• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Terminus Actions

What are the bolt shroud, bolt handle, and cocking piece made of? My guess is the bolt and action were DLC treated in different batches. And that is why there is a discrepancy. But sure... maybe it's because of the different materials? But looking at photos of other actions, I don't see the same thing.
Off the top of my head I can’t remember but they could be aluminum

Well they are all the same deep black color. So if the underlying metal type matters...
Turns out @Pat McGroin was correct. I text Joel for you

A6682035-15AC-4662-A65F-50480F408338.jpeg

Interesting. I don't really mind the different colors. But it would be cool if that information had been disclosed up front.
You’ll probably find that variation fades pretty rapidly after you put a couple hundred rounds on it and some cleanings.

Reactions: iceng
Finally got my Zues QC put together in 6.5 CM. Took 20 rounds of Hornady 140 gr Eld-m and 20 rounds of Federal 140 BTHP to the range to break it and me in. Probably not smart to adjust and feel out a new chassis at the same time as a new barrel, action, bipod, trigger...etc, but oh well. I wanted to get things fleshed out before starting load development and see what the bore looked like for cleaning after 40 rounds.

After 20 rounds, it and me were finally adjusted and settled, so I tried an experiment since this IS a QC action. I shot 5 rounds of each, then loosened the QC screws, broke the barrel free (just half a turn), snapped it back on, torqued the QC screws, and shot 5 more. NO POI SHIFT! Action is bedded in a MDT ACC with Marine-Tex. I did not remove the action from the chassis when i broke the barrel free.

And no noticeable copper fouling. Barrel is a 26" Bartlein LH gain twist 8.25-7.5. Chambered by Bugholes.

Add: I think I might still have the target. I'll post pics of it and the rifle soon.

Edit:

As promised... Pic of current set up.

20221225_121910.jpg

Pic of Federal and Hornady 5 round groups on same target after resetting barrel.

20221227_143131.jpg

Pic of settled upon load. 5 rounds @200 yards.

20230111_172034.jpg

Last edited:
Recently finished my night hunting setup on an Apollo

- Terminus Apollo
- Manners LRH with 10” Arcalock rail
- 20” proof 6cm 7.5 twist done by Bugholes
- Triggertech diamond flat
- Hawkins M5 DBM
- MDT AICS mag
- Iray Bolt TH50C
- Currently using a Nomad-L while I wait for my 6” titanium

15D639E7-6D10-458D-A4C8-3A8DD3B044B4.jpeg
CEEB701B-6D36-495E-819D-73117F7CC657.jpeg

You’ll probably find that variation fades pretty rapidly after you put a couple hundred rounds on it and some cleanings.
While the finish might be affected, a QPQ (nitriding process) will harden the actual metal surface to a depth of about .01" or so. The DLC is a surface coating.
I'm not saying one is better than the other.

I am really considering a Zeus SA QC. The primary caliber I’d run would be 6.5PRC. Does anyone have any experience with 6.5PRC with their Zeus? Just curious about any mag issues and if the barrel set screws ever back out or fail? I’m sold on the Zeus just wondering if I should do QC or full threading.

I am really considering a Zeus SA QC. The primary caliber I’d run would be 6.5PRC. Does anyone have any experience with 6.5PRC with their Zeus? Just curious about any mag issues and if the barrel set screws ever back out or fail? I’m sold on the Zeus just wondering if I should do QC or full threading.
QC and don’t look back

full thread all the way

Reactions: Pete B
Edited my post above. Added pics and info as promised..... albeit late.

Well I decided on qc. I called Terminus and spoke to someone and was told the Zeus was designed around short magnums so 6.5PRC will be no problem and if there is any issues they will back their action 100%. So far I’m extremely impressed with Terminus and I don’t even own an action yet

Reactions: SniperBro
Finally got everything to finish setting up my Kratos Lite

Proof 22” 1:8 done by bugholes in 7 PRC
MDT HNT 26
Nightforce NX8 4-32x50
Triggertech Diamond Flat
Hawkins Ultralight Rings
MDT mag
Waiting on Dead Air Nomad-Ti

View attachment 8077737
View attachment 8077739

I just finished an identical rifle only difference being a Zeus SA QC, Vortex LHT scope and 419 hellfire brakes. 24" 6.5PRC, 22" 6.5CM and 22" 6GT proof barrels.

It weighs 8.7 Lbs without a mag or bipod and with the 24" 6.5 PRC barrel.

If anyone is wondering, the HNT26 stock covers the quick change set screws on the SA Zeus QC. I'm probably going to machine a little notch or holes in the chassis to remedy this.

Reactions: Rockfish Dave
I just finished an identical rifle only difference being a Zeus SA QC, Vortex LHT scope and 419 hellfire brakes. 24" 6.5PRC, 22" 6.5CM and 22" 6GT proof barrels.

