• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tango 51 - Range Update

Re: Tango 51 - Range Update

It was shot off my Benchmark Shooting Rest. I always use it when i'm working up loads. I have been using the Nightforce software for awhile. It works great for me. I'm usually able to get first round hits. I love it for groundhog hunting...

Keefer

That is incredible shooting. That 4 shot group works out to be what around .2MOA?

Mike knows how to build them, that is what passion, dedication and attention to detail get you. The man behind the trigger also plays some part
wink.gif

Damn you for posting pics like this! I keep telling myself I'm going to finish all of my other projects before I have another rifle built but this is killing me.

Re: Tango 51 - First time at the Range.... WOW!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Keefer Wetzler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to have Mike build me a Green Hornet in .17 HMR and another Tango in .223.</div></div>

Mike-Ops builds the Green Hornet in .17HMR? I may have to talk to ya about one of those Mike! Well after I get the Lima08 taken care of.

I do not YET own a Tac Ops rifle, but I have a friend who owns more than one. My friend was kind enough to loan me one of his Tango 51's last week, and I lined up 10 empty 12 gauge hulls, 1 foot apart, at 500 yards, and proceeded, with one shot each, to puncture all 10. Ten first round hits in a row at 500 yards, on targets that small, is something I have never been able to do with any other rifle I have shot.

I wonder what kind of accuracy I would get if I had Mike build me a rifle like the Tango 51, but with a really heavy barrel.
smile.gif

All of Mikes platforms make you become a better shooter. If you are not getting good groups, its not the rifle..

Mike does build a .17 HMR Green Hornet on the Ruger 77/17 platform. Give him a call and he will give you all the details.

I have been working really hard to read the wind and to build a better load. I copied Mike Millers load for the Tango and WoW does it shoot. I have been using the Nightforce program for about two years now. It has helped me become a better shooter and i can most of the time get a first round hit.

Like i said before, Mike sure does know how to build weapons. If your on the fence about the wait time. Order one! Its worth the wait....

Keefer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I wonder what kind of accuracy I would get if I had Mike build me a rifle like the Tango 51, but with a really heavy barrel.
smile.gif
</div></div>
Tiger,
Im sure Mike will work with you to make whatever rifle you want possible, but the Tango platform was designed to be a small package, short and lightweight. And it has the skinnier barrel and not the fat Tac Ops heavy contour for that reason, it was made that way to be able to be lugged around all day by LEO's. Again Mike will probably do it if you want, but it defeats the whole purpose of the tango.

Thank you, Savage. Obviously, I am not familiar with all the Tac Ops models, and their purposes yet.

Thanks, Keefer. Would you please tell me what Mike Miller's load for the Tango is? I have been using Federal match loads. Thanks.

Tigerhawk,

Here is the load that Mike Miller and I talked about. The only difference is I'm using GM210M primers and not CCI BR primers.

Lupua Case (Match Prep)Trimmed to 2.008 length
155g Scenar (Non Molly)
45g Varget
2.82" OAL
GM210M Federal Match Primers

I'm using Redding Type S - Match Die Set with a .335 neck sizing bushing.

Tactical,
What you posted is another load that Mike Miller and I talked about. I had tons of Varget on hand so that is what i used instead of H4895. I also seem to get better mean velocity(fps) with varget and it turned out to be an awsome load.

Keefer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keefer,

Tactical is Mike Miller. </div></div>

I caught that.....was just gonna let him run with it.

I usually go with 44-45 grains of H4895 and the velocity is usually better than 45 grains of Varget. H4895 is a faster powder.

Lastly Yes really 155s rock.

Mike Miller/Tactical

Sorry! I'm new around here.I never chatted with Mike M.on line, just talk with him on the phone. Mike M.(Tactical), thanks for the load info. It shoots awsome out of the Tango. You told me on the phone it would be a one hole load. It sure is. The 155's do rock.

Keefer

Tactical,
Have you ever used the 167g scenar bullets? I see the BC is higher on the 155's. (155's is .508 BC and 167 is .470 BC)
I wonder how the scenar will work as a hunting bullet on deer sized game? Does anyone have any experience with that? I only shoot out to 600 yards, so the 155's will work great for me. Just curious about the 167's as more of a hunting/deer round.

Keefer

I recently have been messing with some Lapua loaded 167s at they shoot fng great at short range 100-300 yards but have not shot at long distance yet. Thats a one hole load as well

Tactical,
What are your thoughts on the scenar as a hunting bullet? I know sierra doesn't recommend using the 168 as a hunting round.

keefer

I have read that sierra doesnt test the MatchKings for expansion. I never have used a Match bullet for deer hunting. I think this year I'm going to try the 155 scenar bullet.

I'm going coyote and paririe dog hunting in two weeks and plan on using the 155 scenar bullets. I will let you know how they work..

