• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Fix from Q

Any guys who got the first round of Big Butts here - how are you liking it? Decent reduction in recoil impulse?

Went by a dealer to pick up a LMT MRP rifle yesterday. Left with a BT 308 barrel he had on the shelf. He had a ss proof as well for the same price. Hopefully I made the right choice.

My B/T 308 barrel is sub moa with 175 fgmm all day, still currently looking for a sub moa hunting load though. I can consistently hit out 800 yards and have had hits a 1150 yards, it was tough though.

Any guys who got the first round of Big Butts here - how are you liking it? Decent reduction in recoil impulse?

I dont think it’s worth it. It’s bigger, but just as hard as the little one. I feel no difference at all.

It’s a blue one if anyone wants it. Only used for about 20 rounds.

I thought it was way better, going from flat hard plastic to something with some cushion, on the 308 I get the difference the next day.

I already sold my blue to another member after ordering the black today. On small run parts I’ve learned over the years to buy what you can when you can.

I got bored and impatient waiting on q to deliver a ball knob bolt handle. 7/8" is the perfect size. It's just a delrin ball that I drilled a 15/32 hole about halfway through. It actually fits very snug just as a press fit. Cycling and dry firing with snap caps it feels pretty nice. I may epoxy it and dye it if it works out.

I just got my delrin ball tonight and tried to replicate this. It's a good thing I ordered two. First one spun in the vice and then exploded. Second took some careful padding and pressure from vice and still cracked but otherwise works. I could repair the crack inside with superglue (it'll bond/weld this plastic) but I'm thinking of order a few more and trying again.

How did you go about drilling yours?

I just got my delrin ball tonight and tried to replicate this. It's a good thing I ordered two. First one spun in the vice and then exploded. Second took some careful padding and pressure from vice and still cracked but otherwise works. I could repair the crack inside with superglue (it'll bond/weld this plastic) but I'm thinking of order a few more and trying again.

How did you go about drilling yours?

I think I used a DeWalt(?) pilot point bit to drill a pilot, 1/4 or 5/16 and then stepped up to final size. Run the drill fairly fast so it doesn't take a big bite and grab so hard.

I ended up pulling it back off to try to drill it a bit deeper but it never fit as well again. I need to order a few more.

I think I used a DeWalt(?) pilot point bit to drill a pilot, 1/4 or 5/16 and then stepped up to final size. Run the drill fairly fast so it doesn't take a big bite and grab so hard.

I ended up pulling it back off to try to drill it a bit deeper but it never fit as well again. I need to order a few more.

Ahh thats probably my problem! My press is set somewhere around 320rpm i believe. I'll speed it up and keep the pressure low and I bet it'll go much easier.

As for this one, I found some instructions on using rit dye to blacken it. I'll give it a try and report back.

For attachment I was thinking hot glue. It should be high enough temp to hold on a hot sunny day but not so much I couldnt warm it up with a lighter later and remove it.

edit: thank you again for posting the info-- it got me motivated to do it!
This is where I got mine, 10 of them for about 7$
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRXHENW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Ahh thats probably my problem! My press is set somewhere around 320rpm i believe. I'll speed it up and keep the pressure low and I bet it'll go much easier.

As for this one, I found some instructions on using rit dye to blacken it. I'll give it a try and report back.

For attachment I was thinking hot glue. It should be high enough temp to hold on a hot sunny day but not so much I couldnt warm it up with a lighter later and remove it.

edit: thank you again for posting the info-- it got me motivated to do it!
This is where I got mine, 10 of them for about 7$
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRXHENW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I ordered a bag with several sizes. I may try a 3/4". With the 7/8 my index finger hits it slightly if I'm going to the mag release. Haven't had time to fool with it since.

Well, I've been jonesing for a Fix for a while and was able to get one through a buddy a month or so ago. Maybe even better, Q has agreed to supply him with barrel extensions!

