it manages so much more and I've since realized a poor diopter setting can make the difference between this scope looks great and this scope sucks. Being in Australia makes it a pain to have to deal with warranty issues where the scopes have to be sent back to the states and I'm sure that played a factor, but I do know that ZCO USA has really bent over backwards to address any issues in a timely manner. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences with ZCO, having negative experiences with multiple scopes certainly puts a damper on wanting to invest further. Also, I'm guessing you will get some serious backlash for your comments as honest as they are. Obviously, plenty of shooters have been very happy with their ZCO's with better experiences than yours and they will likely come to ZCO's defense in this case, but your experience is something that nobody can deny and it is unfortunate that you had to go through all that; I will say this, you have one good dealer down there who allowed you to return these purchases and pursue a different route, that is extremely helpful to have a dealer on your side.
I have always set the diopter by actually using a LOW power such as 10x or such....i check at this power that ALL the reticle is sharply defined and in focus , then i look at a white piece of paper with a checkerboard grid at 100yds and check for reticle focus and main focus.......NEVER had and issues doing this..

Regarding adjusting the diopter:

I've struggled with this as well. Using "parallax at infinity and look at a clear blue sky and blank wall" has never worked well for me either for the same reason you mentioned.

If you get the chance, try adjusting your diopter at night, inside of your house in a dimly lit room. Set parallax at infinity and set zoom at a power when the reticle just becomes usable. Look at blank white wall. Your pupils will be dilated since it's dark and will be more sensitive to the adjustments you make with your diopter. Using this method has always given me good results.

Ilya was the one who explained this to me. It saved me a lot of frustration.

"Which is best" is always relative at this level, it's more about which features are going to suit you more or fit your style of shooting. TT has toolless turrets, if this is going on a switch barrel rifle like an AI then this can be a time saver when switching between barrels and not having to dig through the range bag to find the right hex key to change your zero. If this isn't going on a switch barrel then it may not be that big of a deal. Schmidt offers locking and MTC clicks, will this be important to you, then this might sway you more in that direction. As you've mentioned before, you seem to prefer the P5FL reticle over the others, so for that reason alone it seems like you've already built a case around the Schmidt. Will it really make a difference if you hear the TT can resolve 3 extra lines on a resolution chart vs. the Schmidt? I would argue that the "preferred" reticle is going to help you more...
This is why i like this site. Good post and I couldn't agree more.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
Yep...No worries..

Which reticle did you choose in your S&B 6-36?

Great info about the ZCOs.

Which reticle did you choose in your S&B 6-36?

Great info about the ZCOs.
P5FL..... I had the Grid2 on an 5-25...thought i would like it but when i got it i found it just to distracting. Sort of like looking through a fly wire screen door.
If they had left the top half of the reticle clean instead of having the 2 rows of dots , i think i may have liked it.

Keep in mind that ZCO scopes for the US market are typically assembled in the US, while ZCO scopes for the rest of the world are typically assembled in Austria. While in theory it should make now difference, in practice it might.
I have never laid hands (to the best of my knowledge) on Austrian assembled ZCOs, so it is all a theory.

ILya

I've struggled with this as well. Using "parallax at infinity and look at a clear blue sky and blank wall" has never worked well for me either for the same reason you mentioned.

If you get the chance, try adjusting your diopter at night, inside of your house in a dimly lit room. Set parallax at infinity and set zoom at a power when the reticle just becomes usable. Look at blank white wall. Your pupils will be dilated since it's dark and will be more sensitive to the adjustments you make with your diopter. Using this method has always given me good results.

I am glad this method is working for you. I have been beating the drum of "your eyes are a part of the optical system along with the riflescope" for probably around two decades now without a ton of luck. If I had a dollar for every time I heard from people that because I do not have as much field experience as they do, they could not care less what I tell them, I'd be retired by now.

ILya

zco 840 works pretty well to me. Really wish it had more elevations adjustments. If 6-36 with MT2 works out good, I will definitely buy more for ELR set up.

