• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The Best Semi-Auto Rifle .... Your Opinion Needed

RoosterShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Kentucky
Before I begin, I want you all to know that I'm not a doomsdayer, or an "apocalypse tomorrow" kind of person. This is strictly for entertainment purposes, and nothing more.

Me and a buddy of mine got into a lengthy discussion over beer and BBQ this afternoon, at our local BBQ joint, and before the conversation was over we had 3 other fellas joining us in the conversation.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I need your opinions on what <span style="text-decoration: underline">single weapon</span> would increase your <span style="text-decoration: underline">personal combat multiplier</span> in a disaster scenario. ie ... anarchy, total chaos, fall of the US monetary system, natural disaster that wiped out the US governmental infrastructure, etc ...
</span>

Personally, I chose the Springfield M1A, but he chose the AR-15 in 5.56.

His argument was lighter ammo and faster shot / sight recovery.

My argument was increasing the damage multiplier by <span style="font-style: italic">at least</span> 3 due to the ballistics of 7.62 round. In other words, if I hit them they most likely will not get back up.

What are your thoughts? What do you think is the single most effective weapon in a scenario like this?

Re: The Best Semi-Auto Rifle .... Your Opinion Needed

A suppressed 10/22 would be a good place to start....
cool.gif

P1020424-1.jpg

But given a choice, I'd actually prefer my Ruger Mark II.....
PA07282020081007_134938_03-1-2.jpg

My argument is that keeping a low-profile would be your best bet!! BTW - what the heck is a damage multiplier? That sounds like something from a video game or Dungeons and Dragons!!
laugh.gif

There is no one answer to your question. No one rifle that will fill every situtation imaginable.
It's a fact that the AK47 is the most prolific semi auto every produced. It's a fact that the design is simple, reliable and very effective combat multiplier. It has flaws as does every rifle you could mention but the AK47's place in history will alway be set near the top.

In the scenario you have described, if such a calamity should befall this nation, then AR15 platform would be my choice based the availability of options, parts, ammo and as a current weapon platform for the military.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
... Me and a buddy of mine got into a lengthy discussion

... I need your opinion what <span style="text-decoration: underline">single weapon</span> would increase your <span style="text-decoration: underline">personal combat multiplier</span> in a disaster scenario. ie ... anarchy, total chaos, fall of the US monetary system, natural disaster that wiped out the US governmental infrastructure, etc.

... What are your thoughts?</div></div>

Based on your scenario, and taking in to account your over-all-situation; you'd want to use the same caliber ammo, in your sidearm and carbine; this would also simplify reloading and stockpiling.

Because of market saturation the 9mm caliber would benefit you best for hunting and 2-legged varmint control. You will also have in the 9mm cartridge a caliber that is easy to barter, or scavenge. If you combined this ammo choice with the Glock pistol and a Carbine that uses Glock magazines, you again simplify the function and use.

In my observation it's not only the ammo but the weapon system, that provides the advantage in your scenario.

"These are just my opinions, if you don't like them I have others."

I have both M1A and a AR-15. I love the M1A its trusty and will always work and does more damage but it is also heavier then the AR. If i have to run and gun my choice for sure would be my AR but then again my setup on it is made for run and gun and entry work. You wouldnt have to worry about "damage multiplier" unless you know your targets have armor then hell yea go for the M1A instead. Ammo is easier to come by for the M1A then the AR. Overall i would go with the AR since you can also change out parts on it and make it what ever you want not just a 223. Ammo will be lighter to carry and you can engage your targets faster if needed. And you can still get good distance with a AR if you have to get distance as well. These are just my thoughts.

@Nebraska:

A damage multiplier is a number given to any weapon. The ballistics, wound pattern, and lethality are all taken into consideration. For instance, a single shot 22 lr. H&R Handi-Rifle might only have a damage multiplier of .5 or even .25 due to it's single shot limitations and damage potential of the round. On the other hand, a Mossberg 930 would have a damage multiplier of 5 or even a 7, depending on what ammo was used. Of course, out past a certain range it drops to the effective killing potential of the .22 lr or even a pellet rifle.

See the point?

I was going to leave this alone until I saw your explanation of damage multiplier.

