The AR15 Picture Thread

MSTN

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
MIDDLE OF ARIZONA
MSTN.BIZ
Best quality components always produce best quality results. These are all best quality parts: Battle Arms Development (aka "BAD") 556-LW billet receiver set combined with BAD-CSS-P VERT Pistol Brace System complete with Gear Head Works Tailhook Mod 1.... no finer pistol brace in the world! Criterion Core 10.5" chrome lined barrel with Wylde chamber and SLR adjustable gas block. Feed ramps contoured and polished. Headspace checked with PTG gauges. BAD 9.5" RigidRail forend. Surefire 5.56 WarComp. Geissele Airborne Super Charging Handle. MSTN DLC coated bolt carrier group with Young Mfg. bolt carrier and JP enhanced bolt. TriggerTech 3.5 LB competitive trigger on V Seven titanium fire control pins. BAD EBC Enhanced Bolt Catch. BAD mag release with BAD extended magazine button. DHD DLC coated SS push pins and short throw safety. Magpul MOE K2 pistol grip and 30-RD magazine. Weight 5 LB 9 OZ.

IMG_8918.jpegIMG_8917.jpegIMG_8916.jpegIMG_8919.jpegIMG_8920.jpgIMG_8921.jpegIMG_8923.jpegIMG_8915.jpegMSTN logo-lg.jpg

Last edited:

PBWalsh

Isaiah 40:25-31
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
@MSTN

Why do you prefer the Tailhook over the SBA-3? Planning a pistol in the future at some point and am currently set on the SBA-3.

steelcomp

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2009
N/E TN
Best quality components always produce best quality results. These are all best quality parts: Battle Arms Development (aka "BAD") 556-LW billet receiver set combined with BAD-CSS-P VERT Pistol Brace System complete with Gear Head Works Tailhook Mod 1.... no finer pistol brace in the world! Criterion Core 10.5" chrome lined barrel with Wylde chamber and SLR adjustable gas block. Feed ramps contoured and polished. Headspace checked with PTG gauges. BAD 9.5" RigidRail forend. Surefire 5.56 WarComp. Geissele Airborne Super Charging Handle. MSTN DLC coated bolt carrier group with Young Mfg. bolt carrier and JP enhanced bolt. TriggerTech 3.5 LB competitive trigger on V Seven titanium fire control pins. BAD EBC Enhanced Bolt Catch. BAD mag release with BAD extended magazine button. DHD DLC coated SS push pins and short throw safety. Magpul MOE K2 pistol grip and .300 Blackout 30-RD magazine. Weight 5 LB 9 OZ
LOL...sudden'y I feel so inadequate. :rolleyes:

1596293605168.png[/QUOTE]

Reactions: MSTN

MSTN

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
MIDDLE OF ARIZONA
MSTN.BIZ
I do also like the SBA3 and use it often in custom pistol builds. It is light in weight and reasonably priced. My only issue with it is the toe of the SBA3 stock seems to become more pliable with regular use. This for me presents a problem.

There's a heavier replacement strap that may help solve that issue:

http://wisemencompany.com/sba3-splitfix/

The Gear Head Works brace is as rigid as any normal buttstock. It also has a slightly longer drop at the toe, too, than other braces, which I personally like for my own man/machine interface.

PBWalsh

Isaiah 40:25-31
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
My newest, and my new go to rifle for anything.
8lb 5oz with no mag. The ADM TA31 mount is very nice as it allows me proper eye relief without sacrificing ergonomics. Looks kinda silly, but it works out great for my body. Just waiting on my Cloud Defense LCS to ship now.

Vltor MUR upper, BCM ELW 16” barrel, BCM MCMR 13” handguard, BCM gas block, BCM BCG, Geissele ACH, Aero lower, Larue MBT-2S Flat trigger, SOLGW lpk, Radian 45* ambi safety, BCM furniture (skateboard tape on the pistol grip), Geissele 5-Axis trigger guard, Vltor A5 buffer system, SF M600DF, Magpul Pro LR buis set, BFG VTAC padded sling on QDs, and an A2 flash hider until I can get a SF Warcomp in. Plan on picking up a SF Suppressor in 2021. Might add an offset RMR at some point, but today found the BAC method to work good with the objective lens closed. Need to test it more though.

Really happy with this rifle so far. Only thing to do now is burn this barrel out.

