• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

the do everything rifle on a budget opinions wanted

Deej

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
MO
what I am looking for is a rifle to keep in the truck with me as I travel for when I need it. might be to put down an animal or smoke a coyote or get my beloved behind out of a bad place. I'm thinking 308, mostly because I like overkill and availability of ammo. maybe 5.56 would be good enough, you guys with more experience than me can tell me. I'm thinking semi-auto as might need to shoot fast. I'm thinking shorter barrel like 18". and never know might get to shoot it some distance when have down time with jobs and can find a place. recommendations on a scope would be good also. So let's let all that pent up wisdom in here out and school me. thanks in advance.

I'd go AR .223. Flattop with a burris tac30 and carry some 55gr for smoking totes and some 69smks for when the need arises for a long shot or heavy bullet. You're still going to be a grand if everything is new. But a 308 semi will run nearly twice that.

go with any one of the good M-4 clones. Get a flat top upper so scope mounting is easier. Depending on your budget I would go with a compact but fairly hi-power variable scope. Burris makes a good one. I say that as I have a 1-4x on mine and it isn't really enough.
5.56 is still cheaper to shoot and you can buy AR mags dirt cheap. Don't go any faster twist than 1:9 or 1:9.5 or you'll be stuck shooting heavier more expensive ammo.
While you're at it, buy a 22 conversion unit for plinking. My rifle is set up for the 5.56 and 22 with a scope for both.

what I am looking for is a rifle to keep in the truck with me as I travel for when I need it. might be to put down an animal or smoke a coyote or get my beloved behind out of a bad place. I'm thinking 308, mostly because I like overkill and availability of ammo. maybe 5.56 would be good enough, you guys with more experience than me can tell me. I'm thinking semi-auto as might need to shoot fast. I'm thinking shorter barrel like 18". and never know might get to shoot it some distance when have down time with jobs and can find a place. recommendations on a scope would be good also. So let's let all that pent up wisdom in here out and school me. thanks in advance.

Start by telling us what you want to spend. Budget means nothing to me. Buying a cheap rifle for self defense is a bad move. Putting a magnified optics on a self defense rifle is also a mistake. An 18" barrel for a truck gun?? You see the pattern don't you?? If I wanted to do everything you want to do I would get a Glock 19 and a Colt, Sionics or BCM 16" flat top rifle with a Leupold 1x4 Patrol scope on it. You should be able to do that for 2K. If you really want to do it with a truck rifle I would do a 10 1/2" SBR in 300BO, Aimpoint pro with 3X magnifier.

Start by telling us what you want to spend. Budget means nothing to me. Buying a cheap rifle for self defense is a bad move. Putting a magnified optics on a self defense rifle is also a mistake. An 18" barrel for a truck gun?? You see the pattern don't you?? If I wanted to do everything you want to do I would get a Glock 19 and a Colt, Sionics or BCM 16" flat top rifle with a Leupold 1x4 Patrol scope on it. You should be able to do that for 2K. If you really want to do it with a truck rifle I would do a 10 1/2" SBR in 300BO, Aimpoint pro with 3X magnifier.

trying to stay under 3 grand all together. and I know sacrifices will have to e made as there is no perfect do all gun. to be honest was looking at the new dpms gen II. I'm thinking I will need to go down to 2 power on the scope to make it effective for closer ranges or maybe a red dot or flip up sights for up close. I don't need to access it while in truck but as getting out. so that was why looking at something a little longer. as I said not much experience. when I was in the navy we was still using 308 on the wooden ships but we was phasing out the sails.

When you say leave in truck I think it must be cheap. Consider an AK?

I do not use one but I remove all weapons from my trucks each day without fail.

There is no all purpose weapon, nor are your intended uses very specific. If SD is primary, get a pistol. Do you have a CC permit?
Putting down animals? Do you have livestock? Just want to shoot the animals of others?

At what ranges are you capable of shooting a coyote? Will you hunt or just drive around blasting things out of your truck? Do you shoot crows, squirrels? Need more facts. And good rifles are not cheap. If you did not say semi auto I would suggest you consider a Glock 9MM and a Savage .223.

it seems the consensus is that 5.56 is enough. and that would bring price down considerable. and make ammo cheaper and be able to carry more. I appreciate all of your input so far and looking forward to more of it. thanks

AR, good trigger, can, decent 1-6/2-10 optic.

I'm partial to Primary Weapons Systems and JP.

That steel cased Hornady "match" ammo is cheap and shoots accurately too. They offer a 75gr round.

