• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Teck Remote Target Video System *Review*

Re: Target Teck Remote Target Video System *Review

Unfortunately I've been through situations of sadness to see my hard earned money to go away without receiving the products they've paid. I am hampered by distance, I live in Brazil and the difficulty with the language.

But friends, I found this great thing, which would save me time in coming and going to give the targets. So I am a candidate to buy a unit as it appears someone you trust.

I thank the author of the post and alert the mechanic, I think I got rid of another LOSS.

Tried calling Ron before I went by his supposed shop address. He
does not answer his cell or his buisness line address. I went by
the address which seemed to be valid and it was across the street
from a gun shop I do buisness with. I asked the gun shop about Targeteck
and he said the address is for a mailbox only???

There is another gun shop in my town that Ron was supposed to bring
a unit by and never did. I think this guy is a flake. He does not answer his
cell or other buisness line on about 5 different occasions. His address
is quetionable there is just nothing I like about this company.

Just my 2 cents

Re: Target Teck Remote Target Video System *Review*

Hello all,

Just thought I'd let you know I ordered trom TargetTeck 4 months ago, still no delivery.
My last e-mail from Ron was on 20/11 saying,

<span style="color: #FF0000">"Just got the Li-Ion batteries in this afternoon to late to install and ship today will ship next week. Sorry for the delay. Our battery shippment was delayed in customs for over 2 weeks."</span>

I've ordered form the U.S. lot's of times before and it only takes 10-14 days for any purchase to get here in Oz. Well i'm still waiting. I don't want anyone spending there hard earned cash only to get nothing in return. Hence this post.

I've had a couple of hide members contact me about sourcing components for building wireless video systems (i.e. range/outdoor use) and game callers. If you want to build one, it's not too difficult. Basic soldering skills, electrical wiring tools and a multimeter are all you need.

I'm very please with the results of my system. So far I've used it out to <span style="text-decoration: line-through">600</span> 1000 yards and the images are crystal clear.

FWIW - I found the DVR to be very important for remotely reviewing target(s). When I'm shooting well, and my loads and equipment are dialed in, the groups get tight enough that being able to review each shot is very helpful.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">UPDATED</span></span>

Because I received a number of PM's on this subject I did some further distance testing on my home brewed unit. I learned that I can get a quality picture/image out to 1000 yards. I used image clarity and stability as my basis. Got too cold to test much beyond 1000 yards. However, I do know the image quality deteriorates with the undulating terrain combined with the additional distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a couple of hide members contact me about sourcing components for building wireless video systems (i.e. range/outdoor use) and game callers. If you want to build one, it's not too difficult. Basic soldering skills, electrical wiring tools and a multimeter are all you need.

I'm very please with the results of my system. So far I've used it out to 600 yards and the images are crystal clear.

FWIW - I found the DVR to be very important for remotely reviewing target(s). When I'm shooting well, and my loads and equipment are dialed in, the groups get tight enough that being able to review each shot is very helpful.

</div></div>

Since I have the basic soldering skills needed (Built a couple of Megasquirt systems for the cars a few years back) Could you provide some information of the parts and process you used to build yours?

Thanks
Wes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a couple of hide members contact me about sourcing components for building wireless video systems (i.e. range/outdoor use) and game callers. If you want to build one, it's not too difficult. Basic soldering skills, electrical wiring tools and a multimeter are all you need.

I'm very please with the results of my system. So far I've used it out to 600 yards and the images are crystal clear.

</div></div>

Since I have the basic soldering skills needed (Built a couple of Megasquirt systems for the cars a few years back) Could you provide some information of the parts and process you used to build yours?

Thanks
Wes </div></div>

The core components are the AV transmitter and receiver. 900Mhz, 1.2GHz, 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz are all workable and have price points between $50.00 - 200.00. The lower frequencies are better if there are obstructions/clutter between you and the target. The 2.4GHz units are normally fine for typical wide open range conditions. I wouldn't use anything less 700mW and the 2000mW for 1000 yards.

I used a 60 - 150mm box type HD security camera with Zoom & Variable focus. It's a little larger than a bullet style camera, but I wanted to be able to put up 6 12 x 12 inch targets and still be able to view .22 caliber bullet holes ($90 - 125.00).

A 12 volt 7 - 10" LCD type TV/monitor with separate A/V inputs ($50 - 150.00).

You'll need 12 volt batteries to power all the aforementioned equipment. I used sealed lead acid type (SLA) rated a 7 amp hours - mine setup will run all day.

Wire, connectors, On/Off switch, tripod, carrying case. Don't buy the case until you layout the contents of the components that go in it.

I bought what I didn't have off the internet - ebay primarily.

Feel free to PM me.

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/home.php?cat=270

This site has very good prices on amateur video systems that will work perfectly for long range target monitoring. They cater to remote control airplane enthusiasts.

