• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The AR15 Picture Thread

I have a hard time with scopes that high as I like to shoot in the prone. I don't mind it red dots as I use them on SBRs and more standing while I shoot. I did put a red dot above one of my scopes, still seeing if I like it.
You can, I use a higher mount for a red dot for work and for shits and giggles mounted my 1-8 on a riser to get about the same height..wasn’t bad

I attempted painting my buddy’s rifle. I used a combo of stencils, art sponges, and a laundry bag. I think it turned out pretty good looking. I’ve never painted a rifle camo before, but I think I may finally have worked up the nerve to do a few of my own. I’m interested to hear what you guys think.

6EDB76AE-8864-4E6F-9A37-284878AB1187.jpeg
68321A87-1FF6-498D-88C9-D2C148AC69C1.jpeg

Beautiful setup! How do the subs sound with the HUXWRX can? I have a 10" 300 blk with the same can and noticed it is quite loud compared to my Sico Omega 300 wit subs.
Pew Research found something similar as well. Ironically, it’s actually quieter using .300 supers and is super quiet with .308 supers as well. Pew thinks it has to do with the zero backpressure design requiring higher pressures (supersonic) for the HUX Flow design to be effective.

I have used a TBAC Ultra-9 on the same gun and it is quieter with subs than the HUX, but it pushes a huge gas cloud into your face, so I’ll take less gas and more noise. I’m eager to check out HUX’s forthcoming Flow can based on their new design.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
This is an open question to anyone using the HuxWrx suppressors. Do you find that when you add the suppressor the POI shifts a little too much? On my 7.62 and 5.56 OSS HX QD there is a very large shift. For example they drop at least 6 inches at 50 yards. While my Surefire suppressors barely have any shift.

I have two of the HuxWrx 5.56 and two of the 7.62 and they all have a downward shift of POI. I have 1 Surefire Socom 7.62 and two of the Socom 5.56 and there is very little shift on all of the Surefires I own.

This is an open question to anyone using the HuxWrx suppressors. Do you find that when you add the suppressor the POI shifts a little too much? On my 7.62 and 5.56 OSS HX QD there is a very large shift. For example they drop at least 6 inches at 50 yards. While my Surefire suppressors barely have any shift.

I have two of the HuxWrx 5.56 and two of the 7.62 and they all have a downward shift of POI. I have 1 Surefire Socom 7.62 and two of the Socom 5.56 and there is very little shift on all of the Surefires I own.
When I had a 12.5” barrel, I noticed little to no zero shift. My 16” barrel saw a bit of a shift. When mounted to a 20” heavy barrel bolt rifle, I saw no shift. I have not shot my 308 gasser without it.

This is from an OSS Helix 762 QD. Former company of Huxwrx.

I have a OSS 5.56 TI and there is some shift, more on lighter barrels. It really isn't surprising hanging a weight on the end of your barrel changes the POI. 6" at 50 yards seems excessive, have you double checked alignment?

I have a OSS 5.56 TI and there is some shift, more on lighter barrels. It really isn't surprising hanging a weight on the end of your barrel changes the POI. 6" at 50 yards seems excessive, have you double checked alignment?
I have not. However, one of the rifles is from Meridian Defense 14.5 pinned and welded OSS brake and the other is a Knights 11.5" barrel. I would imagine that Meridian Defense lined it up before it left their facility.

Using the Socom suppressors on a Knights 14.5" SBR and the other is a Rifle Dynamics 14.5 with pinned and welded Socom brake. Very minimal shift on these rifles. I am using these rifles for my experience/ example because I had all of the out the other day shooting and had to zero all of them.

You can shoot a gun unsuppressed? Isn’t that, like, a capital offense?

She pretty 😍 I dig the naked welded 17-4. My cans are all 17-4 guts, but I'm not THAT guy when it comes to being set up for welding like that. So they got Ti tubes hiding their true beauty 🤷‍♂️

It's a great suppressor. Works great for both precision bolt guns and ar15's. Very well made, good suppression, great accuracy and low backpressure.

Rock River Mock12 20" - Hands-down the most accurate rifle I own across all categories. Had a handful of scopes on it over the years.

20201126_065916.jpg
20230205_225112.jpg
20230123_105614.jpg

Main squeeze at the moment. Not quite as accurate, but still nearly sub moa with Hornady 75 Black and 69 FGMM. Slowly getting it cline correct, NF rings are next on the docket.
20230413_150959.jpg
20230330_082014.jpg
20230412_160857.jpg

BCM 14.5" that's now wearing an XPS2, soon to be swapped for an EXPS and have a DBAL added for a night hunting setup once I finally get a PVS-14.

Acog was light and looked the best but the 4X left me wanting more.

PST 1-6 was just portly and ended up on my Henry .357

20230317_151027.jpg
20230123_110131.jpg
20220706_165936.jpg

Reactions: S197 and Mag44579
CLE douglas… super overgassed. Used a black river tactical .076 to get it under control and still could have gone smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_3564.jpeg
    IMG_3564.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: S197
I use the BRT tubes and gas blocks. Really like them. A .072" still has plenty of gas for reliable mid-length gas on a 16. I've used all the way down to .067" without issues
That build is pushing an A5H2 with Lantac ebcg and I requested gassing for A5H1 with milspec bcg. With the specified components, it is a wee overgassed. With the heavy components , it is soft shooting. But this is a clone, not a modern spr.