Not only did he cut my 22" 6.5 CM barrel down to 17", but he spun up a 243AI barrel for me as well! He has a great relationship with Gary Schneider so I went with a Sendero contour Schneider barrel with poly rifling, 1-10 twist, deep 1/4" ball fluting, finished at 22", 5/8x24 muzzle and he recut the Q/Sig taper on both barrels.

I should have it in my hands by early next week. The rifle with the 243AI barrel weighed in at 7.1lbs.

I do a lot of predator hunting at night with thermals and I'm excited to switch to this rifle with my NVision Halo-LR from my previous 243AI which weighed in at ~18lbs pre scope!

Kind of hoping the supposed velocity increase from the poly rifling will counter going to 22" from my previous rifles 26" barrel.

The pic in the case is with the 17" 6.5CM barrel.

The one on the ammo can is the 243AI.

Attachments

• IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    592.8 KB · Views: 226
I picked one up with the 24" proof barrel in 6.5 CM. It shoots lights out if you really slam it into your shoulder. I don't like that it is cut for the cherry bomb because that gap looks out of place when you put a normal effective muzzle break on the thing. I live in CA so maybe I'm just but hurt about not being able to own a silencer... any way, I also dislike being held to factory OAL due to mag selection. SR-25 mags only...

For me it is a hunting rifle that I can go bang steel with at 1400 if I want. Over all I'm happy with it.

Reactions: Rootshot
I picked one up with the 24" proof barrel in 6.5 CM. It shoots lights out if you really slam it into your shoulder. I don't like that it is cut for the cherry bomb because that gap looks out of place when you put a normal effective muzzle break on the thing. I live in CA so maybe I'm just but hurt about not being able to own a silencer... any way, I also dislike being held to factory OAL due to mag selection. SR-25 mags only...

For me it is a hunting rifle that I can go bang steel with at 1400 if I want. Over all I'm happy with it.
Kac and I believe ASC will get you out to 2.86-87 oal if you're not already using them. Larue also but they only make 20rd mags last I looked.

Reactions: Behindenemylines
I ordered a bag with several sizes. I may try a 3/4". With the 7/8 my index finger hits it slightly if I'm going to the mag release. Haven't had time to fool with it since.

I made one of these to make drilling it perfectly center possible. You use the bit you made the large hole with as an alignment tool and then clamp the bottom of the fixture. Then change ti the bit you want to drill with and put the ball in.

Attachments

• ball_drill_jig_ills.gif
    ball_drill_jig_ills.gif
    22.5 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Well, I've been jonesing for a Fix for a while and was able to get one through a buddy a month or so ago. Maybe even better, Q has agreed to supply him with barrel extensions!

Not only did he cut my 22" 6.5 CM barrel down to 17", but he spun up a 243AI barrel for me as well! He has a great relationship with Gary Schneider so I went with a Sendero contour Schneider barrel with poly rifling, 1-10 twist, deep 1/4" ball fluting, finished at 22", 5/8x24 muzzle and he recut the Q/Sig taper on both barrels.

I should have it in my hands by early next week. The rifle with the 243AI barrel weighed in at 7.1lbs.

I do a lot of predator hunting at night with thermals and I'm excited to switch to this rifle with my NVision Halo-LR from my previous 243AI which weighed in at ~18lbs pre scope!

Kind of hoping the supposed velocity increase from the poly rifling will counter going to 22" from my previous rifles 26" barrel.

The pic in the case is with the 17" 6.5CM barrel.

The one on the ammo can is the 243AI.

Has he got the extensions now?

Hey Guys, I was trying to use the older Gen M2 20LR Pmags in the Fix and found they will not work without a small modification on the back near the top of magazine. The M2 has more of a V shape and it has to be changed to the square shape found in the newer Gen M3 20LR Pmags. The M2 also seem to fit a little more snug in the mag well because they don't rock back and forth as much like the 10 round Pmags, and they still fall free when you eject them. You can use a dremel tool or a hand file, go slow and remove just enough material until they will lock in. M3 on the left with the green follower and M2 on the right with the black follower.