5280A583-374E-4AE2-92D9-622996828421.jpeg

Brandon05_88

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Charleston, WV
" I essentially wanted a shorter SPR style rifle. "
Do you think you got it?
Beautiful rig, I must say!
Thanks man! Yes, I feel it’s a good balance. The ATACR 4-16 is overkill, but I wasn’t comfortable with the NXS 2.5-10. The 4-16 has the Mil-C that matches the 5-25 on my AI...OCD is satisfied. Below is a 5 shot group with factory Hornady match the first trip out. Shot 4 wasn’t included in that measurement. I always manage to throw shot 4. C759400E-8DAA-4F1D-9BE7-9D31FEBF13E8.jpeg

Reactions: powdahound76

MSTN

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
MIDDLE OF ARIZONA
MSTN.BIZ
I've got a 2007 vintage MK 18 clone with a very special Noveske SS barrel of which I'm very proud. John Noveske was kind enough to make a special run of 10.5" and 16" SS barrels with super-small gas ports for suppressed use only. This was well before the successful introduction of compact, easily adjustable gas blocks, bolt carriers, etc. This was our best effort to optimize a MK 18 for suppressed use. John nailed the size from the start, having more experience that anyone in this area, after perfecting his Switchblock about a year prior.
This upper ran suppressed full auto at the perfect 725 RPM and drops the brass in a nice pile at 3:30. With nice optic, match grade ammo, and a bipod, it would turn in very respectable sub-MOA groups, as well. Much less gas blowback than I was accustomed to experiencing.
Time has passed. I upgraded the recoil system to a Vltor A5 when they came out, threw an Elcan Specter DR on top, replacing an old Comp M3, upgraded the Surefire FA556-212 to a SOCOM RC and then a SOCOM RC2. But, it was still the same old standby. But looking rather dated and seeming kinda heavy at 11+ LB ready to rock.
Then, a friendly enthusiast offered to buy both the DD MK 18 rail and the Surefire SOCOM RC2 from me. So, the old MK 18 has lost 1.5 LB by transitioning to a Geissele Mk 14 9.5" rail and a TDS Badger II 5.56 suppressor. I decided to add a little dazzle dazzle with a new Surefire M340 Mini Scout Light Pro, as well. Love their new mounting system!

IMG_2856.jpegIMG_8970.jpegIMG_8971.jpegIMG_8972.jpegIMG_8976.jpeg

TCKev

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Houma,LA
AC4B1282-DAC7-439E-B62C-B20E7E446B9E.jpeg
Wilson Combat billet upper and lower
JP Lmos BCG
Trigger Tech Diamond Flat
Vseven controls
VZ G10 grip
Umbrella Corp AXTS Raptor CH
JP Silent captured spring
Magpul Gen 3 PRS stock
Craddock Precision 20” 1:7.7 twist
Surefire Socom muzzle brake
SLR gas block
BCM 17” Keymod Handguard
American Defense Delta scope mount
Vortex PST 2.5x10

MidRangeCrisis

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2020
Built up a suburban (well, country really) 'yote splitter.

Para Ordnance Lower with RR NM fire control bits
PRS stock and Magpul grip
VLTOR Heavy upper
White Oak 16" SDMR 1:7" .223 Wylde mid-length
MCSRV2 15" handguard
OSS Suppressor
Trijicon 2.5-10x56mm scope
AN/PVS-12 Aquila NODS (not pictured)

Mk262 Mod0 (or equivalent) is the GP load
Developing a 112 grain Outlaw State subsonic load
60gr Sierra Varmints pop the 'yotes alright20200828_094745.jpg

Jigstick

Teach Me Sensei sniffed my neck
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2017
PA
@Jigstick - some details???

Besides looking awesome. Nice rig
Seekins SP223 billet lower
Seekins 10.5in CQ PDW complete upper
Geissele SD3G trigger
Radian Talon safety
BCM grip
LWRC UCIW ultra compact stock
Vortex Gen 2 UH1
DeadAir muzzle device
DeadAir Sandman S 30cal suppressor

waiting on some RailScales and Cloud Defensive OWL yet

Reactions: powdahound76

powdahound76

Old tired dad
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2011
Denver CO
a 22 AR is a hoot
I built a .22 upper.
Can fits beneath the 8” HG, so when combined with 4.5” barrel it doesnt stick out very far at all.
combined with a red dot and the fast trigger, its so insanely fast to put 3 rounds into a nice group out to 50 yds

Reactions: Jefe's Dope

rybe390

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
But for my learning pleasure, explain to me “why not”.
Not the guy who posted it, but, I can see that being an issue during weapon manipulations when going from safe to fire to safe doing target transitions/moving and stuff like that. Getting it off safe seems fine, getting it back on seems like an ergonomic nightmare.

If it works for you, right on.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin

roostercogburn98

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
Not the guy who posted it, but, I can see that being an issue during weapon manipulations when going from safe to fire to safe doing target transitions/moving and stuff like that. Getting it off safe seems fine, getting it back on seems like an ergonomic nightmare.

If it works for you, right on.
So original context for use is not being taken into consideration here. This gun sits on a bipod and bags and gets shot off a bench. It has a 3.5-21 power scope so “transitional” shooting is not what it’s designed for. I have done my fair share of CQB style shooting and honestly don’t think this would have any real negative impact compared to a traditional safety selector. Small handed fellas have always had to come off the grip some to manipulate those setups as well.

Not taking shots at anyone, I just like a little reasoning with my “why” questions.