The 900MHz A/V Transmitter, 500mW from Dpcav would work the best. I have one and it will easily work out to 1000yds. I also have a 1000 mW version that went a mile and a half without any trouble. The 2.4Ghz and 5.8 Ghz would probably require a directional antenna to get acceptable results. Doable, but the 900 Mhz systems don't need it.

The system X-Shot put together looks very nice. I doubt you could buy it for less than $800 or so.

Been out of town for a couple days- Xshot- thanks for the parts list. Very nice.

We've submitted a group of 7 orders to Ron last weekend.
2 orders have been paid and shipped.
1 order was paid yesterday afternoon, assuming it will ship today.
3 have money waiting and have not received a payment request (just asked in email if the payment requests were sent by Ron)
1 I have not spoken with.

When there is more to report on the buy, I'll let ya know.

Wade

Would like to see some people post up once they get their units. Then I might me interested, These dont look that hard to build either. thanks for the parts list.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dmay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello - I am one of the fellows from FCSA, in fact I started the thread Mechanic referred to. In a nutshell, I ordered a unit earlier this year. My credit card was billed and I recieved nothing. Ron stated he had no way to return my funds and I took it up with my CC company.(I should mention I'm from Canada) They credited my money, but told me it was temporary, pending they could get it straightened out....so far I have heard no more on that front. I did e-mail Ron a couple weeks back and stated that if he could assure me that he was square with my CC people, I would order a unit......he has not answered me so far.
For what its worth, I am pursuing other channels to piece together a similar system rather than risk any more effort on Targetteck. Being electronically challenged, its a struggle, but I plan to have something together by spring.
Sorry for being long-winded. Just wanted to pass on the facts. </div></div>

I was beginning to wonder about all the problems that uhcoog1 was having with this unit and then I visited the website! Enough said!.... Same goes for your problems.

I am going to have a friend of mine look into piecing this system out with cost and I will post back in the next couple of days. He has built lots of these for remote control cars used for SWAT teams etc. He should be able to come up with something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do believe getting this thing up off the ground is one of the key's to success. I think I'll get a cheap ebay tripod for when I'm not shooting at a target above a puller's berm. </div></div>

uhcoog1 - you're on the right track getting the transmitter up off the ground. Applies equally to the receiver too. I reviewed this thread to see what frequencies your unit is operating on and only found the reference to 900MHz and 1.2GHz.

If you would like, I'd be willing to run the calculations to determine the optimal height above the ground to provide maximum range. Sounds like your wanting 2000 yards... correct? I would need the frequency and transmitter output in Watts/dBm.

X-shot

Ron told me it is a 1.2 ghz 1.5 watt system. Thanks!

I'm going to be out of the country next week, for anyone that's following this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone built one yet? </div></div>

Yup, go to the first page of this thread - I posted a link there. It's toward the bottom.

I'm about to build a system that will go further, with less antenna height, and be FCC compliant using license free frequency bands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">X-shot

Ron told me it is a 1.2 ghz 1.5 watt system. Thanks!

I'm going to be out of the country next week, for anyone that's following this thread. </div></div>

The following information is intended to help users/owners of wireless video system better understand and utilize their equipment. Keep in mind a usable video image can be obtained at more, or less, distances and with lower antenna heights. What is <span style="text-decoration: underline">acceptable</span> is determined by each user's tolerance of a less detailed image, signal interruptions and flicker.

<span style="font-weight: bold">1 Mile (1760 yards):</span> Antenna height of 19.8 feet - flat level ground with zero obstructions.

<span style="font-weight: bold">2 Miles (3520 yards):</span> Antenna height of 28.4 feet - flat level ground with zero obstructions.

Note: Antenna height can be dropped the same percentage as the decrease in distance.

The above antenna heights (xmtr & rcvr) are computed using 60% of the total signal as unobstructed. This is generally accepted as the minimum needed to establish a <span style="font-style: italic">consistently reliable link. </span> Keep in mind the radio wave form is widest at its midpoint. The antenna height reflects this.

If one or both antennas are positioned on terrain higher than the terrain being spanned, by the signal, the antenna height can be reduced. Example: xmtr and rcvr on either side of a 20/29 foot deep ravine allows for a zero antenna height.

Hope this helps explain wireless video transmission at extended ranges.

X shot-

FCC compliant with range- tell me more? My understanding is less than .2 watts unless it has an FCC number on it.

Ron said his system is fine because it is on the digital spectrum and doesn't sit on just one frequency. Don't know about that.

I can't speak for Target Teck, but the 900MHz and 1.2GHz frequency bands are far more regulated (i.e. restricted use, power restricted or HAM license required above a few hundred milliwatts) by the FCC. I believe the FCC restricted much of the 1.2GHz band to Government and law enforcement, around 2008.

I stick with the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz unlicensed frequency bands. However, they are both limited to 1 watt of transmitter output and that power must appropriately reduced when antenna gain are above 6 dBi. Note - 5.8 GHz has some application specific exceptions to this rule.