Keefer

I've had no problem with pass through and the exit hole is about big as a raquet ball I'd say. Never been an issue. this season I plan to take it out a long ways and see how it fairs out. I'm hoping to get some coyotes and hogs down before deer season so hopefully I can get some definitive longer range data from that

I'm heading to ND in two weeks.I cant wait to shoot the tango at coyotes and pdog's. I hope to get a few shots at pdogs around the 500 yard mark. I know the 155 scenar load will work great.

Trey,
Thanks for the info..

Keefer

Keefer,

I talked to Mike R, today and we were wondering, when is our mother in-law special is kicking in and do you ever have conversations with your clients and do they talk back??
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Nice rifle and great shooting, keep it up

William,
If you can talk Mike R. into building me a Tango in .223 for free! I will take care of your mother-in-law. lol We do offer monthly specials. We have the bring a friend program. The first pays full price and the second is half off. lol

I do get into some good conversations with my clients and no they do not talk back!!!!
Its like talking to yourself. You always get the right answer...

Thanks, Mike R. does build some nice rifles. The pictures of your builds I have seen here on the Hide look great.

Keefer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Keefer Wetzler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">William,
If you can talk Mike R. into building me a Tango in .223 for free! I will take care of your mother-in-law. lol We do offer monthly specials. We have the bring a friend program. The first pays full price and the second is half off. lol </div></div>

Yea, I have several "Friends" I'd like to include in that for sure. I'll see if I can round my Mother in-law up as well, I'll make the call to Mike, he'll be pumped.

Start the juice flowing Keefer, we're on the way
wink.gif

William,
Nice to see you have a great sense of humor...

The "Juice" is always ready. You can always make an "ass", I mean "ash" of of them. We also do cremations!

Keefer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Keefer Wetzler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">William,
Nice to see you have a great sense of humor...

The "Juice" is always ready. You can always make an "ass", I mean "ash" of of them. We also do cremations!

Keefer </div></div>

Full Service...............your gonna go far

Keefer, never used Scenars for hunting four legged game but I know many who say they are good to go for that purpose.

Am I the only guy who likes his mother in law? Heck I still like my ex mother in law.

One cannot argue with the results, but I'm surprised about them.

How is it that a handload can deliver superior results than the specific round the chamber is designed around? Given the point that the chamber (headspace) is created to such fine tolerances and concentricity to the bore, etc, how can a different round deliver better results? CLearly I'm missing something, can someone tell me?

BTW - great shooting, I can only aspire to the same level of skill when I get my Tango sometime soon.

FGMM is inconsistent. Have you ever measured runout on 100 rounds of FGMM or cracked about a couple of rounds and weighed powder or measured necks for variation?

FGMM is about the best there is in terms of consistency, but it is really not that great. A handloader can make better ammo... and this is exactly what handloaders do for every other gun out there, which is why it is a very rare concept for someone to build a factory rifle around a factory round. That said, building the rifle around the round is brilliant as people who do this for a living aren't allowed to handload even if they want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only guy who likes his mother in law? Heck I still like my ex mother in law. </div></div>

Not at all Mike, I love my mother in law...........thats why I want to take early advantage of Keefers special talent, I know he'll do a terrific job
wink.gif

Event, dont be surprized because making ammo to fit a chamber is easier than making ammo to shoot .25 moa with Factory ammo.

I just set my hand loads up to work with Tac Ops Chamber, tune powder charge until it shoots best it will through that bbl and then load and go.

By the way factory ammo shoots very well 300 and under but once you get to the 1000 yard line no manufacture of ammo can mass produce ammo as consistent for velocity as I have been able to. At a 1000 yards hand loads rule because 25fps difference between rounds at 300 yards is no big deal but at 1000 yards it drops out the bottom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have some 5 shot group pics of these great looking rifles. With my shooting luck its always shot 5 that for some reason does not want to hang with the others. </div></div>

I do a couple 5 shot groups for you from my X-Ray and well see how things go.

Great shooting and rifle. One minor comment, when measuring groups, if you want the true group size, measure the size of a single bullet hole in the paper and subtract that from the largest dimension of the group, instead of subtracting the bullet diameter (.308). The hole in the paper will not be as large as the bullet diameter. As an example I just checked the target from my last trip to the range and one hole measures about .2813 or .0268 less than the caliber. Not a big difference but when you are talking real small groups there is a difference.

3x shot groups at 100 yds. are for pussies. My 13 yr. old daughter can shoot 3x shot groups like that at 100 yds.

Lw

Lonewolf,
I have read a few of you other posts. Seems like you have an agenda with comments about Tactical Operations. Just for you(lol), I was at the range on Thursday and shot a few 5 shot groups from 100 to 300 yards. I will get photos posted tomorrow. Again they are amazing! As I would have expected with the Tango.

By the way Lonewolf, If your daughter is shooting those three shot groups with a tactical Operations built weapon. I can understand why she is shooting so well. Pass on to her from me, keep up the good work!!!!

Keefer

Keefer

Great Rifle and Great Shooting. Mike can build a hell of nice rifle!!!

Pics of little groups are kinda like killing a trophy animal....More people are jealous of you than happy for you..

Way to Go!!!!!!

