• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tempest Builds..Lets See em

George said they worked with TT to build a trigger specifically for the Tempest. Also made modifications for the hangers since people were experiencing so many issues.

This was announced at SHOT last year.

Anyone have any additional data on this? I noticed that my first hanger .030, is very different than my others (.00, .010. .020) I bought to round out the set. It has a trench cut where the hanger screw goes requiring a much shorter screw. I still cannot get any of them to run with my Trigger Techs (regular, pro, or the new diamond). I desperately want to run my diamond on my Tempest if at all possible. I reached out to GAP about a special hanger, but wondered if anyone had any updates on here?

It wears a Kahles now but heres one... My PRC is almost done and it will be similar to this one (another Tempest).
IMG_4779.JPG

Reactions: V-Ref and 5RWill
Anyone have any additional data on this? I noticed that my first hanger .030, is very different than my others (.00, .010. .020) I bought to round out the set. It has a trench cut where the hanger screw goes requiring a much shorter screw. I still cannot get any of them to run with my Trigger Techs (regular, pro, or the new diamond). I desperately want to run my diamond on my Tempest if at all possible. I reached out to GAP about a special hanger, but wondered if anyone had any updates on here?

I’ve got a diamond in mine. Using the 20 hanger, no issues so far. Just check FP protrusion, should be between .180 - .190. (Mine sits at .185)

I’ve got a diamond in mine. Using the 20 hanger, no issues so far. Just check FP protrusion, should be between .180 - .190. (Mine sits at .185)

Thanks for the update. TT will not work with any of the 4 hangers in mine. I'll order another set of hangers from GAP tomorrow in case they made changes/improvements. The first hanger that came with my Tempest (very early serial number) is cut very different than the other 3 I ordered later on. As it is now, the firing pin releases when the bolt closes with any of the 4 hangers. Hopefully new hangers will fix this. Thanks for the info again. Glad to hear it's possible with a TT Diamond.

Thanks for the update. TT will not work with any of the 4 hangers in mine. I'll order another set of hangers from GAP tomorrow in case they made changes/improvements. The first hanger that came with my Tempest (very early serial number) is cut very different than the other 3 I ordered later on. As it is now, the firing pin releases when the bolt closes with any of the 4 hangers. Hopefully new hangers will fix this. Thanks for the info again. Glad to hear it's possible with a TT Diamond.

NP, I’ve got 2 tempests, I’ll check later as one is an early action and the 2nd is newer and I’ve got the diamond on the newer one.

Reactions: 6point5CM
Thinking about moving to TT myself. I have a standard laying around. The huber is hard for me to get used to.

Just a thought.... any of you try the BulletCentral hanger with the TT? If I remeber right they made that hanger specifically because the Bix N Andy sear was too low and this fixed it. If the sear on the TT lets the FP go with any of the hangers it sounds to me like a sear height issue. None of the hangers address this that GAP produces.

Reactions: 6point5CM
Just a thought.... any of you try the BulletCentral hanger with the TT? If I remeber right they made that hanger specifically because the Bix N Andy sear was too low and this fixed it. If the sear on the TT lets the FP go with any of the hangers it sounds to me like a sear height issue. None of the hangers address this that GAP produces.

No, but I'll definitely check into that. I'm calling GAP in the AM, and will ask about this hanger. But hic28 above sounds like his is running them OK on the .020 hanger. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
No, but I'll definitely check into that. I'm calling GAP in the AM, and will ask about this hanger. But hic28 above sounds like his is running them OK on the .020 hanger. Thanks for the tip.

Pro tip:

394CDD34-F814-4B39-9501-034CE1BC92EC.png

Reactions: 5RWill
If i head home this weekend i'm going to drop my TT Standard in my Tempest with the .20. I placed 5 spots from last two weeks ago at providence and was a bit humbled and salty thinking it was me. I shot this past weekend at a makeshift match with a good friend of mine using his .223 trainer, dropped maybe 8 points between 5 stages and cleaned one. Dunno whether it was my dope or what but i'm about to put the Huber up to fund a Diamond or another special.

