• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    By Ted Hoeger “@Jack Master”

Gone are the days of doing long mental math on the shooting line or in the field. Ballistic calculators have advanced shooting to a new level that make things easy on the brain. The only downfall to a ballistic computer is being able to adjust to changing wind direction and speed quickly. As a shooter, the ability to read the wind and make quick adjustments will increase our hit percentages. Using a ballistic computer to look up two wind values from 2 directions can be long and tedious. If you have the time and opportunity, a ballistic computer is usually your best solution, but what about when you don’t have a ballistic computer, are in a place electronics don’t work or need a faster method? We are shooting further at smaller targets than ever, so having a solid starting wind call is a must.

A Quick Wind Lesson

When making wind calls, we need to know the crosswind speed. We need to know how much of the wind blowing at an angle to...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
    Ted, please do yourself a favor and copyright your rose before that one guy steals it. This should be in every military manual. We need to see that happens and you get the proper credit.

Frank and Marc you need to do the same thing with the weaponized math. Capt dandruff is just waiting to jack it.

It’s like a wiz wheel For the short wind formula but better...

Ted is not only intelligent, but a true gentleman. I was fortunate to shoot next to him. When I ran into difficulty, he was a voice of calm. "Slow down. Calm down. Deal with it. Work the fundementals." Not a direct quote but it's the gist of it.

I think "Jackmaster" has put a ton of time into this. Its solid information. His work is what will take those who use it to the next level.

Thanks Ted, Frank and Marc for the work that you do. Much appreciated.

Back in the 2014 I got kinda similar wind roses from one scandinavian sniper. He said they got it from Ruag.
    Screenshot_20201111-110422_OneDrive.jpg

This one I made for 7,62×51 mm M80 round (147 grains if I’m not wrong).
    So basicaly its almost the same. In grey area we have a wind speed in m/s. Around it we have corrections in clicks or if you divide it from 10, it will be in mils.
    In the center shooter can insert they DOPE for that distance and on top you have corrections for none even distances and temperature.
    Its kinda handy for new marksmen training.

Last edited:
    HP shooters have had versions of this for years (probably got it from the military). Usually it is something handed down for a particular ammo, unless one makes their own (made my own in Excel about 10 years ago). This is by far one of the nicest versions - and definitely the best presentation & explanation - that I've ever seen. Very cool 👍

Reactions: DScorp
    Back in the 2014 I got kinda similar wind roses from one scandinavian sniper. He said they got it from Ruag.
    View attachment 7468611
    This one I made for 7,62×51 mm M80 round (147 grains if I’m not wrong).
    So basicaly its almost the same. In grey area we have a wind speed in m/s. Around it we have corrections in clicks or if you divide it from 10, it will be in mils.
    In the shooter can insert they DOPE for that distance and on top you have corrections for none even distances and temperature.
    Its kinda handy for new marksmen training.
    Thanks for sharing!
    I looked at these when I was making the corrected wind rose. I didn't like this idea because it only works for one rifle at these distances. Plus it was not broken into enough angles to get accurate holds. I understand they work, they were just to narrow and could not be applied across many platforms. Even in this one rifle, If you change bullet, powder or even elevation you're back at square 1 making new data that only works for 4 yardages. I just wasn't a fan.

A prime example is the 800m ring - 6mps wind coming from 11pm is 2.2 mils and 10pm is 3.8 mils. What do you do when the wind is 5mps at 10:30? It becomes to much mental math to do this quickly with these numbers. Even if you did do it, (mental process: 38-22 = 16__/2=8 __ +22 = 30, 23-13=10__/2=5__+13=18. Now i have to decide between 3.0mils and 1.8 mils. This leaves a pretty big guessing game after the mental math. What the hell do you do if the target is at 860m? I have to do this process at 800 and at 900 an then do it a 3rd time for between them.

These have merit in a place and time. (beware of the man with one gun) but they just didn't give me the precision I needed for multiple ranges with multiple guns with multiple bullets. The corrected wind rose with the Gum Mph system does this for me.

Great chart. My mind looks at it a bit off so maybe this may make sense...or not. I changed the degrees on the first ring outside of the shooter on my copy to reflect 180 degrees directly behind the shooter. As I don't intend to memorize the chart and will direct reference the chart when needed, if I turn my head past 90 degrees to the right or left, the next indicator would read 105 degrees instead of 75 degrees. As noted in the article, it may be easier for folks to memorize the 15 degree increments from behind starting at zero, the same as the front. I know, it might sound a bit off but it makes more sense to me that way as it's more positional on the perspective of the shooter.

Great chart. My mind looks at it a bit off so maybe this may make sense...or not. I changed the degrees on the first ring outside of the shooter on my copy to reflect 180 degrees directly behind the shooter. As I don't intend to memorize the chart and will direct reference the chart when needed, if I turn my head past 90 degrees to the right or left, the next indicator would read 105 degrees instead of 75 degrees. As noted in the article, it may be easier for folks to memorize the 15 degree increments from behind starting at zero, the same as the front. I know, it might sound a bit off but it makes more sense to me that way as it's more positional on the perspective of the shooter.
    Thanks. I thought about changing the degrees several times. I thought of what you mentioned as well. I also thought about doing 0 to 360 like a compass since that is how some ballistic apps enter it into their program. In the end I just stuck with the number needed for the math. To each thier own.

