• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The AR15 Picture Thread

Compass Lake Engineering & Douglas 16" 1:7 Recon with CLE chamber. Typically hovers around 1/2 MOA for 5 shots at 100 with 77 SMKs at 2625 fps. I essentially wanted a shorter SPR style rifle.
54970801-4DB0-4D89-9A95-02899262CE33.jpeg

" I essentially wanted a shorter SPR style rifle. "
Do you think you got it?
Beautiful rig, I must say!

Thanks man! Yes, I feel it’s a good balance. The ATACR 4-16 is overkill, but I wasn’t comfortable with the NXS 2.5-10. The 4-16 has the Mil-C that matches the 5-25 on my AI...OCD is satisfied. Below is a 5 shot group with factory Hornady match the first trip out. Shot 4 wasn’t included in that measurement. I always manage to throw shot 4.
C759400E-8DAA-4F1D-9BE7-9D31FEBF13E8.jpeg

Reactions: powdahound76
I've got a 2007 vintage MK 18 clone with a very special Noveske SS barrel of which I'm very proud. John Noveske was kind enough to make a special run of 10.5" and 16" SS barrels with super-small gas ports for suppressed use only. This was well before the successful introduction of compact, easily adjustable gas blocks, bolt carriers, etc. This was our best effort to optimize a MK 18 for suppressed use. John nailed the size from the start, having more experience that anyone in this area, after perfecting his Switchblock about a year prior.
This upper ran suppressed full auto at the perfect 725 RPM and drops the brass in a nice pile at 3:30. With nice optic, match grade ammo, and a bipod, it would turn in very respectable sub-MOA groups, as well. Much less gas blowback than I was accustomed to experiencing.
Time has passed. I upgraded the recoil system to a Vltor A5 when they came out, threw an Elcan Specter DR on top, replacing an old Comp M3, upgraded the Surefire FA556-212 to a SOCOM RC and then a SOCOM RC2. But, it was still the same old standby. But looking rather dated and seeming kinda heavy at 11+ LB ready to rock.
Then, a friendly enthusiast offered to buy both the DD MK 18 rail and the Surefire SOCOM RC2 from me. So, the old MK 18 has lost 1.5 LB by transitioning to a Geissele Mk 14 9.5" rail and a TDS Badger II 5.56 suppressor. I decided to add a little dazzle dazzle with a new Surefire M340 Mini Scout Light Pro, as well. Love their new mounting system!

IMG_2856.jpeg
IMG_8970.jpeg
IMG_8971.jpeg
IMG_8972.jpeg
IMG_8976.jpeg

AC4B1282-DAC7-439E-B62C-B20E7E446B9E.jpeg

Wilson Combat billet upper and lower
JP Lmos BCG
Trigger Tech Diamond Flat
Vseven controls
VZ G10 grip
Umbrella Corp AXTS Raptor CH
JP Silent captured spring
Magpul Gen 3 PRS stock
Craddock Precision 20” 1:7.7 twist
Surefire Socom muzzle brake
SLR gas block
BCM 17” Keymod Handguard
American Defense Delta scope mount
Vortex PST 2.5x10

Reactions: long range sponge
Built up a suburban (well, country really) 'yote splitter.

Para Ordnance Lower with RR NM fire control bits
PRS stock and Magpul grip
VLTOR Heavy upper
White Oak 16" SDMR 1:7" .223 Wylde mid-length
MCSRV2 15" handguard
OSS Suppressor
Trijicon 2.5-10x56mm scope
AN/PVS-12 Aquila NODS (not pictured)

Mk262 Mod0 (or equivalent) is the GP load
Developing a 112 grain Outlaw State subsonic load
60gr Sierra Varmints pop the 'yotes alright
20200828_094745.jpg

Walked into LGS and saw this the other day. Figured I’d give it a try. ElftmannTactical pushbutton safety for the AR platform.
642FD3BD-40E1-44DE-9FF2-B4845A85B9C3.jpeg
B296E765-21AA-47F8-8CBA-AE042AD14D50.jpeg

Last edited:
@Jigstick - some details???