I bought one 3-27 and 5-45 with MT2 2 years ago. Both scopes arrived as defective. Turret would lock itself randomly. Will give Schmidt one more chance, hopefully there won’t be any problems this time. Finger crossed.

Good to know, I will practice that as well

I

I have always set the diopter by actually using a LOW power such as 10x or such....i check at this power that ALL the reticle is sharply defined and in focus , then i look at a white piece of paper with a checkerboard grid at 100yds and check for reticle focus and main focus.......NEVER had and issues doing this..
You are better off than many 👍. You might try adjusting slightly at long range too, 700-1000 yards and see if parallax and focus settle a little more as well. This is what I refer to as fine tuning, I do 100 yards as well.

Keep in mind that ZCO scopes for the US market are typically assembled in the US, while ZCO scopes for the rest of the world are typically assembled in Austria. While in theory it should make now difference, in practice it might.
I have never laid hands (to the best of my knowledge) on Austrian assembled ZCOs, so it is all a theory.

ILya
I was not aware of that, I’m assuming rest of the world has to send scopes back to Austria for warranty which also not too convenient for Aussies. I agree it should not make a difference but I also know some US owners have had similar issues, maybe not to the extent of our friend down under but mechanical and optical issues. Post above about TT seals being defective and issues some have had with Schmidt. Fact of the matter is the second law of thermodynamics at work. Nothing is perfect and if you expect it to be then you’re in for a difficult journey. Warranty and have quick turn around and pleasant service makes a difference.

Reactions: Gil P.
@wooferocau
Do you still have your 3-27 and 5-45 Schmidts? I wasn't clear if you replaced or returned them.

If you can recall, after adjusting the diopter, was the entire reticle sharply in focus at low magnification on these scopes?

I was not aware of that, I’m assuming rest of the world has to send scopes back to Austria for warranty which also not too convenient for Aussies. I agree it should not make a difference but I also know some US owners have had similar issues, maybe not to the extent of our friend down under but mechanical and optical issues. Post above about TT seals being defective and issues some have had with Schmidt. Fact of the matter is the second law of thermodynamics at work. Nothing is perfect and if you expect it to be then you’re in for a difficult journey. Warranty and have quick turn around and pleasant service makes a difference.

Hmm mine was def stamped made in Austria iirm

Hmm mine was def stamped made in Austria iirm

Most parts are made in Austria with the lenses from Germany, all the North American models are assembled and warrantied at ZCO USA in Idaho under Jeff. Australia was warrantied in Austria where they are assembled for other areas of the world. I’m not sure of the exact breakdown of the ZCO USA and ZCO Austria distribution throughout the world.

So if it says made in Austria it's really assembled here?

@wooferocau
Do you still have your 3-27 and 5-45 Schmidts? I wasn't clear if you replaced or returned them.

If you can recall, after adjusting the diopter, was the entire reticle sharply in focus at low magnification on these scopes?
My 3-27 may have had fuzzy edges, I’d have to look at some of my reticle pics to verify. I had the GR2ID reticle, but 3-27 and 5-45 are 9x erector scopes that push the extreme of magnification. IIRC my 5-45 was better than the 3-27 with distortion at edges. I don’t own either of those scopes anymore.

My 3-27 may have had fuzzy edges, I’d have to look at some of my reticle pics to verify. I had the GR2ID reticle, but 3-27 and 5-45 are 9x erector scopes that push the extreme of magnification. IIRC my 5-45 was better than the 3-27 with distortion at edges. I don’t own either of those scopes anymore.
Have you tested or compared the 5-42x HighMaster?

@wooferocau

Still have my S&B 3-27 PMII ( Pantone ) and "2" 5-25 PMII,s

To be very honest , the glass on the 3-27,s is not all that great...the outer 1/3 of the image lacks clarity and definition...especially once you wind the power down. Overall the image is quite soft and lacks detail of other optics.
My mate has a 3-27 ( Black one in pics) as well and it exhibits the same .

