• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

As mentioned above the other three extensions are different. They are made to ONLY take the same size bolt it was shipped with. You can not put a .470 bolt in a .540 or .585 extension. You can take a .470 and use it in another .470 extension. I think Barrett did this to make the gun GI proof. Notice these bolts are the same and can be used in either extension. My 300 PRC bolt (not shown) also has the cut out at the rear of the bolt and will not fit into these extensions nor my original 300 WM extension (non cut out bolt) nor any other size extension.

IMG_0008.JPG

Keep in mind I am not addressing differences in headspace from one bolt to another within the same bolt face size from extension to extension. Headspace needs to be set for the bolt you are using with the extension being used.

Hopefully my explanation makes sense.

Dare I ask what that cost you in comparison to the ones from Barrett? Also I assume it is designed to work with existing bolt head that you already had?
I think the proof prefits come with a headspaced bolt

Reactions: BURZ
@TheChris
Quoting myself from post #1875 in this thread:
The barrel extensions(barrel makers kit from Barrett come with a bolt head, the parts for the bolt head and instructions/diagram of how it’s all supposed to go together. You can do pretty much any barrel profile you want but you need at a Minimum a 1.25 inch diameter shank for at least 5 inches. Back in late 2020 I ordered some modified palma contours from bartlein; Light palma 6.5saum, medium palma 300norma and 338 lapua and a heavy palma for 37xc.

The only bartlein contour that meets the 5inch shank requirement without a special order is the #9 heavy varmint.

New: you can re-use the barrel extension from a shot out barrel if you have a competent smith.
So far smiths that have done the barrel makers kit and spun up custom barrels: GAP, LRI, Spartan Precision, Bugholes, PVA.
I have a 300NM MRAD on the way, thanks to a hide member. Simple question that I think I know the answer to but want to confirm: the only OEM option to replace a shot-out barrel is to order the barrel conversion kit. Is that correct, or will Barrett support a barrel-only swap some other way so you don't have to also buy a new bolt and mag? Again, my understanding is you have to buy the kit or go aftermarket.

I picked up a Proof Carbon caliber conversion in 300prc for my MRAD. Is anyone else shooting this? How is it shooting?
I’ve got a 300PRC barrel on mine. Is shooting decent with the factory hornady ammo. I am about to start load dev, I have 5 boxes of the Berger 230s and 8 of the 245s. Might get a 300NM barrel for it and am thinking of keeping the 245s for that barrel.

Dare I ask what that cost you in comparison to the ones from Barrett? Also I assume it is designed to work with existing bolt head that you already had?

If I told you what I’d pay you’d die (in a good way). 1/3 of new or less 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks Scarlett

Hey ScarlettRed - I started playing with my trigger assembly and learned the internal components. eventhough it's easy, this will be my first trigger spring change and I want to make sure I'm messing with the right parts. The blue circle has the 1st stage trigger and the red the 2nd stage correct? I measured out my 1st stage trigger pull and it's ~ 1 lb to 1.25 lb trigger pull. The total pull was 3 lbs so I presume the 2nd stage was ~1.75-2 lbs. This was tested several times with everything in place.

The product number you gave, what was that for exactly? I figure that if I want to get my overall trig pull wt down to 1.25-1.5 i have to lighten the 1st stage to 1 lb so I have a second wall correct? Which variation of springs did you buy and play with?

Really appreciate your help with this.
Sorry I missed your post. Been rather busy. Give me a bit and I'll see if I can give you more info. I only got springs for the second stage. I read somewhere that there could be some function issues if you lightened up the first stage too much. The reason I had a variation of springs was that it was an experiment so I bought a few. The first 4 were way too light. I lucked out on the last spring as it worked. Lee spring jacks you bad on shipping so I'd order the one I suggested or stiffer. I'll see if I can get you more info soon

Reactions: Luka
Bad Day:cry:I guess my Mk22 MRAD is toast.... I just discovered a significant crack in the receiver while cleaning my gun room. Last time I shot the rifle the accuracy dropped off significantly at the end of the day. I thought it was me and went home. I hope Barrett will take car of me??