I don't really see the point. If you say multiplier, what is the base from which you're multiplying from? Otherwise it seems like a arbitrary and ambiguous. Seems random why you would assign .5 or .25 while the shotty gets a 5 or 7. Why not -8.648 or 12345. I think the only thing you could really say is that the shotty does more damage than a .22lr at point blank range.

Also are you comparing how much damage I could inflict with a gun than say with no weapon at all? Am I awake or maybe sleeping? Does shouting loudly to cause discomfort count because it can lead to long term hearing damage?

With so many variables out there I don't think there is a way of accurately quantifying what you're asking. It's like if I asked you to write down people's indefinable qualities.

Are you thinking of the term Force Multiplier? For example when they say adding grenade launchers to a squad is a force multiplier because it can increase their combat potential. They don't actually assign a real number to that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A damage multiplier is a number given to any weapon. The ballistics, wound pattern, and lethality are all taken into consideration. For instance, a single shot 22 lr. H&R Handi-Rifle might only have a damage multiplier of .5 or even .25 due to it's single shot limitations and damage potential of the round. On the other hand, a Mossberg 930 would have a damage multiplier of 5 or even a 7, depending on what ammo was used. Of course, out past a certain range it drops to the effective killing potential of the .22 lr or even a pellet rifle. </div></div>

Got to say, I have been doing this professionally for some time now. This is the first time I have seen "damage multiplier" in any kind of attempt at a serious firearms discussion.

Most folks who have been on the giving or receiving end of live fire understand that the variables of gunshot trauma nullify any type of simple "multiplier".

Is this a concept you and your beer buddies came up with? Mind pointing out where you can find a catalog of these damage multipliers? How would you factor in different types of ammo? Do I need to roll again to find out if my black talons defeat your cloak of invincibility?

Sorry, I am trying to keep this serious.....but your entire question is just too comical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But given a choice, I'd actually prefer my Ruger Mark II.....
PA07282020081007_134938_03-1-2.jpg
</div></div>

Very nice little rat exterminator.

I really want to setup a Ruger like that except for the Ultra-Dot.

How bout an SR-25 type platform? Best of both worlds given your original argument.

AR platform with a can if possible. You can carry more ammo, move faster with a lighter weapon, and 223/556 ammo is very common. If your doomsday scenario did occur I expect there would be plenty of ARs laying around as well as ammo. When the assault weapons ban was lifted everyone bought one, also every Govt. and law enforcement agency in this country has them as well as ammo on hand.

An M1a/m-14 would be my last choice, evolution is SLOWLY pushing that one the way of the dodo.Sure its great...but not when compared to modern weapons.

"damage multiplier" = head shots.

A Red Ryder BB gun... light weight, quiet, and if this is an apocalyptic scenario then most of us are fucked anyways.

Go with the most common ammo available as you can't carry enough and would need to find more. .223/5.55 .308/7.62, 9mm, .45 (IMO). You can also get a side arm like a Sig P250C and have swappable calibers.

military and police have loads of 5.56 or 7.62 ammo, but it's locked up in armories. however, there's plenty of households with with 12 gauge and .22 rounds. Things in such a doomsday situation revert to simple, rudimentary, easily obtainable. I also remember the last time I had to hump all day carrying a full combat load. Point is on the move I don't want to tote a 14 lb rifle.

to your question if i could only choose one the best semi auto to have is a ruger semi-auto 10/22 (weight only ~ 5 pounds). 500 rounds of .22LR is a little over 3.5 pounds too.

The heavier stuff goes in a weapons cache. there my choice best semi-auto assault rifle is AR platform DI due to availablity of parts, mags, and ammo.

If you're looking at strictly a semi-auto rifle. I would go with a an AR in 308. 308/7.62x51 ammo is readily available and anymore you can get an accurate AR platform a lot cheaper then an M1A.

The best weapon is the one you're good with.

There's a lot of guns I love but the one I'm trained and experienced with is the AR15 so that's what I'm going to fall back on.

There's an old saying, "beware of the man with one gun....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best weapon is the one you're good with.</div></div>

I actually prefer, "The best weapon is the one with you!"

However it will always be tactics before equipment. You can have all the gear you want. If a tiny cut becomes infected and you have no idea what to do with it, you are screwed......and I get your ammo.
wink.gif

There are examples throughout history of little guys with very poor equipment making LOTS of trouble for technically superior forces.

true about little guys - chaos is very cheap to create and for big guys expensive to prevent.

