• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Fix from Q

Thanks for the info. I have also got a proof barrel on route. I’m kinda thinking a simple QD cup on the side of the hand rail would have been a better option. It’s done now so I’ll see how I get on when it lands. Can you post some more photos of your set up.
Here’s my setup with the 16” .308 barrel. I’ll be hitting the range this weekend and switching over to my proof barrel and will try to get a picture of that too.
I bought the short top rail, didn’t like the look or feel of the full length plus it makes barrel changes quicker. I have 3 QD sling mounts currently installed to test out where I like them installed best, will take 1 or 2 off when my mini-Fix arrives. I’m running the Nightforce NXS 5.5-25x50, this was my first venture into high end optics, Vortex rides the rest of my rifles, so I feel that it may be a bit heavy. I’d like something lighter and more compact.

Attachments

• 091887A8-03EE-41E0-8D15-1915E4C173E5.jpeg
    091887A8-03EE-41E0-8D15-1915E4C173E5.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 222
My setup Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 on a Geissele 20 moa mount. I use a Harris with the a D-loc at the range. I broke down and bought the plan b and it is easier than the ASR but I don't know if it is better since I have never shot any cans downrange.

This past weekend I found my stock was loose at the back of the receiver has anyone else noticed this?

IMG_00881.jpg

Hey guys, got my Fix on the way, I really appreciate the information on what is a surprisingly under reviewed rifle. does anyone have a barrel wrench they want to loan out? I’ll be pulling off the 6.5 ASAP for the 308 to feed it for free at work. Much appreciated

Hey guys, got my Fix on the way, I really appreciate the information on what is a surprisingly under reviewed rifle. does anyone have a barrel wrench they want to loan out? I’ll be pulling off the 6.5 ASAP for the 308 to feed it for free at work. Much appreciated

I have a barrel wrench in Colorado. Where are you located?

Has anyone tried magazines other than the Magpuls? If so what did you come up with?

Thanks

Does Larue or KAC make anything other than 20rd mags? I’d like 5 or 10 rounders.

I bought a couple 10rd Kac and had some 20rd already that I use almost exclusively for the fix. The 10s are perfect. The 20s and Larue 20s as well seem to be looser in the mag well so the front of the mag sits too low to hit the feedramps correctly and they don't want to feed. I shimmed them with a strip of Velcro and then they work fine.

Reactions: Hondo1
I bought a couple 10rd Kac and had some 20rd already that I use almost exclusively for the fix. The 10s are perfect. The 20s and Larue 20s as well seem to be looser in the mag well so the front of the mag sits too low to hit the feedramps correctly and they don't want to feed. I shimmed them with a strip of Velcro and then they work fine.

I dont seem to have that issue with the 1 Larue I have. I think the magwell is loose on the fix in general. Could be tighter in my opinion.

Has anyone tried magazines other than the Magpuls? If so what did you come up with?

Thanks

I haven’t tried any other mags, but when I was getting a bit of bolt drag with my PMAG’s, I knocked down the feed lips and lubed the bolt and rails.

I dont seem to have that issue with the 1 Larue I have. I think the magwell is loose on the fix in general. Could be tighter in my opinion.
I'm not sure it's any looser than a typical ar but it is shallower so any play is exaggerated. I know of another who had the same feeding issues with Larue mags

I'm not sure it's any looser than a typical ar but it is shallower so any play is exaggerated. I know of another who had the same feeding issues with Larue mags

Good to know. Thanks for that info. I don't have many rounds through the larue mag and the fix. I won't buy any more larues if others have issues. I do like the KAC 10rd mags. Just finding them at a decent price seems to be a challenge.

You're probably going to have way better luck contacting Q directly - I don't think he's posted here in months...

Dude. I got this...

I went. I saw. Drank some rum. You should have been there.

Saw some pretty cool accessories coming down the pipe for those q-sert fans like myself. No Eta. But the prototypes were on the money.

Shouldered the Fix pistol brace. While the Honey Badger pistol brace was spectacular the Fix brace is a head scratcher with its LOW cheek height. One of the guys joked that it was the perfect height for iron sights while I was there. And it is. Similar to the stock on a blaser r8. Or the traditional remington 870 stock cheek height only being useful for a bead sight barrel—and garbage with the higher rifle sights or ghost rings. If you are a nv user like myself I’m sure you could rig up something to work. I just didn't understand why they didnt design something with a more ideal shape. Not an adjustable cheek. Just something that more closely resembles the stock outline with the cheekpiece extended. In all truthfulness it was the first dissapointing thing i have seen from them. This is coming from someone who will likely end up buying one because I NEED the pistol receiver to hunt certain areas.

