• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The Arken Optics Thread (merged)

An Outstanding Channel on YouTube just posted and excellent video featuring the Arken EP5 5-25x. He was impressed with the quality of the optic given its price. His latest video featured using the EP5 mounted on a Scar-20 6.5 Creedmoor out to over a 1000 yards, starting with a 25 yard zero!

Mountains, Mullets, Merica!

He puts out amazing content and really deserves more subscribers!
If he has a mullet, I’m not trusting his opinion. Never trust someone who thinks it’s cool to look like an alcoholic 70’s trailer park wife beater.

• Sad
Reactions: x2cross
An Outstanding Channel on YouTube just posted and excellent video featuring the Arken EP5 5-25x. He was impressed with the quality of the optic given its price. His latest video featured using the EP5 mounted on a Scar-20 6.5 Creedmoor out to over a 1000 yards, starting with a 25 yard zero!

He puts out amazing content and really deserves more subscribers!
I trust X-RING and his honest opinions. Negatives and all.

Any of you SH4 Gen 2 owners struggled with Parallax and diopter adjustments? This is the only scope I have ever had an issue with the reticle going blurry after sitting behind the rifle for a bit. Spent way to much time trying to reset it and adjust it but no luck.

Yes I set magnification to max. Yes I set parallax to infinity. Yes I made sure to not stare through the optic. Just brief glimpses again a plain blue sky and a white interior wall. I even tried adjusting it, then going and shooting another guy for a few minutes then went back and finalized the SH4.

Any of you SH4 Gen 2 owners struggled with Parallax and diopter adjustments? This is the only scope I have ever had an issue with the reticle going blurry after sitting behind the rifle for a bit. Spent way to much time trying to reset it and adjust it but no luck.

Yes I set magnification to max. Yes I set parallax to infinity. Yes I made sure to not stare through the optic. Just brief glimpses again a plain blue sky and a white interior wall. I even tried adjusting it, then going and shooting another guy for a few minutes then went back and finalized the SH4.
I'd suggest contacting Arken Optics to let them know about the issues you are experiencing and it's for only this specific scope while your other brands of scopes don't have such issues and have them send you a prepaid return shipping label to exchange it under warranty and hopefully you get the new SH4J that addresses most of the SH4 Gen 2 deficiencies. I would actually request for the SH4J as a replacement under warranty or offer to pay the $97.50 more to upgrade to their EP5.

I'd suggest contacting Arken Optics to let them know about the issues you are experiencing and it's for only this specific scope while your other brands of scopes don't have such issues and have them send you a prepaid return shipping label to exchange it under warranty and hopefully you get the new SH4J that addresses most of the SH4 Gen 2 deficiencies. I would actually request for the SH4J as a replacement under warranty or offer to pay the $97.50 more to upgrade to their EP5.
I had the same problem with the ep5.

I'm actually curious about whether Arken truly owns their factory, as they claim. (I'm aware that their early products were manufactured by Discovery Optics.) According to their apps, it seems the scopes are made by a company called Pangu Optics, located in Hunan, China. After some research, I found that this company is 95% owned by an individual named Xiuying Song.

While I have no issue with OEM and appreciate my Arkens, I just wish for more transparency from Arken regarding their ownership and manufacturing capabilities. Is Michael Reilly really the main shareholder, or is this just a marketing scheme?o_O

I'm actually curious about whether Arken truly owns their factory, as they claim. (I'm aware that their early products were manufactured by Discovery Optics.) According to their apps, it seems the scopes are made by a company called Pangu Optics, located in Hunan, China. After some research, I found that this company is 95% owned by an individual named Xiuying Song.

While I have no issue with OEM and appreciate my Arkens, I just wish for more transparency from Arken regarding their ownership and manufacturing capabilities. Is Michael Reilly really the main shareholder, or is this just a marketing scheme?o_O
Any chinese company has to be majority owned by a Chinese entity. A foreigner can be a minority owner, but can not have a controlling interest.