Attachments

• IMG_9455.jpeg
    IMG_9455.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 351
Bad Day:cry:I guess my Mk22 MRAD is toast.... I just discovered a significant crack in the receiver...
Sorry to hear your rifle is down with this issue. Please post up what the explanation / root cause is determined to be. Good luck.

I wonder if that's the issue we saw on the last page manifesting in the upper? Looks like quite stress riser with the way those two surfaces come together where the upper is used to clamp the barrel. I wonder if we'll see those blended soon.

Reactions: jmornoinf and BURZ
Bad Day:cry:I guess my Mk22 MRAD is toast.... I just discovered a significant crack in the receiver while cleaning my gun room. Last time I shot the rifle the accuracy dropped off significantly at the end of the day. I thought it was me and went home. I hope Barrett will take car of me??

I wonder if this is the issue that was posted up above. Metallurgical issues on issued MK22's

Reactions: ilikebmxbikes
Sorry to hear your rifle is down with this issue. Please post up what the explanation / root cause is determined to be. Good luck.
Will do. I submitted a RMA request today. Until now, the rifle exceed expectations

Update - Barrett is going to replace under warranty. Great CS so far

Thanks Scarlett

Hey ScarlettRed - I started playing with my trigger assembly and learned the internal components. eventhough it's easy, this will be my first trigger spring change and I want to make sure I'm messing with the right parts. The blue circle has the 1st stage trigger and the red the 2nd stage correct? I measured out my 1st stage trigger pull and it's ~ 1 lb to 1.25 lb trigger pull. The total pull was 3 lbs so I presume the 2nd stage was ~1.75-2 lbs. This was tested several times with everything in place.

The product number you gave, what was that for exactly? I figure that if I want to get my overall trig pull wt down to 1.25-1.5 i have to lighten the 1st stage to 1 lb so I have a second wall correct? Which variation of springs did you buy and play with?

Really appreciate your help with this.
I looked up my old invoice. Lee Spring part #LC 016A 02 S316. Don't go lighter than this size. You'll still have to crank the set screw as you still need some tension. It made my mrad trigger fantastic.
ScarlettRed,

Thanks for the help with this. With your insight, I was able to get the spring, make the change and get my rifles trigger exactly to where i wanted. I ended up ordering the product # you provided, got the spring in a few days and swapped it out. The result: 1.5 lb crisp trigger pull. the swap ended up taking a few minutes and saved me a bunch of money. Thanks again!

Damian

Awesome to hear. Just test the function a lot to make sure it's safe. I always test fire to get used to the pull weights before firing. My second stage is set reasonably light so you can pull right through it if your used to another 2 stage trigger. I dont know if you filed any travel out of the sear, just be extra careful as you dont want an unsafe trigger. My trigger is easily one of if not my best trigger after the mods. I sold my TRG m10 largely due to the stiffer than desired trigger. That and the fact that I shoot the mrad far better.
ScarlettRed,

Thanks for the help with this. With your insight, I was able to get the spring, make the change and get my rifles trigger exactly to where i wanted. I ended up ordering the product # you provided, got the spring in a few days and swapped it out. The result: 1.5 lb crisp trigger pull. the swap ended up taking a few minutes and saved me a bunch of money. Thanks again!

Damian

Since they are rarer than rocking horse shit here, and will probably never be available, has anyone 3D printed an MRAD bag rider?

Can anyone with an MRAD and factory 17” .308 barrel share load data for what their rifle likes. Mine didn’t seem to be loving 168 SMKs. If this info already exist, sorry — I didn’t see it.

Which PN / serial is your rifle? the serials are sequential and give an indicator of the batch

We have some barrel makers kits here in two sizes: A for Lapua and Norma cartridges and B for 300 WM and PRC. As of now these will only be available with the purchase of a barrel job labor. We’re not stocking barrel blanks but we’ll be happy to source them or use customer supplied blanks. Pricing is $450 for the Barrett parts kit and $550 for barrel job labor complete including muzzle threads in your choice of size and thread pitch. Barrel blank price depends on where we find them on the open market but expect that to be about $450-$475.