No worries. Just a comment and not trying to change anything. I like how it is divided equally down each side and I simply carried it down instead of reversing past 90 degrees. It all works and I suppose most won't pay much attention to it as the data that affects the shot begins in the next ring where the percent of wind value comes into play. As long as I know what direction I am pointing and what direction the wind is from, the specifics of what I changed on that first ring don't really matter.

Last edited:
    Thanks for sharing! This, plus the weaponized math, should be a huge help for a novice like me. Been reading all I can and trying to incorporate that info in my range time. I think I'll start the online training vids next (y)

When I first looked at the chart, I thought “woah that’s a lot of numbers.” But after reading the explanation it makes perfect sense and I really like what this chart does for us. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Reactions: Jack Master
    Is the vertical component of wind something to take into account, or is it too minor to matter/accounted for some other way? Thinking in valleys and canyons where the sun lighting up or dropping off a slope results in down or updrafts.

I really like how intuitive this is, just took me a bit to work through the explanation and understand how it all comes together in practice.

Sorry for being a bit thick...
    But where does the 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 numbers come from on the example?
    The downloaded rose chart is blank in the 12, 6, clock positions.

Wind from 12 & 6 o'clock do not effect windage but the rise and fall of the bullet.

Wind from 12 o'clock "pushes" the bullet down, 6 o'clock pushes it up.

Sorry I was not clear.
    In the article the Rose you download has "Zero" values in the 12 & 6 clock positions.
    Then in the example shown the positions are filled in with 5, 10, 15, 20, 25.
    Just wondered why, it's confusing me...not unusual!

Sorry I was not clear.
    In the article the Rose you download has "Zero" values in the 12 & 6 clock positions.
    Then in the example shown the positions are filled in with 5, 10, 15, 20, 25.
    Just wondered why, it's confusing me...not unusual!
    I created this chart 2 ways. I like the 5-10-15-20-25 in the 12 and 6 positions to help read the chart faster. If the wind is at 11 its easier to start from the 12 column and move around the circle to 11. Some fellas asked for the zeros in the 12 and 6 because this is technically the correct value to use.

I created this chart 2 ways. I like the 5-10-15-20-25 in the 12 and 6 positions to help read the chart faster. If the wind is at 11 its easier to start from the 12 column and move around the circle to 11. Some fellas asked for the zeros in the 12 and 6 because this is technically the correct value to use.
    I got it now, that makes sense.
    Cheers

I'm sure I'm missing it but why the 2 different percentages in the 2 center rings?

Thanks Jackmaster for putting this out there. It’s some of the best info I’ve ever found on the net and has greatly helped my wind skills

Reactions: Jack Master
    This is an oldie from a rimfire group. Is there an update which accounts for both bullet spin as well as wind speed?
    (Obviously this one was designed with a right hand twist in mind)

Attachments

• 2BFC5CD7-6400-4E6A-BC13-E38B5DC9112B.png
      2BFC5CD7-6400-4E6A-BC13-E38B5DC9112B.png
      310.9 KB · Views: 289
    BAA0E2DC-9620-4038-8C8A-2ABC6D687ECB.jpeg

This is another slightly newer variant of the above, again based on right hand twist.

This is an oldie from a rimfire group. Is there an update which accounts for both bullet spin as well as wind speed?
    (Obviously this one was designed with a right hand twist in mind)
    This is Aerodynamic Jump (AJ). AJ is something that we need to manually account for. There is not a wind rose that takes it into account. The AJ is usually such a small value you cannot include it in a traditional wind rose. As an estimate; AJ is about 1/10mil or 1/3MOA for each 10 mph wind speed from 3 or 9 o'clock. This effect is very small compared to the wind deflection. Yes, it's important on small targets, but still a small value.

3 o'clock wind at 10 MPH - 500yd target - wind call can be ~1mil. AJ is 1/10th mill upward. (subtract 1/10 from your drop data)
    3 o'clock wind at 20 MPH - 500yd target - wind call can be ~2mil. AJ is 2/10th mill upward. (subtract 2/10 from your drop data)

See how this AJ value is way smaller than the wind call? This makes it very hard to put it on a wind rose. In most cases, if the wind is fast enough to get AJ then AJ will probably not be the reason you are missing the target. Its the wind call that is much harder to get correct.

Reactions: obx22
    This is Aerodynamic Jump (AJ). AJ is something that we need to manually account for. There is not a wind rose that takes it into account. The AJ is usually such a small value you cannot include it in a traditional wind rose. As an estimate; AJ is about 1/10mil or 1/3MOA for each 10 mph wind speed from 3 or 9 o'clock. This effect is very small compared to the wind deflection. Yes, it's important on small targets, but still a small value.

3 o'clock wind at 10 MPH - 500yd target - wind call can be ~1mil. AJ is 1/10th mill upward. (subtract 1/10 from your drop data)
    3 o'clock wind at 20 MPH - 500yd target - wind call can be ~2mil. AJ is 2/10th mill upward. (subtract 2/10 from your drop data)

See how this AJ value is way smaller than the wind call? This makes it very hard to put it on a wind rose. In most cases, if the wind is fast enough to get AJ then AJ will probably not be the reason you are missing the target. Its the wind call that is much harder to get correct.
    Would that be regardless of cartridge? Say a .22LR @ 500yds?

Would that be regardless of cartridge? Say a .22LR @ 500yds?
    I can understand the instruction to disable it after looking with .22 LR and would be interesting to know the reality given how wildly velocity variation affects things at distance.

Strelok shows the same .1-.2 for .22 LR, Genesis and ColdBore show 1.2-2.3 MIL.

Reactions: obx22