ILya

Seems with Arken people either love them or hate them.
Early reviews were making them out to be the second coming but as time has passed that has come crashing back down to earth and most say the glass is meh and just barely okay and talk about how good the turrets and tracking are.

Again most more trustworthy and competent reviewers do point out at the sale prices Arkens have been at for about the last year at THOSE prices the Arken is a very good buy when looking at a more budget oriented optic in those sale pricing levels.

It has been announced after the Black Friday sale period the Arkens will be seeing price increases and it makes me wonder at full prices where they may fall in the best budget optic when being compared to now other brands a tier or so higher optic at the same prices.

Things that you may overlook and accept in the sub $400 or sub $300 price point may not be so acceptable at a $400 for the cheaper line or $500 price point for the EP5 level.

Will be interesting to see how the price increase affects Arkens as being recommended in the budget category or how those price increases may affect the brands sales.

Reactions: GhostFace
For the money, you cannot beat an Arken scope right now at today's prices

That does not mean they are perfect, it does not mean it will fit YOUR needs.

They fit my needs, they work well, they are built well, and they are cheap, they are easy to contact and have a great warranty if you should need it.

They are significantly better than Athlon scopes at the same price point in every category.

The EP5 for example has better turrets than a Vortex PST Gen II
The EP5 has 95% of the glass quality the Vortex PST Gen II has for hundreds of less dollars, glass quality I can live with (you will only notice in very specific cases, you may only shoot in those cases and won't want to live with it)

At the current prices, going dollar for dollar, nothing beats them
That said, they are still a budget scope, just a well done selection of features and quality in a budget scope.

Reactions: GhostFace
At the current prices,
Exactly what my post was referring to.
It has been announced that Arken price increases will hit after Black Friday so at those new prices I wonder how it will change the dynamics of quality versus performance to other brands at the new price point.

A lot of difference in paying $397 versus $529 and to the competition you will be comparing at the same or much closer price point.

Reactions: Gohring65
I don't think adding roughly $100 changes anything (just less of a bargain)

at the $529 price point, which in your opinion 'better' scope should I now look at?

What I’ve found with Arken the last few years.
Tubes are weak, any more than 15 in lbs and things get squeezed and the parallax doesn’t feel right. Arken even revised their torque specs accordingly I’m hearing.
Turrets are clunky and feel cheap. I have had several of them and no two arkens ever felt the same.
Glass is good enough, but definitely will show its faults even when compared to some of the 500$ and up scopes.
The owners tend to fib a lot, they tell you something like a particular scope is 3 weeks out go ahead and order now, when in reality they are likely to be 8-12 weeks out sometimes more. They also will promise you a bunch of gear just to order one of their “in stock” barrels. But then it’s 4-6 weeks before you receive it, with nothing that was promised. That was the biggest let down for me with Arken, I feel like they just blew smoke up my ass to get me to order one of their barrels that nobody was buying. This was all promised over a phone call with the owner.
I also think they are priced appropriately currently. If I had to pay retail for a ep5 I’d definitely get the Athlon helos gen 2 instead.

I haven't had the dealings with the people at Arken like you have
I order online
scope shows up quickly
it works
I like it
I shoot long distance maybe every other month, skipping Jan and Feb, so I use them a lot.
I have a torque screwdriver and always set proper torque

I got turned off of Athlon because of two of their scopes I own. Turrets and glass both lacking
I have not looked at a Athlon helos gen 2, I will see if I can find one in real life to play with, thanks!

Early reviews were making them out to be the second coming but as time has passed that has come crashing back down to earth and most say the glass is meh and just barely okay and talk about how good the turrets and tracking are.

Again most more trustworthy and competent reviewers do point out at the sale prices Arkens have been at for about the last year at THOSE prices the Arken is a very good buy when looking at a more budget oriented optic in those sale pricing levels.

It has been announced after the Black Friday sale period the Arkens will be seeing price increases and it makes me wonder at full prices where they may fall in the best budget optic when being compared to now other brands a tier or so higher optic at the same prices.