Attachments

• Magpul M3vsM2.jpg
    Magpul M3vsM2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Ball jig worked perfectly. Rit dye did not. Will be trying a different brand

Attachments

• 20190921_195032.jpg
    20190921_195032.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20190921_184001.jpg
    20190921_184001.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 94
So I figured how to take the butt pad apart and its a pretty simple design. This might make it easier for the guys that want to do the limbsaver. Just align the lock in the gap between the rubber on the backside and push the lock in as far as it will go and use a small pick to push down on the tab that holds the small plastic piece and it all slides apart. Don't drop the springs.

Attachments

• 20190925_191316.jpg
    20190925_191316.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: esw004 and Sjc141

We offer a 90 degree shoulder adapter if you desire to replace the Cherry Bomb. It fills in the gap that you are referencing.

Thanks for the support and input.

We offer a 90 degree shoulder adapter if you desire to replace the Cherry Bomb. It fills in the gap that you are referencing.

Thanks for the support and input.

Any word on when more Cherry Bombs will be hitting the market? I'm still waiting for my Thunder Chicken to get released from ATF jail, but I would like to get my other rifles set up. 1 more 1/2x28 and 2 more 5/8x24. Plus I'm curious if the bottle rocket gives any better recoil reduction than the cherry bomb alone.

Any word on when more Cherry Bombs will be hitting the market? I'm still waiting for my Thunder Chicken to get released from ATF jail, but I would like to get my other rifles set up. 1 more 1/2x28 and 2 more 5/8x24. Plus I'm curious if the bottle rocket gives any better recoil reduction than the cherry bomb alone.

Hi.

We are just back ordered on most things, including muzzle devices. Production has increased, and is continuing to increase, it is just not quite keeping up with demand. Try Silencer Shop, etc. too. Every time we post muzzle devices on our site, they seem to sell out within hours.

Two Cherry Bombs are included with every Thunder Chicken and Trash Panda.

The Bottle Rocket adds two additional chambers to the Cherry Bomb muzzle brake. It’s only two purposes are to protect the exterior threads of the Cherry Bomb and to further reduce recoil.

Try Bauer precision. They had them on hand the other day

Hi.

We are just back ordered on most things, including muzzle devices. Production has increased, and is continuing to increase, it is just not quite keeping up with demand. Try Silencer Shop, etc. too. Every time we post muzzle devices on our site, they seem to sell out within hours.

Two Cherry Bombs are included with every Thunder Chicken and Trash Panda.

The Bottle Rocket adds two additional chambers to the Cherry Bomb muzzle brake. It’s only two purposes are to protect the exterior threads of the Cherry Bomb and to further reduce recoil.

Much appreciated Kevin. I already have the two included cherry bombs allocated, but I have another AR and a couple of bolt guns to outfit. Plus, I want to get one for my hunting partner. He doesn't have a can, and I want to facilitate sharing mine in the deer blind.

Pew-Pew-Pass, if you will.

Reactions: Kevin Brittingham

All I know is I got to shoot one last weekend with the stock pad/piece. Damn that thing was uncomfortable, even with the can on it. If you can get anything better it would definitely help.

Hi Kevin,
Any timeframe when the Fix Barrel Nut Wrench will be back in production?
It’s been out of stock for many, many months and I would sure like to buy one.
Thanks

Decided I couldn't wait a year for the 6.5 Fix so I purchase one in 308. Now I can't wait for a ball bolt handle, and since I have a friend with a milling machine decided to make one. It is so much better. The only downside I can find is you have to remove the bolt to fold the stock. I can live with that. The red PEX in the photo is to give some extra leverage when you disassemble the bolt
This is how.
Purchased an M6*25 metric threaded ball from ebay The ball is just under an inch with a metric thread that is the correct size to tap 1/4 20. I couldn't find a 1" ball with a brass insert threaded 1/4 20 so had to make one.
Made a wood jig to support the bolt handle in a vertical position. Draw an outline of the bolt on a scrap piece of cedar fence and hand cut the outline with a dremel tool. Cedar is soft enough once you have the basic shape cut out you can clamp in a vise for the final fitting. Then square the edges of the jig so the bolt handle will sit vertical in a milling vise.
Center the bolt handle in the milling machine and cut the hole. The bolt was a little hard so a carbide cutter is best.
Tap the hole 1/4 20. I think that's the best size to fit the size of the bolt handle. 5/16 24 is too big.
Degrease the parts, put it together with blue loctite and your set to go.
To switch it back to stock all you need is a 1/4 20 black hex button head screw and a little trimming. Have Fun