My thought is I don't need any hassles from big brother. Even though 2.4 GHz is more crowed - 5.8 GHz far less so - our target range and field use tends to take us outside the conjested airwaves of urban areas.

If you want to give yourself a headache, google FCC regulations and review them for more specific information. The Fed's love to make thing more complex than need be
frown.gif

There are 900 Mhz frequency hopping spread spectrum transmitters that transmit at 1 watt and do not require a FCC license. Here is one company's products I've used. They would be much too expensive for just video.

http://www.esteem.com/articles/model-195es--900-mhz--ethernet-and-serial--spread-spectrum.html

I have no idea what the referenced transmitters utilize just saying it's possible they are legal without license. Speaking of licenses, there are millions of the high powered walkie talkies being used that for the high powered channels also require a FCC license to operate. I only know 1 person who ever obtained his license.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone built one yet? </div></div>

Yup, go to the first page of this thread - I posted a link there. It's toward the bottom.

I'm about to build a system that will go further, with less antenna height, and be FCC compliant using license free frequency bands.</div></div>
Keep me on a short list for that.

Xshot, would this ant. work better???? got it off e-bay $8.00.

25 dBi 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g Wifi Yagi Antenna RP-SMA WLAN

As long as you match the frequency and impedance (ohms) to the xmtr/rcvr, typically 50 ohms, give it a try. A 25 dBi will be highly directional (vertical & horizontal) so take your time aiming it.

Have fun!

*********Group buy is canceled.***********

If you want a unit, you can build, roll the dice with Ron, or buy one off someone who has a working unit.

Here is the result of the Test Batch - this was a bad audition:

oldgrayone - 1000 yard unit - did not receive a payment request, had trouble getting in touch with Ron, and then there were some discrepancies in email addresses used and if Ron received certain emails. Chose to not buy, sketchy situation.

Mudcat-NC - 1000 yard unit - received a prompt payment request, funded promptly, and received the unit in the correct amount of time (no tracking number given, though). The unit did not work for him, he was shooting black high power targets, and the resolution was not good enough to identify holes. Asked to return the unit, and ended up having to file a paypal dispute to get Ron's attention and get it returned. He did get a refund, but was out shipping.

dr petelr - 2000 yard unit - Prompt payment request, prompt funding, received the unit in the correct amount of time (no tracking number). The camera was hot glued, and broke within 2 minutes (the camera was hanging by the wires). Ron apologized, said somehow an old camera must have been used, because now everything should be clamped on. Pete returned it for a refund, I believe Ron was helpful and took care of the return in a timely manner.

ranger70 - 2000 yard unit - paid, received unit, and it works. Max range he has gotten so far is ~1200 yards.

oubeta - 2000 yard unit - paid, received unit, and it works. He had to focus the camera- why that wasn't done by Ron, we don't know. OU has not had the chance to fully test the unit, but it works and has been confirmed to at least 700 yards.

Chiller - 2000 yard unit - backed out before payment.

bigsky - 2000 yard unit - backed out before payment.

Fellas, if I've got facts wrong, let me know and I'll correct it.

uhcoog,

I received an impression quite a while ago from this thread, which seems to be further supported by your last post. Specifically, "great idea, but pretty sketchy in actual implementation".

In any case, I'd just like to say "Thanks!" to you for all your efforts on behalf of interested parties here at Sniper's Hide regarding these units. It may not have come to fruition the way we all would have liked, but none of that is your fault and I, for one, really appreciate the fact that you took the time to try and make it happen. Thank you sir!

uhcoog, thank you from the rest of the GB participants. Hopefully next time!

uhcoog1
I will say one thing. I have put on a couple of group buys and it can be challenging to say the least. You gave it a good try and you should be commended for the attempt. Don't let this sour you to putting on a group buy or even a different system by someone here. You only fault is not having enough info about a scoundrel and a thief. I was lucky enough to not be taken by him after many instances were talked about on the FCSA forum. Like I said it didn't get canceled because you didn't do your part.

uhcoog1

Despite how it worked out, I just want to thank you personally for all the effort you put in. Thanks again, and let me know if you do any future group buys.

Thanks,

Peter

uhcoog1 - you did your best. Too bad Ron didn't hold up his end of the deal.

Thanks guys.

Peter- thanks - I know you had probably the worst unit.

Xshot- we need to get together at some point and do a build post, step by step, so anyone can build a setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys.

Peter- thanks - I know you had probably the worst unit.

Xshot- we need to get together at some point and do a build post, step by step, so anyone can build a setup. </div></div>

I'm willing to help anyone that's interested in building a wireless AV system.

For those that invested in the "Target Teck" setup - you can improve image quality and distance by getting the transmitter antenna up off the ground... the higher the better. For 1000+ yards, consider replacing the transmitter antenna with a high gain (yagi, panel or patch) matched to the frequency. The receiver antenna may also need to be replaced to attain extreme distances.

Here's a thread of Hider's, building their own rigs, with lots of good info: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2315063&page=1