• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Fix from Q

Thanks for the responses guys.
I’ve heard a lot of bad experiences with CA and since I won’t have any factory support for either rifle, that alone and the fact the MPR is more money here is enough to convince me.

If the bolt lift isn’t an issue and it actually has been fixed and they balance well then I guess that’s my mind made up because those were the only things I was suspect on. Everyone seems to love everything else about the rifles except maybe the top rail being super sharp from what I’ve heard? But the shorter rail is an option if giving up some stiffness in the handguards mounting turns out to be a non issue.

Be interesting to see someone gets hands on with a Merkel KR1 and The Fix and see how much of the bolt/trigger they copied but overall I like most of the design. Seems like the perfect rifle to throw a 1-8/2-10 on and go hunt pigs with and use as a modern reimagining of the scout rifle/if you could only own one rifle. Which is ultimately how I’ll set it up I think.

How’s the cherry bomb, is it very blasty with the short barrel? Here we can’t have suppressors and I don’t know how keen I am on a non directional brake kicking up debris everywhere. Shame the bottle rocket brake add on isn’t directional either.

If I was looking for maximum recoil suppression, I would swap the cherry bomb for something better. It works, and the current calibers are not exactly heavy recoiling, but something like an APA would be my first choice. I've only shot the cherry bomb over grass, so I can't comment on throwing debris and stuff, just recoil reduction.

How is everyone’s bolt lift? I was able to spend some time with my rifle today and cycled the bolt about 300 times, lift doesn’t seem to be getting any lighter. I may try some grease on the mating surfaces and see what happens.

Has yours been back to Q at all for the bolt lift?

I emailed a question about replacing the top rail screws (my early Fix had a screw that barely touched the barrel) and they actually gave me a label to send the rifle back. Their communication was pretty poor, but essentially they added that they wanted the rifle back to fix the heavy bolt lift that it would likely have. I could tell that mine probably had the heavy lift, but I was just going to shoot it a bit to see if it improved before talking to them, but since they issued a label I just went with it.

I got it back last week and the bolt lift definitely feels improved, so that might be worth exploring for you.

Has yours been back to Q at all for the bolt lift?

I emailed a question about replacing the top rail screws (my early Fix had a screw that barely touched the barrel) and they actually gave me a label to send the rifle back. Their communication was pretty poor, but essentially they added that they wanted the rifle back to fix the heavy bolt lift that it would likely have. I could tell that mine probably had the heavy lift, but I was just going to shoot it a bit to see if it improved before talking to them, but since they issued a label I just went with it.

I got it back last week and the bolt lift definitely feels improved, so that might be worth exploring for you.
Roughly what serial number is your rifle? In the 100s?

Roughly what serial number is your rifle? In the 100s?

Mine is actually less than 100.

I don't mean to be sneaky about it, I don't really know what potential repercussions there are for publicly stating a firearm serial #, so I assume it is best to just not, hah.

From what I can tell (and was told), I had found a preordered gun that the original purchaser reneged with the dealer on and happened to be the configuration I preferred (22" 6.5cm). At least I got a cute blue d-bag too, haha.

I’m in the 290’s it should be up to date.

Sorry man, just figured it would be worth a check.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the noob question, but do you guys do any kind of break in on these barrels, or is that not as much of a thing as it used to be?

Sorry for the noob question, but do you guys do any kind of break in on these barrels, or is that not as much of a thing as it used to be?

Just shoot it and clean it when you get home the first few times. After that leave it alone till groups open up.

Reactions: claytonm
Just for the opportunity to shoot the Fix out to 1000 I shot a local F-Class match this weekend. I got some funny looks with my whole setup weighing less than most other shooters barrels, but the rifle performed great. Taking the muzzle brake off (required for high power matches) and firing 80 shots from the prone really highlighted the inadequacy of the recoil pad. My shoulder is going to take a few days to recover.

Anyone come up with their own "fix" for the one shortcoming of this rifle? I am going to try adapting an off the shelf pad without loosing the ability to fold the stock and adjust the butt plate. I know Q says they have something in the works, but after waiting 6 weeks for a taper adapter that was "in stock any day now" I have once again decided to take the initiative myself.

Still loving the rifle, I see no reason this couldn't replace all of my bolt action rifles!