Built by American Precision Arms

GA Precision Tempest Chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua

Manners PRS2 W/ Gen 2 Mini Chassis (AW Mags) Badlands Camo

Bartlein 26" Medium Palma 1:8’ Twist

APA Little Bastard Brake

Timney Calvin Elite Trigger (24oz)

Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56mm F1 MOAR Reticle

Nightforce UltraLite Medium Rings

Accuracy First Scope level

View attachment 6883905

Kevin i'm curious did Jered have to remove any material off the Minichassis like they had to for my T4A? I'm considering moving to a PRS2 as i like the flat end better than the butthook.

Last edited:
So will the special go down to a 1lb with the Tempest given the right hanger? Or do i need to go to the diamond?

Not sure about the special, the diamond was under a pound right out of the box into the hanger and on the rifle.

I did have to file on the mini chassis a bit to let the safety travel the whole way

68C7F2B1-F462-4012-89C0-6C1031857961.jpeg

Probably just go with the Diamond. I hate that i have to file again but i ran into that issue when i was waiting on the Huber and thought i could use the standard as a backup, it was no go.

Finally put her together.

26" mullerworks 7.5 twist
6.5x47 lapua .167 freebore
Krg whiskey 3 gen 6
Area 419 hellfire brake
Badger m40a3/5 rings
Vortex razor g2 4.5-27x56
Bix'N Andy TacSport single stage

Only shot 3 test rounds out of her but damn....that hellfire brake is something else. Recoil feels less than my brake 19lb 6creedmoor. Was spotting my hits at 150yrds.

Attachments

• 20180415_112656.jpg
    20180415_112656.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 124
I love the hellfire. Got a TT Diamond on the way. Giving thought to putting my T4A up to try and fund a PRS2, i find i like the flat base on my EH1 more than the hook on my T4A.

I can never feel like i get the stock in my shoulder good enough without a hook. I just jam the bag or my hand in the hook and angle it back to keep it pressed in my shoulder. Never found the slope all that beneficial.

Good to hear about the swift creek guys. My buddy just picked up a cert for a barrel job and ive never heard of them.

Got off the phone with GAP. After working with several of their guys over the last week (ALL very helpful), they passed it to George. Sounds like I have an early TT Diamond with a .028 sear drop, which they did to mirror the B&A sear drop on early diamond models for increased lock time. The COA's are use the B&A trigger hangar which is basically a .020 hangar with a .028 shim to get the sear to the right height, or to call TT and swap for a current model with the standard Rem 700 sear height. Just wanted to pass along for anyone else trying to run a TT Diamond and having issues. Take it with a grain of salt...have not spoken to TT about any of this. I went with the B&A hangar route since I have multiple triggers in this same boat.

Yeah this is my fourth trigger. I've now had a Timney, BnA, Huber, and now TT. I'm picking up the Diamond tomorrow wont get back home to install it for another three weeks though.

Update to my post above, the B&A trigger hangar was perfect for the TT Diamond version that I had (the one with .028 lower sear). Finally, my Tempest is running the way I want it to.

On a positive note, there were 3 Defiance and 1 Surgeon in camp with me and we all spent a lot of time on each others gun working the bolt, dry firing, etc... and every one agreed the Tempest had a significantly easier bolt lift. It was at least half, we were very surprised. Their smiths told two of them not to get the Tempest because the lift would be so heavy being 60 degree throw. They were frustrated for sure after feeling it. Granted, my Tempest has a lot of rounds, cycles, dry fires, and polishing done to it. We tried to measure the pound lift but batteries were dead on my trigger pull gauge.

Anyway, this thread rocks. Appreciate the help along the way. Tempest picture included. Specs in sig.

Attachments

• Tempest_RockLake.jpg
    Tempest_RockLake.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 142
I’ve got the diamond on a .020 hanger. Cam on close is tougher than the Huber was. Though the Huber with the 0 hanger had the best cam on close I’ve felt. This reminds me of the Timney least in feel.

How do you tell which sear you have? I might order the B&A hanger just to try it out.