I sure do agree with you!!!!

Thanks,
Keefer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonewolf&#8207;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3x shot groups at 100 yds. are for pussies. My 13 yr. old daughter can shoot 3x shot groups like that at 100 yds.

Lw </div></div>
Lonewolf, you need to calm your shit, and if your daughter is shooting groups like that at 100 then she needs to enter some competitions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psycho-82</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have some 5 shot group pics of these great looking rifles. With my shooting luck its always shot 5 that for some reason does not want to hang with the others. </div></div>

I do a couple 5 shot groups for you from my X-Ray and well see how things go. </div></div>

Thanks Psycho. I am very interested to see your results. I know they will be impressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonewolf&#8207;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3x shot groups at 100 yds. are for pussies. My 13 yr. old daughter can shoot 3x shot groups like that at 100 yds.

Lw</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lonewolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do have one more question about the rifle before I decide to call Mike after I get this rifle I am getting ready to start building.</div></div>

LW, Have you called Mike yet? If and when you do, he'll be able to tell you the merits and difference between a 3-shot group and a 5 five or any combination and permutation. Meanwhile, I'd love to see some groups your girl is shooting, she sounds like a natural!

yea, I'll admit it. I am one of the jealous ones. I envy your rifle. Great groups out of a great gun. I can't wait till I get my finances lined up so I can call mike and get in line

Hello Guys,
Here are some photos from this past Thursday at the range. Again the Tango performed wonderful. It sure is fun to shoot! I shot a few 5 shoot groups for Lonewolf (lol)! If it were not for my called fliers they would have been great groups.

Here they are:
1001.jpg

1004.jpg

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

Keefer

No! All are hand loads, using 155 Scenar and 45g of Varget. I also was testing some 168g Hornady AMax... With some work I think I will be able to get the Amax to shoot just as well as the Scenar out of the tango. I have Mike Miller to thank for the Scenar load...

Keefer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonewolf&#8207;</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #CC0000">3x shot groups at 100 yds. are for pussies. My 13 yr. old daughter can shoot 3x shot groups like that at 100 yds.

Lw</span>
</div></div>

Hi Keefer,

I just wanted to point a few things out for you humbly to avoid miscommunication. For one I never said anything about my daughter shooting 3 shot groups utilizing a Tac-Ops rifle at any time. Not that it would be harder for her to do. It would only make it that much easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Keefer Wetzler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lonewolf,
I have read a few of you other posts. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Seems like you have an agenda with comments about Tactical Operations</span>. Just for you(lol), I was at the range on Thursday and shot a few 5 shot groups from 100 to 300 yards. I will get photos posted tomorrow. Again they are amazing! As I would have expected with the Tango.

By the way Lonewolf, <span style="text-decoration: underline">If your daughter is shooting those three shot groups with a tactical Operations built weapon. I can understand why she is shooting so well.</span> Pass on to her from me, keep up the good work!!!!

Keefer </div></div>

For you to out and shoot 5x shot groups for me makes me feel special. But again it would make a lot of other people in here happier as well. In addition to that; I could care less about anything at 100 yds. Benchrest rifles do what your rifle is doing and better; but that doesn't mean I want one. It's obvious that your rifle is extremely accurate but as far as impression; it has none on me. I am most impressed with "the shooter" that can shoot off hand standing and hit 15" at 500 yds. That amazes me more than a 1 hole at a meezly 100 yds. That's just me speeking my friend. Some are amazed that a rifle can do that. Ultimately all I am saying is that badass rifle of yours doesn't make the shooter; and I know we both agree on that. Send me a picture of you shooting 500 yds w/ 5x shot groups from kneeling, off hand or standing so I can say wow.

I find it obligatory for me to respond to what your statement about my agenda about Tac-Ops. That could mean a couple different things depending on how the reader takes it in. So if you are insinuating that I have some sort of vendetta against Tac-Ops than you are far off. I dont know Mike.R on a personal level; I have only talked with him in the shout box. But I will say I have heard nothing but good and great from that end. As a matter of fact he offered to build me a .338 not long ago. So with that being said; I hope you mean agenda with the meaning of plans for the future with the goal of having a rifle built. You have to be careful with your choice of words especially when people can make bad assumptions like you did with my daughter shooting a Tac-Ops which she I never said anything about.

Everyone has an opinion as do I. I like <span style="text-decoration: underline">military</span> type rifles that are built to military standards because their is a reason for it. I don't particularily care for benchrest rifles because they have to be babied. Some like them some don't. Tac-Ops rifles kinda gives you the best of both worlds. An extremely accurate rifle with BR cability. Most would agree on that. If I had one thing negative to say about the rifle is that it's to damn good looking. Tac-Ops put's extra time making sure the rifle is top notch. I have read that over and over again. It's a decision proccess someone has to make depending on what they desire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">In response to your 5x shot groups; as you can see it's a little bit harder to accomplish than the 3x shot groups. But none the less they are still excellent shots</span>.</div></div>

Take care brother;
Lw