Stag arms makes a great M-4 clone that is very accurate. They can be had well under 1K. They used to manf. the Rock River and S&W M&P's.
With ball ammo mine is an easy sub MOA gun at 100. I got the one with a standard front sight and I have the issue 600yd rear sight as a back up.
With the collapsible stock and 16" barrel it works great as a truck gun.

Redneck Mobile

Gun

Get a rock river ath OR dpms 3g1 and call it a day for about 1100 bucks. Both are amazing sub moa consistent AR's

If you like overkill maybe a little 8" .458 folder with 400 grain Hot-Cor's will do the trick? Pricey on the ammo front if you don't handload though. I keep the little guy in the center console...

If you like overkill maybe a little 8" .458 folder with 400 grain Hot-Cor's will do the trick? Pricey on the ammo front if you don't handload though. I keep the little guy in the center console...

Just how big is your center console.....lol

Shit why didn't you go all out and integrally suppress that little sucker?? Dude that is SICK!!!!

6.5 Grendel. You get the energy of the 308 and the recoil of the 556.

I think you'd be best of SBRing it to 12.5", there's been a lot of talk about it here. A cool trick you can do is have the GS cut down a 16" barrel and female thread the section of barrel that got cut off so that it will screw onto your new 12.5" threads. 100+ fps bonus when you need it. Store it in a tactical pistol mag pouch when you don't.

eta: It should go without saying, but it happens to me fairly regularly that I'm a smart ass and the sarcasm isn't seen through internet text. The above is not a serious suggestion. Your time reading it has been lost and cannot be returned. Shit happens.

Last edited:
Shit why didn't you go all out and integrally suppress that little sucker?? Dude that is SICK!!!!

I know it brotha, but figured I'd just go grab me a custom brake attach can so I can run it on other guns. Plus, this thing will push Lehigh's 96 gr aluminum projo just under 2400 fps with almost no noticeable recoil and AT LEAST 15 feet of flame shoots out the front. Not only extremely fun to shoot, but I'm thinkin' if I have to use it in self-defense it's likely I'd torch the mofo regardless of if I get good hits in. ?

I know it brotha, but figured I'd just go grab me a custom brake attach can so I can run it on other guns. Plus, this thing will push Lehigh's 96 gr aluminum projo just under 2400 fps with almost no noticeable recoil and AT LEAST 15 feet of flame shoots out the front. Not only extremely fun to shoot, but I'm thinkin' if I have to use it in self-defense it's likely I'd torch the mofo regardless of if I get good hits in.

Man I would LOVE to shoot that bad boy. I got a chance to shoot one of the first Fleming MP-5 size HK-91's and you would have thought you were shooting a 50...absolutely unreal night firing display

Depending on budget, my idea of a general purpose do everything g rifle is an 18" semi auto 308. Platform depends on what you prefer but mine will be a m14 platform. I currently have a 1982 all usgi sai rifle but am seriously debating a m14 scout from 762mmfirearms.com with a 1-6x ffp from swfa.com.

I am also liking the looks of the PSA ar10 receivers. I like the basic forged milspec look. Don't want a big billet set. It's priced pretty reasonable as well and accepts pmags. Could be a nice budget build with a rainier arms select 18" barrel and furniture of choice

Last edited:
Considering the OP lives in the State that he does, he might end up in a situation that requires a lot of power, but with a lot of ammunition capacity in a more compact package.

5.56 in a short carbine that stores well would be my personal choice, with a 40rd PMAG as the starter, followed by a covert chest rig. You'll also want some armor in the vehicle, look at laminating the backsides of your windows with adhesive ballistic sheets, run-on-flat tires, good protection for the engine compartment, Allison heavy duty transmission....

...or consider moving if it's that bad.

Hahaha! LRRP I didn't even check to see his state of residence until I read your post. I initially was thinking, damn this dude lives in either Iraq, NY or CA. Then I saw the MO and couldn't help but crack up.

I don't know for sure, but he might need to throw some 27 rounds of one of these into some Surefire 60 rounders...

Jason,
That is one bad toy; thanks for sharing.

As to the OP, ARs in 556 are getting back to normal pricing, and the ammo is close to pre-obummer pricing. Also as previously mentioned, a .22 conversion kit extends its usage.

Ruger scout rifle, semi-auto guns scare people (stopped by police), nice short bolt gun
in .308 put any scope on it, get extra mags.

Sounds like just about any M4 clone would do. If .223 isn't enough for you, look at 300 blackout. If you don't want something in an AR platform, get a Springfield M1A.