• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

The Fix from Q

Just get the ring adaptor and a good brake, or better yet a brake that a suppressor threads onto.

I don’t buy into their BS that shims and washers aren’t good for accuracy and so forth. Mine has the ring, a TBAC CB brake installed with a peel washer, and a TBAC ultra 7 can with the taper behind the threads which they also hate and it’s a hammer.

Reactions: midSCarolina
So here’s what I have so far. Harris mounted via 3 dollar YHM sling stud which was the correct thread for the Q sert. Swapped the grip to an Ergo flat top. I didn’t know they made these. I’m a huge fan of the ergos and they had these is 6 colors. I went with gray to match the rest of the fix. Should have done black maybe?

Athlon Midas BTR until I can get NF 4-16 money. This scope is awesome. I paid 224 for it. MSRP is around $650. Gotta love optics planet sales. Sitting in free to me NF standard duty 1.25 rings. Scope is 2.5-15x50. 24oz illuminated Christmas tree reticle in Mils and Mil turrets. Was turned onto Athlon by a friend of mine. So far I’m impressed for the money. 30mm tube.

Next up

Attachments

• 59B331A2-5C97-4BE9-952B-01F36366002B.jpeg
    59B331A2-5C97-4BE9-952B-01F36366002B.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 0544EE2E-3155-408D-ADD5-BFDBC50DFD35.jpeg
    0544EE2E-3155-408D-ADD5-BFDBC50DFD35.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 127
  • CE3E10DB-7E8E-4DC3-A0AC-1F80B9240ED2.jpeg
    CE3E10DB-7E8E-4DC3-A0AC-1F80B9240ED2.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 111
  • FA22C269-881E-4DFE-A2A7-E74BFA58AAC9.jpeg
    FA22C269-881E-4DFE-A2A7-E74BFA58AAC9.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: jljr23
What's the weight on the proof barrel?

Proof has a pretty extensive weights list on their website. Maybe they lose a TINY bit when chambered, or the barrel extension adds a TINY bit, but it gives you a pretty good idea.

The 16" 308 is 2 lb 6 oz....i bet if you ad an ounce or two you'll be really damn close to the 16" 6.5mm weigh

That's good to hear - I was kind of skeptical about it since their factory 'brake' does almost nothing to mitigate recoil - I wasn't expecting an Xzibit brake to help.. ("yo dawg, I heard you like brakes.... so we put a brake on your brake!")

Yeah I was too but it works well enough I don’t need to try something else. I still think the rifle needs the new wider buttpad that’s coming out soon but that’s more of an ergonomics thing I feel.

Put 10 rounds through the Q 22 inch 6.5 barrel. Was really windy. Only managed .742 MOA. I believe I could have done much better. It was cold and windy. This was Norma 130 match. Avg 2779 with an SD of 28.

Love this rifle. Can’t wait to get the short barrel on it and find what load it likes...

Did I mention the trigger? Best one I’ve ever felt. So clean and crisp. I don’t know how people can hate on this rifle. It’s awesome.

Last edited:
Figured out the caliber I want to try...however no barrel ext are available. Although q says in the near future but who knows what that means

the Fix rifle seems to be a great gun even with the drama . nobody seems to regret buying one
. was listening to podcast #16 - too bad -Kevin B said forums are so F##$ing ridiculous and he hates them . mentioned snipershide

the Fix rifle seems to be a great gun even with the drama . nobody seems to regret buying one
. was listening to podcast #16 - too bad -Kevin B said forums are so F##$ing ridiculous and he hates them . mentioned snipershide

have you read the internet lately??? the people on it suck

I think the feeling is mutual. Love the Fix and they have good CS, but he comes off as a grade a douche bag.

Just get the ring adaptor and a good brake, or better yet a brake that a suppressor threads onto.

I don’t buy into their BS that shims and washers aren’t good for accuracy and so forth. Mine has the ring, a TBAC CB brake installed with a peel washer, and a TBAC ultra 7 can with the taper behind the threads which they also hate and it’s a hammer.