Just shoot it and clean it when you get home the first few times. After that leave it alone till groups open up.
Not to jump on with additional “noob” question, but would you recommend using a copper cleaner, or just a regular ole Hoppes bore cleaner.
Had a long discussion with a friend who was adamantly pushing for me to do a barrel break-in, but since I’ve put 160ish rounds through it. I didn’t see the point. All I ever do is run a bore snake with some hoppes bore cleaner.

Not to jump on with additional “noob” question, but would you recommend using a copper cleaner, or just a regular ole Hoppes bore cleaner.
Had a long discussion with a friend who was adamantly pushing for me to do a barrel break-in, but since I’ve put 160ish rounds through it. I didn’t see the point. All I ever do is run a bore snake with some hoppes bore cleaner.

Go get some BoreTech eliminator and also get a real cleaning rod. I'd recommend the Tipton Carbon Fiber rod with the Tipton ultra jag and a bunch of round cleaning patches. That will clean much better than a bore snake.

As stated above get a quality cleaning rod, I’m personally a fan of Wipeout. Since I started using that I no longer use brushes.

I have Fix on order, but won't receive it till late this year. I have a few questions about the Cherry Bomb muzzle device. Unfortunately, I live in a state that won't allow me to leverage it as a silencer mount.....so:

1. Is the Cherry Bomb effective in reducing recoil and keeping the rifle on target? I'd prefer to spot my own shots but expect that may be difficult even with the best muzzle device given the weight of the rifle. What effect does the "Bottle Rocket" have on recoil management?

2. Do the radial holes on the Cherry Bomb throw up dirt like other / similar muzzle devices? Does their Bottle Rocket help? Can the Bottle Rocket ports be timed?

3. Am I just better off replacing the Cherry Bomb with a standard brake? Assuming I replace it with another 5/8x24 muzzle device, I know I would need the taper adapter. What is the best way to time the new muzzle device? If I use a jam nut, the taper adapter may be loose. It seems like I would have to use a crush washer or precision ground timing washers.

Reactions: Stoweit
I have Fix on order, but won't receive it till late this year. I have a few questions about the Cherry Bomb muzzle device. Unfortunately, I live in a state that won't allow me to leverage it as a silencer mount.....so:

I'd defer to any wiser folks here, but below are my thoughts re: Cherry Bomb:
1. It works but isn't amazing. I'd say with 6.5 cm you should be able to spot shots, no idea w/ .308.
2. It does kick up dust - I was shooting my Fix from a truck bed with the muzzle over the ground and it still kicked up dust from the ground to tailgate height. I doubt the Bottle Rocket will help w/ dust, no idea on recoil management. It's a brake for your brake, so probably?
3. Keep an eye out for the taper adapter and grab one if you see it in stock, since they are cheap you can always resell or give it away when they go out of stock again. Hit me up if you still don't have one by the time your Fix arrives as I may be ready to part with mine by then. I believe timing washers/shims would be the way to go to properly time your muzzle device.

Reactions: Rootshot
Question: What does a stock standard Fix ship with? I vaguely remember it being stated it came with Pic rail section and the barrel nut wrench. Is that right? Or is that just the special pre-order ones?

Question: What does a stock standard Fix ship with? I vaguely remember it being stated it came with Pic rail section and the barrel nut wrench. Is that right? Or is that just the special pre-order ones?

Mine came with two rail sections, two magazines, and a trifolded sheet of crate paper that serves as an owners manual.

Reactions: Just Macca
Mine came with a barrel nut wrench, but I think thats because I ordered another barrel at the same time. Not sure.

If you have a Bartlein/Tooley barrel no break in is required. What you are "breaking in" in a quality precision barrel is the throat. Freebore and lead angle. Not the bore. I have a proprietary treatment I do to every barrel that leaves the shop to eliminate the need for a break in period.
All that's needed is clean, very light coat of oil for the first shot on any clean dry barrel. Then shoot it.

If you have a Bartlein/Tooley barrel no break in is required. What you are "breaking in" in a quality precision barrel is the throat. Freebore and lead angle. Not the bore. I have a proprietary treatment I do to every barrel that leaves the shop to eliminate the need for a break in period.
All that's needed is clean, very light coat of oil for the first shot on any clean dry barrel. Then shoot it.

Nice, thanks for the reply and additional info Dave!

can you expand on very light coat of oil. Any particular brand? Application method?

Thanks

can you expand on very light coat of oil. Any particular brand? Application method?