Call us at 208-454-9695 or email [email protected]

Lowlight approved this post (mods see Frank)

Thought everyone would want to know

Thread is TL DR but after handling a couple of MRADs in the last month or so it has me contemplating one in 300 prc down the road. Less I’m missing something is there a more affordable quick change system ranging from 308-338/300 norma?

Also are you stuck with the stock trigger? Not that it’s bad per se but it was more reminiscent of like an sig legion than a nice bolt rifle trigger.

Thread is TL DR but after handling a couple of MRADs in the last month or so it has me contemplating one in 300 prc down the road. Less I’m missing something is there a more affordable quick change system ranging from 308-338/300 norma?

Also are you stuck with the stock trigger? Not that it’s bad per se but it was more reminiscent of like an sig legion than a nice bolt rifle trigger.
In regards to the trigger, Timney makes one. The factory stock trigger is available in single stage or double stage and curved or straight. There are pros/cons to each system but the AI, MRAD, M10 and the cadex are all good systems. Ai and Mrad are the most common in use. With the mrad you have the choice of barrel or barrel makers kit(barrel must have minimium of 1.25 in for 5inch shank before it tapers, but it needs that specific extension. With the AI you can have any competent smith spin up and chamber you a barrel.

Reactions: 5RWill
Dear Barrett,
Maybe between a $6,500 rifle and $1,500 caliber conversion kit at least one of them could include an IP30 bit that you call for in your operator's manual? Just say'n.

I look forward to enjoying the Multi-Role-ness of your Adaptive Design after I receive my Amazon shipment of torxplus bits.

Yours Truly

In regards to the trigger, Timney makes one. The factory stock trigger is available in single stage or double stage and curved or straight. There are pros/cons to each system but the AI, MRAD, M10 and the cadex are all good systems. Ai and Mrad are the most common in use. With the mrad you have the choice of barrel or barrel makers kit(barrel must have minimium of 1.25 in for 5inch shank before it tapers, but it needs that specific extension. With the AI you can have any competent smith spin up and chamber you a barrel.
Cost of entry seems lowest for the mrad which is why it’s so appealing to me. Especially after handling one i really liked it.

Cost of entry seems lowest for the mrad which is why it’s so appealing to me. Especially after handling one i really liked it.
DT SRS is another option as well. The others mentioned seem more well-regarded, though.

DT SRS is another option as well. The others mentioned seem more well-regarded, though.
My only thing about the SRS is i don’t really like their mags. I think it’s an incredible system but due to the bulpup design it would be more limited in roll to basically hunting for me. The mrad i could have a spare barrel for for competition for say the wife and then still be my primary setup for ELR.

Would you elaborate on your dislike of the SRS magazines, and how the bullpup design would limit you in your use cases?

My only thing about the SRS is i don’t really like their mags. I think it’s an incredible system but due to the bulpup design it would be more limited in roll to basically hunting for me. The mrad i could have a spare barrel for for competition for say the wife and then still be my primary setup for ELR.

Would you elaborate on your dislike of the SRS magazines, and how the bullpup design would limit you in your use cases?
To my knowledge the srs mags are single stack and single feed. They work but I’d prefer double stack double feed or double stack single feed. That and i wouldn’t want to use the bullpup design in competition which the Barrett i wouldn’t mind.

My point is for me outside of hunting and just range work I’d not have another use for the srs. I won’t hunt with the mrad but i would use it in comp and as a backup rifle.

Last edited:
He mentioned CS was taking care of him, likely sending him a new upper :LOL: easy fix as its a non-serial numbered part.
Obviously. But I was moreso curious as to if they already sent him one, or if he was having to wait.

Did you get this resolved by Barrett?

I think many of us are curious how this process went or is going.

Can anyone confirm if I can run a Surefire SOCOM RC2 762 on the MRAD 300 Norma Mag by using the Surefire 3/4x24 338 muzzle brake? This is my first Magnum round and didn't realize the barrel had 3/4x24 threads. I think I'll get the AML338 but would prefer to not wait a year to shoot this suppressed if I can use my SF can in the mean time.