Attachments

• Fix #1.jpg
    Fix #1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Fix #2.jpg
    Fix #2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Fix #3.jpg
    Fix #3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Fix #4.jpg
    Fix #4.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Fix #5.jpg
    Fix #5.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 145
That New SIG Rifle?
Yes, there's a new rifle on the way, too, maybe, and that's about all we know for now other than the name: TREAD.

From Shooting Sports Retailer

@newguy2k3v2

I found a decent attachment method I wanted to share. I drilled and tapped a hole for a small 4-40 set screw and used these little nylon tipped set screws from mcmastercarr to prevent it marring the handle. The pic of it on the handle is woth a small set screw I made to test it. The perfect length seemed to be these 3/16th long screws. They sit a little below the surface of the 7/8 know so I bet they will work with a 3/4"

Attachments

• 20190927_130136.jpg
    20190927_130136.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20190922_194934.jpg
    20190922_194934.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 80
@newguy2k3v2

I found a decent attachment method I wanted to share. I drilled and tapped a hole for a small 4-40 set screw and used these little nylon tipped set screws from mcmastercarr to prevent it marring the handle. The pic of it on the handle is woth a small set screw I made to test it. The perfect length seemed to be these 3/16th long screws. They sit a little below the surface of the 7/8 know so I bet they will work with a 3/4"

Looks simple. Excellent. Did you figure out why dying didn't take? What color did you use?

Looks simple. Excellent. Did you figure out why dying didn't take? What color did you use?

I tried both liquid rit black dye and dylon powder black. The rit actually got some color to take and the dylon didnt at all. I think it could be the plastic is a similar type of acetal to Delrin but not actually delrin. Delrin is a POM E type which can be dyed and there are several others that are POM C which cannot.

I am tempted to try rit again but with a higher concentration and more salt+vinegar (helps it somehow)

Different material, I think this is ABS. It drilled wonderfully and was nearly press fit. I dont think I can get it off without putting the handle in a vise

Attachments

• 20190928_110107.jpg
    20190928_110107.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Reactions: FMJ and Gotlag1789
Need the help of the Hide Fix shooters collective.
I want to change my barrel but I need the Fix barrel nut wrench tool.
I would love to buy one or better yet borrow/rent one from a member.
I’ll pay shipping both ways plus rent/beer money to use it.
Help a brother out lol

Help a brother out lol

I can send you the “loner”. I’m working out of town this week so I can’t ship till Monday.

Help a brother out lol

I have the small one I can loan ya. PM me your info and I’ll get it out today.

Any new info floating around about the 8.6 creedmoor? Would love to have a fix chambered for it but havent heard anything about it in the last year.

I found that using an extended bolt handle does not require removing the bolt in order to fold the stock. You just have to move the cheek rest one step back which makes enough room for the bolt to start to close above the stock, that way the bolt doesn't rattle around in your rifle case.

Attachments

• Q 1.jpg
    Q 1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Q5.jpg
    Q5.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Q4.jpg
    Q4.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Q3.jpg
    Q3.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Q2.jpg
    Q2.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 185
Does anyone have a light weight contour 16” 6.5 barrel? Good results with accuracy? Worth it?

I had LRI chop a Q 6.5 GM barrel down to 17” and it has been great. Kid just took his first antelope at 430 yards with it last weekend. I have a 16” Proof barrel that I shoot and it works well too. I used the Q barrel for the kid to add a bit more weight to help with the recoil. He’s only just
85D77F97-D79B-4349-BD9D-9887780AAF39.png
10 so these lighter guns test his fundamentals a bit more.