Thanks

Any light oil will do. A few drops on patch and work it in. If you had to lay a motorcycle down would you rather slide on wet pavement or dry pavement? Having done it I would have preferred wet pavement. A bullet down a squeaky clean barrel will lay down some copper. After that you have powder fouling for lubrication.

Reactions: Akdodge88
new video on their 8.6 creedmoor Fix

The fact that I already have a TB .338ba makes this very appealing to me. How ever I don’t think I’d be standing in line to get set up for .338 just for this one purpose.

The fact that I already have a TB .338ba makes this very appealing to me. How ever I don’t think I’d be standing in line to get set up for .338 just for this one purpose.
I don't have any 338 suppressor support and don't think I would have any interest in this at all. I'm surprised at the massive fire balls out the end of the suppressor too. Usually you don't see much of that..

I was looking at this rifle. That is a pretty bold statement. I mean, it looks like it has a place, a niche, but replace all rifles?

So far I wouldn’t say it’s a replacement for all of my rifles. Biggest reason being the mag length limitations. If I could only keep one it would be my Desert Tech, I have an AIAX as well and I think I’d hold on to the Fix over it just due to the weight. Overall I think Q has done a fantastic job on this rifle and it definitely warrants consideration.

Reactions: Dai Bando
I was looking at this rifle. That is a pretty bold statement. I mean, it looks like it has a place, a niche, but replace all rifles?

I stand by what I said that for ME iit could replace all of my BOLT ACTION rifles, and I would add the caveat of centerfire to that.

Browning X Bolt Western Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor- The Fix is about a pound heavier, but the folding stock helps with ease of carry. I see no reason that the Fix could not replace that gun.

Pierce actioned 308 win w/XLR evolution chassis- The Fix is several pounds lighter and has similar accuracy. The Fix would not be as good for PRS because the recoil management challenges in comparison, but I also don't shoot F-Class or PRS to win, its for fun. For PRS I could see some instances where having a complete rig at less than 9 pounds would be beneficial, and also some where it would be less beneficial.

Remington 700 308 Win 16.5" in MDT LSS chassis- I built this as a fun suppressor host that was really handy. The fix could easily replace this with a 308 Win 16" barrel swap, and would be considerably lighter and handier if the Bartlein 16" barrels become available again.

I have a huge stable of semi-auto gas guns that fill their own niches for life and liberty/recreational purposes that the fix would never replace. I also have a couple CZ 455's in 22 that I put hundreds if not thousands of rounds through a month.

The mag length restrictions are not an issue for me. In my experience and for my skill level, mag length SAAMI spec 6.5 Creedmoor hand loads are more than adequate of doing the job. The added benefit of mag compatibility with some of my 308 gas guns is a win in my book, and loads that performed well out of the Browning are performing well out of the Fix, so I dont have to worry about keeping loads for each gun segregated if I got in a pinch.

I know there are those out there who have bolt guns they love that the Fix could never replace, but for me its checking a lot of boxes for my current needs and I think there's something to be said for being very familiar with one rifle/scope.

I stand by what I said that for ME iit could replace all of my BOLT ACTION rifles, and I would add the caveat of centerfire to that.

Browning X Bolt Western Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor- The Fix is about a pound heavier, but the folding stock helps with ease of carry. I see no reason that the Fix could not replace that gun.

Pierce actioned 308 win w/XLR evolution chassis- The Fix is several pounds lighter and has similar accuracy. The Fix would not be as good for PRS because the recoil management challenges in comparison, but I also don't shoot F-Class or PRS to win, its for fun. For PRS I could see some instances where having a complete rig at less than 9 pounds would be beneficial, and also some where it would be less beneficial.

Remington 700 308 Win 16.5" in MDT LSS chassis- I built this as a fun suppressor host that was really handy. The fix could easily replace this with a 308 Win 16" barrel swap, and would be considerably lighter and handier if the Bartlein 16" barrels become available again.

I have a huge stable of semi-auto gas guns that fill their own niches for life and liberty/recreational purposes that the fix would never replace. I also have a couple CZ 455's in 22 that I put hundreds if not thousands of rounds through a month.

The mag length restrictions are not an issue for me. In my experience and for my skill level, mag length SAAMI spec 6.5 Creedmoor hand loads are more than adequate of doing the job. The added benefit of mag compatibility with some of my 308 gas guns is a win in my book, and loads that performed well out of the Browning are performing well out of the Fix, so I dont have to worry about keeping loads for each gun segregated if I got in a pinch.