Things that you may overlook and accept in the sub $400 or sub $300 price point may not be so acceptable at a $400 for the cheaper line or $500 price point for the EP5 level.

Will be interesting to see how the price increase affects Arkens as being recommended in the budget category or how those price increases may affect the brands sales.
My first 3 SH4 Gen 2 scopes are solid (purchased before the EP5 ever got announced). Then, bought an EP5 when they released, and it was a lemon right out of the box (glass was beyond fucked), and had to be sent back for replacement. The replacement was much better, but the turrets were still kind of rough and needed improvement. Figured I’d give the EPL4 a shot, and once again, instant regret. Glass was clear, but had so much CA it was bluish-purple tinted. Sent off for replacement, replacement was better, but still terrible CA, and turrets were rough. After that, I was done supporting and recommending them.

My first 3 SH4 Gen 2 scopes are solid (purchased before the EP5 ever got announced). Then, bought an EP5 when they released, and it was a lemon right out of the box (glass was beyond fucked), and had to be sent back for replacement. The replacement was much better, but the turrets were still kind of rough and needed improvement. Figured I’d give the EPL4 a shot, and once again, instant regret. Glass was clear, but had so much CA it was bluish-purple tinted. Sent off for replacement, replacement was better, but still terrible CA, and turrets were rough. After that, I was done supporting and recommending them.
What would you recommend for someon looking for a $650 and under MSRP scope?

I am not a fan of Athlon turrets, maybe I should try again its been a couple years

I do not like the Burris reticle at all

1700077049233.png

Reactions: Scopeye
This is my most used Arken EP5 scope at the moment

CZ 457 MTR, MDT Chassis, Timney trigger, other upgrades I am forgetting
(yes that is a shit ton of LOP spacers, it's why I ditched the turkish walnut stock with child like LOP)

1700098167532.png

Have shot a dozen matches with this one. Out to 330 yards successful hits.

I order online
scope shows up quickly
it works
I like it
I shoot long distance maybe every other month, skipping Jan and Feb, so I use them a lot.

I got turned off of Athlon because of two of their scopes I own. Turrets and glass both lacking
I have not looked at a Athlon helos gen 2, I will see if I can find one in real life to play with, thanks!
The Helos is one Athlon I wouldn't personally want to use due to their glass not being good enough for my own eyes. I'd suggest at least their Midas HD line and up for night and day clearer glass specifically the Midas BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 I'd SFP works for you currently on sale at EuroOptic and Scopelist for $479.99 and maybe cheaper on Black Friday. Midas Tac at the bare minimum if you want FFP with fantastic glass without illumination also All Athlons currently on sale at EuroOptic and Scopelist and the Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 even cheaper at Walmart online $565.49 and Amazon same price as of now but Walmart has a better return policy up to 90 days and can even return it to your own local Walmart hassle free and totally risk free to try out while other places you pay to return and can't mount the scope while Walmart doesn't matter if you used it for up to 90 days.

I’m trying to stay in the ORS rimfire production limits. After the 457 MTR I have $650 the play with for MSRP. I’m not concerned about street price.
No choice but to go with an Arken EP5 then unless their upcoming Black Friday price increase exceeds $650.

When you turn down the mag you can see things more clearly closer, but that doesn't eliminate parallax error or change minimum parallax.

When you turn down the mag you can see things more clearly closer, but that doesn't eliminate parallax error or change minimum parallax.
Too bad Leupold discontinued their close focus adapter you could add onto your front lens cover.