The only good thing I can say about the Cherry Bomb and the Plan B are that it is lighter than my original setup, good for a lightweight rifle, and I dont have to worry about tooth alignment. I have had tooth alignment issues in the past.

When KB was on here early in this thread, there was one guy that was giving him grief but I dont think that guy is on here anymore.

I can score a new Fix in 6.5 for $2700 but it’s not the Tooley barrel. Rifle was made last spring, if it’s not a tooley then what is it? Was Q using GM back then? I thought that the only choices before last summer was Proof or Bartlien. $2700 is a lot for a rifle that doesn’t come with a premium barrel.

I can score a new Fix in 6.5 for $2700 but it’s not the Tooley barrel. Rifle was made last spring, if it’s not a tooley then what is it? Was Q using GM back then? I thought that the only choices before last summer was Proof or Bartlien. $2700 is a lot for a rifle that doesn’t come with a premium barrel.

If it's not engraved with Bartlein barrel markings, it is likely a Green Mountain barrel. Honestly though, if it shoots lights out do you really care what barrel it is? I'm not aware of anyone with 6.5 barrel that has had anything but sub MOA groups.

$2,700 is a good price. They had a price increase for 2019. Buy the gun, dump the factory barrel and get Dave to make whatever you want. Win Win

@NET65 I would go for it. I paid right at 2,900 because I saw one pop up with a B/T and that is what I wanted (it turned out to have a GM on it, which really set things off on the wrong foot), but I do believe that the rifle offers enough to be a keeper even if the barrel isn't necessarily something that would be considered premium. I do wish they would offer extensions so I could order my own custom barrel to have as my primary with the factory being a backup, because having to basically waste a barrel to get that done doesn't sit well with me. Maybe this company is here for the long-term, maybe not, but if the price works for you, there is no time like the present.

After my initial frustration, Q's CS really did do a good job of getting on my issue. They received my rifle Tuesday and I got a shipment notification the next morning (granted, it still just says that the label was created), but I am happy with how they handled the issue. Still not happy about being told that what Q billed as "the best hunting rifle in the world" shouldn't be expected to shoot Hornady Precision Hunter, Nosler Accubond, etc well even when other rifles do (@Movistar), but now that I realize that was pure speculation, I'm over it... kinda haha. I'm hoping that next friday will be the day that I can go out and thoroughly test it. I fully anticipate that the the rifle and B/T barrel will come through for me. The Q barrel could have easily performed just as well, it just wasn't what I wanted. But as @jljr23 said, the name on the barrel isn't what necessarily matters, and I haven't heard of anyone taking issue with the accuracy of the 6.5s.

Last edited:
Ok, for everyone who is complaining about what this rifle costs and what barrels are used and all that....i get it. It's an expensive rifle. And i get it, the whole barrel controversy is really weird and shady and kevin is a moron for ruining a relationship with bartlein/tooley.

With that being said though, here is my challenge to anyone who thinks it's not worth the money, especially with the green mountain barrels: build something similar for less. If you figure out how, for the love of all things holy please tell me how you did it because i want one too. Hell build something similar period, money no object. I don't think it can be done.

All you have to do is come up with a custom build that has a fully adjustable folding stock, full length handguard, sweet two stage trigger, is magazine fed, and has user changeable barrels without using a vice or go/no go gauges or any specialty tools. Oh, and it all has to weigh the same as the fix, under 7 pounds. If such a build is even possible, i guarantee you it costs $3,000 or more.

So here's my take, yes it's an expensive rifle, but for what it is, it's not really that expensive. Go ahead and buy one if you're thinking about it. If it won't shoot because it has a sub par barrel blank, then send the fucker to Tooley and have him make you a barrel that will. You'll still be money ahead of anything you can build that checks all the same boxes.

I don't even know if that's a possibility, since the barrel extensions are not available from Q,

I don't care what the barrel says on it, as long as it shoots. The bartlien Tooley name just gives me reassurance that if the gun doesn't shoot well, its the action or the shooter thats the problem.

He uses the extension that comes on the factory barrel. If your factory barrel won't shoot, are you really going to keep it? Can you read? Have you followed this thread at all?

