• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes The agony of choosing !!!

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Ok , guys ... I ordered the rifle , which is on the way and arriving in 3 days , got the accesories also on the way (Karsten, Seekins rail, bolt handle, two 10rds mags) and now I got to the scope choice . Since I am on a budget and looking for the maximum bang for the buck , I thought of the Vortex PST 6-24x50 scope . It goes for around $700 (I think I can search for a better deal) on the SFP model .
Initially I thought of the Millet TRS-1 4-16x50 but the reviews scared the shit out of me so I looked at the SS 16X42 and the Vortex . Which would be a better scope and a good value ? I can go around $700 tops for now , so no US optics or NFs . I can use some advice here ... Thanks

Re: The agony of choosing !!!

I have run the 16x SS and felt it was a decent scope. If you have a $700 dollar budget my suggestion is save up another 400 and buy a used basic Night force NXS from the WTS section here. A 3-15 Nxs used would be ten times better than the other scopes you mentioned.
Just my two cents.

I am inclined to the PST 624S1M which is a SFP with a mil reticle and .10 mil turrets ... but I am open to different ideas

I`ll be using the scope for range use only ... no hunting and mostly at 100, 200 and 300 yards (that is the capacity of the range I use) and , later on , increase it to 500 yards or more , but that will be when I move to a another state , perhaps late next year , if things go well .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: josey88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I`ll be using the scope for range use only ... no hunting and mostly at 100, 200 and 300 yards (that is the capacity of the range I use) and , later on , increase it to 500 yards or more , but that will be when I move to a another state , perhaps late next year , if things go well . </div></div>
If that's the longest you'll be shooting, I don't see the need for the 6-24 power you mentioned in the 1st post (unless you're shooting at tiny bullseyes). In your price range, the SWFA SS 3-9x sounds like a top consideration.

Buying an optic is only agonizing when you don't have the cash to buy what you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skep_tic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buying an optic is only agonizing when you don't have the cash to buy what you want. </div></div>
Exactly (lol)...
And yes , I use small bullseyes .

I was looking in the same price range a month ago. I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and get my dream scope (a US optic) I haven't recieved it yet as it took me a bit to put down my 50% payment to get it started. However right after I did I got to get behind almost the exact same model scope that I ordered and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

HOWEVER if you just can't save up for it then any of the SS line will serve you well.

Good luck,
Merritt

I have been looking at the SS 5-20X50HD and it seems awesome . Of course it is $1500.00 ... I`ll see what I can do . Perhaps I can save some more and get the SS . I like it

If it were me, I would buy the SS 3-9 scope right now. You can get them for $500 or less off the Sample List or the EE. Save up your pennies while you train with the SS. Once you are comfortable at the shorter ranges/ have access to the longer ranges, take the pennies you saved up and purchase the awesome scope you have always dreamed about.

SS 3-9 or ss 10 x will work for 300 yards no problem and you never lose a lot selling a SS here, if you decide to upgrade sell the SS here and upgrade when you move. Otherwise get the vortex!
Im in the same boat trying to decide on a rimfire optic it is so hard to choose!

SS 3-9 or ss 10 x will work for 300 yards no problem and you never lose a lot selling a SS here, if you decide to upgrade sell the SS here and upgrade when you move. Otherwise get the vortex!
Im in the same boat trying to decide on a rimfire optic it is so hard to choose!

Well, I have been studying the whole thing and after considering all advices and opinions , I think I am going to go for the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 SFP . I would be doing range use so I won`t need the FFP . This scope will do for me for now , and I won`t have to break the bank . If later on I find that I can upgrade , then I`ll sell it and will get the dream scope ... problem solved .

Get the Vortex Viper PST 4-16, they are an amazing scope. Right at budget at $700. I have a PST 4-16 on my 308 and I just got a PST 2.5-10, both have great eye relief and are top notch.