• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target is anti gun, please pass the word

mbandy13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2005
Fishers Indiana
A couple days ago a buddy of mine went to target to buy something, when he went to pay is ccw pistol showed, no big deal Indiana is an open carry state. He was asked to take his pistol to the car and then come back in to pay. Since it was their store policy. A couple days later I went in to ask a manager about it. She confirmed that it was a new store policy. So I told her in so many words that I would never ever buy anything from target again and that I would inform every gun owner I knew about their policy. I also told her if they were going to do that that they needed to put it on the front door and own it. I also told her that theses law abiding citizens might be the same folks that would help them in a robbery situation ect. Please join me in refusing to shop at target and telling everyone you know.

Thanks,
Mike

Don't think I'd have gone back in to pay. Let them pay their employees to put the stuff back on the shelf.

Isn't it pronounced "Tarje" (or some such spelling)? They're too high society to allow firearms in their stores.

I don't know what the laws on posting for firearms in Indiana are. In TN they must post every entrance with the no guns sticker in plain view. If the store is not marked and it was just the manager making the decision I would make Corporate aware of what is going on in that particular store. I do not know what the Target corporate stance is on the issue.

I've always wondered, if the 2nd amendment doesn't apply on private property, is the same true of the thirteenth?

I was shopping at Target last summer and was browsing through the dairy section when I came across Land-o-Lakes stick butter that was discounted 20 cents off. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was discounted 20 cents because it was 4 months past its expiration date. It wasn't the only one either. I haven't been able to take a Target seriously since.

So your buddy was carrying concealed, and somehow accidentally managed to bring the cashier's attention to his firearm?

Heard same a while back. I am sure they won't miss me.

Bonefish Grill is also non-2nd Amendment. No big deal either, but i will miss the bang-bang shrimp.

I looked on their website it is a nation wide thing. As he lifted his wallet out part of his t-shirt came so she could see part of it. But as I stated in my original post you can carry open in Indiana as well. I told him the same thing he should have told them to keep the shit, but he works for me and was grabbing something we needed at our store so he complied I sure as duck wouldn't have.

I looked on their website it is a nation wide thing. As he lifted his wallet out part of his t-shirt came so she could see part of it. But as I stated in my original post you can carry open in Indiana as well. I told him the same thing he should have told them to keep the shit, but he works for me and was grabbing something we needed at our store so he complied I sure as duck wouldn't have.

As a business, Target is trying not to alienate any particular group: pro-gun or anti-gun.

They are actually doing CCW/CHL permit holders a favor by not posting it as a no carry zone, as are a lot of other retailers. The moral of the story here is if you are going to carry concealed, make sure you can keep it concealed as you go about your business, and you won't run into any issues.

If only banks would do the same.

If you are asking a customer to take his gun out to the car in a state where he is free to carry openly then you are anti-gun flat out. They want to tip toe on the line. But the truth is they don't want the guns in their store. They want it to be a soft stance and try not to get noticed with it. If that is their position then it should be in bold letters on the door before you ever enter. Pussies.

I carry CCW in their stores no problems yet. To me CCW means concealed so I dont let anyone know that I am carrying.

If you are asking a customer to take his gun out to the car in a state where he is free to carry openly then you are anti-gun flat out. They want to tip toe on the line. But the truth is they don't want the guns in their store. They want it to be a soft stance and try not to get noticed with it. If that is their position then it should be in bold letters on the door before you ever enter. Pussies.
Un-freaking believable.

Target throws us a major concession (don't wave your guns in our face and in our customer's faces and we don't have a problem with you being armed) and you want them to post their stores as no carry zones.

We are often our own worst enemy.

ETA: tell your buddy to learn how to carry concealed.

+1

Additionally, I nearly always wear my Vietnam Veteran hat, and since I have some considerable debility, I also use one of the electric carts they provide if they are available. There has never ever been a visit where Target employees have not stopped their tasks and offered me assistance several times during my visit. IMHO, on the store floor where the rubber meets the road, Target's employees have never failed to treat me with the direct opposite of hostility. If that is not a deliberate and company supported policy, I don't know what would be moreso.