I don't even know if that's a possibility, since the barrel extensions are not available from Q,

I don't care what the barrel says on it, as long as it shoots. The bartlien Tooley name just gives me reassurance that if the gun doesn't shoot well, its the action or the shooter thats the problem.

It is VERY possible. He will re-use your existing extension. I believe Movistar has just sent his out this week.

Catch up on your reading in this thread.

Reactions: DAVETOOLEY
I just wanted to know if Q was using GM barrels back last spring, Sounds like they were, thanks.

@NET65 first of all and I mean this with some hubris but also some respect: bro do you even read? Everyone who buys this rifle and shoots it loves it. So it’s obviously not over priced. Q just jacked the MSRP up to 3299-3649 depending on barrel option.

I love it. If you’re set on having B/T I get it. I feel similar but I shot my Q barrel and it’s awwsome. I’m having Tooley reuse my extension on a Proof Carbon blank that he’s chambering for me.

The right thing to do is hit up @Bmelt1409 hes got a 20 inch B/T 6.5 with blue accents for a great deal. I’d have bought his if I hadn’t already paid for my own rifle two days earlier. I paid 2538 shipped for a GM barreled 6.5.

@midSCarolina Same applies I’m not trying to sound like a phallus but you didn’t even try it. I’m happy they swapped it out for you. I’m surprised. They have been telling people “is what it is” maybe because they don’t have anymore 6.5 and still have them in 308. Who knows. But I just think expectations need to be tempered. About ammo etc. it’s all good. I love mine. I’ll never sell it. Ever. Do you see people selling because they don’t like it? nope. Used is hard to find. When was the last time you saw that with a product? Yes Kevin is a moron for ruing B/T relationship. But the gun is undeniably the coolest gun I’ve ever shot/seen/put my hands on. The only rifle I’d consider trading for it is an AXMC. But that’s 8200 bucks. Soooooooo yeah. I shot mine in 6.5 and I can tell you it isn’t the easiest rifle to shoot from a group from a bench. But understand what it is. Then work on your skills and become better. Somehow all of the sudden every single one of us is annie Oakley and we never miss.

#buttpadmod shout out to @JurrassicClark for this brilliant idea. Works like a champ. Little dremmeling is involved if you insist is be straight which I do haha. But it was easy.

Limbsaver 10806 from Cabela’s
2x 1/2 long 10-24 TPI bolts from Lowe’s
2x 10-24 TPI nuts from Lowe’s

Total cost 39.24 after tax.

Attachments

• 37575A68-B193-4378-B8A7-877A12797580.jpeg
    37575A68-B193-4378-B8A7-877A12797580.jpeg
    785.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 09FD7953-9C62-4983-848D-297C3EFB1F47.jpeg
    09FD7953-9C62-4983-848D-297C3EFB1F47.jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Did you change the pistol grip as well? Hogue brand?

Looks like an Ergo to me. Great grip. Use them on all my ARs but probably will just stay with the factory grip on the fix. Its the one time I may actually prefer the more vertical grip angle.

Last edited:
Did you change the pistol grip as well? Hogue brand?
It’s Ergo. I got it direct from their website. No tang to trim. It’s their flat top version. Offered in 6 colors. This is the “gray” but I should have done FDE or black. It’s softer than the Moe K but the angle difference is noticeable and I’m not sure I’ll keep it. It was 26 with free shipping. I’m a big fan of the Ergo as it fits my hand perfectly and I’ve run them on all my guns for years. But this one I think they might have got it right from the factory wirh the Moe K....

Last edited:
Ok I’ve had lots of people ask about the weight of the proof blank.

16.5 proof carbon 6.5 blank before chambering and cutting the inch off the end is 2lb 7.75oz

The stock Q 22inch 6.5 barrel with the cherry Bomb is 3lb 13.25oz.

Hope that helps someone.

Ok I’ve had lots of people ask about the weight of the proof blank.

16.5 proof carbon 6.5 blank before chambering and cutting the inch off the end is 2lb 7.75oz

The stock Q 22inch 6.5 barrel with the cherry Bomb is 3lb 13.25oz.

Hope that helps someone.

