• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Fix from Q

I can't believe this is a 12 lb rifle. It started life at 6.4 lbs and between a Scope, Mount, Bipod, Can, Sling, and a loaded 10 round Magazine now it's 12 heavy pounds. Maybe I'll find a smaller, lighter optic.

Attachments

• 308 Fix by Q 12lbs.jpg
    308 Fix by Q 12lbs.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
I can't believe this is a 12 lb rifle. It started life at 6.4 lbs and between a Scope, Mount, Bipod, Can, Sling, and a loaded 10 round Magazine now it's 12 heavy pounds. Maybe I'll find a smaller, lighter optic.

Get rid of that boat anchor scope, bipod, and a lighter silencer and you will be fine.

I know this is a little late but does anyone have a blue Big Butt (new or used) they would trade for a Black NIB one?
You can take them apart pretty easy and swap out the plastic yourself.

I found that using an extended bolt handle does not require removing the bolt in order to fold the stock. You just have to move the cheek rest one step back which makes enough room for the bolt to start to close above the stock, that way the bolt doesn't rattle around in your rifle case.

Will it not fold down over it?
IMG_20190918_191040_555.jpg

You can take them apart pretty easy and swap out the plastic yourself.
Mine has the blue on the latch and the plastic that the rubber is permenantly attached to. I switched out the adjustment part on my tan one but the color is in the different spot on the blue one. So now the only blue is above the grip. Looks a little weird and out of place being the only spot of color.

Ordered a 16" 6.5 Creedmore barrel from Q, got a delivery notice from one of the big carriers that the package was left by the front door as no adult signature was required, had my daughter swing by within 10 mins of the delivery notification and no package... contacted the carrier, by the time they got back to me a couple of hours had gone by, they started an investigation but I knew I was basically SOL without the signature required! Lesson learned, the next day I contacted Q and asked if they had insured the barrel by chance and relayed my story. A sales rep sent me an email saying a replacement barrel would be shipped asap with signature required! Well you can imagine my shocked surprise, Not Q's fault, not the major carriers fault, but they never even hesitated just said a new one would be on the way! I know a lot of folks on here don't care for Kevin or "Q" but folks this is customer service at it's finest!

Again thank you "Q"

Recent Wyoming trip with the fix and trash panda. Anyone that thinks you can't shoot distance with a 16" 308.....here is proof otherwise. The buck was taken at 480 yards and the doe was taken roughly 400 yards.
Geeze, with an LPVO type optic too? Nice job. I'm a noob.

Big butt making a decent difference to you?

I have a barely broken in 6.5cm 22” barrel with cherry bomb listed for sale here if anyone is interested.

I like this, it appears the extra holes are threaded as seen in the second photo so you can adjust the pad up or down one position. Great idea.

I like this, it appears the extra holes are threaded as seen in the second photo so you can adjust the pad up or down one position. Great idea.

The extra holes are through holes that allow adjustment of the pad up or down about .420"

However the adjustment comes from moving the larger 3/8" studs up or down. The butt pad stays in the same spot on the plate. I think it would've looked odd to have the pad overhang the plate if it went up or down.

Geeze, with an LPVO type optic too? Nice job. I'm a noob.

Big butt making a decent difference to you?

I've been hunting with LVPO for the past two years and will not go back to larger optics. I like the weight reduction and compactness that it brings to the table to compliment the rifle and never feel like I need more magnification to get it done.

I will say that it does take some practice to get use to but 1-8 is more then capable for majority of hunters out there. Most just want to rely upon magnification.

I can tell a difference between the original and the big butt. It's not monumental but it does make the rifle more comfortable to shoot. I'd buy it again.

what optic are you using on this rifle?

Trijicon 1-8 accupower with mil-c reticle. This optic is a bit more heavy then some of the other LVPOs out there but the features of being able to easily dial, mil-c reticle, and zero lock make it preffered for me. I've been running that optic for the last two hunting seasons and move it from gun to gun quite often.

Trijicon 1-8 accupower with mil-c reticle. This optic is a bit more heavy then some of the other LVPOs out there but the features of being able to easily dial, mil-c reticle, and zero lock make it preffered for me. I've been running that optic for the last two hunting seasons and move it from gun to gun quite often.

Nice. I use the accupoint 1-6 mostly. Been considering going to 1-8 but only if I can maintain the same weight as now.

Ordered a 16" 6.5 Creedmore barrel from Q, got a delivery notice from one of the big carriers that the package was left by the front door as no adult signature was required, had my daughter swing by within 10 mins of the delivery notification and no package... contacted the carrier, by the time they got back to me a couple of hours had gone by, they started an investigation but I knew I was basically SOL without the signature required! Lesson learned, the next day I contacted Q and asked if they had insured the barrel by chance and relayed my story. A sales rep sent me an email saying a replacement barrel would be shipped asap with signature required! Well you can imagine my shocked surprise, Not Q's fault, not the major carriers fault, but they never even hesitated just said a new one would be on the way! I know a lot of folks on here don't care for Kevin or "Q" but folks this is customer service at it's finest!

