• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Teach Me About "Tactical" Lever Guns

For the original tactical lever gun, check out the video.

I kind of feel like Steve McQueen in "Wanted: Dead or Alive" had the original. If Henry made one that didn't have that crappy bright brass finish, I'd get it.

Blasers are really for rich homos. No straight working man would ever want a rifle that repeats exactly every time its disassembled and reassembled with just rough hand torquing, does so in a matter of less than a minute, has out of the box 1/2 moa accuracy with readily available barrels and bolts in over 100 calibers, has stupid fast reloads, is built to withstand double the chamber pressure of a normal bolt action, is hunting light, has a massive availability of stocks to fit every body type and preference (sexual preference i mean), is shorter than every other bolt action with the same length barrel because it doesn’t need a bolt body, etc etc etc… sounds like a real piece of shit.

I mean I’d buy one just to flex on the poors, but it’s still a rifle for wine sipping with their pinky up elitist Eurotrash who worship Kraut space magic.

I want one badly.

I kind of feel like Steve McQueen in "Wanted: Dead or Alive" had the original. If Henry made one that didn't have that crappy bright brass finish, I'd get it.
Go to their website, several different models of black, “case hardened” and others.

Reactions: shoobe01
Go to their website, several different models of black, “case hardened” and others.

I don't believe (and I may be wrong) that the centerfire versions only come in brass. They have 22 versions that are not.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm talking about the Mare's Leg.

Last edited:
If you like these, you're going to love tactical black powder pistols.

Think captain blackbeard meets Judge Dredd. Sometimes the smoke makes it hard to see, so the lasers are the most obvious choice. I keep cutting myself on the bayonets though, so it makes carrying them concealed a real issue.
Fun note about this- My local range has a black powder "tournament" called Squinty Eye every year. A hunters course with grouse, deer, etc steel targets set up along a trail. A few buildings with targets inside, a range with targets out to 300 yards of different sizes, all with black powder guns. Some of the courses are set up like 3 gun, but rifles have to be lever action, shotguns have to be hammer fired double barrels, or 1897 Winchesters, and you need two black powder single action revolvers. My cousins two revolvers of choice are 1847 Colt Walkers. He was in one of the building courses, and after a few rounds exited with the range master behind him, coughing the smoke out of his lungs :ROFLMAO: One woman shouts "That mans cheating, he's shooting two shotguns one handed!

This is one of those cases where we're all going to just have to agree that I'm right.

This is one of those cases where we're all going to just have to agree that I'm right.
Once again for the audience…. many bows have pic rails and you infer no one would put a pic rail on a bow…. Have a great day! I’m finished.

Fun note about this- My local range has a black powder "tournament" called Squinty Eye every year. A hunters course with grouse, deer, etc steel targets set up along a trail. A few buildings with targets inside, a range with targets out to 300 yards of different sizes, all with black powder guns. Some of the courses are set up like 3 gun, but rifles have to be lever action, shotguns have to be hammer fired double barrels, or 1897 Winchesters, and you need two black powder single action revolvers. My cousins two revolvers of choice are 1847 Colt Walkers. He was in one of the building courses, and after a few rounds exited with the range master behind him, coughing the smoke out of his lungs :ROFLMAO: One woman shouts "That mans cheating, he's shooting two shotguns one handed!
No, He was shooting two carbines single handed. 70g of fffg pushing a .458 diameter round ball is just a little lighter than the 45-70 BP load.
Now I want to visit and shoot that match, can I use an 1887 Lever-action Winchester Shotgun in it?

• Haha
Reactions: YoungBuck94
No, He was shooting two carbines single handed. 70g of fffg pushing a .458 diameter round ball is just a little lighter than the 45-70 BP load.
Now I want to visit and shoot that match, can I use an 1887 Lever-action Winchester Shotgun in it?
If you ever make it to northern MN in August, hit us up! I'm sure you can, I'd be very shocked if someone said no.

Once again for the audience…. many bows have pic rails and you infer no one would put a pic rail on a bow…. Have a great day! I’m finished.
I said no primate would go from a bow, to an AK and back to a bow just because he could put a pic rail on it.

Have a blast taking a $500 lever action, bolting $1500 in bullshit on it to make it look like it's worth $400.

Good day, sir!

I built this in part just to annoy the guys over on the Marlin forum:
IMG_1867.jpeg

The optic was a mistake - it just sits too high. Otherwise I really like that Primary Arms 2x GLX Prism, and I’m sure there’s an AR somewhere that will give it a home. I’m surprised how much I like the feel of the forend. However that forward cartridge quiver impinges on where my left hand wants to be. I’m going to try a minimalist hand stop to see if that helps. The adjustable stock is awesome and a cheek riser is incoming.

No real Marlins were injured during this exercise - just a Rossi R95 Trapper (16” .30-30). The wood was crap anyway. Is it somewhat silly? Yes. Do I like it? Hell yeah!