Plain and simple, commercial boycotts never work. By and large, their impact is several times less measurable on the boycottee than that which the boycotter self imposes. This is plainly the definition of cutting noses to spite faces.

One thing I'm sure of, I will be danged before I will allow a company's stupid policies to deprive me and mine of commercial opportunity. I will also be danged if I will allow an irritated individual's personal anger to co nvince me to do the same thing voluntarily.

Students of marketing strategy are familiar with the concepts of loss leaders and profit leaders. Loss leaders are products which are advertised and offered at a loss to the concern, in order to draw customers into their store where they can buy other 'profit leader' products that provide a profit. Profit leaders are ones which everyone has continuing need, and will buy where they are found, without loyalty to a specific concern. If I have a use for such products, I will not hesitate to avail myself of their eagerness to sell at a loss. If they are concerns which are hostile to my chosen interests, so much the better.

This is a big world and a lot of it is the USA. I would think that a whole big bunch of it is populated by folks whose values and intentions don't agree with mine. I could really giveash+t or shed a tear about that. I expect most folks to disagree with me, and for their disagreement to creep into their business policy.

Big whoop.

If I spent any time at all digging into who likes what and who's really stupid about it, I would consider it totally wasted time, and chalk that waste up as a victory for the idiots. I would rather put on my big boy pants and face my world unafraid of idiots and their misadventures. I refuse to allow my life to be driven by the idiocy of contrarians, or by the vociferous complaints of those who expend too much of their and my time with their noses too far into other peoples' business. What other people do is not my business until they make it my business on a one-to-one basis. This tends to make any response of mine a lot more efficient and/or effective.

A boycott is a knee jerk reaction; and I'd rather not get jerked around by somebody else's knee. I make my own choices, but thanks for sharing.

Greg

Last edited:

This is merely a REQUEST. Not a ban. It was to quiet the anti gunner crowd.

Target Won't Actually Say Anything If You Bring a Gun Into Their Store - The Wire

MBandy, I would reach out to Target corporate and have someone put in their place.

From your link:

However, Mr. Boggs and members of OCT can technically continue to carry whatever they please into Target stores, as long as the local law allows it. They will just be disrespectfully declining the CEO's request.

How very, very mannerly of you. You sound like a twelve year old playing at semantics in deciphering something that Mom said so that he can arrive at a justification for doing something that he knows deep down to be both wrong and against Mom's wishes. A request is a request. I can find somewhere else to buy my dog's kibble, albeit not as cheaply as at Target. But if that's the price that I pay to help them continue to deceive themselves into thinking that their locations are going to be any safer, so be it.

Dear mr. Langelis, let me start my response with thank you for your service. If you read the policy posted by target on their website, they don't want their customers with guns in their store concealed or open. Now if your ok with either ignoring their request and carrying anyway or you choose to disarm and go in that's your business sir. But I personally will not give a dime to a business that doesn't want me to carry. It is not a knee jerk reaction at all. I simply choose to not do business with them and go else ware. It's not like those same products can't be found in other places. And another thing I'm not telling you what to do I'm informing you of the facts, you can certainly do whatever the fuck you want to do. If you can sleep at night doing business with a company that clearly doesn't like gun owners, then that's on you sir. I look at a company like that as a company that can make large contributions to anti-gun organizations. So I'm not running around crying wolf, I'm doing what I know is right, for me at the very least, and informing what I thought were like minded individuals, clearly you are not one, so disregard and carry on sir.

Life is much simpler when you really conceal your handgun and then go about your business wherever you please.

you can certainly do whatever the fuck you want to do.

Thank you, sir; I already do, and did so since long before you decided to inform me of your views. Please have a better day.

I'm not only not OK with your current post, I am also very much OK with private companies expressing their own views about what they would prefer to happen on their own private property.

It appears you're not.

You're bitching about something that didn't even happen to you. IMHO, that makes you a busybody with his nose in your friends business, Target's business, and now mine as well. Did you even bother to ask your friend whether you should be blabbing his business on this site?

For the record, when you tell this forum "Please join me in refusing to shop at target and telling everyone you know", you are telling me and everyone else on here what to do. I'm repeating that I DON'T CARE TO. I'm not going to read anything on target's site BECAUSE I DON'T CARE TO. Stop telling me what to do!