The 8.6 creedmoor was everything I wished the .338 spectre would have been. I will be grabbing one of the barrels when they become available. I reached out to my Hornady contacts on the drive back to ensure I have my name on some of the first run of brass. Take that however you want to.

Dude. I got this...

I went. I saw. Drank some rum. You should have been there.

Saw some pretty cool accessories coming down the pipe for those q-sert fans like myself. No Eta. But the prototypes were on the money.

Shouldered the Fix pistol brace. While the Honey Badger pistol brace was spectacular the Fix brace is a head scratcher with its LOW cheek height. One of the guys joked that it was the perfect height for iron sights while I was there. And it is. Similar to the stock on a blaser r8. Or the traditional remington 870 stock cheek height only being useful for a bead sight barrel—and garbage with the higher rifle sights or ghost rings. If you are a nv user like myself I’m sure you could rig up something to work. I just didn't understand why they didnt design something with a more ideal shape. Not an adjustable cheek. Just something that more closely resembles the stock outline with the cheekpiece extended. In all truthfulness it was the first dissapointing thing i have seen from them. This is coming from someone who will likely end up buying one because I NEED the pistol receiver to hunt certain areas.

The 8.6 creedmoor was everything I wished the .338 spectre would have been. I will be grabbing one of the barrels when they become available. I reached out to my Hornady contacts on the drive back to ensure I have my name on some of the first run of brass. Take that however you want to.
Nice to hear!!
Any chance a larger butt pad was “in the works”?
I thought the cheek weld looked low on the pictures of the miniFix brace. Only thing I could speculate at for it being low, is to stay within ATF regulation of it being a brace and nowhere near an actual stock.
Hopefully they will offer a 16” 8.6cm barrel so I don’t have to convert my Fix to an SBR.

I caught these couple of pics in Q's instagram stories last week - looks like they are officially into non-Bartlein/Tooley barrels for the base Fix rifle. Probably already common knowledge, and I'm not really sure how much it matters, but figured some might at least find it interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_9936.PNG
    IMG_9936.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_9935.PNG
    IMG_9935.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 213
Given that 338 Federal tops out at about 2450 with 225gr bullet, I think getting 285s to move at 2300 will be a bit iffy without excessive pressure, but I've been wrong before.

Significantly larger 338-06 barely get to 2450fps with 250gr.

2200 with 285gr ELD out 8.6CM should be very doable though and that is nothing to sneeze yet.

There are other tricks in terms of lethality and energy delivery that I think they are playing with the 8.6CM, so I can't wait until it's ready.

ILya

Given that 338 Federal tops out at about 2450 with 225gr bullet, I think getting 285s to move at 2300 will be a bit iffy without excessive pressure, but I've been wrong before.

Significantly larger 338-06 barely get to 2450fps with 250gr.

2200 with 285gr ELD out 8.6CM should be very doable though and that is nothing to sneeze yet.

There are other tricks in terms of lethality and energy delivery that I think they are playing with the 8.6CM, so I can't wait until it's ready.

ILya

2200 at my elevation still looks pretty good. Supersonic to 1475 yards and still packing 1000lbs at 1225!
That fact that I already have a .338 suppressor is making this very appealing.

I emailed them the other day asking about this since the stock recoil pad is probably the worst one I've ever dealt with. They said its in the works and should be released soon but no ETA. I expect in 2 years or so.

I emailed them the other day asking about this since the stock recoil pad is probably the worst one I've ever dealt with. They said its in the works and should be released soon but no ETA. I expect in 2 years or so.
I've seen prototypes. Maybe two different ones. It wasn't that important to me so I didn't really ask. They look good, shape wise. A lot will depend on what material they are made of. That I did talk about as I cannot stand sticky butt pads. No clue on timeline. I was there in May or so. They had a lot more prototypes since my last visit. I don't speak for them but I would be surprised if it happened this year. Especially as we approach hunting season...

I can say in just a few months they have more guys running around and more equipment on the floor. More workstations. Their capacity really is increasing. What affect this will have on getting accessories to market is unclear.