My "2' 5-25,s optically perform much much better!!

I am VERY much looking forward to finally seeing and using a Tangent....heard so many good things about them.

I am hoping that the new S&B 6-36 has much better optics than the 3-27 !

Attachments

• 6www.jpg
    6www.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220907_122039.jpgwww.jpg
    20220907_122039.jpgwww.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220918_100701.jpgwww.jpg
    20220918_100701.jpgwww.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 77

To be very honest , the glass on the 3-27,s is not all that great...the outer 1/3 of the image lacks clarity and definition...especially once you wind the power down. Overall the image is quite soft and lacks detail of other optics.

I am VERY much looking forward to finally seeing and using a Tangent....heard so many good things about them.

Thanks for that. I was searching up on a 3-27. It was either that or another TT in 525 for my next scope. But I think I wanna wait till the 735 comes live now after reading about it in this thread.

I spoke to Ilya about the outer portion of the reticle on my M7Xi that exhibited the same thing. He said it's common for FFP scopes with high erector ratios and wide FOV. Maybe @koshkin can educate us a little more on it.

I didn't notice a loss if image quality with the M7 on low mag, just a loss of focus on the reticle on the outer edges.

Schmidt probably went with a 6x so their new scope won't suffer from the same loss of focus on low mag.

Have you tested or compared the 5-42x HighMaster?
Yes I did compare Schmidt 5-45 to the March HM 5-42. March had better center resolution but worse edge resolution, March has wide FOV which likely contributes to the lack of edge detail. Overall I liked the Schmidt better, but it costs significantly more and is quite a bit larger scope, if neither of those things detract you then I do think it is the better overall scope. If you can handle the edge distortion and somewhat finicky parallax of the March then you may be pleasantly surprised.

That very much mimics my conclusions with my Schmidt 3-27
Again, same here, 5-25 performs much better optically than 3-27.
You will be pleasantly surprised, I do think the TT is a step above Schmidt.
I am hoping it has better optics than their whole line and approaches TT level of resolution and clarity. I have confidence it will be better than the 3-27.

Yes I did compare Schmidt 5-45 to the March HM 5-42. March had better center resolution but worse edge resolution, March has wide FOV which likely contributes to the lack of edge detail. Overall I liked the Schmidt better, but it costs significantly more and is quite a bit larger scope, if neither of those things detract you then I do think it is the better overall scope. If you can handle the edge distortion and somewhat finicky parallax of the March then you may be pleasantly surprised.
Yes I was able to snag a pre-owned one on here or LRH a couple years ago.
After I posted that...I realized that I actually read your review long before.
The edges don't bother me at all...but yes, it's definitely noticeable.
To be honest...the reticle (FML-TR1) is the only thing I really wish was better.
Its good...Definitely usable...but falls well behind the MilXT and EBR-7D IMO

To be honest...the reticle (FML-TR1) is the only thing I really wish was better.
Reticles are certainly very personal. I think on paper, the FML-TR1 and the Zeiss ZF MRi are the best tree reticles I've seen.

The FML-TR1 is a great crossover design, the tree is designed to "disappear" when not in use which opens up more usable space within the sight picture; however, March also has the FML-PDK reticle which is what I would call a more traditional competition oriented design. My personal preference is toward the crossover design, so the FML-TR1 and TT Gen3 XR have been my fav's but there are others like the Mil-XT and EBR-7D, basically anything with dots in the tree vs. solid horizontal lines. But reticle preference is more like chocolate vs. vanilla than anything else.

Reactions: blksno
TT is king i have ZCO and 3 TT. My personal opinion ZCO wants to be TT but no way, people and dealers that sell ZCO hype the scope up so much, ZCO is good scope for $$$ but it's not in same class as TT.

People will be pissed off by this but its honest truth. Don't lie to people.
I agree. ZCO has been hyped up big time

Speaking of Tangent's, I don't expect this to last through today...