• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Temperature Sensitivity

wapiti16b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
New Mexico
In your experience what have been the least temperature sensitive powder(s) you have loaded for WIN 308 ?
Please list powders for the following bullet weights, also velocities along with barrel length.
155g
168g
175g
180g

Thanks !

That's 1 ! Hah !. I only started this post because where I live a Fall hunt can range anywhere between 75 degrees and 0 degrees.
I'm stuck for the time being with a 20" 1n12 twist FNH SPR with a horrendous bullet jump. I've been using BERGER 168g Classics & Hybrids and would really like to know what powder would work best with a 175g bullet. I am currently using IMR 8208XBR and it works fine for 155-168g bullets although velocity is a little lower than Varget but is more accurate within my guns limitations also I have 7lbs of it to burn up!
I've tried CFE223 with 178g ELDX and it was not bad accuracy&velocity wise. I have a fresh pound of Varget and will give it another try with 175s but would like more options if possible!
Thanks spife 7980!

Try Ar Comp. Very temp stable. I’ve shot it in the 90’s down to the 30’s and maybe seen a 5fps difference.

I saw this on accurate shooter forum today: The number next to some of the powders is the change in fps for every 1 degree. IDK how accurate these numbers are or what range they are accurate for.

PowderChargeTempChange.jpg

Reactions: fat7hogs
I saw this on accurate shooter forum today: The number next to some of the powders is the change in fps for every 1 degree. IDK how accurate these numbers are or what range they are accurate for.

Range? I would hope at the muzzle! I know what you mean though really ;)

Hmm, not too sure there. I have much different numbers than this - unfortunately not compiled in an acceptable format for posting. Then again, even lot-to-lot of the same powder can vary also.

Yeah I’d say .77 fps for every degree with Ar Comp is totally wrong. Without looking at what I have, I’d say Ar comp would be around .10. Varget and H4895 would be double those numbers. Xbr is higher too.

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldn't trust this. Not like it's dangerous load data - just not accurate. Experiment away!

I use 1.1 FPS per 1 degree F for Varget.

0.7 FPS per 1 degree F for H1000.

This is just the stuff that I remember off the top of my head (no access to my data at the moment).