Anyone had the weird urge to paint theirs yet? I’m like real close to just full sending it, haha.

I put the 8.5" rail on this weekend after also swapping to the 16" .308 barrel. Feels like a completely different gun than the 22" 6.5. I hope to use this setup for deer season this fall and then swap back to 6.5 for recreational shooting this winter/spring.

My first barrel swap went pretty smoothly, looks like I didn't mar anything and it wasn't too bad to torque the barrel nut down. The most annoying part of the process is probably the T25 that goes into the bottom of the handguard from the front.

Aside from the weight differences, I really like the feel of the slim handguard without the pic rail on top. Has anyone done any testing if the shorter rail has any significant negative impact on accuracy? I believe Q mentioned originally that the full length rail helped stiffen things up.

Special thanks to @TSean @tinytigers and @J-Hon for helping me get to this point guys. Literally everyone I've interacted with here has been awesome and I'm really appreciating it.

I haven't been able to shoot this configuration yet, but I think I can make it out this week if the weather holds off.
IMG_9966.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9966.jpg
    IMG_9966.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I would be curious as to the effect of the 8.5" rail as well. My initial thought was that it might actually help with accuracy, as any vibrations from the end of the rail would be less likely to transfer down to the receiver. But... that is just some theory. Let us know how it works out for you.

BTW - looks like you have the Magpul bipod on your Fix, how do you like it?

R,
jmw

Last edited:
I put the 8.5" rail on this weekend after also swapping to the 16" .308 barrel. Feels like a completely different gun than the 22" 6.5. I hope to use this setup for deer season this fall and then swap back to 6.5 for recreational shooting this winter/spring.

My first barrel swap went pretty smoothly, looks like I didn't mar anything and it wasn't too bad to torque the barrel nut down. The most annoying part of the process is probably the T25 that goes into the bottom of the handguard from the front.

Aside from the weight differences, I really like the feel of the slim handguard without the pic rail on top. Has anyone done any testing if the shorter rail has any significant negative impact on accuracy? I believe Q mentioned originally that the full length rail helped stiffen things up.

Special thanks to @TSean @tinytigers and @J-Hon for helping me get to this point guys. Literally everyone I've interacted with here has been awesome and I'm really appreciating it.

I haven't been able to shoot this configuration yet, but I think I can make it out this week if the weather holds off.
View attachment 6950319

I dont think the rail has much to do with accuracy on a free float rail/barrel system. Not sure what it would "stiffen up". You could take the rail off and it wouldn't make a difference IMO. But maybe so other reason I am overlooking....?

I dont think the rail has much to do with accuracy on a free float rail/barrel system. Not sure what it would "stiffen up". You could take the rail off and it wouldn't make a difference IMO. But maybe so other reason I am overlooking....?

Yeah, I think I pretty much agree and I am sure it isn't even worth worrying about. In one of the deep-dive videos from Kit Badger on YouTube, Nick from Q mentions the purpose of the full length rail was for additional stiffness, so that was really my only reason for asking (reference video is about 6min, 10 sec in: )

BTW - looks like you have the Magpul bipod on your Fix, how do you like it?

Yep, but I only got it a little over a week ago - was backordered from a Labor Day sale, got it for about $87 I think. My 2 cents so far - the large adjustment knob is easy to use and the pan/tilt seems to be pretty smooth. The biggest negative I've seen so far is that I think the leg height adjustment tabs are plastic and potentially prone to failure - but we'll see, I'm sure Magpul will take care of people with issues. I think this is going to be a really compelling alternative to a Harris for some people, and potentially even turn some higher-dollar Atlas or Accu-Tac buyers. I personally thought it was worth trying while I wait to see if Q ever comes out with their CF bipod.

If you had the right machining tools it would be really cool to make a new top end of the mount into a Q-sert adapter to get it even more low-profile.

Question about barrel changes.
Has anyone figured out a good trick to removing the old barrel? That is the hardest part of the process for me to change calibers. It seems like I can strip and reassemble the rest of the rifle in the same amount of time as just pulling the barrel.

On a side note, I do prefer the 8.5” top rail, definitely makes changing barrels faster, and seems to balance the rifle out better with a suppressor on it.