If you go back through this thread you will see photos Q sent me of barrels on scales. The Bartlein photo is missing a pound ?

Attachments

• 75288FE0-63D0-4478-8F37-ADB491DA55AB.jpeg
    75288FE0-63D0-4478-8F37-ADB491DA55AB.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 60
I've got a 16" Fix .308 with a GM barrel. I haven't been able to get it to shoot absolute bugholes yet, but I'm not entirely convinced it isn't me in one way or another.

I recently sent an e-mail to Q asking some questions, two of which will probably interest you guys here. Spoiler alert, they didn't REALLY tell me anything.

I want to do a 16.5"proof .308 with a 1/8 twist. So,I asked if I could buy a barrel extension. They said no, they wouldn't sell me one, but that they are in the works and will be available in the future. No time estimate was given.

I asked if they had a favorite pet-load for their 16" 308. They said that it all depended on what application they were doing, but suggested I check out offerings from Hornady or Federal.....gee, thanks a bunch, I never would've thought of that.

I really love my Fix, it is just THE SHIT as a practical rifle. Which is primarily where I play. I shoot out of vehicles, I hunt elk/deer/antelope in the fall, coyotes in the winter, bear in the spring, prarie dogs in the summer. Practical rifle is just the ticket for me, so the fact that I'm stacking two, then throwing one out 3/4-1" at 100yds is not earth shattering for me, I'm not a match shooter. That being said, little teeny tiny groups makes me happy, so hopefully I can figure it out.
Fix Pix 1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think he wants to be bombarded with obvious questions let alone the crazy ones.
True, but you should see the incredibly dumb questions people are constantly asking the Q Instagram account, which he often mentions that he runs/or is very involved in running.

@Shrubjr That 308 barrel is so thin that if someone is shooting groups I would understand why the 3rd round is walking. Maybe wait 20 min between shots haha. In all seriousness that 308 contour is meant as a hunting contour I believe. I think it’s Why none of the 6.5 owners complain about their accuracy.

Maybe temper group expectations or get a heavier barrel? Nice pic.

Reactions: Shrubjr
Look back at my post #1670, that's a 308 shooting as fast as I can get back on target at 200 yds. I have a B/T barrel but any quality barrel should do that as well. The difference may be, I haven't really had heat effect it as much. I will run 10 rds or pretty quick and I can still touch the barrel and get good groupings. I cant say that about a lot of my rifles with heavier barrels.

@Shrubjr That 308 barrel is so thin that if someone is shooting groups I would understand why the 3rd round is walking. Maybe wait 20 min between shots haha. In all seriousness that 308 contour is meant as a hunting contour I believe. I think it’s Why none of the 6.5 owners complain about their accuracy.

Maybe temper group expectations or get a heavier barrel? Nice pic.

So you are saying that after two rounds, the barrel is too hot to group consistently? The barrel profile isn't that thin and a quality barrel shouldn't have that issue regardless. I don't think that is it.

With the non Bartlein Tooley barrels? Yeah it could have something to do with the contour. It’s pretty thin isn’t it? It doesn’t make sense why the 6.5s shoot (including shortended ones via White Mamba and Hondo1) and the 308s Green Mountain barrels don’t seem to want to be a tight as people want. Barrel profile and harmonics can absolutely do that.

I don't believe my accuracy problems have anything to do with heat build-up.

I'm not entirely sure why I haven't been able to get a nice group, but its damned cold around here right now, I'm not 100% confident in my reloads, and I haven't shot much FGMM yet, but I may remedy that tomorrow, and I'm only about 110-120 rounds in, so maybe a break-in thing. Or possibly a contour thing, but I have a hard time believing that because it will stack two literally in the same hole. Also, as has been stated, it is a difficult rifle to shoot being that light. Your fundamentals have to be dialed, so it may just be the nut behind the trigger. Time will tell.

I like the form-factor enough that I'm gonna be throwing a Proof barrel in it as soon as I can though. Bet that'll help!

Last edited:
Reactions: claytonm
Anyone painting the standard barrels due to pitting/ rust? I had to bread out scotch bright pads and matte clear spray paint today . Other than that both of mine are hammers and absolutely love them.