The Helos is one Athlon I wouldn't personally want to use due to their glass not being good enough for my own eyes. I'd suggest at least their Midas HD line and up for night and day clearer glass specifically the Midas BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 I'd SFP works for you currently on sale at EuroOptic and Scopelist for $479.99 and maybe cheaper on Black Friday. Midas Tac at the bare minimum if you want FFP with fantastic glass without illumination also All Athlons currently on sale at EuroOptic and Scopelist and the Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 even cheaper at Walmart online $565.49 and Amazon same price as of now but Walmart has a better return policy up to 90 days and can even return it to your own local Walmart hassle free and totally risk free to try out while other places you pay to return and can't mount the scope while Walmart doesn't matter if you used it for up to 90 days.
I have all three athlons you mention and see no discernible difference in the helos vs the Midas tac and ares btr line, even the turrets feel the same maybe even slightly better. This is having them in direct sun, at dusk and midday when mirage is at its worse. The little difference that might be there is quickly cancelled because of the brighter image, less tunneling and better eyebox at max mag. (and I mean very little difference) The over 100 minutes of elevation and 10 yard parallax really sells this scope. Plus it’s just a more trendy design, with locking turrets and 34mm tube.

I have all three athlons you mention and see no discernible difference in the helos vs the Midas tac and ares btr line, even the turrets feel the same maybe even slightly better. This is having them in direct sun, at dusk and midday when mirage is at its worse. The little difference that might be there is quickly cancelled because of the brighter image, less tunneling and better eyebox at max mag. (and I mean very little difference) The over 100 minutes of elevation and 10 yard parallax really sells this scope. Plus it’s just a more trendy design, with locking turrets and 34mm tube.
You are the second person who mentioned this to me regarding seeing barely noticeable difference in optical clarity vs the Midas Tac and Ares BTR Gen 2. If you line them all up at 24x and rltry to read small print on business cards posted at 100 yards how do they fare and how's the chromatic aberration on the Helos in high contrast backgrounds?

You are the second person who mentioned this to me regarding seeing barely noticeable difference in optical clarity vs the Midas Tac and Ares BTR Gen 2. If you line them all up at 24x and rltry to read small print on business cards posted at 100 yards how do they fare and how's the chromatic aberration on the Helos in high contrast backgrounds?
I was judging the stars on an American flag, texture on a shingles roof, letters and numbers on a mailbox and license plates at 650 yards in direct sun at 7pm in late July. There was no difference in clarity or image quality out of all three. This was at their respective max mags. There was no more CA than the other two Chinese scopes. All three would’ve performed well at 650 yards. I did compare the helos to the ep5 burris xtr3 5.5-30 and the ares btr at a bright white semi truck trailer that was glaring in the sun at roughly 100 yards and all four was able to see the texture in the rusted rivets holding it together with the Arken having the worse glass, and I fought the eyebox and parallax sensitivity with enough that I decided to get rid of it at that moment. No CA worth noting out of all four.

Used my arken ep5 yesterday for a 22 match. Again I left not in love with this scope. Is that ares worth the switch? I had the Argos before the ep5 and loved it but the 6 mil revolution was a deal breaker so switched to the ep5. Feel I need to go back to Athlon but need the switch to be close in dollar amount since most my yearly budget goes to my center fire life. Suggestions welcome.

Reached out. They told me I'm setting it up wrong. After a couple emails they said if I really wanted I can send it in and they will look at it but they believe the scope is fine.

I won't be getting anymore.

This literally happens any time a new cheap POS is released. It happens over and over again. The poors think it will be different with this optic but it never is. Chinese optics are all the same garbage with updated styling and new brands OEMing them.

Should add my complaints with the arken.
#1 When making quick parallax adjustments I often get the battery cover wanting to unscrew instead, super annoying.
#2 The clicks are so serious that when making adjustments I just feel it takes too much effort to be accurate quickly.
#3 eye box seems very unforgiving no matter what elevation I’m on.
#4 Overall clarity just isn’t fantastic.
#5 Haven’t tested the tracking but i feel like I question it.
#6 markings on dial itself not fantastic, kinda get a searching feeling when dialing quickly.

What’s the maximum dollar amount of scope to be able to stay in production?

Used my arken ep5 yesterday for a 22 match. Again I left not in love with this scope. Is that ares worth the switch? I had the Argos before the ep5 and loved it but the 6 mil revolution was a deal breaker so switched to the ep5. Feel I need to go back to Athlon but need the switch to be close in dollar amount since most my yearly budget goes to my center fire life. Suggestions welcome.
I like the ares way better than the Arken, but I’d probably get the helos gen2 6-24 If I was going to get another 500$ scope.