It weighs 8.7 Lbs without a mag or bipod and with the 24" 6.5 PRC barrel.

If anyone is wondering, the HNT26 stock covers the quick change set screws on the SA Zeus QC. I'm probably going to machine a little notch or holes in the chassis to remedy this.
Thanks, putting together a similar build. I suspected as much regarding the QC screws being covered so nice for get confirmation. Now I know what I am dealing with.

why would it be any different than any other 223 barrel on any other action?
I had one that wouldn’t shoot till the bolt was swapped by bugholes. Had a LOT of money and time tied up in barrels/scope/stock/silencer x2 and all the ammo I wasted.

Body has a shop thar cuts barrels etc. Had same issue. Put a 308/65 bolt in gun would shoot lights out

Just wanted to see if others had the same issue.

I got my action last year and have put less than 400 rounds through it. I have kept a light film of oil on the bolt body and some grease on the lugs. After I went shooting for the second time I noticed some wear on the body near the handle and a couple spots on the fluting as well as on the lugs. Is anyone else having wear like this on their bolt? Or is this just normal wear for a bolt.

Attachments

• 20230220_175110.jpg
    20230220_175110.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 20230220_175058.jpg
    20230220_175058.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20230220_175050.jpg
    20230220_175050.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 123
  • 20230220_175104.jpg
    20230220_175104.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 128
I have about 50 rounds on mine and am showing a little more wear on the bolt body and maybe a little less on the lugs. My lugs aren't wearing in the corners like yours, but rather in the middle.

I assume it's somewhat normal as DLC coatings are pretty thin... I thought mine was wearing a little quickly however. I also keep. it lubed properly.

Reactions: Soul_Reaper
I have about 50 rounds on mine and am showing a little more wear on the bolt body and maybe a little less on the lugs. My lugs aren't wearing in the corners like yours, but rather in the middle.

I assume it's somewhat normal as DLC coatings are pretty thin... I thought mine was wearing a little quickly however. I also keep. it lubed properly.
I have one lug that has wear in the center and the corners look fine. I keep a thin film of oil on it but I'm gonna give the BoreTech Qwik-Dri Lube a try to see if it helps slow the rate that the finish gets worn off.

It’s a little tricky to capture the wear - sometimes the lighting will make it look worse than it is and sometimes you can’t see it in the pic.
Here’s a shot of the underside of the bolt.

Attachments

• 7548484B-15DB-47CB-BD2B-73D4C0815451.jpeg
    7548484B-15DB-47CB-BD2B-73D4C0815451.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 79

If your showing wear on DLC after 50 rounds I’d have the coater or oem take a look.

Reactions: kthomas and Oryx
It’s a little tricky to capture the wear - sometimes the lighting will make it look worse than it is and sometimes you can’t see it in the pic.
Here’s a shot of the underside of the bolt.

Without seeing the gun, it looks like the mag is sitting a little high and the lips of the mag are pushing/rubbing on the bottom of the bolt. Also likely means it has uneven pressure on it when being cycled and going into battery.

Keep the action and bolt clean and oiled, make sure nothing is rubbing when you move the bolt back and forth and close it with the magazine in. Only way to keep something brand new looking is not to use it.

In my experience, the bolt will show some wear initially, but will pretty much stop once those high surfaces have create clearance through use and friction. Here is one of my bolts that has probably 7-8k rounds on it. Some in pretty dirty and harsh conditions.

Attachments

• 20230220_193607.jpg
    20230220_193607.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20230220_193659.jpg
    20230220_193659.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20230220_191805.jpg
    20230220_191805.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Reactions: Oryx
I got my action last year and have put less than 400 rounds through it. I have kept a light film of oil on the bolt body and some grease on the lugs. After I went shooting for the second time I noticed some wear on the body near the handle and a couple spots on the fluting as well as on the lugs. Is anyone else having wear like this on their bolt? Or is this just normal wear for a bolt.
I would say that’s pretty normal, but consider yourself lucky. I got a bad batch of dlc (super easy on and has since been changed manufactures) and I have so much dlc gone!!!

If your showing wear on DLC after 50 rounds I’d have the coater or oem take a look.

Have done quite a few actions with both dlc black and fde. FDE wears faster, but both wear. Don't expect a miracle, it's a coating and will show wear.

Same goes for the nitride case hardening. However the nitride is smoother of the two..

Last edited:
My ship times for a Short action ordered first week of November, received at FFL December 2nd.

My CIP Long Action was ordered at the same time and i am still waiting.
I think I'm about 5 weeks into my lead time on a full thread LA zeus. I believe Joel told me 8 weeks or so but I can't recall.

What’s everyone running as far as bore guides? Collecting parts for my Zeus but current ones I have will not fit.
May end up ordering a custom PMA but didn’t know if a off the shelf option was available.

Reactions: Ichi