I know there are those out there who have bolt guns they love that the Fix could never replace, but for me its checking a lot of boxes for my current needs and I think there's something to be said for being very familiar with one rifle/scope.

I agree that the fix does check a lot of boxes for SA rifles. The problem I think you would run into is that you would want multiple Fix rifles over having only one and a bunch of barrel replacements. For me, the fix is a great gun and super handy and shoots well. But I would have to have 2-3 of them if I was replacing other guns.

I don’t buy a one gun solution. I think a 6.5 creed or 308 would be an excellent all around. It sometimes I need the magnum cases. Once the 338 creed numbers come out, that will be something. If it can sling those bullets with a decent velocity it may be something

Reactions: JurrassicClark
I have to ask- how heavy is everyone’s bolt lift? Once I get the bolt open it’s smooth but opening it is not impressive. If I run it fast/aggressive it works, but it is noticeably heavier than tikka actions I’ve messed with, my buddy’s customs guns (obviously) and I’m pretty sure 700s (its been a while since I’ve messed with one. Should I send it back to Q? I’ve talked with them, and I’m over 200 rounds and still not impressed with the bolt ease/“smoothness”. What do you guys think? My two biggest concerns are
1- turn around time. I love shooting it, just not impressed with the bolf loft
2-looking like an idiot and then telling me it’s normal and to stop being a picky bitch

I just purchased the q lock sling attachment. How are you guys that have swings attaching to the stock?

I have to ask- how heavy is everyone’s bolt lift? Once I get the bolt open it’s smooth but opening it is not impressive. If I run it fast/aggressive it works, but it is noticeably heavier than tikka actions I’ve messed with, my buddy’s customs guns (obviously) and I’m pretty sure 700s (its been a while since I’ve messed with one. Should I send it back to Q? I’ve talked with them, and I’m over 200 rounds and still not impressed with the bolt ease/“smoothness”. What do you guys think? My two biggest concerns are
1- turn around time. I love shooting it, just not impressed with the bolf loft
2-looking like an idiot and then telling me it’s normal and to stop being a picky bitch

My fix bolt lift was heavy for about the first 75-100 rounds and seemed to lighten up on its own.

I just purchased the q lock sling attachment. How are you guys that have swings attaching to the stock?
There is a QD attachment point built into the stock.

I can’t speak as far as turn-around on sending one back, but if it’s that big of a concern, it doesn’t hurt to send it in.
Playing with mine when I got it, I thought the bolt lift was heavy, but after dry firing it a bunch and running ~200 rounds through it, I feel like it was me not being used to a 45deg bolt.
If you’re worried about looking like a fool, I’d dry fire it a bunch to get used to it and then maybe hit the range and see if it helps.

My bolt is so easy to lift, I sometimes don't realize I have hit the apex.

The chopped down 6.5 barrel shows up tomorrow along with a 200 round case of 6.5cm 143gr Eldx ammo. I'll post my findings when I get some rounds down range.

Mine is headed to Dave as soon as my wrench shows up. Having it shortened and also having some heavy fluting done. Hopefully drop around 12oz

Reactions: cleric
The chopped down 6.5 barrel shows up tomorrow along with a 200 round case of 6.5cm 143gr Eldx ammo. I'll post my findings when I get some rounds down range.
I’m looking forward to your thoughts on the shortened barrel. I don’t have one to get chopped down, but may have to get one made. A shortened barrel seems like a good option for hunting purposes.
Will you just be testing out velocities, or see how it handles at different ranges?

I am curious how hard these can be pushed in terms of pressure. Lightening up an 18in creed and still pushing 143s with velocity to have some range

I am curious how hard these can be pushed in terms of pressure. Lightening up an 18in creed and still pushing 143s with velocity to have some range

The barrels are 1:7 so that will effect how hot you can run them. Out of another 18” 6.5 Creedmoor that I have I get 2710 with 140’s. I’m hoping for close to the same speed.

I’m looking forward to your thoughts on the shortened barrel. I don’t have one to get chopped down, but may have to get one made. A shortened barrel seems like a good option for hunting purposes.
Will you just be testing out velocities, or see how it handles at different ranges?

I will have my magnetospeed on it. I'll be able to shoot 700 right off the patio so I'll have some quick data comparisons without having to go anywhere.

I have no reloading components for 6.5 and don't have plans to any time soon. Plan to just shoot factory ammo out of it. I do have some 140 eld match also I'll throw that through it too.