If you got yourself a problem with that, you're riding in the same boat as Governor Cuomo telling me what I need to do and not do with my guns, or some NAZI/Klukker telling me I shouldn't buy from the Jews, Blacks, or Catholics.

My, and Target's, options are not subject to your approval. Take your exalted private and personal approval and stick it where the sun don't shine, Buster.

...And please refrain from thanking me for my service; your thanks are not welcome when they accompany those other denigrating remarks in your post. Wrapping yourself in the flag does not disguise the personal malice that is blatant in your post.

So I'm not running around crying wolf, I'm doing what I know is right, for me at the very least, and informing what I thought were like minded individuals, clearly you are not one, so disregard and carry on sir.
Did anybody here even f+cking ask you? Please spare us your unasked-for self justifications.

Who I am and what I do are also not subjects for your review or approval, and once again QUIT TELLING ME WHAT I SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT DO!

PLEASE!

Good grief, what opinionated assholes we tolerate preaching on this site! Folks who dare posting in contradiction to you get a frackin' harangue. You don't want to buy from somebody, fine, just save us the harangue. You want to get your shorts in a wad and drive past Target with your nose in the air, I think you could be onto something. Or not. Nether of our opinions counts for diddly here.

Next time you give me something to respond to, I'm responding by taking this discussion up with the Mods.

Greg

Last edited:
I've always wondered, if the 2nd amendment doesn't apply on private property, is the same true of the thirteenth?

If my thinking is right, the Second Amendment is not about whether the freedom is defined as having relevance on public or private property, but whether government may restrict said rights arbitrarily on either.

Private property owners are not even a part of that discussion (again, if my thinking is correct on the subject).

Imposing one's personal views, unasked and unwilling, on said property owner is NOT a part of that right. On their property, their views prevail, as well they should. If I don't like it, I'm not going there, and I'm certainly not supporting ostracism and ridicule by the masses, either. How others do is not my business, and not anyone else's but theirs, either.

Greg

Last edited:
1. Just because I choose to disagree with your opinion on a matter, I shouldnt thank you for your service, which is completely unrelated to the topic at hand, oh that makes total sense. You dont like my opinion on a topic, and think I should keep it to myself, yet you seem to have no trouble what so ever spouting off at the mouth your opinion, also makes tons of sense. You were the first to attack me sir not the other way around.

" I refuse to allow my life to be driven by the idiocy of contrarians, or by the vociferous complaints of those who expend too much of their and my time with their noses too far into other peoples' business. What other people do is not my business until they make it my business on a one-to-one basis."

you also managed to call me an asshole.

"Good grief, what opinionated assholes we tolerate preaching on this site!"

At no point did I do this to you but you want to bring it up with the mods, careful with the rocks there is a lot of glass around. This is the bear pit for gods sake, man up. you can stop reading and responding at anytime, you turned this personal not me. You also accuse me of being a busy body because I wasnt there, well I did go to target and ask them personally what their policy is regarding guns at their store. So I guess I got involved, so when your wife or family member has a bad experience with a neighbor or a store and tells you about it, because it didnt happen to you personally, it didnt happen, you go on being best friends with the neighbor, even though he insulted your wife, cause it didnt happen to you? Get real. Target can do whatever they want I just choose to do what I want regarding doing business with them, I thought I would make others aware of that situation. Sorry that I wasted your time with a discussion in the Bear Pit, cause you seem so busy.

OK, as usual, Phylodog makes the most sense. I'm taking down my unworthy response and I'm done with this particular exchange. If it means anything, I can accept that I flinched first.

Pax offered.

Greg

Last edited:
Knowing Mbandy for many years and having spent countless hours shooting LR with him I can and will attest that he is not an asshole. I have also had many conversations with GL over the years and don't believe he qualifies as an asshole either. Once again, communication via printed word fails to convey what would be painfully obvious if folks were standing in front of one another.