George told me you can tell by looking at it on the side profile. It should be basically just above the red aluminum. If it's even or below, it's probably the dropped sear version. But, if yours runs it is probably the rem 700 standard model. Mine would drop the firing pin as soon as the bolt closed until I put in the B&A hanger which is essentially the .020 hanger with the sear offset built in as well.

Mine doesn’t drop the firing pin. Though I’ve just been dry firing it. The barreled action is laying on my bench. Probably let my brother use it in his MPA while we wait on his build and my PRS2 to be done

Mine doesn’t drop the firing pin. Though I’ve just been dry firing it. The barreled action is laying on my bench. Probably let my brother use it in his MPA while we wait on his build and my PRS2 to be done

Love my PRS2, but it took some time! That's what mine is in now. I swap between that and a KMW Sentinel.

Love my PRS2, but it took some time! That's what mine is in now.

Good taste. I want a prs2 for my 6.5 but I just bought a .300wm AXMC and 7-35 so I’m toast for a bit on another stock

Just now saw your pic 6point, making me reminisce about my GAP camo lol. I went with Elite Swamp this time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan0317
Very capable system. This is actually smoother with a lighter bolt lift than the first tempest i built. Just makes you want to run it hard its so smooth/fast. Downside to that is it FLINGS brass like no ones business.

Attachments

• IMG_20180505_222756_336.jpg
    IMG_20180505_222756_336.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: M338
Very capable system. This is actually smoother with a lighter bolt lift than the first tempest i built. Just makes you want to run it hard its so smooth/fast. Downside to that is it FLINGS brass like no ones business.

I lost 3 pcs at the last match i was at due to this. Hell half the time the RO was catching my brass lol. I also probably didn’t bother to look much as i damn near came in last and my ego was a bit struck.

I lost 3 pcs at the last match i was at due to this. Hell half the time the RO was catching my brass lol. I also probably didn’t bother to look much as i damn near came in last and my ego was a bit struck.

I lost 3 also in the first 2 stages. I wasnt looking far enough out apparently. Was a good 2 paces farther then everyone else's brass.

Is anyone running a 6 dasher in the tempest,how do you think it would work.
I have a bighorn 6 dasher but I much prefer my tempest action and wonder if I should spin a barrel up for it.

I have a bighorn 6 dasher but I much prefer my tempest action and wonder if I should spin a barrel up for it.

George posted a video on FB a while back of him cycling 10 dasher rounds out of an AW mag with Dan Hanson’s follower kit without issue.

George posted a video on FB a while back of him cycling 10 dasher rounds out of an AW mag with Dan Hanson’s follower kit without issue.
Thanks,I’ll look it up.
I think I’ll just order a barrel and give it a go.

I

I’m on my second tempest and 4th dasher barrel. Current one chambered by South Indiana precision. It works perfectly, go for it.

To the chassis? Nope drops right in.

Gotcha. I got it in today and set it up for my brother. Gotta talk to the previous owner and source some action screws though. Do love these chassis. By far my favorite i've used. A little heavier but will certainly get the job done while i wait on the PRS 2.
IMG_0149.JPG

Reactions: kevinsachs
Finally got to the range to run and sight in the tempest!The weather wasn’t playing fair, off and on light misty rain but I’m really pleased it shot some great groups with factory FGMM 168 and 185 jugs.
704885F7-7798-4299-805F-F75357960EE2.jpeg
B407B1F1-F2B2-438D-B1E7-8965BB7C2B4A.jpeg585FDE3F-60F7-4CFE-A532-585DF7F4CC5D.jpeg
5 shots@200m

Reactions: kevinsachs
Manners PRS-1 with the MPA bottom rail
Tempest Nitrided
6.5 26" Proof
TT w/Flat Shoe

Out of the country at the moment so I haven't seen it or weighed it yet.

Manners PRS-1 with the MPA bottom rail
Tempest Nitrided
6.5 26" Proof
TT w/Flat Shoe

Out of the country at the moment so I haven't seen it or weighed it yet.

That is a beautiful piece of kit.

Love the core customs finish. I'm waiting on my PRS2 and K525i figured the K525i would've shipped by now.