I order online
scope shows up quickly
it works
I like it

Pretty much any of the G1 Athlon's weren't all that good - BUT- progressively from shipment to shipment they got better until the G2's arrived state side a couple years ago, and now the G3's are showing up. These have evolved greatly over the years as far as the Talos line and on upwards.

My recently acquired Athlon Ares ETR 15-60x56 target scope, which could be considered a early G3, is amazing in every way, "especially the IQ!" I can't find fault in it which is rare for me to say and I've found fault in some very expensive scopes before.

I've only looked through a few Arkens and the first one I looked through had some sort of odd optical thing going on but the recent one I looked through seemed fine. Based on a brief comparison between it and the various $1000-ish scopes on hand that day it was holding its own except in IQ which wasn't bad. I suppose I'd put that 2nd Arken equal to the Argos BTR line in IQ.

To me the Helos G2 line has been exceptional and superior to the other scopes I've owned in it's price range. I have a Midas TAC 5-25x56 I'm selling to a friend, which had better IQ than my Helos G2 6-24x56, but I prefer the locking turrets and illume on the Helos G2. I'd buy more HG2's but I don't need them because I only have so many rifles. The HG2 is currently mounted on a $4000 retail 22rf, both of which helped me set a UFT course record of 47/48. That's how much I like the scope.

Pretty much any of the G1 Athlon's weren't all that good - BUT- progressively from shipment to shipment they got better until the G2's arrived state side a couple years ago, and now the G3's are showing up. These have evolved greatly over the years as far as the Talos line and on upwards.

My recently acquired Athlon Ares ETR 15-60x56 target scope, which could be considered a early G3, is amazing in every way, "especially the IQ!" I can't find fault in it which is rare for me to say and I've found fault in some very expensive scopes before.

I've only looked through a few Arkens and the first one I looked through had some sort of odd optical thing going on but the recent one I looked through seemed fine. Based on a brief comparison between it and the various $1000-ish scopes on hand that day it was holding its own except in IQ which wasn't bad. I suppose I'd put that 2nd Arken equal to the Argos BTR line in IQ.

To me the Helos G2 line has been exceptional and superior to the other scopes I've owned in it's price range. I have a Midas TAC 5-25x56 I'm selling to a friend, which had better IQ than my Helos G2 6-24x56, but I prefer the locking turrets and illume on the Helos G2. I'd buy more HG2's but I don't need them because I only have so many rifles. The HG2 is currently mounted on a $4000 retail 22rf, both of which helped me set a UFT course record of 47/48. That's how much I like the scope.
Man, for me, the Midas Tac is the bare minimum in image quality my eyes can personally accept. The Argos was absolutely horrible like looking through fog on high magnification. Midas Tac and Ares BTR are positively hands down night and day clearer than the Argos and any Arken EP5 not even the luckiest lottery winning ones can't even touch the better quality glass in the Athlon Midas Tac and Ares BTR Gen 2.

Only real issue with Athlon is since nearly all of them are still Chinese, they may get a bad batch or some or few QC rejects slip through such as debris inside their glass and chromatic aberration in the bad ones. Fortunately only my 3 Argos scopes have terrible glass. I think even the EP5 has better glass than the Argos.

Man, for me, the Midas Tac is the bare minimum in image quality my eyes can personally accept. The Argos was absolutely horrible like looking through fog on high magnification. Midas Tac and Ares BTR are positively hands down night and day clearer than the Argos and any Arken EP5 not even the luckiest lottery winning ones can't even touch the better quality glass in the Athlon Midas Tac and Ares BTR Gen 2.

Only real issue with Athlon is since nearly all of them are still Chinese, they may get a bad batch or some or few QC rejects slip through such as debris inside their glass and chromatic aberration in the bad ones. Fortunately only my 3 Argos scopes have terrible glass. I think even the EP5 has better glass than the Argos.