Question about barrel changes.
Has anyone figured out a good trick to removing the old barrel? That is the hardest part of the process for me to change calibers. It seems like I can strip and reassemble the rest of the rifle in the same amount of time as just pulling the barrel.
Sorry, I don't think I understand. Are you having issues taking off the barrel nut, or is the T25 that clamps the receiver to the barrel being difficult?

Sorry, I don't think I understand. Are you having issues taking off the barrel nut, or is the T25 that clamps the receiver to the barrel being difficult?
No difficulties with those parts. I have issues removing the barrel from the receiver. It just seems that it once the barrel but is removed, the receiver is very tight around the barrel. Yes, I loosen the pinch bolt too. Once the old barrel is removed, the new one goes in fine. I’ve changed the barrel about a dozen times, switching between .308 and 6.5cm, always with the same two barrels and the issue is the same with both.

No difficulties with those parts. I have issues removing the barrel from the receiver. It just seems that it once the barrel but is removed, the receiver is very tight around the barrel. Yes, I loosen the pinch bolt too. Once the old barrel is removed, the new one goes in fine. I’ve changed the barrel about a dozen times, switching between .308 and 6.5cm, always with the same two barrels and the issue is the same with both.

Ah, interesting. I didn't find my 6.5 barrel difficult to remove at all once the nut is removed and the clamp screw was loosened. I would say it was snug, but it still slid right out without much force (and I'll never claim to be a strong man, haha). I'll followup someday once I swap the 6.5 back, if there is a difference.

I tried ASC 10rd mag with no problems. I believe they let you have a longer oal as well.

Yep, ASC is the second longest I found at 2.874 with KAC coming in 2.895 vs 2.825 in the pmags. Applied ballistics has a magazine internal coal sheet available. Going to have to Google it though

Edit: found it, it's listed as c products due to some changes at that company
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/AppliedBallisticsMagazineLengths.pdf

The ASC 10 rounder has a massive internal spring. I cut nearly half off of mine and supposedly Q does the same to the pmags included with the rifle. It was so bad with 5 rounds in feeding a round was really difficult. Spring tension now is around what an AICS gives and it feels and feeds wonderfully.

Reactions: Hondo1
Yep, but I only got it a little over a week ago - was backordered from a Labor Day sale, got it for about $87 I think. My 2 cents so far - the large adjustment knob is easy to use and the pan/tilt seems to be pretty smooth. The biggest negative I've seen so far is that I think the leg height adjustment tabs are plastic and potentially prone to failure - but we'll see, I'm sure Magpul will take care of people with issues. I think this is going to be a really compelling alternative to a Harris for some people, and potentially even turn some higher-dollar Atlas or Accu-Tac buyers. I personally thought it was worth trying while I wait to see if Q ever comes out with their CF bipod.

If you had the right machining tools it would be really cool to make a new top end of the mount into a Q-sert adapter to get it even more low-profile.

I'm interested in it for the weight as well. Does it allow the legs to lean forward a little during preload like an Atlas? I love that about the atlas and believe it helps consistency

Mini Fix Pistol is sexy!

Attachments

• 961B7D77-D7A0-4393-B893-86BCBB24B9C4.jpeg
    961B7D77-D7A0-4393-B893-86BCBB24B9C4.jpeg
    584.5 KB · Views: 255
  • CCA59C2F-8E51-4E5B-9567-13E5E4BEA3D9.jpeg
    CCA59C2F-8E51-4E5B-9567-13E5E4BEA3D9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
  • 93FBD11F-842B-4089-85BE-268322D86D8E.jpeg
    93FBD11F-842B-4089-85BE-268322D86D8E.jpeg
    474.5 KB · Views: 201
That pistol brace is very nice! Where did you get it? Now makes me want to research the laws in California to see if I put that on my FIX with a shorter barrel....

R,
jmw

That pistol brace is very nice! Where did you get it? Now makes me want to research the laws in California to see if I put that on my FIX with a shorter barrel....
It's from Q's Instagram account, they are not available yet.

I don't know CA laws, but AFAIK in general at the Federal level a rifle cannot be legally converted to a pistol. A pistol CAN be converted to a rifle, but never back. But yes, please research, I may be completely wrong.

It's from Q's Instagram account, they are not available yet.

I don't know CA laws, but AFAIK in general at the Federal level a rifle cannot be legally converted to a pistol. A pistol CAN be converted to a rifle, but never back. But yes, please research, I may be completely wrong.

Good to know - thanks!

R,
jmw