I wouldn't choose a M1A even if I did choose a 308. I've had 3 and they take a lot more work to make accurate and usually break down long before a 308 AR would. The AR has a better optic mount.
I would still choose an AR15 in 5.56 and a DI rifle not a piston.
5.56 ammo is cheaper, will always be avail, lighter, platform and caliber more reliable.

I'd take a SCAR 16 for 5.56 or a SCAR 17 for .308. You'll be dead before you ever need spare parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jh1990</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd take a SCAR 16 for 5.56 or a SCAR 17 for .308. You'll be dead before you ever need spare parts. </div></div>
I love the SCAR, IMO the best piston rifle out there and I chose it as my go to rifle about 2 years ago but, I found I shoot my plain DI 556 much faster and more accurate so now I am back to the plain jane.
I think for me it's just shooting an AR for 20years makes them easier to point and get on target quicker.

An AR15 with a 22LR Bolt Conversion in my backpack for killing dinner.
smile.gif

sigh the world of ARF comes to the hide...

Location, Location, Location...

Do you need Longer Range ability or are you a city dweller?

Regardless a Lone Actor gets killed easier than a bunch of buddies.

Less about the hardware and more about the software.

AR all the way. More ammo in the same amount of space and lighter all the way around. .308 does nothing for me... Right now for a single do all I'd use the gun I built for 3-Gun. 18" barrel, rifle gas system, AAC Mini4, and a Burris MTAC 1-4x. I have a 1.5-6x on order and will have both of them mounted up to swap depending on the need.

I would never recommend an AK -- it is a bad guy gun for all of us who have been overseas.

In a Post Appocalyptic World you may not be worried about LE shooting you with a 'bad gun' but most Mil or Former Mil are going to ID a threat weapon and ratchet up their posture higher especially under unclear circumstances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would never recommend an AK -- it is a bad guy gun for all of us who have been overseas.

In a Post Appocalyptic World you may not be worried about LE shooting you with a 'bad gun' but most Mil or Former Mil are going to ID a threat weapon and ratchet up their posture higher especially under unclear circumstances.

</div></div>

Interesting.....glad my AK was sold for an AR......

I have to go with Kevin on this one!! SR25 EMC. Best of both worlds!! If you're worried it's going to be too heavy hit the gym!!!!! GYZ

Varon-T Disruptor FTW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Regardless a Lone Actor gets killed easier than a bunch of buddies.</div></div>

The biggest thing.

If you're on your own you'll either get killed/robbed by someone else or starve to death leaving behind a skeleton dressed in 5.11 tactical clothing clutching a del-ton...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varon-T Disruptor FTW

If you're on your own you'll either get killed/robbed by someone else or starve to death leaving behind a skeleton dressed in 5.11 tactical clothing clutching a del-ton...

</div></div>

Too good not to quote.

If your really concerned about the coming global appocalyse (and fact is its a matter of time -- the time may be 5-10 million years, but its going to happen) then get a plan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Schpankme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on your scenario, and taking in to account your over-all-situation; you'd want to use the same caliber ammo, in your sidearm and carbine; this would also simplify reloading and stockpiling.</div></div>
Ah, no. I would much rather have one firearm in a rifle caliber (preferably common... 5.56, .308) than 2 in 9mm. As Lowlight is known to say, "You can't shoot fast enough to win a gunfight." The drastic increase in range & terminal ballistics that a rifle cartridge provides far outweigh any theoretical gains in ammo commonality & volume, and I truly feel that putting distance between you & the "enemy" (whatever the fuck that is) would be important... Theoretically.

I personally never actually fired my pistol in combat... I cleared a couple of houses with it but that could have been done with the M4 as well. I think pistols are overrated. I never had a problem keeping my primary weapon in the fight. I understand that they have a place, I'm just saying that given the option to only have one gun, a pistol (or pistol cartridge) is way the fuck down the list.

But I also think this whole topic is stupid. "What am I doing in here?" you ask... Fuck, I don't know. And I also agree with 'BCP', in the event, the vast majority of these doomsday'ers are going to make nice 5.11 Tactical-clad skeletons... And that's not going to help their post-apocalyptic sales any.