Yeah I think all the Co's have batches of scopes that have things happening sometimes that are substandard.
Or unit to unit variance. Sucks to get a bad one. Smiles abound when I get a good one.

For example my friends and I have had many Argos scopes on our rifles. The IQ in a few of them are surprisingly nice which we thought was odd but there were some that weren't very good.
On some of them the turrets are slightly off from lines lining up on the housing and some are dead on.
The G2's are nice cheap scopes.

But to date all the Midas TAC's have been great that we've had. Though I've read of some people having them and not being impressed. I have two friends that claim these are their favorite scopes for that price range. One has 3 of them.

Then for some reason my eyes don't abide the Ares BTR 4.5-27 FFP. I had 2 G1's and 2 G2's and sold them. Others like you don't have this problem.

All the ETR's I've had were nice but I didn't like the reticle in the G1 so I sold it.

I really like the Cronus G2 4.5-29's functionality. I could stop at these except I feel the IQ could be better. When I look through my friends Swaro X5i and compare it to my Cronus then I see a huge difference and I can't really say for sure the glass is any better than the Midas TAC line though maybe by just a little.

All I know is when I buy some other brands of scopes in the sub $1500 street price I'm either not happy I did right away or eventually find myself disappointed for various reasons.
Which brings me back to the Helos G2. A scope which is much nicer than the price should allow so I give some slack in the glass department because it's works so well.

Last edited:
Yeah I think all the Co's have batches of scopes that have things happening sometimes that are substandard.
Or unit to unit variance. Sucks to get a bad one. Smiles abound when I get a good one.

For example my friends and I have had many Argos scopes on our rifles. The IQ in a few of them are surprisingly nice which we thought was odd but there were some that weren't very good.
On some of them the turrets are slightly off from lines lining up on the housing and some are dead on.
The G2's are nice cheap scopes.

But to date all the Midas TAC's have been great that we've had. Though I've read of some people having them and not being impressed. I have two friends that claim these are their favorite scopes for that price range. One has 3 of them.

Then for some reason my eyes don't abide the Ares BTR 4.5-27 FFP. I had 2 G1's and 2 G2's and sold them. Others like you don't have this problem.

All the ETR's I've had were nice but I didn't like the reticle in the G1 so I sold it.

I really like the Cronus G2 4.5-29's functionality. I could stop at these except I feel the IQ could be better. When I look through my friends Swaro X5i and compare it to my my Cronus then I see a huge difference and I can't really say for sure the glass is any better than the Midas TAC line though maybe by just a little.

All I know is when I buy some other brands of scopes in the sub $1500 street price I'm either not happy I did right away or eventually find myself disappointed for various reasons.
Which brings me back to the Helos G2. A scope which is much nicer than the price should allow so I give some slack in the glass department because it's works so well.
I totally understand regarding variance between scopes sometimes you can hit the lottery.

My first Athlon Cronus BTR had factory defect with it's illumination since new and hadn't gotten around to ship it in for warranty yet. I didn't realize it had below average glass until I recently received a new one I just bought and man oh man the clarity on the new one is night and superior compared to my first one which I thought was good but this new one is fantastic. The illuminated reticle is absolutely perfect night and day better than my other one and real daytime bright too. Only gripe is the turrets and zoom ring and parallax and illumination dials pretty much everything except for the ocular adjuster are all super stiff and the turrets and parallax and illumination dials have sharp edges which cut into my fingers and definitely blisters if they don't loosen up. The first one isn't sharp edged nor really stiff like this new one.

The Tract Toric ELR is clearer than the first Cronus but the new one's clearer than the Tract which has night and day smoother much easier to adjust controls except for the illumination dial. I think I have to work them moving parts to see if they get smoother. Not too much of an issue if I wear gloves though. The clarity is about neck and neck with my Nightforce NX8 4-32x50.

The Midas Tacs and Ares BTRs have smoother controls without the sharp edges.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and everyone else.

Reactions: steve123