Again thank you "Q"
I had a similar situation with a barrel shipped from Q that came when I was out of town but when I came back it was not on my front porch but it said delivered. I have a camera system and went back to watch that days footage. I saw the USPS person come to our house but nothing big in hand. Then they went to the neighbor backed up and left quickly (I purposely do not want to view my neighbors house). I went over to my neighbors to peek and did see a package on the freakin ground in front of the garage (no coverage if it rains or anything and the neighbor does have a porch. It was indeed the barrel and the box was soaking wet - the barrel was a bit rusty but no real harm and 90% came off with aluminum foil. No issues here but carriers make mistakes all the time... Many could care less about where they put your package. You may want to check with your neighbors - this is a pretty common situation.

Last edited:
Finally got around to spinning up a short Proof barrel for mine. I knew this already, but the weight savings is minimal over the same length heavy Creedmoor barrel, about 9 ounces.

28B6C522-25A6-4E8D-AD2F-A7F16F5B3F82.jpeg

This steel barrel is in the classifieds if anyone wants it.
72DD82E2-4AD6-4012-B3A6-D9C3DA847D5B.jpeg

I pondered doing a 6 creedmoor, but in the end decided on 6.5x47. Mag fit is easy, and feeding is good. Here’s one with a 129 Accubond LR. I haven’t shot it yet, maybe tomorrow.
637BB2AA-56AE-40EB-8208-80A2D31DD92A.jpeg

It weighs 8.5 lbs with the ultra 5, bipod not included.
745937D6-3A38-4090-9842-F5AC79482047.jpeg

Attachments

• E5003771-2147-40B4-8A4D-29F50E972D61.jpeg
    E5003771-2147-40B4-8A4D-29F50E972D61.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 130
Weight difference may be minimal going to CF on your barrel, but the gangster status basically doubles.

Pimptastic indeed!

One other thing for those that are wondering, the 1.2” shank on the proof blank clears the inside of the forend, but only by about the thickness of a business card all the way around.

Shorty wants to shoot! I loaded up some 123 Lapuas .020 off, with RL16 and Varget. The suppressor was an ultra 7. The scope is a VX-6HD, 2-12, with a standard duplex reticle and no parallax adjustment.

First five rounds out of the barrel. Lucked out with the bore sight, that lone hole at 7 o’clock, then put four into a respectable group. This was 39.5 gr of RL16.
F7DEAA26-E767-4C2F-B9D9-4DE3DEC97A7C.jpeg

RL16 loads. Listed is charge weight, speed, ES and SD. Group size in the circles. 41 gr is right up there with pressure, but no sticky bolt. 41 is about all I can get into the case without going to a big drop tube.
0874DAB8-257D-42DF-9115-3B2F277BDD85.jpeg

Varget. The starting charge was nearing max. Sticky bolt by the end.

FE0EDEEC-9030-44A7-9101-8954633525B4.jpeg

Super happy so far. Rl16 has impressed in every cartridge I’ve tried it in, and the 47 is no different. The 47 feeds beautifully from the mag, or single feeding. Recoil seemed really mellow compared to the 16” creedmoor barrel I just took off. The load in that barrel was 42 gr of RL16 and the exact same bullet, which goes 2650 FPS. Off to a good start with this one.

Last edited:
That is nice! How did you go about spinning up the 16.5 inch proof barrel? I am still waiting on the 16 inch proof barrels from TAG. I hope they come like yours without the taper for the Q break. I have an Ultra 7 like you and do not like the idea of having another spacer involved that close to the muzzle. Nice shooting BTW.

I’m on the cards either 16.5” carbon proof 6mm creedmoor or 18” steel.

I want it to compliment the 20” Bartlein and 24” 6.5 creedmoor’s I have.

That is nice! How did you go about spinning up the 16.5 inch proof barrel? I am still waiting on the 16 inch proof barrels from TAG. I hope they come like yours without the taper for the Q break. I have an Ultra 7 like you and do not like the idea of having another spacer involved that close to the muzzle. Nice shooting BTW.

I dont think proof does anything but a sendero profile on these shorties. I don’t know how TAG does them, but it wouldn’t hurt to call and ask that they do a standard shoulder on the muzzle.

I omitted the jam nut at the breech end and just torqued the extension using a wrench I made. headspacing is done like any standard barrel.
C1417C9C-7200-4096-9C66-600C1BE36A69.jpeg
6EDEE65E-0741-4745-9608-3565796FB94C.jpeg

Last edited:

Per the specs from TAG firearms they come with a tapered muzzle.