What I see is likely a rather large difference in culture. Here in IN, the "gun crowd" is pretty vocal and tends to share this type of information and come together on issues relating to firearms. We've been largely successful in our tactics and as a result there aren't many places where the right to carry isn't respected. If Target doesn't want people to carry in their stores that is certainly their right but I agree with MB that they should make it known and deal with whatever consequences that decision may bring, around here there just may actually be some. I personally think that intentionally creating a "gun free zone" is a horrible decision but they can do what they choose. I don't shop there so I don't have any skin in the game but should I find myself in need of something at their stores I'll keep driving to find someplace more friendly to what I believe is the American way of life.

My neurotic cat probably has a minor case of brain damage.

She's a rescue cat who had some considerable illness before she was rescued. She is also half blind due to an illness-induced cataract.

We think of her more as a "special needs kitty".

But she chose me, she's sweet, she's loyal, and she's unceasingly affectionate. She and her probably little sister will always have a home with us. My Wife insists she's a Chantilly, but I'm not so sure I see it since she has the Orange Tabby coloration.

But I may hear it. A cross, perhaps? Chantillies are reputed to sing and chirp in a unique manner, and Precious (not my choice of name, the pound's...), sure sings a different song.

Greg

Last edited:
I do remember when this came out a few weeks back and just after Target announced this the following weekend there were a couple of stories of people being mugged or car jacked at gun point in their lots. Maybe I can find the stories and while I felt bad for the victims but I will admit I also had a slight chuckle thinking of the irony.

If my thinking is right, the Second Amendment is not about whether the freedom is defined as having relevance on public or private property, but whether government may restrict said rights arbitrarily on either.

Private property owners are not even a part of that discussion (again, if my thinking is correct on the subject).

Imposing one's personal views, unasked and unwilling, on said property owner is NOT a part of that right. On their property, their views prevail, as well they should. If I don't like it, I'm not going there, and I'm certainly not supporting ostracism and ridicule by the masses, either. How others do is not my business, and not anyone else's but theirs, either.

Greg

As I read it, it says that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It doesn't say "except by mayors" or governors or store owners. But activist judges seem to think otherwise, so whatever. Granted, the property owner has the right to tell me to GTFO for any reason allowed by law, but it almost feels like the 2nd amendment adds possession of arms to the list of reasons not allowed by law.

Also, do cats exist that aren't neurotic? None that I've seen.

Lol gotta love the Hide. Start with a simple discussion, move to insulting each other with big 'ol fancy words and then name calling because we don't agree, then talking about neurotic cats. Ha.

Big freaking deal, get over it and shop where ever you want. Who cares what their gun policies are?! It's like refusing to fuel up at cheaper Citgo because it's owned by Venezuela...Yada, yada...

Target is anti gun, please pass the word

Jesus fucking Christ.

Ok so they don't want you to carry in there store your concealed. Shit goes down inside the store while your shopping. You take action if the threat approaches you. Then what happens?

It is private property. They have a right to control what you bring onto their property, don't like it shop somewhere else, or hide it. You do not have the right to ccw on private property, nor the the right to free speech on private property, along with a lot of other stuff. Be glad this is so, otherwise private property would no longer exist.

As I read it, it says that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It doesn't say "except by mayors" or governors or store owners. But activist judges seem to think otherwise, so whatever. Granted, the property owner has the right to tell me to GTFO for any reason allowed by law, but it almost feels like the 2nd amendment adds possession of arms to the list of reasons not allowed by law.

By George..., I think they've got it...!

Also, do cats exist that aren't neurotic? None that I've seen.

...Yes, I think they've really got it!

Lol gotta love the Hide. Start with a simple discussion, move to insulting each other with big 'ol fancy words and then name calling because we don't agree, then talking about neurotic cats. Ha.

...And this guy is the BOMB!

Last edited:
It is private property. They have a right to control what you bring onto their property, don't like it shop somewhere else, or hide it. You do not have the right to ccw on private property, nor the the right to free speech on private property, along with a lot of other stuff. Be glad this is so, otherwise private property would no longer exist.

and just to expound on the genious remark... Everything, absolutely everything, revolves around private property and ownership. Even gun ownership is considered a right becuase it helps you secure you own life and property. Wisdh i had more thumbs up for this one.

A man that understands the "Bill Of Rights!" Those protections are from the "GOVERNMENT!" With that being said...............money talks, and I guess I'm not a Target shopper!

So, if you work for a government agency that forbids weapons on their property, you gonna quit your job?