Good looking gun. Deep down I'm hoping it's something interesting like 6.8SPC, lol.

If you're not tracking it the ModLite button/ remote/ mount allows for a natural support hand grip and a clean pad/ mount all in one.
Thanks, just a good ole' 223 wylde barrel in there. I just wanted a decent 14.5 AR. I do plan on moving the scoutlight to the other side and trying a surefire switch that I have, I'm newer to using lights so still figuring that part out.

Custom high end builds from Assassin Tactical.

Attachments

• DSC_7270_edited.jpg
    DSC_7270_edited.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_7253_edited.jpg
    DSC_7253_edited.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_7177_edited.jpg
    DSC_7177_edited.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: darkfader
@MSTN @Molon et al... have any of yall ever noticed any difference in accuracy/precision with different gas system lengths? Ie between same barrel length/contour/material/finish/etc same everything but with different length gas tube/systems?
Or any effects at all on harmonics otherwise?

That's a tough question to answer with any genuine scientific basis. I can only address this from three decades of empirical observation. This ability to observe accurately is heavily clouded by what I like or have had extraordinary good luck with in past practical application.

Example:

I know I shoot better suppressed. Do my rifles shoot better suppressed, or do I shoot better suppressed? My guess is the likely answer is the latter.

There are tons more, some that may border on superstition. There's an ejection pattern I like, a recoil pulse that I like, a balance that I like, products I like, manufacturers I like, etc. So, you probably should take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

To address your question: I like to use the longest gas system that a barrel length seems to like - i.e., function reliably and shoot accurately.

In .223/5.56 NATO, to me that means:

10.5" - carbine length
11.5" - carbine+1"
12.5" to 14.5" - mid length
16" - intermediate length (either KAC or Noveske/Kinsel)
18" - rifle length (as long as I go)

You can't talk about gas systems without also considering recoil systems. The older Vltor A5 and now the newer BCM MK II recoil systems make a world of difference and are all I use unless the customer absolutely insists on something else. Why? See the top paragraph, above.

Throw in an adjustable gas block, maybe an ideal low back pressure suppressor, and you can really get things just right. Ok ... what you THINK is just right.

Can’t tell much about what the build parts are. But it looks 🔥
Thank you! Here are the parts -

It’s an Aero lower with a Larue 2 stage. VLTOR A5 system with a B5 precision stock. Magpul K2 grip. LPK from I don’t remember. HRF concepts magwell.

Rainier arms 18” ultra match rifle +1 in 6mm arc. Odinworks AGB. Area 419 6mm 2 port brake. Spikes upper receiver, Aero bolt carrier, faxon 6.5 grendel bolt. PRI gen iii 15” handguard with the full length top rail. Aero CH

Full length arca I machined because no one made them. Hoptic USA ammo sleeve that I modified to fit the toob. Atlas bipod with ADM Qd mount.

Reptillia mount with a vortex venom topped off with the RMR and the 90 degree plate. Machined up a 10mm spacer to bring it over the scope cap. Desert camo tape and a few coats of spray paint. GBRS group sling.

Shoots factory 108 ELDM and factory 105 BTHP at 2570. Very light recoil

Reactions: B Man
Thank you! Here are the parts -

It’s an Aero lower with a Larue 2 stage. VLTOR A5 system with a B5 precision stock. Magpul K2 grip. LPK from I don’t remember. HRF concepts magwell.

Rainier arms 18” ultra match rifle +1 in 6mm arc. Odinworks AGB. Area 419 6mm 2 port brake. Spikes upper receiver, Aero bolt carrier, faxon 6.5 grendel bolt. PRI gen iii 15” handguard with the full length top rail. Aero CH

Full length arca I machined because no one made them. Hoptic USA ammo sleeve that I modified to fit the toob. Atlas bipod with ADM Qd mount.

Reptillia mount with a vortex venom topped off with the RMR and the 90 degree plate. Machined up a 10mm spacer to bring it over the scope cap. Desert camo tape and a few coats of spray paint. GBRS group sling.

Shoots factory 108 ELDM and factory 105 BTHP at 2570. Very light recoil
I don’t think I’ll run anything but the Vltor A5 or BCM Recoil mitigation system (sane thing) since trying them. How’s the accuracy? I have a GGP set shelved for my next build that I can’t decide on.

I don’t think I’ll run anything but the Vltor A5 or BCM Recoil mitigation system (sane thing) since trying them. How’s the accuracy? I have a GGP set shelved for my next build that I can’t decide on.
The A5 system is awesome. I switched all my rifles to it. More reliable, less recoil impulse, easier to tune.

It’s sitting at about 1 MOA with factory ELDM. Can’t recommend rainier for barrels, their QC seems to be very lacking. Two bad barrels in a row from them, one with putting on the inside, replacement barrel had a gas port not drilled through.