I dont think proof does anything but a sendero profile on these shorties. I don’t knoe how TAG does them, but it wouldn’t hurt to call and ask that they do a standard shoulder on the muzzle.

I omitted the jam nut at the breech end and just torqued the extension using a wrench I made. heafspacing is done like any standard barrel.View attachment 7170824View attachment 7170826
Can you post a picture of the wrench? I need one

Can you post a picture of the wrench? I need one
Super simple. It’s a round shaft with a single raised spline that engages one of the large slots in the extension. I milled a hex in the other end. I’m traveling right now, and don’t have access to a pic.

I just got my 16" 308 proof barrel from TAG and it has the Q taper on the barrel so you are gonna need the taper adapter. Love the barrel though. Mine seems to have more clearance than a business card around the inside of the handguard. Does proof use a thinner contour than Supersubes did??

Weight difference may be minimal going to CF on your barrel, but the gangster status basically doubles.

The factory 16" Proof barrel I got from TAG in 308 saved 2 ounces over the lightweight contour factory B/T 308 barrel in 16". I wanted to maintain or decrease a little weight but wanted a heavier contour to maybe be able to shoot a little more without the thing walking around on me so fast.

I just got my 16" 308 proof barrel from TAG and it has the Q taper on the barrel so you are gonna need the taper adapter. Love the barrel though. Mine seems to have more clearance than a business card around the inside of the handguard. Does proof use a thinner contour than Supersubes did??
With the quantity they probably bought, they could have had whatever they wanted. I think the oem FIX barrels are 1.150 or thereabouts. I can’t recall exactly.

Reactions: DAVETOOLEY
With the quantity they probably bought, they could have had whatever they wanted. I think the oem FIX barrels are 1.150 or thereabouts. I can’t recall exactly.

This. Q spec'd out the barrel tenon to be a smaller diameter than what Proof builds other barrels to, I'd bet Tag used the same spec to build their barrels to. That way there isn't any fit issues.

Last edited:
This. Q spec'd out the barrel tennon to be a smaller diameter than what Proof builds other barrels to, I'd bet Tag used the same spec to build their barrels to. That way there isn't any fit issues.

the barrels from Tag are Factory Proof prefits.

Awesome to hear the 16” carbon save weight over factory .308 steel barrel

I know that, but proof has different tenon diameters that they make. It's likely Tag would've spec'd out the smaller diameter for a better fit. That's probably why the barrels were done as a preorder, Tag may have had a minimum order to get these barrels built that weren't previously offered by Proof.

I know that, but proof has different tenon diameters that they make. It's likely Tag would've spec'd out the smaller diameter for a better fit. That's probably why the barrels were done as a preorder, Tag may have had a minimum order to get these barrels built that weren't previously offered by Proof.

I don’t think Tag have spec’d anything. They are supplying proof prefits.

Does Tag sell any other 16" caliber barrels? I got on the preorder for a 6.5 barrel ( don't really know why I already have a 22" proof in 6.5) other than it looks cool. Is the Tag a Sendero profile?

Awesome to hear the 16” carbon save weight over factory .308 steel barrel
They are proof made pre-fits, but outside of ordering from TAG, they’re a non-cataloged item. I’m curious to see what their contour and shank diameter is.

Proof’s catalog is gradually evolving, but the only small shank barrels they make are 1.13, and they don’t make those in short lengths for example. I had no opportunity to buy anything but a 1.2” shank sendero contour for any 16.5” blank, regardless of bore diameter. TAG’s order could kick off some new contours though, in the same way Special Purpose Rifles kicked off Desert Tech blanks.

FWIW my 6mm Creed Fix that was a factory proof barreled model measured 1.1995” at the fattest part of the cylinder with certified Browne and Sharp dial calipers. Yet supposedly 1.20” shank barrels won’t work...

They are proof made pre-fits, but outside of ordering from TAG, they’re a non-cataloged item. I’m curious to see what their contour and shank diameter is.

Proof’s catalog is gradually evolving, but the only small shank barrels they make are 1.13, and they don’t make those in short lengths for example. I had no opportunity to buy anything but a 1.2” shank sendero contour for any 16.5” blank, regardless of bore diameter. TAG’s order could kick off some new contours though, in the same way Special Purpose Rifles kicked off Desert Tech blanks.

The prefits are on the proof research website. You can order from any proof research dealer. You don’t have to order from TAG.

TAG haven’t done anything special here. They haven’t spec’d their own barrel from proof.

I posted the link to proofs website already.

B1723577-2067-48A3-80AE-326190A9058F.jpeg

Reactions: Hondo1