Besides looking awesome. Nice rig

Seekins SP223 billet lower
Seekins 10.5in CQ PDW complete upper
Geissele SD3G trigger
Radian Talon safety
BCM grip
LWRC UCIW ultra compact stock
Vortex Gen 2 UH1
DeadAir muzzle device
DeadAir Sandman S 30cal suppressor

waiting on some RailScales and Cloud Defensive OWL yet

Reactions: powdahound76
a 22 AR is a hoot
I built a .22 upper.
Can fits beneath the 8” HG, so when combined with 4.5” barrel it doesnt stick out very far at all.
combined with a red dot and the fast trigger, its so insanely fast to put 3 rounds into a nice group out to 50 yds

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
But for my learning pleasure, explain to me “why not”.
Not the guy who posted it, but, I can see that being an issue during weapon manipulations when going from safe to fire to safe doing target transitions/moving and stuff like that. Getting it off safe seems fine, getting it back on seems like an ergonomic nightmare.

If it works for you, right on.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Not the guy who posted it, but, I can see that being an issue during weapon manipulations when going from safe to fire to safe doing target transitions/moving and stuff like that. Getting it off safe seems fine, getting it back on seems like an ergonomic nightmare.

If it works for you, right on.
So original context for use is not being taken into consideration here. This gun sits on a bipod and bags and gets shot off a bench. It has a 3.5-21 power scope so “transitional” shooting is not what it’s designed for. I have done my fair share of CQB style shooting and honestly don’t think this would have any real negative impact compared to a traditional safety selector. Small handed fellas have always had to come off the grip some to manipulate those setups as well.

Not taking shots at anyone, I just like a little reasoning with my “why” questions.

Here's the 20" gun. Glass will be a strike eagle 5-25 relatively soon. Taken this to 1,000 a few times and it is becoming one of my favorite rifles. Criterion hybrid, ssa-e, BCM upper, aero lower.
View attachment 7413387

Have you noticed any POI shifts from using the BCM upper/handguard? I personally went with a Vltor MUR to offset this, but I am curious to know your experience with a more mil-specish upper.

Have you noticed any POI shifts from using the BCM upper/handguard? I personally went with a Vltor MUR to offset this, but I am curious to know your experience with a more mil-specish upper.
no
Not that I can tell, and I've both gotten it pretty hot and also loaded on tripods, etc. If there is a difference, it isn't showing at 800-900 yards. It shoots 10 shot groups with 73 eld's at an inch.

I've also been curious about the reinforced uppers, but as far as I can tell, milspec style uppers are good to go. If there is a difference, I'm not a good enough shooter to notice.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Good to know, I need to test mine with some match ammunition. Vltor MUR/BCM MCMR/BCM ELW barrel /TA31 ACOG for me currently.

I’m betting its more accurate than I am currently capable of.

@Mr. Zick
How do you like the Geissele bolt latch?

I have a seekins and its a nice improvement, always curious if there is something better.

I have a similar setup. Folder vs PDW

The folder is nice for a 10.5” 556.

I too like to read Wes’ recommendations for parts.
He builds nice stuff.
I cant always spend his budget, but he does make nice affordable options known as well.

My bastardized MK18 clone. Started life as a Springfield Saint Edge. It got a Wilson Combat 11.3" 5.56 barrel, Noveske KX5, Noveske K9 barrier brace, Geissele Super 13 foreend, Geissele gas block, Bootleg Precision gas tube, ADM BCG, Scalarworks PEAK Irons, and a Leupold DPP red dot. It came stock with the Maxim Defense pistol brace. She's a tack driver. I run Sig 77 grain OTM's through it and it prints some tiny little groups.

Attachments

• IMG_4025.JPG
    IMG_4025.JPG
    487 KB · Views: 90
Frankenstein rifle

The only parts that matter...
Compass Lake .223 Krieger 4 groove
Knights 2 stage
20 year old Leupold VX-3
6B3D4BEA-6375-4BDD-9334-2E8F896F5534.png

Kind of a cheaper pistol i assembled for dedicated HD that wasn't uber cheap but if someone walked off with it i wouldn't have a stroke. Damn locking mechanism for the QD latch on the holosun fell off today. Kinda makes me want to get another AMG. But damnit if shake/awake isn't convenient. Kind of a gassy little thing even with the carrier. Shot it with the turbo k hoping the carrier would tone it down, ejection was still at 2:30. Also never realized the switch for the gemtech was on the receiver side. Seriously hate that. Got a hell of deal on it from a friend though for $75 so i really can't complain.
BA 10.5" upper
Gemtech Suppressed carrier
Geissele SCH
Same pistol lower as before.
IMG_9677.jpg