Besides, if I want to be classy I can just pull this out:
IMG_1369.jpeg

Reactions: Makinchips208
I said no primate would go from a bow, to an AK and back to a bow just because he could put a pic rail on it.

Have a blast taking a $500 lever action, bolting $1500 in bullshit on it to make it look like it's worth $400.

Good day, sir!
1701651032686.png

I'm going to be kinda off topic...but really not. I've been told that I talk a lot. Maybe I've got a lot to say.

First off, it seems to me that this forum, putatively open and designed for interested, thoughtful souls of all sorts to learn from all present, has a nasty side. And I don't understand it.

Knowledge is knowledge; it doesn't matter the source, not ultimately. Werner von Braun was a Nazi. Some smart Roman wrote, "De gustibus non dispudandum est." Matters of taste are not to be disputed. He/she/they--who knows?--was right then and right now. Maybe I'm a Fudd (after all, I'm 77 years old and actually knew Jeff and Janelle Cooper in their prime and went to their school several times). I was taught that liking or disliking things doesn't make someone evil constitutionally. Frankly, I don't care what any of you think, but I'd bet a big wad o' greenbacks (adjusted for inflation) that there are homosexual men (maybe women) on this site, probably some whose opinions have earned respect. That may sour your milk, but I don't care what they do privately, or publicly for that matter, if they can teach me something useful to me in my life. If how they see themselves and what they like to do with people they like a lot, or love, doesn't have anything to do with firearms, their use, and the related stuff discussed here, it doesn't and it shouldn't matter a tiny ball of dog feces. It shouldn't be a topic. It shouldn't color the value of the discussion. Ditto religion. Probably some atheists here. So what? Maybe some Muslims. Ditto. Doubtless, some black people. Once again. Likely some Jews. And...hold onto your lunch, 'cause barfing on your keyboard is a bad thing...probably some liberals. There're more of them into guns and shooting and self-protection and RTKBA than you'd suspect. If I understand its aims correctly, this isn't a discussion site for sociological or religious analysis.

Gentlemen and ladies, some of the comments above and in the other threads on "tactical lever action rifles" are puerile (showing off my vocabulary here) and more than intolerantly off topic. Some are, to be charitable, good natured ribbing, but some don't feel like it. Not at all. I'm probably a snowflake and, so, probably curdling my future relationships with some of you. Don't care. Some of you have been kind and helpful to me in the past. I figure that bodes well for the future, but I don't know that. I'm going to stick around. But c'mon, folks. Grow up. Act like real, educated, experienced, thoughtful, dignified, and, yeah, kindly adults. WWJD? Huh?

Now, to these rifles: Some of us live in quite un-permissive milieux (showing off again). Some tighter than others. If ARs and their kin are off the table, or made so clumsy their utility is degraded, then people have to turn to other things for similar purposes. If you're planning to start a war, then, yeah an AR and a chest rig and a plate setup and a ballistic helmet and NVG are a good idea. But for a defensive shoulder gun? Yes, probably the best option. But...if you can't, then what'll work as well as possible, and, equally important, probably more important, what's the best possible way to use it? And what won't draw undesirable attention? Some depends on where you live (house, apartment, urban, rural), and what threats you expect to face. But some depends on how you use what you've got or can get.

If Chris Costa and the folks at Gunsite are studying and teaching their most efficient use, and defining products that enable owners to become what we call operators, why, then, maybe, maybe there's something in this levergun stuff. Hell's bells, there're people who're carrying actual revolvers every day for defense and other folks who're studying old and developing new techniques for them. I've become interested in this topic for the reasons above. That doesn't make me a silly man (maybe, nay probably, lots of other things do). It makes me a thoughtful, serious firearms person with carefully considered reasons for my choices, and more than a half century of watching and living in the firearms world. I've seen crazes come and go--handgun metallic silhouette, for example. I'd never tell one of the devotés then or now that their field-impractical positions and perhaps some of their pistols are fatuous. After watching Mr. Costa's videos, and after reading Tom Marshall's story in Recoil about defensive training with gussied-up leverguns, they don't seem silly to me. Even if just for fun. As the Aussies say, "Each cat to his own rat."

As someone pointed out above, there must be a market for this "tactical levergun" gear; the manufacturers seem to be having trouble keeping up with demand. Henry and the current Marlin and Winchester are making old-style rifles and selling all they can make (apparently it's hard to find Marlin rifles), and there're newcomers.

Even all dressed up for a movie or a video game, lever guns still look less menacing than the blandest AR. With the right ammunition, they're plenty lethal; they're stoppers of whatever you worry about needing to stop. And that ain't unimportant if frontal lobes, rather than scrotal contents, are making perhaps life-altering decisions. Are they as fast as a semi-auto? Well, no, but they're faster than I'd have thought if run properly. And they can shoot a lot farther than the sixty-four yard shot mentioned in one of the threads.

I do talk a lot. 'Nuff said.

FWIW. YMMV. Hit me with your best shot.

dk